Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

I can't open that link for some reason, but Ray Feraro did a little scope on Hanafin. Bascally said his ceiling is a 30-40 pt guy. 

That's not to say we shouldn't be in on him, but I think the #3 pick is way too much 

Sorry, link works for me.

Basically says he is #4 d-man on Carolina and they have couple more d-prospects, so is expendable.

But, his offense went from 4g, 4g and then last year 10g 31pts, is just 21with 230games under belt and Friedman says offense upside may be quite high and good skater, but defense isn't the best. And he wondered whether Canucks should offer up the #7 pick for him.

I think would fit darn well on Habs, but probably not at cost of #3 pick?

11 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Friedman believes Bergevin is eyeing "one of the defensemen" with the 1st round pick, and could trade down if he thinks he can still get one.

Also mentions that he's been told that ownership has told management to stock up on picks and prospects this year, and that missing the playoffs again is acceptable as long as there is improvement.

15 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Friedman believes Bergevin is eyeing "one of the defensemen" with the 1st round pick, and could trade down if he thinks he can still get one.

I think Quinn Hughes is our best bet.  I'd rather him than Zadina, honestly. 

The way he played at the World Championships has me convinced he's going to be a premium puck mover at the NHL level.  

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I think Quinn Hughes is our best bet.  I'd rather him than Zadina, honestly. 

The way he played at the World Championships has me convinced he's going to be a premium puck mover at the NHL level.  

I guess Zadina was right then. 

Might be an opportunity to trade down if that's the case, unless we know Ottawa and Arizona are searching for a defenceman.

45 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

I find it highly unlikely Bergevin drafts another d-man with a top 10 pick 

Why? its not like the last one is still on the team. 

This franchise also has a gigantic hole, both on the team, and in the system, at Left Defence.

This is going to wander all over, because for every report that he is going to do such and such, there is another report suggesting he will do something else. For instance, Bergevin himself said, the Canadiens were not going to draft based on needs, but based on the best player available who projected to have the highest potential ceiling. Then we have reports suggesting we will trade down to pick a Center. There is other reports suggesting we might trade down for a Dman, I mean you can see where this is going right? 

We basically have no clue what is going to happen until Timmins gets on that podium, but based on the only report coming straight from the horses mouth, we are likely taking Zadina at 3rd overall, since he is highly regarded as the next best player after Svechnikov. If we are to take a Kotkaniemi, or a Hughes, we better not be doing it from 3rd spot. You don't want Zadina because he doesn't help you in your areas of need, Fine (Jesus that sounds crazy) But like hell if we should be giving Ottawa a franchise goal scoring winger on a Silver platter though. You know every plan they have for this draft, is built around the top 3 very likely being Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Zadina. You also know they are just foaming at the mouth, at the slightest chance Bergevin does something off the wall and leaves Zadina on the board for them. Zadina stands the best chance of making us eat crow for passing on him compared to anyone else available at #3. So if we leave him up for grabs, he will be taken by the very next team, Ottawa, and we will get slaughtered on all fronts about it for years the moment he starts being a top 7 goal scorer in this league. That is a Fate I do not care to endure, so in my opinion, if you don't take Zadina, you trade down for someone who will, we must under no circumstance leave him available freely, for a divisional rival, who can make us pay for it 6 games a year and possibly a couple playoff rounds during the next decade.

34 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Why? its not like the last one is still on the team. 

This franchise also has a gigantic hole, both on the team, and in the system, at Left Defence.

Could happen. I just think a forward is on their agenda. Definetly a need for defense too though..

21 minutes ago, Habopotamus said:

Could happen. I just think a forward is on their agenda. Definetly a need for defense too though..

Timmins has selected 6 defencemen on 15 first round picks: Fischer, McDonaugh, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Juulsen, and Sergachev. Add 1 goalie (Price), 4 centres (Chipchura, Leblanc, Galchenyuk, Poehling), 1 lefty (Pacioretty), and 3 righties (Kostitsyn, McCarron, Scherbak)

He's always had a bias on selecting defencemen. His second choice in 2005 if not Price was Marc Staal. Not surprised if he wants a blueliner.

I see Zadina as replacement for Pacioretty in one to two years. He would need a 1st line center the same way #67 does

Keeping the 3rd overall pick allows the CH to trade for a center. Oterwise, they should trade down and keep Patches 

3 hours ago, Link67 said:

This is going to wander all over, because for every report that he is going to do such and such, there is another report suggesting he will do something else. For instance, Bergevin himself said, the Canadiens were not going to draft based on needs, but based on the best player available who projected to have the highest potential ceiling. Then we have reports suggesting we will trade down to pick a Center. There is other reports suggesting we might trade down for a Dman, I mean you can see where this is going right? 

