Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

18 minutes ago, John B said:

I'm curious what teams are interested in Pacioretty and what the Habs will get in return.  I have very little confidence that I will like the return.  I don't think teams are going to give up a whole lot.  Bergevin's back is against the wall.  If he wants to move him, he has until the trade deadline at which point he will be forced to move him for whatever he can get or lose him for nothing.  I'm hoping for the best (Duchene type deal where Sakic looked like a genius for waiting), but preparing for the worst (Vanek type deal where Snow got shafted).

Rangers waited until the deadline with Rick Nash, who was having the worst season his career at age 33 (he still hasn't been signed this summer) and the Bruins still gave up a 19 year old defenceman, Ryan Spooner, and a 1st round pick (Rangers agreed to take Beleskey to help Boston's cap but that's something we'd do too).

The deadline next year I'm not sure who will be available. Skinner and Panarin are potentially better and both younger than Pacioretty, but after those three? It falls down to Vanek, Hagelin, McGinn, Raffl, and Byron. There won't be much available. If Pacioretty gets to the deadline and Skinner/Panarin are gone, he's by far the crown jewel of the left wing free agents at the deadline. Winger wise he's competing with Eberle, Simmonds, Nyquist, and Zuccarrello. So no matter what he's sitting pretty as one of the Top 5 best wingers at the deadline, maybe top 3.

The Islanders and Vanek was a special issue. It was the worst kept secret in hockey that Vanek wanted to sign with Minnesota. Buffalo knew it and was happy to trade him. Garth Snow thought Vanek would change his mind playing with Tavares. He didn't. Snow then tried to get back as much as he gave up for Vanek and everyone was balking until all he had in front of him with an hour or so to go at the deadline was Bergevin's 2nd rounder and Collberg. 

Bergevin should get a great return for Pacioretty. This might be the easiest thing he will have to do at his job. I would personally rather he get traded now than later so there is no mystery to how bad the team will be and that this is indeed a tank season, but if the team waits on it and waits for maybe Pacioretty to rip it up in his contract year and we get even more value for him? That might be better. Either way, the only way Bergevin screws this up is if he insists on a roster player who can come in and contribute immediately and we get a lesser return on draft picks so Bergevin can brag about getting Jason Zucker or something like that. Otherwise? I'm not worried.

1 hour ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Rangers waited until the deadline with Rick Nash, who was having the worst season his career at age 33 (he still hasn't been signed this summer) and the Bruins still gave up a 19 year old defenceman, Ryan Spooner, and a 1st round pick (Rangers agreed to take Beleskey to help Boston's cap but that's something we'd do too).

The deadline next year I'm not sure who will be available. Skinner and Panarin are potentially better and both younger than Pacioretty, but after those three? It falls down to Vanek, Hagelin, McGinn, Raffl, and Byron. There won't be much available. If Pacioretty gets to the deadline and Skinner/Panarin are gone, he's by far the crown jewel of the left wing free agents at the deadline. Winger wise he's competing with Eberle, Simmonds, Nyquist, and Zuccarrello. So no matter what he's sitting pretty as one of the Top 5 best wingers at the deadline, maybe top 3.

The Islanders and Vanek was a special issue. It was the worst kept secret in hockey that Vanek wanted to sign with Minnesota. Buffalo knew it and was happy to trade him. Garth Snow thought Vanek would change his mind playing with Tavares. He didn't. Snow then tried to get back as much as he gave up for Vanek and everyone was balking until all he had in front of him with an hour or so to go at the deadline was Bergevin's 2nd rounder and Collberg. 

Bergevin should get a great return for Pacioretty. This might be the easiest thing he will have to do at his job. I would personally rather he get traded now than later so there is no mystery to how bad the team will be and that this is indeed a tank season, but if the team waits on it and waits for maybe Pacioretty to rip it up in his contract year and we get even more value for him? That might be better. Either way, the only way Bergevin screws this up is if he insists on a roster player who can come in and contribute immediately and we get a lesser return on draft picks so Bergevin can brag about getting Jason Zucker or something like that. Otherwise? I'm not worried.

