Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

22 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That might help but is that something the Habs want to do?  Would they not be better off just waiving him and sending him to the minors rather than retaining at 50% to move him?  It's almost the same cap hit with him buried than it is with 50% retention and at least by burying him, they'd have the ability to bring him back if injuries strike.

1. Sure.

2. No.

If injuries strike I'm sure he'd rather have a look at Kulak, Olafsson (when he's healthy), or even Fleury later in the year.

And if we're insisting on waiving an untradeable defensemen for an injury emergency, then waive Alzner. He offers less to the team than Schlemko, and the cap hit doesn't matter.

6 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I think Julien likes Benn, but he does probably hold the most value of the 3rd pairing guys.

Pierre Lebrun on 'Insider Trading' also has Benn as the guy most teams are interested in. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

They do need to move at least 1 D for sure, 

I would waive Alzner and trade Benn

If Juulsen's going to be out for a while, they probably won't do anything now.  They can keep getting away with carrying 8 d-men since they don't appear to be inclined to keep more than one extra forward on the roster.

Charlie Lindgren is drawing some trade interest around the league.  There are two big questions here.  Knowing that he's earmarked to be the backup likely as soon as next season and is signed pretty cheap for two more years, how much would it take for the Habs to justify dealing Lindgren (and then be forced to pay more for someone to backup Price)?  The second is would a team be willing to pay that high of a price for someone that doesn't have much NHL experience under his belt?

17 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I dont have a lot of faith in lindgren ever being more than a backup...

If tampa wants him or los angeles or some other team... id likely give him up for a third (tampa) or fourth (la)

Don't they need to get at least a goalie coming the other way?  Moving Lindgren pushes McNiven to a #1 role that he's not ready for and makes him the only other goalie under contract in the organization.  That's stretching the depth pretty thin and is a little risky just to add a mid-round pick.  I don't see Lindgren being a starter either but I'd want more than that all things considered.

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Don't they need to get at least a goalie coming the other way?  Moving Lindgren pushes McNiven to a #1 role that he's not ready for and makes him the only other goalie under contract in the organization.  That's stretching the depth pretty thin and is a little risky just to add a mid-round pick.  I don't see Lindgren being a starter either but I'd want more than that all things considered.

Im sure there are veteran ahl goalies on ahl only deals that you can sogn to a two-way nhl/ahl deal and put in laval.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I dont have a lot of faith in lindgren ever being more than a backup...

If tampa wants him or los angeles or some other team... id likely give him up for a third (tampa) or fourth (la)

Van is pretty desperate for 'tending as well, notwithstanding Demko in the pipeline. I doubt you'd get much in return though. (Hutton?)

Im sure there are veteran ahl goalies on ahl only deals that you can sogn to a two-way nhl/ahl deal and put in laval.

There are but that's still not an ideal spot beyond this season.  I have a hard time thinking Niemi takes a similar deal next year as his buyout payments will be done.  (He's basically still a $2+ million goalie this year.)  The free agent market for backup goalies has really gone up the last couple of years to the point where if you want someone half-decent, it's going to cost a lot more than what Lindgren is locked up for.  It's a moot point if they have no intention of getting closer to the cap the next two years but if they do have plans on doing so, I think they're going to want to keep a cheap backup over adding just a mid-round pick.  I'm not saying don't trade him but I'd be asking for more of a premium return than that even if his upside is probably just as a number two goalie.

19 hours ago, dlbalr said:

There are but that's still not an ideal spot beyond this season.  I have a hard time thinking Niemi takes a similar deal next year as his buyout payments will be done.  (He's basically still a $2+ million goalie this year.)  The free agent market for backup goalies has really gone up the last couple of years to the point where if you want someone half-decent, it's going to cost a lot more than what Lindgren is locked up for.  It's a moot point if they have no intention of getting closer to the cap the next two years but if they do have plans on doing so, I think they're going to want to keep a cheap backup over adding just a mid-round pick.  I'm not saying don't trade him but I'd be asking for more of a premium return than that even if his upside is probably just as a number two goalie.

If we could get a decent trade for Lindgren (if, if, if) I think it would make sense. He's not better than Niemi, and I expect we could get Niemi to stay with us for another year somewhere in the $1-2M range. We have the cap room -- and Niemi has little trade value anyway.

On 11/24/2018 at 6:09 PM, dlbalr said:

Given his ahl play... do they trust him as a number 2 next year.

Heck if they trusted him as a number 2 this year they wouldnt have resigned niemi.

He had a hot start in the nhl... but seemed to cool dramatically thereafter and his ahl stats have never been great.

Id trade him if someone else thinks that he has value.

• Upvote 1

Heck if they trusted him as a number 2 this year they wouldnt have resigned niemi.

He had a hot start in the nhl... but seemed to cool dramatically thereafter and his ahl stats have never been great.

I think a trade might be good too but a golie has to come back. If Niemi at 38 can back up still then McNiven (sp?) can be up in 2 yrs and no mess. Stillz  if at 38 Niemi might seem a little old then a trade not so good maybe ?

7 hours ago, ehjay said:

I think a trade might be good too but a golie has to come back. If Niemi at 38 can back up still then McNiven (sp?) can be up in 2 yrs and no mess. Stillz  if at 38 Niemi might seem a little old then a trade not so good maybe ?

Niemi has not been injury-prone through his career, and if he's only playing 20 or so games his age should not really be an issue. If he can play as well at 39 (next year) as he did at 37 (last year) I think this might be a viable option.

11 hours ago, Commandant said:

He has been a bit better in the AHL the last few weeks (despite Laval's losing streak - it's not all on the goalies) so I think they would trust him in the NHL next year.

I think they would have no issues with him in the NHL now and that the re-signing of Niemi was more to allow Lindgren to have one more year of #1 minutes than a vote of non-confidence in him.  It was only in February that they gave him this contract so clearly, they still have some faith in him.

I'm okay with dealing Lindgren too if someone wants to offer up an asset of consequence (but a 3rd/4th round pick isn't what I'd call an asset of consequence).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Niemi has not been injury-prone through his career, and if he's only playing 20 or so games his age should not really be an issue. If he can play as well at 39 (next year) as he did at 37 (last year) I think this might be a viable option.

yeah (lollll) some ppl (me) think he is old. Viable option is cool I get it; yet I would rather have a kid as backup (if he can do it). Might even make CP31 wiggle his head clean if he can smell the bad garlic curry hot sauce breath of 1 of the kids, maybe?  

off topic but not really...

I think Vince Carter is old for pro league. I won't stop him from collecting a pay check from team, why would I? Still, Vince Carter would Kill Ice Cubes 3v3 league and give them a 1st ballot hall of famer for marketing and all that, it would be Awsome :) btw anyone else think it's kinda wierd all the adds on the ice? For a "Multi Billion Dollar league" they sure starting to look like a league in Europe, no?

13 hours ago, ehjay said:

5 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Niemi is currently 35.

• Upvote 1

On 11/18/2018 at 1:27 PM, PMAC said:

They would be far better off demoting Alzner, but unless Bergevin can work some trade magic again, I think it more likely that Mete goes to Laval and Alzner remains in the press box most nights 

On 11/18/2018 at 2:04 PM, Trizzak said:

And if we're insisting on waiving an untradeable defensemen for an injury emergency, then waive Alzner. He offers less to the team than Schlemko, and the cap hit doesn't matter.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

So he is. Serves me right for not checking.

And Price's contract ends when he is 40, five years older than Niemi is now.

I have to up vote it all, I still havent checked ;)