Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

12 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Most certainly, size was the only reason he dropped to 15.

I know for a fact that Timmins was amazed he dropped as far as he did and unable to believe his luck when he did. Probably was size, yeah.

I hope that the dozen clubs who passed on him are not right.

Mete was also passed on because of size, and to some degree it is a factor affecting his performance some nights 

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hope that the dozen clubs who passed on him are not right.

Mete was also passed on because of size, and to some degree it is a factor affecting his performance some nights 

Yes, Mete's size allows him to be very agile and can get from one end to other pretty darn quick for a d-man .

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Yes, Mete's size allows him to be very agile and can get from one end to other pretty darn quick for a d-man .

On one of the last two games he was being pushed off the puck, pinned to the boards.

I like the kid, but some nights he needs to be sheltered against bigger faster opposition who target him

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

On one of the last two games he was being pushed off the puck, pinned to the boards.

I like the kid, but some nights he needs to be sheltered against bigger faster opposition who target him

Sounds like most of the soft players on this team not just Mete lol.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Sounds like most of the soft players on this team not just Mete lol.

I do not think the CH has that many soft players. Maybe Domi when he is off his game, I cannot think of any other

Who did you have in mind?

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Mete is a bottom pair d-man on any decent team, probably a 7 on the top teams  

He has great mobility and is decent, 

I disagree, I think that he will be come a 3rd pair LD that can move up when injuries happen.

I think we may loose him on the expansion draft because he is steady.

But he was drafted later because he lacks size

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I do not think the CH has that many soft players. Maybe Domi when he is off his game, I cannot think of any other

Who did you have in mind?

I've never heard Domi called soft.

Undisciplined? Sure.... but soft?  no

Did you mean Drouin when he is off his game?

Just now, Commandant said:

I've never heard Domi called soft.

Undisciplined? Sure.... but soft?  no

Did you mean Drouin when he is off his game?

No, Domi.

Lately he has not been driving the net, he has been skating around the periphery on the attacking zone or trying to dangle through 2+  opponents

He has not been his usual gritty self, has run out of sand paper.

And yes, Drouin has been soft before this season. He was

much better before getting injured 

I'm gonna disagree that Domi has been soft. 

On the wing, he has a harder time getting the opportunities to drive the net, but he's been involved in the forecheck and on the boards.   He also shoots at angles and he's better shooting from the middle of the ice than from the circles (as most players are... there are those nerd stats again). 

Again, I'm not saying he's played at his best, but I don't see the issue as being soft.   Just being in a spot where his offence doesn't flow as well and that effects his confidence. 

He's also more a playmaker than a shooter and in the middle of the ice, he has options for a pass to both his left and right, something that doesn't happen on the wing, so its less options and thus easier to shut down.

Then he gets frustrated and selfishly takes bad penalties. 

None of that is soft though.

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm gonna disagree that Domi has been soft. 

On the wing, he has a harder time getting the opportunities to drive the net, but he's been involved in the forecheck and on the boards. 

Again, I'm not saying he's played at his best, but I don't see the issue as being soft. 

Domi  soft???   ask Aaron Ekblad

You can disagree all you want, 

His numbers speak for themselves

Top 4 Dman produce offensively, Mete does not

Mete is a liability in his own end

This team is incredibly soft and too small, Domi, Weber, Danault, Gallgher and Chairot win there share of battles for sure, but they as a group are soft

Soft just doesn't mean fighting, it's sticking up for eachother, winning puck battles, being hard on the puck, getting and protecting the dirty areas

I don't think of the Habs as being soft either, they have trouble finishing,  have some deficiencies on defense but in my opinion the work ethic and grit has not been a problem.  They have lost a lot of one goal games. Do they have anybody in the top 50 scoring? 

6 minutes ago, Chris said:

You can disagree all you want, 

His numbers speak for themselves

Top 4 Dman produce offensively, Mete does not

Mete is a liability in his own end

This team is incredibly soft and too small, Domi, Weber, Danault, Gallgher and Chairot win there share of battles for sure, but they as a group are soft

Soft just doesn't mean fighting, it's sticking up for eachother, winning puck battles, being hard on the puck, getting and protecting the dirty areas

Mete's numbers don't suggest soft. 

Not producing offensively.... doesn't mean soft. 

The numbers do speak for themselves though.... 52.0% corsi... 51.7% Fenwick.... 54.4% xG... 57.4% Goalsfor.... None of those show a player who is a liability in his own end.

Talent, toughness, size, inconsistent, perimeter players, players playing out of position, slow footed defense, giving up a hand full of odd man rushes every night, 

When they score, they can't play defense, when they give up 2 they can only score 1, 

when the pk is going, the pp is not, 

when the pp is going the pk stinks 

MB, drafting and coaching is not upper tier either 

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think of the Habs as being soft either, they have trouble finishing,  have some deficiencies on defense but in my opinion the work ethic and grit has not been a problem.  They have lost a lot of one goal games. Do they have anybody in the top 50 scoring? 

Exactly... this is a team that battles every night... but simply doesn't have enough talent to compete.... when your top 9 forwards... drouin, gallagher, armia, byron etc, have missed so many games and the team lacks a player like a Malkin/Crosby/MacKinnon etc who can take over games single handedly when others are injured... you get what you get, high compete and not enough talent to win.

Calling a team soft, or saying that they quit are just excuses that some fans use for losing, without wanting to dig deeper on what exactly is going on.  Those same fans are usually the ones who say analytics don't matter and are ignorant of looking at deeper numbers. 

Even the Heat Maps that show the habs give up too many chances in tight to the goalie (and they do)... don't show softness. 

The majority of these in tight chances are actually breakaways, two on ones and other opportunities that aren't about winning battles in front of the net, they are about mistakes leading to odd man rushes.  That's a defensive miscue, sure... but its not soft. 

They aren't overpowering defencemen in front of the net.  They are getting past a defenceman further up the ice and having an odd man rush.