Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Silly me, i was just looking for where he said All assistants and all of laval would be dismissed..... guess that wasn't what he said... and your post is indeed the gem. 

The ax is going to fall on assistants and Laval. That can be interpreted as any or all.

I guess they are just going to get murdered instead of dismissed?

You really need to remove the stick up your butt about every detail that isn't to your satisfaction but is easy to understand if you're not looking for something to correct. You're sounding like Craig.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The point was not the Subban trade. It is that NHL teams have a track record of 'getting rid' of highly talented young players who they feel have 'character' issues. And they usually end up getting burned as a result. Subban, Hall, Seguin, Kessel are four examples that spring to mind. By contrast, Chicago stood by Patrick Kane and was richly rewarded. The problem lies with the teams' definition of 'character,' which does indeed boil down to conformity and acting like a mindless robot. 'Character' is usually a complete canard, a shibboleth that speaks more to the ossified thinking of a dinosaur management group than anything that actually matters. What matters is whether a guy delivers on the ice.

It was more so directed at your forum bestie. I guess I should just accept that if I decide to keep reading this site that there will forever be random references of that trade no matter what the subject matter is. 

In other Permanent Rumour Thread news:

These quotes from John Tavares seem to have a different tone than anything else he has previously said about his future. Perhaps they are taken out of context, I don't know, but usually he always said his intention is to stay with the Islanders or something along those lines. I sort of feel bad for the guy, he has been by far his team's best player for almost a decade with only a couple playoff appearances to show for it. His GM didn't help the team at all at the deadline and the arena situation has been and likely will be crap for the next few years. I am hoping Johnnie T finally has had enough 

https://www.tsn.ca/final-home-game-for-tavares-i-don-t-know-1.1047635

11 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

The ax is going to fall on assistants and Laval. That can be interpreted as any or all.

I guess they are just going to get murdered instead of dismissed?

You really need to remove the stick up your butt about every detail that isn't to your satisfaction but is easy to understand if you're not looking for something to correct. You're sounding like Craig.

You were the one who complained about my thread.... i was not going to nit pick the details of your earlier post... but since you felt the need to be a prick about the Joel Bouchard thread, i figured what the hell?

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

You were the one who complained about my thread.... i was not going to nit pick the details of your earlier post... but since you felt the need to be a prick about the Joel Bouchard thread, i figured what the hell?

I was joshing you. Hence a winky face. Not everything is a battle. 

Don'

1 minute ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I was joshing you. Hence a winky face. Not everything is a battle. 

Whatever, if you want to josh someone... Don't cry if they give it back... I included the word "gem" for a reason. 

In any event, let's move on. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, illWill said:

It was more so directed at your forum bestie. I guess I should just accept that if I decide to keep reading this site that there will forever be random references of that trade no matter what the subject matter is. 

In other Permanent Rumour Thread news:

These quotes from John Tavares seem to have a different tone than anything else he has previously said about his future. Perhaps they are taken out of context, I don't know, but usually he always said his intention is to stay with the Islanders or something along those lines. I sort of feel bad for the guy, he has been by far his team's best player for almost a decade with only a couple playoff appearances to show for it. His GM didn't help the team at all at the deadline and the arena situation has been and likely will be crap for the next few years. I am hoping Johnnie T finally has had enough 

https://www.tsn.ca/final-home-game-for-tavares-i-don-t-know-1.1047635

From what I've heard he's frustrated with the club record and the lack of a permanent home. Everyone knew Brooklyn was just until they built something new and that's in the works with Belmont Park. Supposedly co-owner Jon Ledeky went right to Tavares with the news before anyone else. 

With a permanent location in three years it's now about whether he wants to be there when they come back to Long Island. It's just me speculating but I wonder if he saw Buffalo flip their GM quick when Eichel supposedly didn't like him and he wants to see the same happen with Snow. If Snow is gone in a month and Tavares re-signs it'll be hard not to connect those dots.

51 minutes ago, Commandant said:
Phillipe Boucher just resigned from the Remparts. 

Laval bound?

Habs assistant coach? Defence?

Did he ever play with Bergevin?

Most importantly, has he had ANY connection with the Blackhawks organization?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Commandant said:
Phillipe Boucher just resigned from the Remparts. 

Laval bound?

Habs assistant coach? Defence?

Did he ever play with Bergevin?

He actually said he's done coaching.

"I loved being behind the bench, but I'm ready to take on new challenges. Coaching does not interest me anymore and if Benoit Groulx calls me the answer will be no, "he adds, sweeping away information that he is accepting an assistant instructor position at the Syracuse Crunch. This American League team, associated with the Tampa Bay Lightning, is led by his good friend Benoit Groulx.

If we don't get Tavares, and it appears there are not any highly rated, help us now, centres in the upcoming draft, would we get a decent to good #1 centre for Max Pacioretty? Would it have to be Max plus......

Does anyone know who would be some #1 centre possibilities that we might get in return for Max? 

2 hours ago, REV-G said:

If we don't get Tavares, and it appears there are not any highly rated, help us now, centres in the upcoming draft, would we get a decent to good #1 centre for Max Pacioretty? Would it have to be Max plus......

Does anyone know who would be some #1 centre possibilities that we might get in return for Max? 

One year of Pacioretty? Maybe a guy like Henrique who would have one more season available. 

Whether we get Tavares or not we trade Pacioretty before the season starts. If we wait it out tell the deadline we won't get what we want.

Tavares is the top prize July 1st, Pacioretty is the 2nd.  Getting Tavares means we can lower the asking price on Pacioretty.

Pacioretty and a 2nd round pick can land us a top LD.

8 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Whether we get Tavares or not we trade Pacioretty before the season starts. If we wait it out tell the deadline we won't get what we want.

Tavares is the top prize July 1st, Pacioretty is the 2nd.  Getting Tavares means we can lower the asking price on Pacioretty.

That makes no senes.

If we wait to the deadline, we won't get a good deal?  Did you see what Rick Nash got... it wasn't exactly a bunch of garbage. 

Time is on MB's side here.  If there is a good deal, trade him.  If its not a good deal, he can wait. 

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

That makes no senes.

If we wait to the deadline, we won't get a good deal?  Did you see what Rick Nash got... it wasn't exactly a bunch of garbage. 

Time is on MB's side here.  If there is a good deal, trade him.  If its not a good deal, he can wait. 

The deadline is a great time to get picks and prospects, not so much 1 for 1 hockey trades. 

35 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Considering players like Evander Kane, Rick Nash, JVR and James Neal are actual free agents who teams can sign for free without losing any assets, just like John Tavares, Pacioretty is not the second highest prize come July 1st.

If the Habs are holding down a playoff spot, wild card spot, or are close, Pacioretty is going nowhere.  I can't remember the last time the Habs were in a playoff race and traded a player of Pacioretty's caliber.  I have a feeling that the Habs will make the playoffs next year or will be darn close.

29 minutes ago, John B said:

If the Habs are holding down a playoff spot, wild card spot, or are close, Pacioretty is going nowhere.  I can't remember the last time the Habs were in a playoff race and traded a player of Pacioretty's caliber.  I have a feeling that the Habs will make the playoffs next year or will be darn close.

Funny enough unless you count Huet the last time they traded a valuable player when close to a playoff spot was Craig Rivet. The 1st they got for it became Pacioretty. 

52 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Funny enough unless you count Huet the last time they traded a valuable player when close to a playoff spot was Craig Rivet. The 1st they got for it became Pacioretty. 

I'm still pissed off they didn't trade Sheldon Souray. That team had zero chance of doing any damage in the playoffs and Souray's stock was as high as it was ever going to be. Dumb, dumb, dumb. :angry::angry::angry:

It may indeed be a danger that, if we're on the bubble, it will make our genius GM more reluctant to trade Patches for prospects or young players who risk offering less immediate-term help than Pacioretty would. And also, while deadline pressure can indeed ratchet up return, it can also shrink the number of teams competing for the asset, as non-contenders fall away and the Habs decline to trade him to Conference rivals who they might run into in the playoffs. Coherent long-term vision has never been this management group's strength.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm still pissed off they didn't trade Sheldon Souray. That team had zero chance of doing any damage in the playoffs and Souray's stock was as high as it was ever going to be. Dumb, dumb, dumb. :angry::angry::angry:

It may indeed be a danger that, if we're on the bubble, it will make our genius GM more reluctant to trade Patches for prospects or young players who risk offering less immediate-term help than Pacioretty would. And also, while deadline pressure can indeed ratchet up return, it can also shrink the number of teams competing for the asset, as non-contenders fall away and the Habs decline to trade him to Conference rivals who they might run into in the playoffs. Coherent long-term vision has never been this management group's strength.

