Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The rumours are that they would trade Boeser plus a bad contract, and then re-sign Toffoli.

Apparently they think Toffoli is better than Boeser, which is crazy.  I know he's been fantastic since they acquired him, but that seems like a small sample size. While he's good, Toffoli is not a better player than Boeser. 

Couldn't agree more. I wonder if what's happening here is that Boeser's RFA demands are felt by management to be excessive, and management is over-reacting by talking themselves out of him as a core piece (which he is). Ego may be playing a role; certain GMs seem to get their backs up if they feel a young player is being too insistent on getting paid what they're worth. Benning is one of those old-school types who might well act that way.

In fairness to Benning, they may also be worried about his injury history - he does seem to have a lot of trouble staying healthy.

Anyway, if the Habs can profit from Benning's apparent stupidity, then so much the better.

23 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Boeser is good, but I would personally rather pursue Bear or Sergachev (or another young D at a cap-constrained team), whether through a trade or an offer sheet.

I have not look recently, but a few weeks ago I thought that the D pipeline for the CH was adequate (although missing a stud LD) and that a more pressing need was a 1st line or 2nd line scoring RW.

I would take Boeser and a bad contract over a Sergachev on an offer sheet.

And if I am not mistaken Bear is a RD

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Boeser is good, but I would personally rather pursue Bear or Sergachev (or another young D at a cap-constrained team), whether through a trade or an offer sheet.

Why a d-man? and you know Quebec would be Sergachev's last choice + TB will be keeping him and shipping out forward or two for cheap picks/prospects, so is a non strarter. And Bear likely not gonna play 3rd pairing is he? And is he much of upgrade over both  Fleury or Juulsen?

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I have not look recently, but a few weeks ago I thought that the D pipeline for the CH was adequate (although missing a stud LD) and that a more pressing need was a 1st line or 2nd line scoring RW.

We have Romanov, who is very promising but yet to play an NHL game. Norlinder is also promising. But after that it's Mete, Juulsen, Fleury, Kulak, Leskinen -- I think only Mete projects as possible top-pair potential. And at some point in the not-too-distant future our old D (Weber, Petry, Chiarot) will start riding off into the sunset, so our D needs will increase.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Couldn't agree more. I wonder if what's happening here is that Boeser's RFA demands are felt by management to be excessive, and management is over-reacting by talking themselves out of him as a core piece (which he is). Ego may be playing a role; certain GMs seem to get their backs up if they feel a young player is being too insistent on getting paid what they're worth. Benning is one of those old-school types who might well act that way.

In fairness to Benning, they may also be worried about his injury history - he does seem to have a lot of trouble staying healthy.

Anyway, if the Habs can profit from Benning's apparent stupidity, then so much the better.

Boeser has no rfa demands.

Hes signed... 5.875 million for the Covid cup plus 2 more years.  Hes not rfa til 2022.

I think the injury history, plus some comments that he was thinking of opting out (he ultimately didnt) is rubbing Benning the wrong way.

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

Lots of rumours that the Canucks could shop Brock Boeser in the off-season. 

The Habs should definetely be involved if he's put on the market. 

The original rumour came from Matt Sekeres who has been trying to hype up multiple players being available that don't seem to make much sense.

25 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hes signed... 5.875 million for the Covid cup plus 2 more years.  Hes not rfa til 2022.

I think the injury history, plus some comments that he was thinking of opting out (he ultimately didnt) is rubbing Benning the wrong way.

Boy, I'm way out of the hockey scene, obviously. The RFA demands were from 2019. D'uh. Thanks for setting me straight.

There may, however, still be bad blood from that negotiation? Benning may be like Bergevin and resent having his balls put to the grindstone by RFAs in negotiations. Sheer speculation, but typical of how these old school dummies seem to react.

19 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

The original rumour came from Matt Sekeres who has been trying to hype up multiple players being available that don't seem to make much sense.

Sekeres is usually not a fairly serious man, not a dingbat. But maybe this is a case of his getting carried away with his own inferences. A lot of Vancouver media have been spinning this question of "who will the Canucks move in order to escape the cap crunch," and of course, it's a sexier story to throw big names like Boeser out there than, say, Brendan Sutter.

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

... I think only Mete projects as possible top-pair potential ...

Respectfully, Mete is a great skater but IMO average, or below average, in other categories (in 3 seasons he has averaged 33 seconds of PP and 35 seconds of PK per game, on a team that was 24th in PP and 28th on PK over that time)   ... he stood out his first season because he was a pleasant surprise in an otherwise dumpster fire of a season ... and even then he was barely over 14 minutes per game at even strength, 1:24 PP (followed by 0:19 and 0:04) ... he reminds me of a better skating Josh Gorges but with no more offence and much less defence ... IMO he maxes out as a #4 and more likely is a 5-6-7.