We basically have no clue what is going to happen until Timmins gets on that podium, but based on the only report coming straight from the horses mouth, we are likely taking Zadina at 3rd overall, since he is highly regarded as the next best player after Svechnikov. If we are to take a Kotkaniemi, or a Hughes, we better not be doing it from 3rd spot. You don't want Zadina because he doesn't help you in your areas of need, Fine (Jesus that sounds crazy) But like hell if we should be giving Ottawa a franchise goal scoring winger on a Silver platter though. You know every plan they have for this draft, is built around the top 3 very likely being Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Zadina. You also know they are just foaming at the mouth, at the slightest chance Bergevin does something off the wall and leaves Zadina on the board for them. Zadina stands the best chance of making us eat crow for passing on him compared to anyone else available at #3. So if we leave him up for grabs, he will be taken by the very next team, Ottawa, and we will get slaughtered on all fronts about it for years the moment he starts being a top 7 goal scorer in this league. That is a Fate I do not care to endure, so in my opinion, if you don't take Zadina, you trade down for someone who will, we must under no circumstance leave him available freely, for a divisional rival, who can make us pay for it 6 games a year and possibly a couple playoff rounds during the next decade.

I'm not convinced that Zadina is on another level from the other options like Hughes, Wahlstrom, Boqvist, etc.... 

Obviously Dahlin is in a league of his own.  Svechnikov is easily number two and there isn't a player close to him.  But I've always said that while I have Zadina third, he's not that far ahead of the rest of the top guys.  Would it surprise me if Timmins honestly believes Quinn Hughes is the best player available?  No. 

Lets also remember that this is the same Trevor Timmins who decided Carey Price was the best player available in a draft where everyone had a clear top 5, and Gilbert Brule was part of that 5.  The Blue Jackets were shocked when he was there. So just because the concensus says that he's 3, doesn't mean Timmins thinks he's the best player available. 

Two years ago we had this same scenario, with everyone assuming Jesse Puljujarvi was the clear #3.  Columbus didn't think so. 

In 2013, everyone said the top 3 was MacKinnon, Drouin and Jones... well Florida took Barkov and they don't regret that. 

5 hours ago, Link67 said:

I really hope the imbeciles running the organization are not worrying about considerations like "if we don't take Zadina, Ottawa will take him and he will burn us for years to come." The organization should pick the best player according to the considered opinion of the people it pays to do expert prospect evaluation. Period.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I really hope the imbeciles running the organization are not worrying about considerations like "if we don't take Zadina, Ottawa will take him and he will burn us for years to come." The organization should pick the best player according to the considered opinion of the people it pays to do expert prospect evaluation. Period.

Well I loved reading the interview with Timmons where he said one of the big red flags for him is whether players are on video games, because they may not be getting enough sleep and recovery.  He cited Hemsky as an example during his draft interview - it almost sounded like he was citing it as a reason for passing on Hemsky.  The habs picked komisarik that year. I’m not a big video game of video games myself, but if I’ve got the choice between a skilled player that as a friggin 17/18 year old plays too much video games versus a big, physically fit and physically  developed less skilled player, I’m taking the skilled player.

if Zadina is the most skilled player that you project to be a top scoring winger you take him.  If it’s close on pure SKILL between him and someone else, than take another player, but take who you think is tj best friggin player available, without over psycho analyIng the other factors.

i love how in the past two years, three ex-habs were in the final, while MB has been trying to acquire the players that will get us through the playoffs.  How about making the friggin play-offs first!!!

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Well I loved reading the interview with Timmons where he said one of the big red flags for him is whether players are on video games, because they may not be getting enough sleep and recovery.  He cited Hemsky as an example during his draft interview - it almost sounded like he was citing it as a reason for passing on Hemsky.  The habs picked komisarik that year. I’m not a big video game of video games myself, but if I’ve got the choice between a skilled player that as a friggin 17/18 year old plays too much video games versus a big, physically fit and physically  developed less skilled player, I’m taking the skilled player.

if Zadina is the most skilled player that you project to be a top scoring winger you take him.  If it’s close on pure SKILL between him and someone else, than take another player, but take who you think is tj best friggin player available, without over psycho analyIng the other factors.

i love how in the past two years, three ex-habs were in the final, while MB has been trying to acquire the players that will get us through the playoffs.  How about making the friggin play-offs first!!!

This whole "video game" thing sounds like a total case-study to me in Old School Old Boys simply not relating to Millennials - with the old geezers confusing their inability to relate with "character problems" in the young. It reeks of fossilized conservatism, and the teams that start emphasizing irrelevant horsesh*t like that are the ones that are going to fall behind over time.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

This whole "video game" thing sounds like a total case-study to me in Old School Old Boys simply not relating to Millennials - with the old geezers confusing their inability to relate with "character problems" in the young. It reeks of fossilized conservatism, and the teams that start emphasizing irrelevant horsesh*t like that are the ones that are going to fall behind over time.

When you think about it, the only guy we know who plays videogames on the Habs is Marc Bergevin.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You took the words out of my mouth.

Like what kind of narrow minded bullshit is that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

When you think about it, the only guy we know who plays videogames on the Habs is Marc Bergevin.

Gotta wonder if he got fired in GM mode...

• Upvote 2

Any source on this? I can only find a single tweet saying it from some random (ie not a verified reporter) account.

Youd think if tavares was in montreal, hanging out with a habs player, someone in the media would be reporting it.

Am i missing a real report?