Why is I so important for the team to get younger, when it’s already one of the youngest teams in the league? 

19 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Why is I so important for the team to get younger, when it’s already one of the youngest teams in the league? 

It's useful because this team has a great big grand total of ZERO elite young players. Its elite players are Price (he'll be 31), Weber (33), and Patches (30).

The Gal(l)ys are pretty good players, but not top-end guys.

The Hudons, etc., are likely to be second-tier players at best. Not an elite talent in the bunch.

Why NOT try to turn Pacioretty into a core piece who can help us for years to come, rather than go along with an increasingly elderly core and no elite replacements for those guys?

But this wasn't really my main point in that post. All I was saying was that we should try to get maximum return for Pacioretty, and that, while the deadline can help that cause in some ways, it can detract from it in others. This wasn't to argue, though, that we MUST trade Patches before the deadline. It was a more abstract point than that.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Rivet, Souray, and Ryder should have all been traded. Ryder had a solid season but there was talk he was definitely going to UFA. With all the wingers coming up he got lost in the shuffle in 07/08. Trading him in 06-07 when he was a 30 goal winger at the deadline with one more season would have been a haul less than the Tkachuk and Smyth returns but still comparable. Teams were giving out 1sts like candy that year. Instead only Rivet was moved and Ryder stayed for one more season, it was mediocre, and went to UFA for nothing.

24 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's useful because this team has a great big grand total of ZERO elite young players. Its elite players are Price (he'll be 31), Weber (33), and Patches (30).

The Gal(l)ys are pretty good players, but not top-end guys.

The Hudons, etc., are likely to be second-tier players at best. Not an elite talent in the bunch.

Why NOT try to turn Pacioretty into a core piece who can help us for years to come, rather than go along with an increasingly elderly core and no elite replacements for those guys?

But this wasn't really my main point in that post. All I was saying was that we should try to get maximum return for Pacioretty, and that, while the deadline can help that cause in some ways, it can detract from it in others. This wasn't to argue, though, that we MUST trade Patches before the deadline. It was a more abstract point than that.

Trading Pacioretty for someone younger will likely change the team’s average age from 26.8 to 26.7. It’s not like we’re going to become extremely younger by trading him because Pacioretty is old.

With Price’s, Weber’s and Pacioretty’s age getting up there, this is precisely why we should try to make our team better in the short term without mortgaging the future. Help them win here.

I seem to be in the minority but personally that glaring 8 million in cap space is what I would first focus my attention on. Use it wisely and it can help us be a better team now.

As for Pacioretty’s value, the argument seems to be that the longer we wait, the lower his value will be. We didn’t trade him this season when teams would get two playoff runs out of him and yet people who said we should trade him this year because our return will likely be better will still want him traded “whenever”. The argument is now that he should be traded ASAP because his value will be higher. Well, this was already the case before.

As for Pacioretty himself, I’ve already posted trade proposals with him included, but it seems to go completely over people’s heads that he can still be a helpful piece for another 5-6 years himself. 

Trading Pacioretty for a core piece who is also younger can be said for Weber, Price, Pacioretty and even players like Gallagher and Byron. 

It’s nice to say that we should trade Pacioretty for a core piece who will help for years to come but the only certainty I see is that Pacioretty himself is a core piece who can help for years to come. Some people are proposing that he should be traded based on a timeline regardless if a beneficial trade is actually available out there. 

As for Pacioretty being clearly unhappy in Montreal and wanting to leave, everything I’ve heard him say points in the other direction. Of course he’s not going to come out and explicitly say he wants out, but it seemed to be apparent common knowledge that he wanted to leave (which I never believed) and now here is he a few days ago saying how he wants to be part of the solution and that he loves it here in Montreal.