Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

Expected goals.

Who determines what an "expected goal" is?

If it's a mildly fat guy sitting on a sofa watching his favourite team and saying, "He should have scored there" on every innocuous play, I would like to apply for the position. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

If it's a mildly fat guy sitting on a sofa watching his favourite team and saying, "He should have scored there" on every innocuous play, I would like to apply for the position. 

If it's Lekhonen by himself shooting the puck point blank, our mildly fat fan might think he should have scored, but he'd never expect him to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

What's xg standing for ?

Expected goals

It looks at the quality of scoring chance and how often the average goalie would save it.

So a shot from yhe point with no traffic is a 0.001 xg

And a backdoor onetimer might be a 0.3 xg 

And then you add them up.

You have xg for while you are on the ice 

Xg against 

And xg%

So you calculate the shooting percentage historically on that type pf chance from that angle and distance and say this shot goes in 2% of the time... this shot goes in 15%... another goes in 20% etc...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Who determines what an "expected goal" is?

Its calculated by distance to the net the shot is taken from... the number of players between you and the goalie... and if its a one-timer, a breakaway, or just a regular shot where the goalie has a chance to set up for the save.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Chris said:

Dodged that bullet

Baertschi has been an OK NHLer, but he's got term left on his deal and it's not clear at all that he has more in the tank. I too am relieved we decided to take a flyer on Kovalchuk (can't bring myself to call him "Kovy" - there is only one of those in Habs lore), who is both potentially more fun and also no-risk. Good decision by MB.

Not really a rumour but speculation and analysis:

Eric Engels on the Steve Dangle Podcast talked about who the Habs could trade at the deadline and listed Tatar and Petry.

He doesn't think Price will go anywhere this season.

Kovalchuk is playing motivated hockey, but is likely to be moved at the deadline. Engels says the signing was a move that Bergevin had to make, and his players appreciated it. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Players didn't seem to show any appreciation.

Close games, good efforts, and the appreciation could be more of an off-ice translation than on-ice... players are more willing to buy in (or stay in) to the organization if they know management has their back. I certainly want Danault, Gallagher, Domi, etc. considering that when they are thinking about their next contracts.

25 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Not really a rumour but speculation and analysis:

Eric Engels on the Steve Dangle Podcast talked about who the Habs could trade at the deadline and listed Tatar and Petry.

He doesn't think Price will go anywhere this season.

Kovalchuk is playing motivated hockey, but is likely to be moved at the deadline. Engels says the signing was a move that Bergevin had to make, and his players appreciated it. 

Price gets traded only if he is done and wants out of Montreal to go win a cup some where else. Bergevin wouldn't have the balls to ask Price for a list of teams he wants to be traded to.

9 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Close games, good efforts, and the appreciation could be more of an off-ice translation than on-ice... players are more willing to buy in (or stay in) to the organization if they know management has their back. I certainly want Danault, Gallagher, Domi, etc. considering that when they are thinking about their next contracts.

was just 1/2 joking

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:03 AM, Commandant said:

Its calculated by distance to the net the shot is taken from... the number of players between you and the goalie... and if its a one-timer, a breakaway, or just a regular shot where the goalie has a chance to set up for the save.

Any good links for  Advanced stats  explanations ?  (xg, Corsi, Fenwick, etc ?)

20 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

Any good links for  Advanced stats  explanations ?  (xg, Corsi, Fenwick, etc ?)

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/glossary.php?players

In the Advanced Stats section, click on Glossary:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/MTL/

I think I’m the only one who wants Kovalchuk to spend a little more time with us. Admittedly, I’m still not over losing Radulov, and to a lesser extent Vanek, after such short stints with our team. 

If Kovalchuk somehow brought us a player and a draft pick, or a 2nd rounder+ then by all means, manage your asset. If the most we could get was something along the lines of a 3rd rounder, I’m not all too excited about seeing him go at the deadline. 

• Upvote 1

With that Colorado and Price rumor, don't know if it's picking up steam or legit, it is now in the news here saying the AVS coach is not sold on current goalies and it needs to get better to make a run 

On 1/9/2020 at 11:38 AM, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I think I’m the only one who wants Kovalchuk to spend a little more time with us. Admittedly, I’m still not over losing Radulov, and to a lesser extent Vanek, after such short stints with our team. 

If Kovalchuk somehow brought us a player and a draft pick, or a 2nd rounder+ then by all means, manage your asset. If the most we could get was something along the lines of a 3rd rounder, I’m not all too excited about seeing him go at the deadline. 

What makes you think that others team's would give up anything for him? Just by him playing 2 games? This guy was cut by LA no one wanted him not even Montreal until they lost Gallagher and Armia to injury. A 2nd pic and a prospect come on now. Maybe at best a 5th round pick and that's at best.

8 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

What makes you think that others team's would give up anything for him? Just by him playing 2 games? This guy was cut by LA no one wanted him not even Montreal until they lost Gallagher and Armia to injury. A 2nd pic and a prospect come on now. Maybe at best a 5th round pick and that's at best.

He was cut by LA because at his salary and cap hit demanded first line production. Kovalchuk on an expiring contract and virtually no cost will be attractive to some contenders if he keeps playing well.

8 minutes ago, PMAC said:

He was cut by LA because at his salary and cap hit demanded first line production. Kovalchuk on an expiring contract and virtually no cost will be attractive to some contenders if he keeps playing well.

He was cut by LA because he was putting the production for someone getting Paid 5mil.  No other team wanted him after that. If it wasn't for Montreal he would still not be playing and you think he'll get you a 2nd round pick and a prospect. Wow 

29 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Okay, so don’t trade him. Nor did I ever say that’s what he would fetch. I said I don’t want to move him for anything less. 

1 hour ago, Chris said:

With that Colorado and Price rumor, don't know if it's picking up steam or legit, it is now in the news here saying the AVS coach is not sold on current goalies and it needs to get better to make a run 

Yep: 

Kiszla: As goalie Philipp Grubauer loses grip on starting job, should Avs explore trade for Carey Price?

The biggest hole in the team’s Stanley Cup dream is between the pipes

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/01/09/kiszla-philipp-grubauer-avalanche-starting-job/