Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Some rumbling out of Pittsburgh that they may be looking to move Phil Kessel. Montreal has some great hot dogs

Although he likely wouldn't have the Habs on his list of possible destinations, it's fun to dream about acquiring a player of his ilk 

2 hours ago, illWill said:

Some rumbling out of Pittsburgh that they may be looking to move Phil Kessel. Montreal has some great hot dogs

Although he likely wouldn't have the Habs on his list of possible destinations, it's fun to dream about acquiring a player of his ilk 

Our Phil is Pacioretty, so we don't need him.

6 hours ago, illWill said:

I think the Habs were actually on his approved list when the Leafs were dealing him; it was part of the reason Montreal was speculated as a possible destination.

7 hours ago, illWill said:

Is a RWer, so no thanks, bigger fish to fry up middle and on backend.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Is a RWer, so no thanks, bigger fish to fry up middle and on backend.

Plus he is an exciting player who refuses to be a robot, so he's automatically anathema to this organization.

Despite having been comparatively optimistic about Tavares, I think that once NYI bagged Lamorellio our meagre chances thinned out like a dieting supermodel. Here comes Tyler Bozak!

19 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Plus he is an exciting player who refuses to be a robot, so he's automatically anathema to this organization.

Despite having been comparatively optimistic about Tavares, I think that once NYI bagged Lamorellio our meagre chances thinned out like a dieting supermodel. Here comes Tyler Bozak!

I hope if they swing and miss on Tavares, they don't look to Free Agency for a top C solution, because there simply isn't one. Only through trade can the player be found, and likely going to have to be a high level prospect C, before its a active NHL top C.

Personally, I'd rather go with Drouin and Danault before I'd want them to spend needless cap hits on Bozak. And its not that I think Bozak sucks, he is a useful player, but we need a real Top C, either currently, or potentially going to be in a season or 2. Bozak is basically another Danault, a solid all around player capable of flirting with the 40 - 45 point mark, that's fine and dandy. But our need is clearly a C who can play on a top line and flirt with 60 to 70 points, and I'm quite frankly done using chewed bubble gum to fill that hole, I hope this front office is too.

13 minutes ago, Link67 said:

I hope if they swing and miss on Tavares, they don't look to Free Agency for a top C solution, because there simply isn't one. Only through trade can the player be found, and likely going to have to be a high level prospect C, before its a active NHL top C.

Personally, I'd rather go with Drouin and Danault before I'd want them to spend needless cap hits on Bozak. And its not that I think Bozak sucks, he is a useful player, but we need a real Top C, either currently, or potentially going to be in a season or 2. Bozak is basically another Danault, a solid all around player capable of flirting with the 40 - 45 point mark, that's fine and dandy. But our need is clearly a C who can play on a top line and flirt with 60 to 70 points, and I'm quite frankly done using chewed bubble gum to fill that hole, I hope this front office is too.

I hope that if they miss out on Tavares they don't over pay for someone like they over paid Alzner.

38 minutes ago, Metallica said:

I hope that if they miss out on Tavares they don't over pay for someone like they over paid Alzner.

I think they’ll probably back up the. Brinks truck for Stasny and pay him like a #1 centre.

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think they’ll probably back up the. Brinks truck for Stasny and pay him like a #1 centre.

Stastny would probably be the nearest thing to a plausible Plan B, even if he is yet another case of the Habs trying to pretend at #2C is a #1C. And he'd likely be a good addition for a couple of years. I could see, for instance, the Habs going six games in Round One and praising him as a key cog in this 'comeback' season :rolleyes: I like him, but it's the back half of that contract that is almost a guaranteed millstone.

4 hours ago, Link67 said:

Bozak is basically another Danault, a solid all around player capable of flirting with the 40 - 45 point mark, that's fine and dandy. But our need is clearly a C who can play on a top line and flirt with 60 to 70 points, and I'm quite frankly done using chewed bubble gum to fill that hole, I hope this front office is too.

Drouin-Bozak-Danault is (pre-Vegas) expansion-team stuff. The joke is, it's actually an improvement on the garbage we put out there last season. Hell, if the cap weren't a consideration it might make more sense to sign BOTH Bozak and Stastny, moving Drouin back to wing where he is most at home. This is less a serious proposal and more a reflection of how utterly laughable our situation at C really is.

If we wanted to be really ultra-optimistic, however, we could argue that with Drouin-Bozak-Danault represents a "roll three lines" approach where there is no #1C, just a series of decent C all surrounded by decent W...the idea being that if you have three interchangeable lines, that can actually make your team harder to shut down. I doubt this will work, but don't be shocked if you hear MB citing Vegas as an example of how to build a FW configuration in today's NHL, etc., etc., etc..

I really don’t think MB signs a center via FA (except of course if it’s Tavares).  With all the trade currency currently being shopped (Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, McCarron, Benn, Carr) my guess is he goes after a younger, unestablished player with the hopes that Julien/Ducharme/Muller can train them.  I also expect them to get Kotkaniemi in the draft - he’s the next Saku Koivu.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Other than being from the same country and being a centre... there isnt a lot in common between saku and kotkaniemi.  Nothing alike as players.

Yes, the Montreal media likes him as Saku Koivu.

https://frshockey.com/nhl/canadiens/friedman-thinks-pacioretty-still-likely-getting-dealt/amp/

Friedman thinks Pacioretty will be traded, and says that Florida is a likely destination. I doubt Max can bring in a return involving a top 6 centreman, but the Panthers have the 15th overall pick this draft, and probably quite a bit of pressure from fans to perform better next season after handing Vegas two top line guys. There's probably a deal that can be made there. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Trizzak said:

https://frshockey.com/nhl/canadiens/friedman-thinks-pacioretty-still-likely-getting-dealt/amp/

Friedman thinks Pacioretty will be traded, and says that Florida is a likely destination. I doubt Max can bring in a return involving a top 6 centreman, but the Panthers have the 15th overall pick this draft, and probably quite a bit of pressure from fans to perform better next season after handing Vegas two top line guys. There's probably a deal that can be made there. 

Bergevin asking for Trocheck is wild. I'll give him credit, that takes balls to make an ask like that at the deadline for your struggling winger. Of course, being ballsy isn't exactly being productive. If he gets Borgstrom from him for Pacioretty it'll be a win for us, same with 15th overall. That's why my proposal was Borgstrom or 15th overall, Mamin or Gildon, plus we take McGinn for cap/trade him at the deadline.

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

i think he'll be moved for a center straight up. 

Don't know if it's Florida or not 

Florida seems the right fit since they are in the market for a winger and Pacioretty might like to go there (he doesn't have any trade restrictions so we can move him anywhere). But Calgary is also in the market and made inquiries for both Pacioretty and Hoffman at the deadline, only to not be happy with the price. I'm betting Anaheim is in the market too, they are weak on the left side. All good teams to trade with. 

Pacioretty had value to be for a centre straight up back in 2016, but not today. He's a one year rental.

Also is this note from a  PHR bit:

"Though trade rumors have swirled around Montreal Canadiens captain Max Pacioretty for the better part of a year, there may be more evidence to support an upcoming contract extension. Darren Dreger of TSN reported on Insider Trading that GM Marc Bergevin and agent Pat Brisson of CAA have had “preliminary discussions” about a potential extension for Pacioretty. While Dreger can’t handicap the chances of it happening, the idea of Pacioretty being moved this summer may not be as likely as some had believed. The two sides could sign a contract extension as early as July 1st, though terms can be agreed upon at any time."

Edited by DON
fix