All that to say that other than Romanov and Norlinder I don't see any LHD with top 4 potential currently under contract ... but Struble and Harris or unknowns that some speak highly of them.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Agreed ... "rumour" is that Vancouver is looking at it as a means to free up some cap space and extend some players and go after UFAs (Toffoli perhaps foremost amongst them)

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

We have Romanov, who is very promising but yet to play an NHL game. Norlinder is also promising. But after that it's Mete, Juulsen, Fleury, Kulak, Leskinen -- I think only Mete projects as possible top-pair potential. And at some point in the not-too-distant future our old D (Weber, Petry, Chiarot) will start riding off into the sunset, so our D needs will increase.

I think the CH will need to trade for two top D prospects to develop behind Romanov and Juulsen to leapfrog them when ready

Prospects better than Sergachev and Brooks. 

I have no clue how they’ll do it, but I am convinced those two top Ds will not come through the draft, offer sheet or free agency

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

More than likely no fire behind the rumoured smoke ... but Bergevin was not looking to trade PK either ... no GM admits one of their better players is on the market lest they aren't moved

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Boy, I'm way out of the hockey scene, obviously. The RFA demands were from 2019. D'uh. Thanks for setting me straight ...

The rumours speak of one of the issues being what it is expected it will take to re-sign Hughes, Pearson, Toffoli, Pettersson, Virtanen and Markstrom (or a legit replacement) this summer or next summer ... so it isn't Boesers demands but projected "demands" on the cap for others.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Interesting.

In the New World we are going to be banished for wishing ill on someone, but I would not mind if he could not make it for the play-in as well. 

3 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

In the New World we are going to be banished for wishing ill on someone, but I would not mind if he could not make it for the play-in as well. 

No one wishes Covid on anyone. That said, if Sid has a groin pull or something, hey, there will be no tear in my beer about that 😉

4 hours ago, DON said:

Interesting.

Pittsburgh already trying to out tank us. Bergevin hit them back and take out weber and price 😂. Just so people know around here i am joking, don't want to get hit with all those I don't believe in tank replays lol.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Pittsburgh already trying to out tank us. Bergevin hit them back and take out weber and price 😂. Just so people know around here i am joking, don't want to get hit with all those I don't believe in tank replays lol.

Smartly played ... BTW, I do believe "tanking" exists, but it is a longer-term play by GMs (i.e., build a weaker roster by trading higher-end players in return for young prospects & draft picks) ... but Molson et al won't ever buy into it.

2 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Just for me, it is what if Ovi or Sidney goes down with sickness, is such a game breaker

19 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No one wishes Covid on anyone. That said, if Sid has a groin pull or something, hey, there will be no tear in my beer about that 😉

Maybe his conditioning peak passed in June and he's just worn out now? 🤪

On 7/19/2020 at 7:34 PM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Much like Kovalev and Koivu, it seems that Malkin steps up his game to another level when Crosby is out and Evgeni is "THE MAN" ... always thought Kovalev did the same when Saku was out

47 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

What if we as usual have our autumn 19 wins in 24 games now instead of the beginning of regular season? 
We will win the cup! 🤪🎉🍾👍

It's a bit like asking "what if Brian Savage led the league in scoring in April instead of October?" but it's nice to contemplate.

• 3 weeks later...

If the Oilers win the second lottery ... do they want another top prospect or immediate help?

What do they need?

McDavid, Draisaitl and Nugent-Hopkins all played 22-23 minutes per game in the play-in ... only those three and Yamamoto played more than 11 minutes per game 5-on-5 ... they may be looking for top 6 forward depth ... on defence, Adam Larson has one year left @ $4.167M but was 4th TOI and Russell one yr @ $4M at 5th place TOI ... not to mention James Neal with 3 yrs @ $5.75M ... 

AND ... Oilers are tight-ish with the cap if they want to improve their roster

If MB thinks he can either live with Neal on the third line, or move him with some AAV retained, that could be one way to approach it ... say Domi for the first overall, Neal and Puljarvi as a starting point for talks?   Have heard/read talk of Edmonton being hot for Gallagher

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If the Oilers win the second lottery ... do they want another top prospect or immediate help?

What do they need?

McDavid, Draisaitl and Nugent-Hopkins all played 22-23 minutes per game in the play-in ... only those three and Yamamoto played more than 11 minutes per game 5-on-5 ... they may be looking for top 6 forward depth ... on defence, Adam Larson has one year left @ $4.167M but was 4th TOI and Russell one yr @ $4M at 5th place TOI ... not to mention James Neal with 3 yrs @ $5.75M ... 

AND ... Oilers are tight-ish with the cap if they want to improve their roster

If MB thinks he can either live with Neal on the third line, or move him with some AAV retained, that could be one way to approach it ... say Domi for the first overall, Neal and Puljarvi as a starting point for talks?   Have heard/read talk of Edmonton being hot for Gallagher

They need a LW that can play along side McDavid so they can take Draisaiti off and put him 2nd line center to even out the scoring. So don't see them trading the 1st overall pick if they get it.