Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

10 hours ago, Commandant said:

Tatar would be good in Colorado, for something like Timmins and a 1st. ... or for Newhook and a 1st. 

We would be crazy to turn down a return like that and I hope MB is all over this. He did amazing with Scandella and I hope that trend continues

22 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

This contradicts what Dreger was saying.  I'm inclined to believe him over Pagnotta but I'll post it anyway.

Yeah. It makes no sense to me to not have that discussion. Having that enables you to make a better decision.

Julien is a good coach. But given the team's lackadaisical play in the third periods, as an example, I do wonder whether his relationship with the players has broken down.

If we were to switch coaches, Gallant would be a very good choice. I don't think Bouchard is quite ready yet for a step up.

1 hour ago, EMELINATOR said:

Hope he’s making a move for Samuel Girard. He’s the left handed d-man we should be pursuing.

I don't see why Colorado would part with him when they're trying to contend.  They also handed him a seven-year extension back in the summer so they're not turning around and trading him now.

If I had to guess who he might be looking at, I'd say Tyson Jost or Vladislav Kamenev.  Both young players that have struggled at times and those are the types of players that can be put in deals at this time of year.

LeBrun in The Athletic (paywall) also has the Habs planning to talk contract with Kovalchuk's camp later in the week and, like Dreger, suggests the asking price is a second plus a lower pick.  He also talks about the optics of parting with multiple assets for someone that was available for free six weeks ago.

https://theathletic.com/1617602/2020/02/18/lebrun-interest-in-trocheck-canucks-still-shopping-and-kovalchuks-market

Marchenko spent time in the NHL previously with Detroit and Toronto and, to be honest, wasn't very good.  Elliotte Friedman reported in his last 31 Thoughts column that he was seeking a deal in the $1.5M range to return to North America this summer.

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Another reason to just sign kovalchuk

The difference between Marchenko and Kovalchuk from Romanov's perspective is that Romanov and Marchenko are teammates on CSKA (and with one being a lefty and one a righty, chances are they've played together).

(Konstantin Okulov, a known Montreal target, is also on that team.)

NHL.com bit on Aves...

Colorado Avalanche

General manager Joe Sakic said he's known for about a month what players the Avalanche would like to add to their roster and is taking a practical, open-minded approach to the deadline.

"We know the guys we think would be a good fit to our team," Sakic said Wednesday. "If it works out, great. There's obviously things we're not willing to move, but if there's a deal that makes sense for us we'd like to do it.

"I'd rather not [trade a first-round pick], but I won't rule anything out. It all depends on what packages are out there. To be honest with you, I prefer a hockey trade rather than going in the rental market. We're going to be open to the rental market as well. What's the cost going to be? I'm not here just looking short term; I'm paid to look after the big picture."

One area the Avalanche would like to upgrade is their goalie depth. Philipp Grubauer is out indefinitely because of a lower-body injury sustained during the third period of the 2020 Navy Federal Credit Union NHL Stadium Series game against the Los Angeles Kings on Saturday. Hunter Miska, who has one game of NHL experience, was recalled from Colorado of the American Hockey League on Sunday to back up Pavel Francouz, who is in his first full NHL season. 

"We're going to pursue, see if we can add a depth goalie for us," Sakic said. "We'll see where that goes. We've had injuries in that department, not only here but with [AHL Colorado], so ultimately we'd like to see if we can add a depth goalie just for protection."

Would Lindgren be good enough depth goalie to interest Sakic?

I would look closely at the NYR and what they do with Lundqvist. If they end up trading him could give us an idea of what we could get for Price if it comes to the point of trading him. I know there's a age difference and contract difference but similar type players and situation.

1 minute ago, Habsfan89 said:

I would look closely at the NYR and what they do with Lundqvist. If they end up trading him could give us an idea of what we could get for Price if it comes to the point of trading him. I know there's a age difference and contract difference but similar type players and situation.

Lundqvist has vetoed a trade before and, at least publicly, is saying he fully intends to stay.  That situation could be heading for a buyout this summer.

Lundqvist is significantly older than price... and only has 1.5 years left.  Hes also got a full no move so he can veto any deal.  For those reasons i find a trade (if it even happens) hard to compare to any future trades.  Its such a unique situation.

14 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Lundqvist is significantly older than price... and only has 1.5 years left.  Hes also got a full no move so he can veto any deal.  For those reasons i find a trade (if it even happens) hard to compare to any future trades.  Its such a unique situation.

Not really because if we hold on to Price for too long like NYR have done with Lundqvist, we could be looking at the same situation 5 years from now. So we could learn from their mistakes, and not repeat them with Price.

17 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Not really because if we hold on to Price for too long like NYR have done with Lundqvist, we could be looking at the same situation 5 years from now. So we could learn from their mistakes, and not repeat them with Price.

I still think its a different situation... every NTC is going to be different just cause the number of teams you can negotiate a trade with is dictated by the player and not the team. 

You also have a situation in New York where Lundqvist has become 3rd string cause the rangers have two excellent young goalies.  Will it be the same in Montreal 5 years from now?

Im not sure it will be the same. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

I still think its a different situation... every NTC is going to be different just cause the number of teams you can negotiate a trade with is dictated by the player and not the team. 

You also have a situation in New York where Lundqvist has become 3rd string cause the rangers have two excellent young goalies.  Will it be the same in Montreal 5 years from now?

Im not sure it will be the same. 

Well look at it like this...... In The next 5 years time do you see Montreal being a cup contender through out that time?  I honestly don't.

So would you want to trade a 33 year old Price and get more for him, or get less for a 37 year old Price?

Yes Price would prefer to stay and win in Montreal, but I think he would want a chance to win a cup more. So if he was asked for a list of teams to be traded to he would understand.