Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I hope you are wrong, it will be very depressing going into next year with basically the same roster 

I think Colorado is asking about tatar, not domi, although i read Kadri may be out with injury

I am also guessing Colorado has asked about Price, Colorado has a great young core except goaltender 

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

We have 12 picks already.  I dont see why we need to flip him for a pick.  We will already be drafting more kids than we will be able to sign.

Picks can be flipped for future picks. Bergevin did it last draft for this draft, he can do it again. Hell, Kovalchuk can be traded for a pick from the 2021 draft outright, and skip the middleman of this draft entirely. 

And prospects can be traded for established players. Even unsigned prospects can be traded for established players. Having too many prospects isn't a problem, it's a gift. And considering how many of the Habs prospects are injured right now (which could have serious impact on their development) I'd argue that we don't have too many at all.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Kovalchuk is 36, but 0.57 PPG isn't entirely washed up.

it is when in 900game career he is at 0.95ppg and now at 0.57ppg with lots of icetime and offensive opportunities and 0pts in last 6 games isn't helping his trade value.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

We have 12 picks already.  I dont see why we need to flip him for a pick.  We will already be drafting more kids than we will be able to sign.

We can have picks from later years - pollack was a genius in stockpiling future picks.

Anyone think Sakic is trying to acquire Drouin to play with Nate?

I have a weird feeling.

I would love a 1st and Ryan Suzuki for Petry. Two Suzukis 😛

37 minutes ago, EMELINATOR said:

Anyone think Sakic is trying to acquire Drouin to play with Nate?

I have a weird feeling.

I would love a 1st and Ryan Suzuki for Petry. Two Suzukis 😛

this might be my favourite proposal yet.. adding Suzuki would be amazing.

Bean plus 1st is close.  Bean is real impressive in the AHL.  I think hes real close to NHL ready. That said they would need to add one more piece.

Bean is a must though cause he can step in and play in the NHL now, which will set him up to help.the team next year.

Ryan Suzuki has really struggled and im not interested in him just cause hes Nicks brother.  Id think they wouldnt want to add last years first rounder either.  That said id ask for jamieson rees.

1st plus Bean plus Rees for Petry  Id do that.

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

Pierre Lebrun believes the Canes would be willing to trade Jake Bean and a first for Jeff Petry.

I liked Bean in junior; 38pts in 49AHL games this year and 20 something pick? Hmmmmmmm........close but no thanks. Petry is a legit top 4 d-man who can be trusted to play big minutes, even though his defense is fairly weak. 21st 1st round pick doesnt excite me too much

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I haven't seen much from him on the rumour front before but he is around the team a lot as one of their beat guys for an independent site over the last couple of years so I wouldn't necessarily dismiss it outright.

More on Kovalchuk:

If that's the price tag, I'd pass.

I wouldn't have a problem with that deal.  I also wouldn't have a problem with trading him if the Habs were getting something good back.

31 minutes ago, DON said:

I liked Bean in junior; 38pts in 49AHL games this year and 20 something pick? Hmmmmmmm........close but no thanks. Petry is a legit top 4 d-man who can be trusted to play big minutes, even though his defense is fairly weak. 21st 1st round pick doesnt excite me too much

38 points in 49 AHL games is excellent. 

47 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Bean plus 1st is close.  Bean is real impressive in the AHL.  I think hes real close to NHL ready. That said they would need to add one more piece.

Bean is a must though cause he can step in and play in the NHL now, which will set him up to help.the team next year.

Ryan Suzuki has really struggled and im not interested in him just cause hes Nicks brother.  Id think they wouldnt want to add last years first rounder either.  That said id ask for jamieson rees.

1st plus Bean plus Rees for Petry  Id do that.

That would be a nice return for Petry.  I'd do that in a heartbeat too.  I doubt Carolina would though.  Probably a better chance of having them add a conditional pick based on how far they make it in the playoffs.  They do have two second rounders and two third rounders in this year's draft.  Other prospects that would interest me as an add to Bean and a 1st would be Jack Drury C, Domenick Fensore D, Anttoni Honka D, Patrik Puistola LW, Janne Kuokkonen C, Stelio Mattheos C, and Morgan Geekie C.

29 minutes ago, Chris said:

Petry leads the league in turnovers, 

team needs to move on from the vets, 

Turnovers is a bullshit stat.  they are not the same in rink to rink. 

MOntreal has 2.5 - 3x as many turnovers at home vs on the road. 

Montreal's opponents have 2.5-3x as many turnovers in the Bell Centre as they have in all other rinks combined (per game basis).

The NHL doesn't standardize this rink to rink. ... the score keeper in Montreal is marking a dump-in to the corner, or clearing the puck from the dzone to centre ice as a turnover, and in other rinks they arent.  As a result Montreal's 6 regular D are always in the top 15 league wise, and often 5 of them are in the top 10. 

Subban used to be the worst in the league, then he went to Nashville and suddenly his turnovers were way down.  Weber was great in Nashville, now in Montreal his turnovers are way up.  

You can't rely on that stat for anything 

Look at the advanced stats cause at least they show consistency rink to rink, and despite some miscues, Petry is still an outstanding defenceman by these metrics. 

That said he's 32 and a UFA in one year, so if someone gives me a top D prospect who is NHL ready, a 1st rounder and another prospect, I think I'd have to do it.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

38 points in 49 AHL games is excellent. 

I know and I have proposed trading for Bean or trying to add him somehow, a while ago. But, he couldn't step into a top 4 role without being a big risk. But change proposal a bit, keep Petry but deal a winger (say one of Armia or Lehkonen. Tatar/Kovalchuk should be dealt to a contender, if being sent packing)

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

Of course.

My argument isnt that more is a bad thing.  Its that the need is reduced... and the 50 contract limit and 75 man reserve list limit are the considerations.  Injured or not.

Capfriendly has the reserve list limit at 90. Am I misreading the site?

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

3.5 base with bonuses.... id sign that in a second.

3.5 is the cost of a third liner.  1 year deal is no risk... and he only costs more if hes more productive.

Add in that his presence makes Romanov more comfortable off ice and its even better.  And no, i dont think you need the guys defence partner to break in a kid.  Look at gallagher, he started off with gorges.  It's not needed to be his partner, its someone who is going to translate the coach and also be there off ice when the kid needs to cook, order food, etc...

I don't think they need Marchenko either (I don't want him).

The Kovalchuk we've seen the last two weeks is the one I think is the actual Kovalchuk.  He's a half step slow and his defensive attention to detail isn't what it was a month ago.  For me, that puts him down to a 30-35 point player for next year and while teams will pay that price early in free agency, you can usually also get those guys for a lot less in August.  I'm not opposed to the bonus-laden contract for him but $3.5 million should be closer to the ceiling of the deal than the floor.

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The Kovalchuk we've seen the last two weeks is the one I think is the actual Kovalchuk.  He's a half step slow and his defensive attention to detail isn't what it was a month ago.  For me, that puts him down to a 30-35 point player for next year and while teams will pay that price early in free agency, you can usually also get those guys for a lot less in August.  I'm not opposed to the bonus-laden contract for him but $3.5 million should be closer to the ceiling of the deal than the floor.

In that view, just #SignTheMan like Jack Todd has been saying :hockey: