Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If the Oilers win the second lottery ... do they want another top prospect or immediate help?

What do they need?

McDavid, Draisaitl and Nugent-Hopkins all played 22-23 minutes per game in the play-in ... only those three and Yamamoto played more than 11 minutes per game 5-on-5 ... they may be looking for top 6 forward depth ... on defence, Adam Larson has one year left @ $4.167M but was 4th TOI and Russell one yr @ $4M at 5th place TOI ... not to mention James Neal with 3 yrs @ $5.75M ... 

AND ... Oilers are tight-ish with the cap if they want to improve their roster

If MB thinks he can either live with Neal on the third line, or move him with some AAV retained, that could be one way to approach it ... say Domi for the first overall, Neal and Puljarvi as a starting point for talks?   Have heard/read talk of Edmonton being hot for Gallagher

No way Domi alone gets you a first overall. 
If they win the lottery MAYBE Gallagher, Poehling, Byron and our 1st for the first and taking Neal and Russell.

more likely The MAY give up the number one overall for Price and our first if we took Russell, Neal and Koskinen.  I’d wouldn’t want to make that deal on our side unless I was more confident about Premieau and We were getting more prospects back.

more likely they would take Lafreniere as a winger that will be cheap for next three years.

A little bit of housekeeping here.  This thread is for actual rumours, not speculation, trade proposals, or suggestions from posters/media.  Proposals should go in the thread for those and general discussion points in the thread for that.  (For anyone looking for the posts that were here earlier, look for them in the 2019-20 discussion thread.)  If this thread is being bumped, it should be for some sort of semi-verifiable rumour (a so-so source is acceptable), not hypotheticals.

• 3 weeks later...

Two inter-related Hockey30 rumours:

1. Marc Bergevin looking for a PACKAGE DEAL that includes Darnell Nurse and Jesse Puljujarvi ... Edmonton wants Gallagher but also interested in Domi and Tartar
    Much depends on how you evaluate Nurse and Puljujarvi ... I've read some who are big fans or Darnell and others think he is overrated ... same with Puljujarvi ... he never seemed to get it together with Oilers but  seems he has his game back together in Finland's SM-liiga (2019/20, 56gm, 24g, 29a, 53pts, 52 PIMs, +30) ... 5th in goals, 4th in scoring ... hopefully Habs scouted carefully.

2. Edmonton Oilers will move out two out of their Top 4 d-men (cited in Hockey30) ... Nurse, Bear, Klefbom or Larsson ... so, if MB is chasing an Oilers D-Man (as suggested above) which one should it be ... Klefbom (27) and Nurse (25) provide immediate top 4 LHD help ... Oscar has 3yrs @ $4.167M while Nurse has 2yrs @ $5.6 ... Larsson seems to be a RH-Chiarot type and wouldn't seem to be useful to the habs ... Bear is a 23 yr-old RHD and RFA ... could be a useful addition if other deals are planned ... or would lock up the 3rd pairing RHD for next season and beyond.

Nurse, Klefbom and Bear all warrant consideration ... Bear would not immediately replace Petry or Weber, but he could allow a Petry or Weber deal for a net upgrade to the roster ... but the LHD seem more likely ... Klefbom has a definite salary cap advantage, in both AAV and term ... over the last three seasons they have virtually the same PPG ... Nurse has a significant even strength production advantage, but Klefbom has a similar PP advantage ... but Nurse is +8 while Klefboom is -40 ... that seems like a good reason to prefer Nurse unless there is hidden meaning in the plus/minus numbers.

Much as I love Gallagher I fear how much longer he will be healthy enough to produce at the level he can now ... would have to seriously consider BG for Nurse and JP ... frankly, I would move BG before Domi and Tartar ... not that I see them both staying on the roster but one of them could be used in another trade to further upgrade the roster ... as could Mete or Kulak if Nurse (or Klefbom) were acquired.

Of the four, I would choose Bear, giving us a young top-four D talent. And on the right side, where we will urgently need reinforcements sooner or later, when Weber and/or Petry retire, are traded or are injured. With Romanov now here and other options in the pipeline, our left side should be in better shape and improving yet.

Giving up Domi and Tatar, though, with Puljujarvi the only forward coming back, would not help our inept finishing. Unless there is a separate deal in the works to address that ...

55 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

1. Marc Bergevin looking for a PACKAGE DEAL that includes Darnell Nurse and Jesse Puljujarvi ... Edmonton wants Gallagher but also interested in Domi and Tartar
    Much depends on how you evaluate Nurse and Puljujarvi ... I've read some who are big fans or Darnell and others think he is overrated ... same with Puljujarvi ... he never seemed to get it together with Oilers but  seems he has his game back together in Finland's SM-liiga (2019/20, 56gm, 24g, 29a, 53pts, 52 PIMs, +30) ... 5th in goals, 4th in scoring ... hopefully Habs scouted carefully.

