Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

$7 mil cap hit until 2026 on a declining 33-year-old. No thanks

In no way is this is a fit with our rebuild plan.

On 5/10/2020 at 1:52 PM, Commandant said:

Stay far away from Vlasic.  He used to be good defensively, but even that is dropping off.

Agreed. But, If MB is still looking to add someone short term through UFA, I personally would look at throwing some short term cash at Big Bufylien. I think its safe to say Romanov is making this team from the start and will have to play himself off it... MB has a crush on him.

7 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Agreed. But, If MB is still looking to add someone short term through UFA, I personally would look at throwing some short term cash at Big Bufylien. I think its safe to say Romanov is making this team from the start and will have to play himself off it... MB has a crush on him.

If the CH did not do that for Markov, I don’t want them to do it for Buff

personally I don't want Buff either but as a scenario that MB does want to add... i dont want Vlasic for sure and think taking a flyer on Buff would be more ideal short term.

Ive always had a heart Markov... My door is open as it was for Plex to reach a well deserved milestone! 

On 5/12/2020 at 10:37 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

We don't need RD

If Buff is looking for a 1 year cheap, prove it deal, I'd take him as our third pair RD.  Never hurts to have depth. And he's another great candidate to trade at the deadline for a high pick if he does rejuvenate his career with us.

If he wants to get paid, then yes, he's gonna be too expensive to be our third pair D when we need to use those resources elsewhere.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

With Botterill and Sexton fired ... Pierre McGuire (on TSN690) postulated that the difference of opinion was ownership wanting to lower costs by shrinking hockey ops and maybe player payroll ... what would it take to justify the Habs taking on Skinner's contract?

48 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

With Botterill and Sexton fired ... Pierre McGuire (on TSN690) postulated that the difference of opinion was ownership wanting to lower costs by shrinking hockey ops and maybe player payroll ... what would it take to justify the Habs taking on Skinner's contract?

A massive US television deal that made the cap go up significantly to make the contract only really bad instead of beyond awful.  That deal could very well be the worst in the NHL when you consider it has seven years left on it.  I wouldn't be wanting to help a division rival by taking on that bad of a deal unless it was a ridiculous overpayment.  The problem is, with the cap levelling out, it's hard to be able to afford Skinner on the books plus whatever player(s) make up the overpayment.

47 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I'm a no on that deal.  Its awful, long term at a huge cap hit for a player who throughout his career is very inconsistent.  Looking at his stats, he has 3 seasons over 60 points in 10 years in the league.  Yeah occassionally he's a scorer, but other years he is meh.... and then there is his latest year where he completely cratered. 

22 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'm a no on that deal.  Its awful, long term at a huge cap hit for a player who throughout his career is very inconsistent.  Looking at his stats, he has 3 seasons over 60 points in 10 years in the league.  Yeah occassionally he's a scorer, but other years he is meh.... and then there is his latest year where he completely cratered. 

I agree ... he has been a yoyo ... some years almost worth his deal ... most not ... but IMO worth considering ***IF*** the Sabres are willing to "pay" enough to make it worthwhile ... 

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I agree ... he has been a yoyo ... some years almost worth his deal ... most not ... but IMO worth considering ***IF*** the Sabres are willing to "pay" enough to make it worthwhile ... 

I don’t think I’d want him for the duration of the contract even if the sabres picked up 50% of his contract.  3 or 4 years at 50% sure.  But the last 4 years he is probably going to be anchor.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

If someone wants to pay up for me to take 1 or 2 years of a deal, sure... but for a 7 year deal, no thanks. We will eventually have to pay guys like KK, Caufield, Romanov, Suzuki, and whoever we draft this year, plus other prospects.  7 years messes that up. 

I mean the Leafs paid a first round pick for Carolina to take (and buyout) one year of Marleau.  7 years of a deal like that? Yikes.

The Jets paid us pretty well for one year of Mason. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DON said:

Spending Canadian dollars would likely save the NHL money

• Upvote 1

New GM in Buffalo ... Sabres don't get a TOP pick ... what would it take to get their 8th overall selection?

