Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Krug rumours a-flying, naturally. Why he'd want to come to a losing team eludes me, and there is always a Habs-centric frenzy around any UFA who fits an obvious tea, need, but I guess it's a nice thought, anyway.

12 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Krug rumours a-flying, naturally. Why he'd want to come to a losing team eludes me, and there is always a Habs-centric frenzy around any UFA who fits an obvious tea, need, but I guess it's a nice thought, anyway.

There isn't much else to talk about right now but with the extra cap pressures, the Habs project to be one of the teams that could afford to go big on a free agent this offseason (whenever the offseason hits) so they're going to be linked to a lot of the big names for that reason alone.

3 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

There isn't much else to talk about right now but with the extra cap pressures, the Habs project to be one of the teams that could afford to go big on a free agent this offseason (whenever the offseason hits) so they're going to be linked to a lot of the big names for that reason alone.

Yeah...and this just might finally be the year when we nail one of those guys. It depends on how many quality teams have cap space, and whether they are interested in the same UFA as us - since UFAs will generally prefer to go to good teams rather than mediocre ones, that puts us at a competitive disadvantage; but the math, at least, seems to favour us on this round.

12 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

With any UFA it all depends on the price. No question Krug is an excellent player. Is he worth 7 million or more in cap space?  Not sure what his worth is on the open market but he is coming off an excellent season and he is in the prime of his career right now.  He will cash in, can't imagine the Habs being the highest bidder.  

14 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

With any UFA it all depends on the price. No question Krug is an excellent player. Is he worth 7 million or more in cap space?  Not sure what his worth is on the open market but he is coming off an excellent season and he is in the prime of his career right now.  He will cash in, can't imagine the Habs being the highest bidder.  

The highest bidder could vary though.  Are there free agents looking at the market and thinking this is the time to sign a long-term deal or will there be ones willing to sign a one-year 'pillow' contract at a higher rate with an eye on re-entering the market the following summer when things are (hopefully) closer to normal?  Pillow deals are usually for ones looking to restore some value but with what will likely be a depressed free agent market (unless they negotiate a cap increase anyway and/or compliance buyouts), we could see some of the better free agents looking to cash in at least consider this route too.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a rumour floating around about Charles Hudon heading to the KHL next year.  Here's the original source of the rumour:

It could happen but this doesn't seem like the most reputable of reports.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Hudon is a fringe NHLer...an ideal KHL candidate, I'd think.

Suppose he is another like Nigel Dawes or Corey Locke.

But, i think it was just a year or 2 ago he came into training camp in better shape (but still not faster i guess), so for years i assume he just wasnt that committed or driven to make it?

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Hudon is a fringe NHLer...an ideal KHL candidate, I'd think.

Yeah, it seems like he has had his opportunities with the Habs and just couldn't do enough to stay. Not enough skill for the top 2 lines and not enough grit/defensive ability to play on the 3rd or 4th lines. An in betweener. 

Mikko Lehtonen, a left-shot defender who led the KHL in points by a blueliner this season, terminated his deal early to sign with an NHL team.  Apparently the Habs are among the teams interested in his services.  https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/free-agent-mikko-lehtonen-canadiens-khl-anthony-cirelli-marchand-cooper-quick-shifts/

Whoever gets him will be capped to signing him to a one-year ELC.

Is Bergevin reading this forum? 🤣

On 3/1/2020 at 11:36 AM, tomh009 said:

I was looking at KHL defencemen and the top scorer is Mikko Lehtonen at 17g+32a in 60 games, better than 0.8 PPG, and averaging almost 22:30 per game. He was never drafted but is under contract until the end of the 2020-2021 season. He'll be 27 at that point, not so old for a defenceman.

One-year ELC -- and then an RFA, I hope? With arbitration rights?

11 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Wait, he'll be 27.... UFA.

So, basically, he'll be an inexpensive signing for one year, and you need to hope you have made a good enough impression in that first year for him to be interested in staying.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

So, basically, he'll be an inexpensive signing for one year, and you need to hope you have made a good enough impression in that first year for him to be interested in staying.

Yeah, 

Of course you get first crack at re-signing him as you can start negotiating January 1st, 2021 (under the current CBA)... whether that date changes if the dates of the season change to like November to July or something due to finishing this current season first, who knows?

From Kevin Kurz of The Athletic:

There’s reason to believe that Vlasic would be willing to facilitate a trade back to Montreal, or perhaps even nearby Toronto, the latter of which could be in the market for a left-shot defenseman. As we’ve reported, the Canadiens were looking closely at Vlasic at the beginning of the 2019-20 season, and a deal might have been consummated had the defenseman been playing better at the time.

Worth noting, this was in the context of a thought on moving out one of Burns or Vlasic this offseason with Kurz surmising that Burns is the likelier to be dealt.

https://theathletic.com/1799397/2020/05/07/a-9-step-plan-for-making-the-sharks-a-playoff-team-again-next-season/

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

From Kevin Kurz of The Athletic:

Worth noting, this was in the context of a thought on moving out one of Burns or Vlasic this offseason with Kurz surmising that Burns is the likelier to be dealt.

https://theathletic.com/1799397/2020/05/07/a-9-step-plan-for-making-the-sharks-a-playoff-team-again-next-season/

$7 mil cap hit until 2026 on a declining 33-year-old. No thanks