Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

If Duchene signs, Domi goes to wing, and Danault remains as the shutdown line guy. 

Lehkonen likely moves as part of a deal for a defenceman.

Domi - Duchene - Shaw

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher

Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia

Byron - Thompson - Weal

I don't think Phoeling should be moved to the wing as he is our future #3 (maybe #2) centre and I don't want to mess with his development there. I do agree that if Duschene does sign then Domi needs to be moved to the wing.

The tough decision is Danault IMO. He is an important player but I don't think he has a very high trade value - maybe I'm wrong there.

Tough choices ahead for MB but even if Pheoling has an incredible camp I bet that he starts in the minors

13 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The tough decision is Danault IMO. He is an important player but I don't think he has a very high trade value - maybe I'm wrong there.

Its not a tough decision IMO.  He needs to stay given his importance in playing against other teams best lines, and how good the Tatar - Danault - Gallagher line was 5v5 with very tough matchups last year.  That line is so important to the success of the team.

13 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

That means that Phoeling is not making the team regardless of camp or do you see him on the wing?

Thats fine.

He can play 20 minutes a night in the AHL.  I'd rather him do that then to play 8 in the NHL.  He can come up for a few games when injuries hit, as can Suzuki. 

They are 20 years old. 

If their camps are unreal, start them on the team.  If it continues in the regular season, trade shaw or byron or move out thompson or whatever.... but thats only if they force you to do it. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Its not a tough decision IMO.  He needs to stay given his importance in playing against other teams best lines, and how good the Tatar - Danault - Gallagher line was 5v5 with very tough matchups last year.  That line is so important to the success of the team.

This is absolutely true and the line combos you posted above look like a team that has some strong depth to roll 4 lines and pound teams with speed all game long. If we can add that Dman then we are indeed looking pretty strong.

Do we even want to land a big fish?  I'd rather strike out in free agency than add a bad contract that screws up our salary structure.   Anders Lee is a 50-60 point player who turns 29 in a couple days, do we want him to become our highest paid forward?  Gardiner fills a need, but at 7M+ is highly questionable.  Duchene would also command significantly above his value.  

18 minutes ago, Neech said:

Do we even want to land a big fish?  I'd rather strike out in free agency than add a bad contract that screws up our salary structure.   Anders Lee is a 50-60 point player who turns 29 in a couple days, do we want him to become our highest paid forward?  Gardiner fills a need, but at 7M+ is highly questionable.  Duchene would also command significantly above his value.  

My thoughts exactly. There was a time when I was excited about getting Duchesne but realize now that paying 9m/year for him will definitely cause problems with the cap down the road. I like the kids coming up. I know some will argue that Price/Weber have a window of opportunity that is closing but I still think they have a few good years left, many goalies have played at a high level late into their thirties. 

Duchene and Lee are great and all that ... but I would really rather improve our D than use our limited cap space for a UFA forward at something like 7x$7M (I don't expect we'd really get Lee, either, for less than that). But maybe that's just me.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Duchene and Lee are great and all that ... but I would really rather improve our D than use our limited cap space for a UFA forward at something like 7x$7M (I don't expect we'd really get Lee, either, for less than that). But maybe that's just me.

I asked this in the Shaw thread, but isn't Lee a LW? Is Drouin or Tatar gonna be bumped down the lineup to make room? Seems a bit odd to me; but then again Hudon is as good as gone and Lehkonen has kinda stalled, so maybe it does make sense in terms of rolling three lines. Not a size obssessive, but I can really see Lee's huge frame doing us a power of good in the top six. Dollars to donuts he is the guy MB will be signing.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I asked this in the Shaw thread, but isn't Lee a LW? Is Drouin or Tatar gonna be bumped down the lineup to make room? Seems a bit odd to me; but then again Hudon is as good as gone and Lehkonen has kinda stalled, so maybe it does make sense in terms of rolling three lines. Not a size obssessive, but I can really see Lee's huge frame doing us a power of good in the top six. Dollars to donuts he is the guy MB will be signing.

A good LW to play with KK isn't a bad thing... whether that be Lee, Drouin or Tatar. 

12 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm hearing two things

1) Habs are making space for Gardiner and Lee

2) Habs are making space to offer sheet Sebastian Aho. 

So the first one, because offer sheets don't actually exist anymore. 

8mil for Duchene thank god we didn't pay that for him. Lee I had mentioned his name a few days ago so looks like I beat EK to the punch on that one if we do sign him ?

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

8 mill for duchene is fine. 

I thought it would be 10 which i wouldn't have liked. 

Consider Hayes got over 7 

Agree. I’m surprised the number is that low.

8 Mill is a good deal for the Preds, we all kinda saw that coming once Subban was traded.

I think our current group of centres will be just fine and Lee and Gardiner fill more holes on the roster than just Duchene.