As I am a "re-@#$%&" (the word that MB shall not speak) advocate I'd start with Domi and Mete as an opening offer and see how talks go.

If we can get a young centre capable of scoring 60-70 points with the 8th pick that would be a tremendous return.

So lets trade a 24 year old who already does that and a 21 year old D who can play in the top four... for a chance at that.

We could have the boat... or we could have the mystery box... which if all goes perfect would be a boat.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

New GM in Buffalo ... Sabres don't get a TOP pick ... what would it take to get their 8th overall selection?

As I am a "re-@#$%&" (the word that MB shall not speak) advocate I'd start with Domi and Mete as an opening offer and see how talks go.

Hell I’d be saying “you know what this Eichal kid is going to be a distraction and make your life difficult with all his whining and complaining and shooting off his mouth to the media.  And you know what you LT owner is asking you to cut costs, I’ll make you an offer you can’t refuse paizan, I’ll take that salary off your hand a and give you 3 great players who are nice quite kids, you’ll have there potential 1st line centres in KK, Domi and Poehling.” 

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Hell I’d be saying “you know what this Eichal kid is going to be a distraction and make your life difficult with all his whining and complaining and shooting off his mouth to the media.  And you know what you LT owner is asking you to cut costs, I’ll make you an offer you can’t refuse paizan, I’ll take that salary off your hand a and give you 3 great players who are nice quite kids, you’ll have there potential 1st line centres in KK, Domi and Poehling.” 

I like the cut of your jib, good sir. It won't happen, but it'd be cool if it did.

• 3 weeks later...

There have been lots of bits&bytes used up with Tory Krug rumours ... one thing I have never heard mentioned is that apparently he and Jeff Petry are good buddies ... they were university teammates ... likely not a big factor ... but could help *** IF *** Krug is even considering Montreal ...

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/behind-enemy-lines-torey-krug-on-jeff-petry/c-286583742

12 hours ago, GHT120 said:

There have been lots of bits&bytes used up with Tory Krug rumours ... one thing I have never heard mentioned is that apparently he and Jeff Petry are good buddies ... they were university teammates ... likely not a big factor ... but could help *** IF *** Krug is even considering Montreal ...

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/behind-enemy-lines-torey-krug-on-jeff-petry/c-286583742

Anything is possible, but if I were him, I'd stay in Beantown and with one of the best-run franchises in hockey, rather than sign with a permanent bubble team like Montreal.

28 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Lots of rumours that the Canucks could shop Brock Boeser in the off-season. 

The Habs should definetely be involved if he's put on the market. 

Unless Boeser wants out, the Canucks would be insane to do that. 

They are in a cap nightmare because their GM has overpaid for a whole raft of semi-useless plugs and because their ownership appears to be too cheap to be willing to eat bad contracts in the minors. If they trade Boeser as a response to these problems, Benning should be fired immediately. It'd be like the Habs trading Suzuki because we can't afford to keep both him and Alzner.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Lots of rumours that the Canucks could shop Brock Boeser in the off-season. 

The Habs should definetely be involved if he's put on the market. 

AGREED ... maybe move Alzner west and Eriksson east as part of the deal ... net savings of $1.375 million for 'Nucks ... Habs could even increase that slightly by retaining salary/cap-hit if further lowers the cost of Boeser

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Unless Boeser wants out, the Canucks would be insane to do that. 

They are in a cap nightmare because their GM has overpaid for a whole raft of semi-useless plugs and because their ownership appears to be too cheap to be willing to eat bad contracts in the minors. If they trade Boeser as a response to these problems, Benning should be fired immediately. It'd be like the Habs trading Suzuki because we can't afford to keep both him and Alzner.

The rumours are that they would trade Boeser plus a bad contract, and then re-sign Toffoli.

Apparently they think Toffoli is better than Boeser, which is crazy.  I know he's been fantastic since they acquired him, but that seems like a small sample size. While he's good, Toffoli is not a better player than Boeser.