The reason Pacioretty is still a hab is Pacioretty himself. He stopped at least 1 trade  to LA and theres been rumors that he stopped at least 2 other trades because he couldn't get the money he was asking for. Which lead to Pacioretty firing his agent. 

So to speed this up does Pacioretty have to come down on the amount he's asking for?

Nash was

1) Older

2) Also a playoff failure

3) Scored less goals in recent seasons. 

4) Had a higher cap hit

5) Was a deadline rental, and not with the team all season. 

And the Rangers had just released a letter to their fans saying... we are rebuilding and trading a bunch of players who you love. 

Basically they were in a much worse situation, and still got a lot for Nash. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Arizona doing the deal Montreal should be doing. 

Hinostroza was the centrepiece of the deal and is probably best used as an offensive-minded third liner and the Habs already have enough of those fringey-type guys.  If I was Bergevin, I'd have been asking for more than that to take on three years of that contract.  Arizona adds depth but nothing of substance; the Habs already have a fair bit of depth.

37 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Hinostroza was the centrepiece of the deal and is probably best used as an offensive-minded third liner and the Habs already have enough of those fringey-type guys.  If I was Bergevin, I'd have been asking for more than that to take on three years of that contract.  Arizona adds depth but nothing of substance; the Habs already have a fair bit of depth.

Yeah, he's a speed demon Q wasn't a big fan of. Coyotes likely hoping he becomes their Arvidsson. I could see him playing with Galchenyuk.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Deslaurier-Plekanec-McCarron on the 4th? 

What are the odds :nuts:

I'm hoping 0%.  McCarron has no business making the team (aside from maybe being the spare forward with Byron/Shaw on IR to start the year).  I think Plekanec is probably the 3C to start and I wouldn't be shocked if Deslauriers is a reserve forward when everyone's healthy.

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm hoping 0%.  McCarron has no business making the team (aside from maybe being the spare forward with Byron/Shaw on IR to start the year).  I think Plekanec is probably the 3C to start and I wouldn't be shocked if Deslauriers is a reserve forward when everyone's healthy.

I know, I know.... I am just throwing that out for the heck of it

I think a line in Laval of Agostini-Froese-McCarrron is more plausible 

To piggyback off of Pacioretty's agent saying the trade to LA was a DONE DEAL pending a contract extension, I've been reading that the return would have been Jake Muzzin and Jaret Anderson-Dolan. Would anyone here have been happy with that return for a non-rental Pacioretty?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

To piggyback off of Pacioretty's agent saying the trade to LA was a DONE DEAL pending a contract extension, I've been reading that the return would have been Jake Muzzin and Jaret Anderson-Dolan. Would anyone here have been happy with that return for a non-rental Pacioretty?

I think that's decent. 

Muzzin is a legit top pair defenceman.and Anderson-Dolan is a good C prospect.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Friedman

Mentioned this last season, but, again, there is a sense Montreal is going to get more involved in Russian free agency. Not sure if these players are particular targets of theirs, but two names to keep an eye on are forward Ilya Mikheyev (Omsk) and defenceman Artem Zub (St. Petersburg).

Zub(from)Rus

So Eklund has posted a rumour of MB trying to pry Joonas Donksoi out of San Jose.  It's so stupid it just might be true....adding a veteran defensive winger with almost no offensive upside to a team with a glut of wingers and an anemic offense fits MB's style alright.

• 3 weeks later...

Bob McKenzie reports Bergevin has let it be known to the other 30 GMs he would like to trade a forward, and trade one soon. 

No players were specifically mentioned, but it looks like a trade is more likely than someone getting waived. 

58 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Bob McKenzie reports Bergevin has let it be known to the other 30 GMs he would like to trade a forward, and trade one soon. 

No players were specifically mentioned, but it looks like a trade is more likely than someone getting waived. 

No shocker there.  With de la Rose taking part in what, three practices now, they can't hide him on IR much longer.  They need to do something probably within the next 2-3 days tops.