Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Seeing as he said on a popular sports radio station in New York that he f'n hated the Rangers, which was out of character for him since he's usually shy and boring, I'd say he doesn't want to become a complete villain in Brooklyn by going there.

San Jose makes a lot of sense, Columbus I never thought of. Tavares/Dubois would give them a good middle for the first time in a while. Tavares/Barzal would be hard to leave though. He's a rookie PPG centre!

Always a chance he could go to NJD, since he loves NY.  I think SJ would be the ideal fit.  Great weather/climate, well run organization and they usually always competitive - just the last remaining California team not to win a cup.

as an aside, how sick is it that California teams have 3 cups and Canadian teams none since 93.

16 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

as an aside, how sick is it that California teams have 3 cups and Canadian teams none since 93.

It's not sick at all. When you look at how those teams were built and managed compared to the Canadian teams, it makes a lot of sense.

San Jose: Almost gifted Thornton from the Sharks, never won a Cup but made the final

Anaheim: Made it to the final in 2002 but lost, Gauthier booted, Burke came in, Burke has a pretty good record with trades and cleared Fedorov for next to nothing, got Selanne to take a pay cut, and added Chris Pronger from Edmonton giving him up because he demanded it. Scored two first line players in the 2003 draft we thought Andrei Kostitsyn was the best player available in and won a Cup. Has stayed competitive since.

Los Angeles: Tanked, drafted Dustin Brown, Brian Boyle, Anze Kopitar, Jonathan Quick, Wayne Simmonds, Drew Doughty, Voynov, and Brayden Schenn between 2003 and 2009. Turned Schenn and Simmonds into Richards and Jack Johnson into Jeff Carter. Got Calgary's crappy GM and turned him back into a  very good coach. Won two Cups. 

10 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

It's not sick at all. When you look at how those teams were built and managed compared to the Canadian teams, it makes a lot of sense.

San Jose: Almost gifted Thornton from the Sharks, never won a Cup but made the final

Anaheim: Made it to the final in 2002 but lost, Gauthier booted, Burke came in, Burke has a pretty good record with trades and cleared Fedorov for next to nothing, got Selanne to take a pay cut, and added Chris Pronger from Edmonton giving him up because he demanded it. Scored two first line players in the 2003 draft we thought Andrei Kostitsyn was the best player available in and won a Cup. Has stayed competitive since.

Los Angeles: Tanked, drafted Dustin Brown, Brian Boyle, Anze Kopitar, Jonathan Quick, Wayne Simmonds, Drew Doughty, Voynov, and Brayden Schenn between 2003 and 2009. Turned Schenn and Simmonds into Richards and Jack Johnson into Jeff Carter. Got Calgary's crappy GM and turned him back into a  very good coach. Won two Cups. 

Sorry, poor choice of words - what I meant it is sad that the no Canadian teams have won - for precisely the reason you gave - how badly they are run.

with respect to the ducks, I think Murray set the table and than Burke lucked out by having Scott neidermeyer’s brother on the team and because of that was able to sign him.   The Pronger deal shows just how incompetent Lowe was - we pretty much have the same idiotic GM in MB.

2 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

And if he wanted to come to the Predators, there's absolutely nothing Price and Weber could say to change his mind.

Where did you pull that nugget from...you and Johnny T are tight or something?:popcorn:

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

If he leaves, its not barzal he's leaving... its Garth Snow.

One thing that might help montreal... if the frustration in Long Island is due to the fact that none of the Isles goalies can stop the puck and the Isles didn't get a goalie at the deadline, maybe he wants to play with Price for that reason. 

Still I think this is all a long shot.

95% stay with Isles

2% Sharks

1%?

1% ?

1% Habs

65 eh?

Who was the last "elite' guy, in his prime,  to walk as UFA and sign elsewhere?

Edited by DON
2nd thought

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Always a chance he could go to NJD, since he loves NY.  I think SJ would be the ideal fit.  Great weather/climate, well run organization and they usually always competitive - just the last remaining California team not to win a cup.

