Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

25 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Intriguing idea regarding Ekman-Larssen https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/08/29/canadiens-could-acquire-oliver-ekman-larsson/

He and Romanov would transform the D, I'm sure.

The trouble, as always, is the return. I mean, Caulfield? No, but other options might be of interest.

Trouble with a trade for someone like OEL is that you have to give up at least one piece, if not two, that you don't want to ... Take KK, Suzuki, Romanov and Caufield off the table and formulating a deal gets difficult ...if they were to  trade OEL it would seem to signal a rebuild ... or at very least a re-set ... Drouin, Domi and Lehkonen (25) might be young enough to be of interest, but they are solid second/top 3rd line scorers ... Mete, Juulsen, Brook and Fleury are rebuild/tool type pieces ... but none of those have "headliner" buzz ... and if they are looking to cut cap they might want to move Stephan, Kessel, Grabner, Goligoski, Hajalmarsson and Demers ... however, all but Stephan have some sort of NTC and only Grabner really is a bad contract (and one year @$3.35M isn't that bad, especially if you are moving out veterans, not shopping for high-end UFAs) ... the others may be overpaid (depending who you ask) but they have legit trade value, maybe with minimal AAV/salary retention ... it would not be value in a deal to "take on" the contracts - IMO

2020 and 2021 first rounders plus the two highest second rounders this draft might be a solid basis for talks to get serious, but expect they would want one of Fleury/Brook/Juulsen.

But does OEL make the habs a Cup contender next season ... not IMO ... he likely makes them a solid playoff (with perhaps a second round expectation) team ... but they still lack currently elite top 6 scoring (Gallagher and Tartar are productive but not quite elite - IMO).

21 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Actually, I might well be willing to combine Domi + one of those two for OEM. That'd leave a hole up front, but try to sign a UFA W to make up for it.

I’d do that as well - but doubt if Phoenix would want Domi or Tatar.

If we did get OEL, I think you need to move Petry than for a winger and I’d try to get another young Dman.  I don’t want to have to sign Petry for $7m+ for 5 to 8 years. We’d have to much tied up on an aging D if we kept Petry. With the uncertainty around the cap, we may put ourselves in trouble resigning our kids and Danault/Gallagher.

22 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Trouble with a trade for someone like OEL is that you have to give up at least one piece, if not two, that you don't want to ... Take KK, Suzuki, Romanov and Caufield off the table and formulating a deal gets difficult ...if they were to  trade OEL it would seem to signal a rebuild ... or at very least a re-set ... Drouin, Domi and Lehkonen (25) might be young enough to be of interest, but they are solid second/top 3rd line scorers ... Mete, Juulsen, Brook and Fleury are rebuild/tool type pieces ... but none of those have "headliner" buzz ... and if they are looking to cut cap they might want to move Stephan, Kessel, Grabner, Goligoski, Hajalmarsson and Demers ... however, all but Stephan have some sort of NTC and only Grabner really is a bad contract (and one year @$3.35M isn't that bad, especially if you are moving out veterans, not shopping for high-end UFAs) ... the others may be overpaid (depending who you ask) but they have legit trade value, maybe with minimal AAV/salary retention ... it would not be value in a deal to "take on" the contracts - IMO

2020 and 2021 first rounders plus the two highest second rounders this draft might be a solid basis for talks to get serious, but expect they would want one of Fleury/Brook/Juulsen.

But does OEL make the habs a Cup contender next season ... not IMO ... he likely makes them a solid playoff (with perhaps a second round expectation) team ... but they still lack currently elite top 6 scoring (Gallagher and Tartar are productive but not quite elite - IMO).

I would not want to move that many draft picks for OEL.  The league is getting younger and while we have two really good young kids, there is a lot of hope for Romanov and Caufield, by they are no sure things.  The other prospects are less certain.  I’d hate to give up two 1st rounders and a 2nd and still miss the playoffs. 

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I still say we should look for a game breaker on the wing, rather than a defenceman right now. 

I’d like to do both if we can.

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

I still say we should look for a game breaker on the wing, rather than a defenceman right now. 

Spot on... we have so many kid D prospects. Give them a chance!  Our cap $ will be better spent getting some scoring prowess. If we had another player able to score more proficiently we might still be watching the habs right now. Defence was not an issue these playoffs. Scoring was

2 hours ago, DON said:

So you prefer 2 mediocre players and not an all star-type eh.

