Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

4 hours ago, Chris said:

There you go, 

Glad i have some Colorado back up, 

thanks Huzer 

This would be a deal that actually makes sense, I thought the Roy deal was awful with who they got back 

That's still not making the 'rumour' (which I'd still call speculation at best) any more legit - it's a columnist saying they should think about trading for a goaltender.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Chris said:

Everything is a rumor until something happens, 

Its a rumor thread 

But what you described as the original source wasn't really a rumour - a Colorado radio host saying "Word is something" doesn't really make it a rumour when there isn't any other context.  He's not even citing an unnamed source; it's him speculating on Price maybe wanting to go and maybe Colorado would be interested.  Having a clickbait site write something about it doesn't lend it credibility.  And the Denver Post piece (an actual credible source) is geared towards Colorado needing to acquire a goalie basically said that a) teams still think Price is good and b) that contract is really ugly right now.  Nothing about the two even making sense as a trade partner.  Putting those three pieces together - it's still not a rumour.  It's idle speculation/wishful thinking (and a radio guy trying to garner some attention by dropping a big name which is extremely common in many markets at this time of year). 

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

But what you described as the original source wasn't really a rumour - a Colorado radio host saying "Word is something" doesn't really make it a rumour when there isn't any other context.  He's not even citing an unnamed source; it's him speculating on Price maybe wanting to go and maybe Colorado would be interested.  Having a clickbait site write something about it doesn't lend it credibility.  And the Denver Post piece (an actual credible source) is geared towards Colorado needing to acquire a goalie basically said that a) teams still think Price is good and b) that contract is really ugly right now.  Nothing about the two even making sense as a trade partner.  Putting those three pieces together - it's still not a rumour.  It's idle speculation/wishful thinking (and a radio guy trying to garner some attention by dropping a big name which is extremely common in many markets at this time of year). 

But what if Eklund gives it an E4?!?

9 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

But what if Eklund gives it an E4?!?

Well, i mean, come on...then its a lock and so shall it be written, so shall it be done.:ph34r:

6 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

He was cut by LA because he was putting the production for someone getting Paid 5mil.  No other team wanted him after that. If it wasn't for Montreal he would still not be playing and you think he'll get you a 2nd round pick and a prospect. Wow 

I never said anything about a 2nd and a prospect. I only said that some contenders would be interested in Kovalchuk if he keeps playing well. I would be happy if he brought back a 3rd round pick and ecstatic if the return was greater than that 

9 minutes ago, PMAC said:

I never said anything about a 2nd and a prospect. I only said that some contenders would be interested in Kovalchuk if he keeps playing well. I would be happy if he brought back a 3rd round pick and ecstatic if the return was greater than that 

I could see a conditional pick based on games played and playoff rounds won. Like a 3rd round pick that becomes a 2nd if they win 2 rounds and Kovalchuk plays in at least 50% of the games. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/9/2020 at 12:15 PM, Chris said:

All those fancy stats don't really mean much

Habs are 3rd in Corsi and garbage for what counts, eins and losses 

Advanced stats don’t score any points. However, they can help explain why a team is winning or losing.

On 1/14/2020 at 4:05 PM, Trizzak said:

Pierre Lebrun on Insider Trading said he has no intention of trading Price or Weber, saying that both of them are part of a leadership core important to developing young guys in the NHL.

🙄 Mr. "Character and Leadership" strikes again

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 4:05 PM, Trizzak said:

Pierre Lebrun on Insider Trading said he has no intention of trading Price or Weber, saying that both of them are part of a leadership core important to developing young guys in the NHL.

And many agree with this approach. All the quotes from the kids about those two both on the ice and in locker room back it up as well.

39 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

🙄 Mr. "Character and Leadership" strikes again

8 minutes ago, DON said:

And many agree with this approach. All the quotes from the kids about those two both on the ice and in locker room back it up as well.

A few things:

1. As Pierre McGuire noted, " intention" is a very slippery word.

2. There is the question of value. There are a ton of good goalies available right now  and even more for next season as UFA or RFA. Does anyone really think an outstanding return for Price is probable?

3. Is it in the Canadien's best interest to deal Price for pennies on the dollar while retaining salary?

4. There is no guarantee that blowing things up is a successful strategy. For every success like Pittsburgh, there are two of Edmonton and Buffalo's decades of futility.