Njd could definitely be in the cards. No moving then. Up and Comer with amazing goaltending and the best winger in the league this year.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Brad Richards

Ilya Kovalchuk

Zach Parise and Ryan Suter

Add Marian Hossa, Ed Belfour, Scott Neidermayer, and Zdeno Chara. Though Chara became elite in Boston. The all timer is Scott Stevens but he was an RFA.

Also Kovalchuk was traded to NJ and re-signed. Don't think he counts. 

10 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Njd could definitely be in the cards. No moving then. Up and Comer with amazing goaltending and the best winger in the league this year.

Taylor Hall is yet another case of a team moving a young guy who they think has 'character' issues, and getting bitten on the ass as a result. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Taylor Hall is yet another case of a team moving a young guy who they think has 'character' issues, and getting bitten on the ass as a result. 

Both if those two big trades minutes apart burnt both teams.  Funny thing is if they were moved for each other, both teams would have been much better than they are now.  Hall is not the centre we desparately need, but he can run the offence and is one of the top ten forwards in the game.

as far of the character issues - I think the bigger issue is usually with the character of the management teams, unhappy they don’t have mindless robots.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Having met Taylor Hall a few times, the guy is an empty vessel. He's a bit of a robot. Even when drinking with buddies he will sometimes just stare into nothingness. I think ornery coaches or a GM like Chiarelli would see that as a weakness.

The real problem was pro scouting. If you're gonna trade Hall for a defenceman, get a #1. They got Adam Larsson. If you're gonna trade Eberle for a young centre, get Barzal. They got Strome.

1 minute ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Obviously, but settling for Strome is bad pro scouting.

In rumour news, Brian Wilde is saying all assistant coaches will be dismissed and all coaches in Laval will be dismissed.

Lefevbre may be gone?!?

2 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

According to Wilde that's the rumour. They are cleaning house in coaching with exception to Julien (I wonder if Waite is included.)

I’d be sad to see Waite go.. he’s clearly had success with our goaltenders despite Prices off year. If Everyone goes but him and Julien I’m fine with that. Happy with it even

5 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

According to Wilde that's the rumour. They are cleaning house in coaching with exception to Julien (I wonder if Waite is included.)

Where is he saying this... its not on his twitter. 

2 hours ago, illWill said:

Good, it's been a few posts since someone brought up the Subban trade, I was starting to get worried

The point was not the Subban trade. It is that NHL teams have a track record of 'getting rid' of highly talented young players who they feel have 'character' issues. And they usually end up getting burned as a result. Subban, Hall, Seguin, Kessel are four examples that spring to mind. By contrast, Chicago stood by Patrick Kane and was richly rewarded. The problem lies with the teams' definition of 'character,' which does indeed boil down to conformity and acting like a mindless robot. 'Character' is usually a complete canard, a shibboleth that speaks more to the ossified thinking of a dinosaur management group than anything that actually matters. What matters is whether a guy delivers on the ice. Once upon a time, NHL teams understood this. Sometime in the 1990s that knowledge got burned away in favour of robotic conformity, dressed up as somehow old-school wisdom (even though the 'old school' of the 60s, 70s, and 80s did not subscribe to it).

4 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Ah.. so a one-liner at the end with no detail... he doesn't even say all the assistants or all of laval is fired, he just says quickly that the ax is going to fall on assistants and laval coaches. 

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Ah.. so a one-liner at the end with no detail... he doesn't even say all the assistants or all of laval is fired, he just says quickly that the ax is going to fall on assistants and laval coaches. 

Hence why it's in the rumour thread and not its own thread like a confirmed report like this gem ;)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:
26 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Hence why it's in the rumour thread and not its own thread like a confirmed report like this gem ;)

In rumour news, Brian Wilde is saying all assistant coaches will be dismissed and all coaches in Laval will be dismissed.

Silly me, i was just looking for where he said All assistants and all of laval would be dismissed..... guess that wasn't what he said... and your post is indeed the gem.