No. I want one of each.  I’d move one our existing dmen for an upgrade.  I think I’d we can trade for an OEL type or sign a Pietrangelo, we can move Petry as a part of a package for a a top winger.  Petry will be a UFA and I don’t think it’s possible to extend him at a higher than current cap hit - that’s too much money tied up on 3 dmen.  I’d also be leery Of having him and weber on retirement type contracts.

20 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I would not want to move that many draft picks for OEL.  The league is getting younger and while we have two really good young kids, there is a lot of hope for Romanov and Caufield, by they are no sure things.  The other prospects are less certain.  I’d hate to give up two 1st rounders and a 2nd and still miss the playoffs. 

I was not suggesting the habs make that trade (apologies for not making that clear) rather saying that without a couple of elite youngsters who can step on the ice next season to immediately be actively a part of start a rebuild the Yotes would be looking for more if it was just draft picks

Hopefully MB is calling ... 

Interesting to note that Ehlers and Drouin played together in Halifax.

44 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Hopefully MB is calling ... 

Interesting to note that Ehlers and Drouin played together in Halifax.

Not interested in a Ehlers add...but a Laine would look darn good in a Hab jersey.

What do Jets want or need? Jets have some caproom it appears.

32 minutes ago, DON said:

Not interested in a Ehlers add...but a Laine would look darn good in a Hab jersey.

Add Laine and Puljujarvi and we'll start looking like Team Finland. :D

23 minutes ago, DON said:

Laine would certainly be the grand prize ... but Ehlers would still provide an upgrade in top 6 scoring wingers

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Add Laine and Puljujarvi and we'll start looking like Team Finland. :D

KK would undoubtedly be smiling.

21 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’d like to do both if we can.

There is only so much cap room.  If you want a true elite player (8.25 million AAV for OEL), you need to pick one of the two positions.  Taking on Ekman Larsson means you won't be getting a true game breaker on the wing.  No one is giving one up with a cheap contract and if you want one he's gonna be a guy who is getting paid. 

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

There is only so much cap room.  If you want a true elite player (8.25 million AAV for OEL), you need to pick one of the two positions.  Taking on Ekman Larsson means you won't be getting a true game breaker on the wing.  No one is giving one up with a cheap contract and if you want one he's gonna be a guy who is getting paid. 

If you trade for OEL and move Petry, and two of Drouin, Domi and Tatar. there should be enough money to get a cheaper top 4 and a top line winger.

I think Petry and a winger and a pick should get you a good winger.  Won't get Laine, they would probably want someone locked up on D. If we got OEL and resigned  Petry, l i wonder if Weber could be part of package for Laine?  

I can't see them ever trading Weber, but i don't think its prudent to have both Weber and Petry on long term expensive deals at their age.

11 hours ago, GHT120 said:

but Ehlers would still provide an upgrade in top 6 scoring wingers

25g/yr for $6m/yr...i would maybe swap him for Drouin, but thats about it.

But for Tatar, Domi, or Gallagher, Caufield no thanks

43 minutes ago, DON said:

For that return on the $ , I would keep the local kid to provide headlines for the media.

a good chunk of Drouin’s contribution is for that purpose  

54 minutes ago, DON said:

But for Tatar, Domi, or Gallagher, Caufield no thanks

8 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

For that return on the $ , I would keep the local kid to provide headlines for the media.

a good chunk of Drouin’s contribution is for that purpose  

That undoubtedly factors into MB's thinking, but at 27.6 versus 18.5 goals per 82 games (excluding their rookie seasons, in which Ehlers also performed better) IMO it shouldn't ... but I know it will.

Similarly, Ehlers averages what Domi scored in his one season of greater than 20 gaols/per 82 games, is a year younger and locked up long term ... ***if*** Max gets back to the 25-30 goal range he will not be any cheaper than Ehlers over the 5 seasons for which Nikolaj is signed (unless Max sells his future for security coming off a down season ... which I would be both surprised and disappointed with) ... I am not convinced Domi is not a 20 goal/season scorer.

Based on Brendan's last three seasons, Gallagher outperforms Ehlers but is (a) 4 yrs older, (b) due an extension for (IMO) at least Ehlers' money and (c) has 8 seasons of 18-wheeler miles on a light-truck frame ... but, to be clear, I would expect more than Ehlers if trading Gallagher.

Wouldn't want to move Caufield for Ehlers, but maybe in a Laine trade.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

And Leskinen a few metro stops away.

Yeah, but the chances Ikonen or Leskinen ever play any meaningful minutes for the team seem to be very low right now. 

Ylonen has a better chance, but is by no means a sure thing.