2. Edmonton Oilers will move out two out of their Top 4 d-men (cited in Hockey30) ... Nurse, Bear, Klefbom or Larsson ... so, if MB is chasing an Oilers D-Man (as suggested above) which one should it be ... Klefbom (27) and Nurse (25) provide immediate top 4 LHD help ... Oscar has 3yrs @ $4.167M while Nurse has 2yrs @ $5.6 ... Larsson seems to be a RH-Chiarot type and wouldn't seem to be useful to the habs ... Bear is a 23 yr-old RHD and RFA ... could be a useful addition if other deals are planned ... or would lock up the 3rd pairing RHD for next season and beyond.

Nurse, Klefbom and Bear all warrant consideration ... Bear would not immediately replace Petry or Weber, but he could allow a Petry or Weber deal for a net upgrade to the roster ... but the LHD seem more likely ... Klefbom has a definite salary cap advantage, in both AAV and term ... over the last three seasons they have virtually the same PPG ... Nurse has a significant even strength production advantage, but Klefbom has a similar PP advantage ... but Nurse is +8 while Klefboom is -40 ... that seems like a good reason to prefer Nurse unless there is hidden meaning in the plus/minus numbers.

Much as I love Gallagher I fear how much longer he will be healthy enough to produce at the level he can now ... would have to seriously consider BG for Nurse and JP ... frankly, I would move BG before Domi and Tartar ... not that I see them both staying on the roster but one of them could be used in another trade to further upgrade the roster ... as could Mete or Kulak if Nurse (or Klefbom) were acquired.

I’d move tartar and Domi for Nurse, Puljujarvi, and at least one of their top prospects.

if we move Gallagher, I want one of the oilers top D prospects (Bouchard/Broberg) and Puljujarvi included in any package.  

I hate to love a heart and would player like Gallagher, but I think we need to given his contract status, style of play and mileage on his small frame.  But when you move a  guy like that it has to be a home run and there are a few times (like Edmonton) that we should be able to get them to overpay.

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Of the four, I would choose Bear, giving us a young top-four D talent. And on the right side, where we will urgently need reinforcements sooner or later, when Weber and/or Petry retire, are traded or are injured. With Romanov now here and other options in the pipeline, our left side should be in better shape and improving yet.

Giving up Domi and Tatar, though, with Puljujarvi the only forward coming back, would not help our inept finishing. Unless there is a separate deal in the works to address that ...

I agree ... longer term Bear would be my choice as well ... but I expect any "big" deals for next season will be of the "help now" type, hence the likelihood that any deal would involve Klefbom or Nurse ... if it is Domi and Tartar going west any deal might have to be expanded, unless MB is confident of a UFA/RFA acquisition ... Hopkins would clear more cap space if Oilers have plans to bring in other high-priced players ... but not certain how RNH would fit the Habs roster unless one of PD/NS/KK is included in the deal ... Athanasiou (RFA) might be a better target ... designing a trade is much like baking a soufflé, it doesn't take mush to cause all to fall apart. 

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

OIlers 215 goals against, Sabres 215 goals against...why in hell would oilers trade any good d-man? They are in desperate need of more good d, not less. No? 

17 minutes ago, DON said:

OIlers 215 goals against, Sabres 215 goals against...why in hell would oilers trade any good d-man? They are in desperate need of more good d, not less. No? 

The difference is that the oilers scored 225, 30 more than the Sabres, so they are going for a powerful offence rather than a stingy defence. A different approach, to be sure, but it can also work.

Horrible Hockey30 rumour, that Calgary has offered Sam Bennet for Max Domi ... get real ... Bennet was a 12:31 player with the Flames, 4th line ... forgetting the tournament, Domi was a 14:45 TOI player with more than three times the production of Bennett in what for Max was a down season,

Unless it was really just an opening overture to serious discussions about Gaudreau or Monahan (or even Lindholm) it is just insulting

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It could just be wishful thinking on the part of some Calgary fans ...

Ryder and a second for Sydney Crosby?

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Horrible Hockey30 rumour, that Calgary has offered Sam Bennet for Max Domi ... get real ... Bennet was a 12:31 player with the Flames, 4th line ... forgetting the tournament, Domi was a 14:45 TOI player with more than three times the production of Bennett in what for Max was a down season,

Unless it was really just an opening overture to serious discussions about Gaudreau or Monahan (or even Lindholm) it is just insulting

If I was Bergevin and I finally had this kind of trade opportunity's at his disposal,  I would be looking for a #1LD over a forward. Top D's are hard to come by unless you can trade or draft them.  We finally have the parts and cap space to pull off that kind of trade.

Forwards are more easily to get. So if Domi is the odd man out and is in play i would package our 1st round pick with Domi and finally try and land that top D.

6 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

If I was Bergevin and I finally had this kind of trade opportunity's at his disposal,  I would be looking for a #1LD over a forward. Top D's are hard to come by unless you can trade or draft them.  We finally have the parts and cap space to pull off that kind of trade.

Forwards are more easily to get. So if Domi is the odd man out and is in play i would package our 1st round pick with Domi and finally try and land that top D.

Tend to agree ... but when discussing trade proposals, unless I strenuously object I accept the premise and go from there

5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

1) Edmonton has no reason to part with a controllable asset in Nurse for wingers that they won't be able to afford a year from now as a UFA and Montreal wasn't believed to be interested in Puljujarvi a year ago.  I can't see that happening.

2) Hockey30 did an appalling job citing this one.  This was not an Edmonton Journal report, this was Brian Lawton's pure speculation and his track record is, well, lousy when it comes to predicting things.  From the EJ article:

Lawton then made his prediction:  “I would not be surprised if some of the veteran d-corp got moved. As a matter of fact I expect, in my opinion, that we won’t see two of the guys next year who played Top 4 this year. I have no knowledge of that. That’s just my opinion.”

And yet Hockey30 turns around and says it's a rumour reported by the EJ when the article they cite plainly shows that it's Lawton's pure guesswork. 

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

1) Edmonton has no reason to part with a controllable asset in Nurse for wingers that they won't be able to afford a year from now as a UFA and Montreal wasn't believed to be interested in Puljujarvi a year ago.  I can't see that happening.

2) Hockey30 did an appalling job citing this one.  This was not an Edmonton Journal report, this was Brian Lawton's pure speculation and his track record is, well, lousy when it comes to predicting things.  From the EJ article:

Lawton then made his prediction:  “I would not be surprised if some of the veteran d-corp got moved. As a matter of fact I expect, in my opinion, that we won’t see two of the guys next year who played Top 4 this year. I have no knowledge of that. That’s just my opinion.”

And yet Hockey30 turns around and says it's a rumour reported by the EJ when the article they cite plainly shows that it's Lawton's pure guesswork. 

Totally agree it makes more sense for them to move Klefbom ***IF*** they are going to move either of them ... but GMs are not always logical ... ownership may also expect Holland to do something significant ... Katz has been the owner since the year after their Finals appearance in 2006 ... under his regime the Oilers have missed the playoffs 11 times, lost in the second round once and this season were solidly in a playoff spot and then lost to the 23rd ranked Hawks in the Tournament Play-in ... daryl may be running out of patience.

Also, always cite my source when possible as Hockey30 is not Bob McKenzie.

So back on the 22nd Elliotte Friedman said that Oliver Ekman-Larsson is open to leaving Arizona. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time because Ekman-Larsson is a star player with a NMC and therefore isn't coming to Montreal, but doesn't it kinda make a lot of sense?

Arizona needs:

Cap relief

Draft picks

Forwards that can score

Arizona has:

Top-pairing LH defenseman

Montreal needs:

Montreal has:

Cap space

A metric ####ton of picks and prospects

Many wingers that if you squint enough look capable offensively.

Additional notes:

OEL is due a $4 000 000 signing bonus in September that Arizona would definitely prefer not to pay, and some other teams in the hunt for his services might also balk at taking on the cost, while Montreal would have no such qualms. OEL has the 4th highest cap hit among defensemen, and is, uh, not living up to the number.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Trizzak said:

So back on the 22nd Elliotte Friedman said that Oliver Ekman-Larsson is open to leaving Arizona. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time because Ekman-Larsson is a star player with a NMC and therefore isn't coming to Montreal, but doesn't it kinda make a lot of sense?

Arizona needs:

Cap relief

Draft picks

Forwards that can score

Arizona has:

Montreal needs:

Montreal has:

Cap space

A metric ####ton of picks and prospects

Many wingers that if you squint enough look capable offensively.

Additional notes:

OEL is due a $4 000 000 signing bonus in September that Arizona would definitely prefer not to pay, and some other teams in the hunt for his services might also balk at taking on the cost, while Montreal would have no such qualms. OEL has the 4th highest cap hit among defensemen, and is, uh, not living up to the number.

I had mentioned in the trade proposal thread that I thought Arizona is probably going to blow things up and I think OEM, Kessel will will probably moved.  I think they will try moving older and expensive players.  OEM is the guy I’d want, but question is who can we offer that we want to move.  They aren’t going to want Drouin, Domi or Tatar.  I can’t see them even going after Gallagher because of his contract status. No way do I trade Suzuki, KK, or caufeild.  I just don’t see us a fit unless we also took contracts of Stepan and Kessel in a larger package.

i think there is probably a better fit with Toronto for Nylander.

I really dont think Montreal is trading for a defender this season. If they can sign another quality depth D on UFA market "on the cheap" ala Chairot then yes. Otherwise I truly believe MB believes the answer on D is from within the system and will play the long game. With a very well managed CAP currently and taking into consideration the expansion draft, and flat cap these upcoming years, as well as big raises to some key players in the near future. I think whatever CAP we do have will be spent up front. Just my thoughts only.

Romanov/ Mete will push Chairot and Kulak for a top 4 spot. Petry and Weber are locks in the top 4 (barring a Petry trade due to contract status) and Juulsen, Fleury, Brook fighting on the fringes of the right. So a depth player on the right side is what i see happening if anything. Of course a deal for OEL or a signing of Pietrangelo opens alot of doors for more moves. I just dont see it happening.

I really think he's looking for major scoring help on the wings to support our 2 young C stars... picks prospects cap space thats our leverage in our next trade deal. 

Rumours and talk (however real they actually are) of Gaudreau, Laine, Nylander are all promising plays. Personally Id love to see Tckachuk from Calgary (a pipe dream I know) or Mantha from Detroit (Yzerman owes us one). With that said, I would not be disappointed in landing a scorer like Gaudreau. although size does matter.. lol

My untouchable prospects in Montreal... 

Caufield  scorer

Romanov Dman

Norlinder Dman

Primeau Goalie

maybe Struble

not prospects anymore and are full time NHLers

Suzuki Center  

Kotkaniemi Center

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

I really dont think Montreal is trading for a defender this season. If they can sign another quality depth D on UFA market "on the cheap" ala Chairot then yes. Otherwise I truly believe MB believes the answer on D is from within the system and will play the long game. With a very well managed CAP currently and taking into consideration the expansion draft, and flat cap these upcoming years, as well as big raises to some key players in the near future.

I totally agree, especially if they resign Petry then the kids coming up will fill the remaining slots on defence. They need another scoring winger. 

Rumours and talk (however real they actually are) of Gaudreau, Laine, Nylander are all promising plays. Personally Id love to see Tckachuk from Calgary (a pipe dream I know) or Mantha from Detroit (Yzerman owes us one). With that said, I would not be disappointed in landing a scorer like Gaudreau. although size does matter.. lol

Personally I would prefer to not trade for anyone with the last name Tkachuk.

I also think Kovalchuk is resigning in Mtl, especially if a trade does happen and we lose a top 9 winger in the deal. again my thoughts  only

If it happens, he'll need load management just as much as Price, or more.

I also think Kovalchuk is resigning in Mtl, especially if a trade does happen and we lose a top 9 winger in the deal. again my thoughts  only

His play post Montreal was unimpressive ... in the Tournament he played 3rd line minutes 5-on-5 and 2nd unit PP time but produced only 1 assist ... so, if no better use can be made of the cap space, I can see signing him at 3rd/4th liner with 2nd unit PP time money ... might even be part of a "Plan B" to try to build three second lines if no top 6 upgrades available ... keeps Domi at centre but gives real meaning to the idea of "rolling four lines"

Intriguing idea regarding Ekman-Larssen https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/08/29/canadiens-could-acquire-oliver-ekman-larsson/

He and Romanov would transform the D, I'm sure.

The trouble, as always, is the return. I mean, Caulfield? No, but other options might be of interest.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Intriguing idea regarding Ekman-Larssen https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/08/29/canadiens-could-acquire-oliver-ekman-larsson/

He and Romanov would transform the D, I'm sure.

The trouble, as always, is the return. I mean, Caulfield? No, but other options might be of interest.

I really like OEL, but don’t want another situation where we trade away a potential superstar we drafted.  We still need help on the wing and the hope is Caufield fills that need. We agould

be trying to upgrade the D And our wingers by moving Domi, Drouin, Tatar. If one of them and a puck gets us OEL, I’d than move Petry to get help on the wing if needed.  Don’t know what it will cost to resign him and with Weber and OEL, sound if we could afford the $7m+ needed to rensign Petry.

20 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I really like OEM, but don’t want another situation where we trade away a potential superstar we drafted.  We still need help on the wing and the hope is Caufield fills that need. We agould

be trying to upgrade the D And our wingers by moving Domi, Drouin, Tatar. If one of them and a puck gets us OEM, I’d than move Petry to get help on the wing if needed.  Don’t know what it will cost to resign him and with Weber and OEM, sound if we could afford the $7m+ needed to rensign Petry.

Actually, I might well be willing to combine Domi + one of those two for OEM. That'd leave a hole up front, but try to sign a UFA W to make up for it.