Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

26 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Chris Johnston on Saturday Headlines believes that Kovalchuk will be traded at the deadline for a draft pick, and it's really only a question of what round that draft pick will be. 

Meh, 

by the deadline we'll be close enough to a playoff spot to make him worth keeping.

The Leafs are falling apart.

31 Thoughts podcast: Elliotte Friedman says that IF Petry becomes available, look for Vegas to be very interested in him. 

Edit: The two teams have a trading history, so the GMs are definitely comfortable hashing out a deal. 

53 minutes ago, Chris said:

There would be a lot of suitors for Petry

Agree, I think there would also be a lot of suitors for Tatar who has been a very consistent performer. I think Tatar would be worth at least a 1st round pick otherwise there is no point in trading him. Trading Petry or Tatar or both would certainly free up some cap room. Not sure who the prize fee agents are this summer. 

28 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree, I think there would also be a lot of suitors for Tatar who has been a very consistent performer. I think Tatar would be worth at least a 1st round pick otherwise there is no point in trading him. Trading Petry or Tatar or both would certainly free up some cap room. Not sure who the prize fee agents are this summer. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents

Hall, Pietrangelo, and Holtby are the biggest names in their respective positions. 

But it doesn't matter... prized free agents don't sign in Montreal.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

For Petry here is what I'd ask for. 

Peyton Krebs + 2nd Rounder

or

1st round pick + Kaeden Korczak + Lucas Elvenes

But, then the Habs will need both a top four LH and a top four RH d-man to find next year.

Habs have more forwards that can part with, than top four d-men

(losing a Tatar, Lehkonen, Armia wouldnt hurt as much as losing Petry)

31 minutes ago, DON said:

But, then the Habs will need both a top four LH and a top four RH d-man to find next year.

I agree... but those packages would be too good to turn down.

Im not selling petry cheap.  The offer has to be big or you keep him.

38 minutes ago, DON said:

Trading a 24 yo forward signed at $2.4M instead of a 32 yo defenceman signed at $5.5M when you are rebuilding around youth ... if we buy into the statement that our top players are too old and will decline before we are ready to contend, then we should be considering trading Petry and Tatar, not Lehkonen and Armia.

59 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Trading a 24 yo forward signed at $2.4M instead of a 32 yo defenceman signed at $5.5M when you are rebuilding around youth ... if we buy into the statement that our top players are too old and will decline before we are ready to contend, then we should be considering trading Petry and Tatar, not Lehkonen and Armia.

Petry is a bargain at $5.5 and the guy can skate very well. Resign him next year. So another 4-5 years not a big worry his play falls off a cliff is there? Most cup winners have several vets.

Pierre Lebrun posted an article on the athletic summarizing what he thinks each team is thinking trade-wise coming out of the all-star break.

https://theathletic.com/1556599/2020/01/24/lebrun-where-all-31-teams-stand-one-month-before-the-trade-deadline?source=shared-article

The Habs mentions: 

Thompson is likely to be moved, Philly might be a good fit. 

Boston had interest in Kovalchuk, but trading assets to a division rival when they could have signed him for free is not a good look.

Pittsburgh and Edmonton might like Tatar, but Pierre isn't sure Montreal would move him.

He doesn't think Bergevin has an appetite for moving Petry this year, but notes Vegas might come calling.

Scandella isn't listed anywhere in particular, which suggests to me that he would fall fairly far down the list of other teams' priorities on deadline day.

Plenty more good stuff in there to extrapolate who could use what from Montreal. I recommend subscribing if you haven't. 

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

For Petry here is what I'd ask for. 

Peyton Krebs + 2nd Rounder

or

1st round pick + Kaeden Korczak + Lucas Elvenes

How about 1st round 2020, Nick Holden(Contract) and Nicolas Hague ? 

31 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I doubt vegas is willing to move hague or glass.  I stayed away from those two as i dont see them moving.

Ok. It would be worth it for MTL if we could get that type of return for Petry.

When I write that I am willing to move him, this is the type of return I am expecting back

Forgot to type this out earlier, but during one of the intermission segments Lebrun noted that the Caps are doing their homework on Nate Thompson and Trevor Lewis to see who would fit best as a depth acquisition for their playoff run. 

Their GM has trade deadline history with both teams; getting Hagelin from LA last season, and key acquisition to their cup winning team (🙄🙄🙄) Jakub Jerabek from Montreal the year prior. 

10 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Forgot to type this out earlier, but during one of the intermission segments Lebrun noted that the Caps are doing their homework on Nate Thompson and Trevor Lewis to see who would fit best as a depth acquisition for their playoff run. 

Their GM has trade deadline history with both teams; getting Hagelin from LA last season, and key acquisition to their cup winning team (🙄🙄🙄) Jakub Jerabek from Montreal the year prior. 

That would be great if their primary criteria was "missing open nets".

Paraphrased from Friedman's 31 Thoughts blog: the Canadiens message is they aren't interested in trading for rentals, and they likely won't do a ton of trading by the deadline. They want to be in the playoff race next year, so trading guys like Tatar and Petry is unlikely without a stupid good trade offer. 

9 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Paraphrased from Friedman's 31 Thoughts blog: the Canadiens message is they aren't interested in trading for rentals, and they likely won't do a ton of trading by the deadline. They want to be in the playoff race next year, so trading guys like Tatar and Petry is unlikely without a stupid good trade offer. 

Thats a fine message.  We'll trade those guys, but the offer better be fantastic. 

We have time on our side in moving those contracts, so there is no reason to sell them for discounts.  They are amongst our best players and could be real difference makers to a contender, so if you want them, pay up. 

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Thats a fine message.  We'll trade those guys, but the offer better be fantastic. 

We have time on our side in moving those contracts, so there is no reason to sell them for discounts.  They are amongst our best players and could be real difference makers to a contender, so if you want them, pay up. 

Yes indeed - but notice the subtext. If we want to make the playoffs next year, then, as I said in another thread, MB is unlikely to trade them mid-season. If they're not dealt before October, they likely won't be dealt at all, which means, of course, MB will be left standing there with his Johnson in his hands when they walk.

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

No one thought they were in market for a rental, did they?

What is a ton of trading? Is that dealing just Thompson & Kovalchuk?

Who in Habs Mgmt wouldn't say making playoffs next year isn't a goal?

https://www.letsgoleafs.com/articles/max-domi-and-jeff-petry-to-the-leafs/amp/

Jean-Charles Lajoie of TVA Sports Suggests habs trade Domi and Petry to the Leafs for Kapanen and throw in Ceci for cap space.  Of course a Leafs news site grabbed right on to it.  

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Domi or Petry is worth Kapanen.  Who would give up both and take terrible Ceci in that deal?

I don’t think we should be moving Domi ... but I bet the Leafs are the team that would overpay for him. 

23 minutes ago, revvvrob said:

I don’t think we should be moving Domi ... but I bet the Leafs are the team that would overpay for him. 

Domi is kind of like Pacioretty, we didn't want to trade him, but he was Bergevin best option to get a high return on. If Domi wants around 7mil a year I think Bergevin going to trade him rather than pay him. But if he's around 5.5mil a year he stays as a habs.

• Upvote 1