Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

12 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I must admit I have respect for Lou Lamoriello so that’s a preface to my statement here but I find it somewhat amusing in a sadistic way towards the Habs that after losing Tavares, Lamoriello has gone out and taken a flyer on players like Filpulla and Kovar. Perhaps both will be a bust, but they are low cost options for a team who lacks center depth. Rather than trade Weber or Pacioretty to fill a need, those are the types of signings I would make as GM until the youngsters in Kotkaniemi and Poehling are ready to take the reigns.

I really feel that we should have added a center outside of the obvious Plekanec this off season. I don’t believe Filpulla was a popular signing in New York, and I doubt that he would have been a popular signing here, but with Filpulla and Kovar, one can at least see that Lamoriello attempted to tackle the problem right away.

Filppula reportedly nixed a trade to the Habs on deadline day when he went to the Flyers a year or two ago. I’d say he had no interest in coming here.

• Upvote 1

From Marc-Antoine Godin of The Athletic (paywall):

The possibility of the Canadiens reversing course and signing Max Pacioretty to a contract extension appears to no longer exist.  According to what an NHL source told The Athletic, general manager Marc Bergevin has told his captain there will be no contract negotiation and that his intention is to trade Pacioretty as soon as possible.

https://theathletic.com/427180/2018/07/10/source-the-canadiens-have-told-max-pacioretty-they-will-not-negotiate-a-contract-extension/

Way to go Bergevin. Now teams can low ball you because you need to trade Pacioretty.?

I wonder how much he is asking for, for Bergevin not wanting to resign him.

2 hours ago, Metallica said:

Way to go Bergevin. Now teams can low ball you because you need to trade Pacioretty.?

I wonder how much he is asking for, for Bergevin not wanting to resign him.

Yes, cause no one knew that we were trading Pacioretty before today

1 hour ago, Habopotamus said:

What do you gain buy coming out and saying that? 

Its an NHL source coming out and saying it, not Bergevin, does he have control over what type of reports come out on Social Media or something? 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yes, cause no one knew that we were trading Pacioretty before today

Yes but now hes desperate to trade him. He could of always resign him.  Teams can low ball him. He can't wait tell the deadline other wise he won't get what he wants for him.

A good GM can still extract value.  He just has to play GMs off each other.  As long as two or more teams are interested, he shouldn't allow himself to be lowballed. 

Nothing changed today, everyone knew we wanted to trade him.

3 minutes ago, Metallica said:

Yes but now hes desperate to trade him. He could of always resign him.  Teams can low ball him.

Everyone low balls everything they try to make a deal with its the nature of the deal, however the context can change rather quickly.

If you really want the item, and you know the other party really wants to part with it, you could go into that mode where you think you could low ball them because they are negotiating from a weaker position. However what you must account for are the potential many suitors for the same item, and all their background offers you know nothing about. So if you really do want the item, do you low ball knowing you will likely be outbid by one of the other suitors to try to get a favorable deal? Do you really have the power, or do you have to present your best offer that you are comfortable with, in hopes it outbids the others, how ever many there might be,

House on the market you are really interested in, you check out the open house, its ticks all the boxes, priced to sell and the owner wants to be rid of it quickly, he is asking 299,999$. During your short time at the open house you notice at least 10 different families come through, 3 or 4 talk among themselves about putting in an offer. You and your wife really like it, you can afford it, you really want to get this house. It seems others will be getting in on it as well, do you offer 275,000$ or do you offer 300,000$

See what context can do to a negotiation

6 minutes ago, Link67 said:

Everyone low balls everything they try to make a deal with its the nature of the deal, however the context can change rather quickly.

If you really want the item, and you know the other party really wants to part with it, you could go into that mode where you think you could low ball them because they are negotiating from a weaker position. However what you must account for are the potential many suitors for the same item, and all their background offers you know nothing about. So if you really do want the item, do you low ball knowing you will likely be outbid by one of the other suitors to try to get a favorable deal? Do you really have the power, or do you have to present your best offer that you are comfortable with, in hopes it outbids the others, how ever many there might be,

House on the market you are really interested in, you check out the open house, its ticks all the boxes, priced to sell and the owner wants to be rid of it quickly, he is asking 299,999$. During your short time at the open house you notice at least 10 different families come through, 3 or 4 talk among themselves about putting in an offer. You and your wife really like it, you can afford it, you really want to get this house. It seems others will be getting in on it as well, do you offer 275,000$ or do you offer 300,000$

See what context can do to a negotiation

Alright, now how many teams are legitimately interested in putting in an offer for Pacioretty for that “right price”?

42 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Alright, now how many teams are legitimately interested in putting in an offer for Pacioretty for that “right price”?

No way to know for certain but I would imagine, New York Islanders, San Jose, Vegas

I would also imagine any team who was trying but ultimately missed out on Tavares, and whoever takes a swing at Karlsson and misses in the end. Those teams were trying to add a Marquee player and had a plan to fit their massive Salaries in their roster. Pacioretty would be the consolation prize to any team after those guys who fails, but still needs to make a splash for one reason or another.

You could end up adding Dallas, Tampa, and even Florida who was long rumored to be after him since the deadline. The list could easily reach 5 teams, even 3 or 4 would be sufficient to bring on a bidding war capable of at least allowing us to walk away with a very fair market deal. 

I honestly don't understand why this team is so desperate to trade pacioretty.

Soon to be 30 and wants too much term?

MB incapable of having positive relationships with large number of players?

Do you guys think Pacioretty camp leaked this to get a trade done sooner rather than later?

Or did Bergevin camp leak it to generate more trade interest in Pacioretty?

I dunno. It's pretty common for a team to generate a "sweepstakes" for an impact player. In such times, everyone knows the player is on the block. So I'm not sure we lose huge leverage by saying we intend to trade him (if that's in fact what MB said).

The only thing that troubles me slightly is that the tone of that report - "there will be no contract negotiation" - seems a bit on the sniffy side, as if MB got pissed off. Which is also what seems to have happened with Markov, and during the Subban negotiations. It seems consistent with MB's modus operandi that he would make major decisions based on being in a snit over a guy playing hardball.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I dunno. It's pretty common for a team to generate a "sweepstakes" for an impact player. In such times, everyone knows the player is on the block. So I'm not sure we lose huge leverage by saying we intend to trade him (if that's in fact what MB said).

The only thing that troubles me slightly is that the tone of that report - "there will be no contract negotiation" - seems a bit on the sniffy side, as if MB got pissed off. Which is also what seems to have happened with Markov, and during the Subban negotiations. It seems consistent with MB's modus operandi that he would make major decisions based on being in a snit over a guy playing hardball.

I agree.  It's rather confusing.  Pacioretty has been one of the leagues best scorers since 2011. I don't see why MB would say this. I understand wanting to trade him.  Value and all.  But if there is no deal,  you should be trying to sign him. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

At this point I don't think Bergevin has much agency. I think he wanted to re-sign him (he was still trying to negotiate with him up to the draft) and now there's no negotiation? I think Molson didn't want him re-signed.

I feel like Bergevin's last move that was his was the Domi/Galchenyuk trade. Everything since feels like it's not his call. Or rather, he can't do anything without Molson stamping it. There were a lot of reports on who Bergevin was negotiating with at free agency, and he signed none of them except Peca and Ouellett. If the goal was still to make the playoffs, Pacioretty would be re-signed and we would have went hard at De Haan and likely picked up a Roussel when he didn't need to. Instead, we're pretty much sitting still with the same roster as last season's disaster, minus Galchenyuk. 

Sorry, I'm skeptical this is Bergevin's chosen strategy.

12 hours ago, sim.on said:

I honestly don't understand why this team is so desperate to trade pacioretty.

Soon to be 30 and wants too much term?

MB incapable of having positive relationships with large number of players?

Touché.

12 hours ago, Metallica said:

Do you guys think Pacioretty camp leaked this to get a trade done sooner rather than later?

Or did Bergevin camp leak it to generate more trade interest in Pacioretty?

I think this is Allan Walsh's doing - let's not forget that he's actually quoted in the article from The Athletic.  It's well-known that Pacioretty is out there so I don't think Bergevin needed to do anything else to make that known.  By this coming out, it could up the pressure on Bergevin to move him sooner than later - that stands to benefit Pacioretty more than the team which makes me think this is coming from his camp.  (Plus Walsh does stuff like this routinely - it's right up his wheelhouse.)

I'm curious what teams are interested in Pacioretty and what the Habs will get in return.  I have very little confidence that I will like the return.  I don't think teams are going to give up a whole lot.  Bergevin's back is against the wall.  If he wants to move him, he has until the trade deadline at which point he will be forced to move him for whatever he can get or lose him for nothing.  I'm hoping for the best (Duchene type deal where Sakic looked like a genius for waiting), but preparing for the worst (Vanek type deal where Snow got shafted).