5. If Joe Sakic really did lose his mind and offer Byram and Grubacker for Price, even with us retaining salary, and Bergevin didn't  make the deal-- he should be fired immediately. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, PMAC said:

A few things:

1. As Pierre McGuire noted, " intention" is a very slippery word.

2. There is the question of value. There are a ton of good goalies available right now  and even more for next season as UFA or RFA. Does anyone really think an outstanding return for Price is probable?

3. Is it in the Canadien's best interest to deal Price for pennies on the dollar while retaining salary?

4. There is no guarantee that blowing things up is a successful strategy. For every success like Pittsburgh, there are two of Edmonton and Buffalo's decades of futility.

5. If Joe Sakic really did lose his mind and offer Byram and Grubacker for Price, even with us retaining salary, and Bergevin didn't  make the deal-- he should be fired immediately. 

You are right, of course. I wouldn't trade both, only one - preferably Price. But as you note, it'd only be worth doing if the return is strong, and Price has to want it. What I don't like is the idea that management has no interest in trading either, when it should be open to exploring the idea at least, not ruling it out on the grounds of "leadership." However, our response to this depends on how we read the word "intention." As Bill Clinton once said, it depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

My thoughts on Price have changed. At this point, I’m not opposed to a trade just a trade that doesn’t bring back a strong return. Interestingly on TSN 690 yesterday Pierre McQuire said it would be easier to trade Price than Weber while Gord Miller said the opposite. Given Weber’s strong season and decreasing salary relative to his cap hit, I don’t think that it would be difficult to move Weber. However, given MTL’s history of difficulties attracting top tier free agents, I think a full fledged tear down would be ill advised 

4 hours ago, PMAC said:

A few things:

1. As Pierre McGuire noted, " intention" is a very slippery word. Blah

2. There is the question of value. There are a ton of good goalies available right now  and even more for next season as UFA or RFA. Does anyone really think an outstanding return for Price is probable? No

3. Is it in the Canadien's best interest to deal Price for pennies on the dollar while retaining salary? No

21 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

You are right, of course. I wouldn't trade both, only one - preferably Price. But as you note, it'd only be worth doing if the return is strong, and Price has to want it. What I don't like is the idea that management has no interest in trading either, when it should be open to exploring the idea at least, not ruling it out on the grounds of "leadership." However, our response to this depends on how we read the word "intention." As Bill Clinton once said, it depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

I think the way Bergevin works is that he wouldn't publicly say he is open to trading them. He is publicly doing what he should, saying that he is not open to trading them. So if someone did call kicking the tires, they probably know that a lowball offer isn't even going to be considered. I think he would listen, privately, and still be able to take a great deal if one came along, and the whole time still saying he's not trading them. Probably standard approach for players of Price and Weber's standing. 

Whatever happens to Price is totally driven by Price. He has the no movement clause so he decides what is going to happen.

MB saying he isn't trading someone is nothing but PR speak - ask Subban

I also believe that Price is tradable for a good return. I expect the return to be a first plus a strong prospect but we would also have to take back a good amount of salary and that likely means an Alzner type coming our way.

I suppose it is possible that Price agrees to let Seattle take him in the way that MAF did.

I love Price but i believe trading him is a smart move for our future.

29 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Whatever happens to Price is totally driven by Price. He has the no movement clause so he decides what is going to happen.

MB saying he isn't trading someone is nothing but PR speak - ask Subban

I also believe that Price is tradable for a good return. I expect the return to be a first plus a strong prospect but we would also have to take back a good amount of salary and that likely means an Alzner type coming our way.

I suppose it is possible that Price agrees to let Seattle take him in the way that MAF did.

I love Price but i believe trading him is a smart move for our future.

Being from the west coast, and I think his wife is from Washington (the state), that would be a great outcome for the CH. if we got their 1srt and second in two back to back years (2021 and 2022). 

7 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Being from the west coast, and I think his wife is from Washington (the state), that would be a great outcome for the CH. if we got their 1srt and second in two back to back years (2021 and 2022). 

The scenario you bolded is that they'd lose him for free in the Expansion Draft; Seattle isn't paying firsts and seconds in back-to-back years if they're taking his contract off Montreal's books.

1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

The scenario you bolded is that they'd lose him for free in the Expansion Draft; Seattle isn't paying firsts and seconds in back-to-back years if they're taking his contract off Montreal's books.

You are right. Duh! :bonk: