Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

43 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yeah, but the chances Ikonen or Leskinen ever play any meaningful minutes for the team seem to be very low right now. 

Ylonen has a better chance, but is by no means a sure thing. 

I really meant that Leskinen is in town, even if not playing for the Habs, so there is one more Finn to hang out with. But, yes, at the moment it looks like he's an AHL guy that can occasionally help out the Habs in case of injuries. But they did sign him for two years (this season and next) so presumably they think there is some hope that he might be able to up his game once he has more AHL experience under his belt. Probability is surely not high but let's wait and see.

Ikonen is a whole different question. Bigger upside, but he might not even be offered a contract next summer unless he impresses this coming Liiga season (starts at the beginning of October). He is apparently expecting to be ready by then, even if he is continuing rehab for now. Truly a last chance for him to make it to the NHL; otherwise he will likely end up staying in Liiga.

I never understood the whole "Bring in guys from the same country because they'll help each other out" narrative. If I'm in another country and run into a random Canadian the novelty wears off after approximately 5 minutes.

One exception to that would be if a player might need a bit of help adjusting to learning English as a second language and needing a player to translate for the coaching staff.

43 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I never understood the whole "Bring in guys from the same country because they'll help each other out" narrative. If I'm in another country and run into a random Canadian the novelty wears off after approximately 5 minutes.

One exception to that would be if a player might need a bit of help adjusting to learning English as a second language and needing a player to translate for the coaching staff.

I agree, the Habs saw the Balkanization of the club with all the Russians leave in the same summer and leave a few gaping holes

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

I think that's really a big part what happened with Puljujarvi. Our Finnish trio (Armia, Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen) on the other hand, didn't have much difficulty adjusting: witness Kotkaniemi's friendship with Mete. Part personality, part confidence, part maturity, part pre-existing language skills. (I don't know enough about Leskinen or Ylonen to know where they are on this spectrum.)

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I think that's really a big part what happened with Puljujarvi. Our Finnish trio (Armia, Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen) on the other hand, didn't have much difficulty adjusting: witness Kotkaniemi's friendship with Mete. Part personality, part confidence, part maturity, part pre-existing language skills. (I don't know enough about Leskinen or Ylonen to know where they are on this spectrum.)

In another thread I said bring in more Finns and Swedes, but it was more tongue in cheek and I made the comment more because there are some really good Swedish and Finnish players available. Do I think it would help Puljujarvi’s adjustment? Probably. But I think Edmonton has been a development nightmare where other than Draisaitl and McDavid no one has lived up to expectations.  I think Yakapov probably could have had a career as a decent 2nd line winger, had he not gone to Edmonton.  When I think of Puljujarvi, I think of the Pens trading away Naslund.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

In another thread I said bring in more Finns and Swedes, but it was more tongue in cheek and I made the comment more because there are some really good Swedish and Finnish players available. Do I think it would help Puljujarvi’s adjustment? Probably. But I think Edmonton has been a development nightmare where other than Draisaitl and McDavid no one has lived up to expectations.  I think Yakapov probably could have had a career as a decent 2nd line winger, had he not gone to Edmonton.  When I think of Puljujarvi, I think of the Pens trading away Naslund.

Yeah, that's surely part of it. But Puljujarvi was also not very mature yet (for his age) and had relatively weak English skills, so that contributed to his lack of confidence. Another player development disaster for the Oilers.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Yeah, that's surely part of it. But Puljujarvi was also not very mature yet (for his age) and had relatively weak English skills, so that contributed to his lack of confidence. Another player development disaster for the Oilers.

I agree with that. I just think that I’d be willing to take a chance on th is kid, because of what Edmonton is like and I think going back to Europe is the best thing he could have done. 

< apologies ... not a rumour >

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

The latest Domi rumour ... for a pair of pending RFA’s: Matt Benning and Andreas Athanasiou ... I could see Athanasiou as a good 3rd line addition ... 20 goal scorer, fast (sort of a 2nd tier Tomas Tartar ) ... but Benning has been a 3rd pairing defenceman the last two seasons on a defence that was hardly stellar ... he got Folin/Ouellette  or less minutes ... might fill the 6/7 role but overall seems a bit light for Domi ... 

It sucks that his the odd man out, like him as a player and a hab.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

The latest Domi rumour ... for a pair of pending RFA’s: Matt Benning and Andreas Athanasiou ... I could see Athanasiou as a good 3rd line addition ... 20 goal scorer, fast (sort of a 2nd tier Tomas Tartar ) ... but Benning has been a 3rd pairing defenceman the last two seasons on a defence that was hardly stellar ... he got Folin/Ouellette  or less minutes ... might fill the 6/7 role but overall seems a bit light for Domi ...

This is not a rumour.  This is straight up speculation.  From the link in the tweet:

Montreal is also very deep down the middle but I could see them looking for some help on the blueline or some scoring help on the wings. The Oilers have a pair of pending RFA’s in Matt Benning and Andreas Athanasiou that I could see Habs GM Marc Bergevin being interested in.

That does not equate to a trade rumour of Benning and Athanasiou for Domi.  That is one person speculating that the Habs might want those players (both of which are in jeopardy of being non-tendered because of their required qualifying offers, for what it's worth) and suggesting that Edmonton would want Domi (which doesn't make a lot of sense either). 

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

This is not a rumour.  This is straight up speculation.  From the link in the tweet:

That does not equate to a trade rumour of Benning and Athanasiou for Domi.  That is one person speculating that the Habs might want those players (both of which are in jeopardy of being non-tendered because of their required qualifying offers, for what it's worth) and suggesting that Edmonton would want Domi (which doesn't make a lot of sense either). 

Would it best fit in trade proposal ... even if not mine?

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Would it best fit in trade proposal ... even if not mine?

That'd be a better fit of the two options, yes.  In this case, the article isn't even that - it's just a supposition that the Habs could be interested in those two and that Edmonton could be a fit for Domi; it's not even linking the two together necessarily.

• Upvote 1

Stu montreal gazette;

"Friedman doesn’t believe the Canadiens see Domi as a $5-million player and I agree. Domi also doesn’t get along well with coach Claude Julien."

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Stu montreal gazette;

"Friedman doesn’t believe the Canadiens see Domi as a $5-million player and I agree. Domi also doesn’t get along well with coach Claude Julien."

But they saw Drouin as a $5.5M player🙄

6 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He ticked off the francophone box as well, so kinda opposite of a home town discount.:spamafote:

16 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

He did score 53 points in his second full season, so most likely they were expecting a continued upward trajectory. It hasn't quite worked out that way, at least not up to now.

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

He did score 53 points in his second full season, so most likely they were expecting a continued upward trajectory. It hasn't quite worked out that way, at least not up to now.

At least he fished playoffs well, with 4pts in last 2 gms and 7pts in 10gms overall is respectable.

16 minutes ago, DON said:

At least he fished playoffs well, with 4pts in last 2 gms and 7pts in 10gms overall is respectable.

Yeah, but he wasn’t saddled with Weise and Weal and got his points playing with quality players. Neither are consistent. I think Drouin has more skill, but I wouldn’t want to count on him. Domi has more bite to go with his skill, but wants to be a centre, but isn’t that great of a centre, or two way player and seems to sulk.

frankly, I’d like them both upgraded with better wingers for KK and Suzuki, but you don’t exactly help yourself when you devalue your own assets.  They should have had  Domi playing on the wing from the start with better players.  At least Drouin got a chance later in the playoffs.

I remember liking Drouin's contract at the time. The logic was, lock the kid up at a reasonable rate before he hits his full stride. That's good practice in a cap system. Unfortunately he had already hit "full stride" - i.e., a soft, inconsistent, one-dimensional #6 FW.  Oops.

12 hours ago, DON said:

Stu montreal gazette;

Domi is certainly not a $5 mil player on a strong club, especially with the cap flat and revenues looking terrible. I will be surprised if he is not traded this summer. He needs to go to a weak team, because, I believe, that's the player he is: a guy who can be a top-6 C on a team that has sufficient holes that they don't mind that he can't win draws, is sketchy in his own end, and - perhaps - may not be particularly coach-able. On the latter point, it's telling to me that he started strong with two organizations and then progressively lost standing with them. 

It's a bit like the Habs with Desharnais...we were so weak at that position that we kinda just shrugged and accepted DD's weaknesses because he could at least produce respectable #2C offence. The Buffalo rumours seem to make sense; they fit the profile of a team that just needs a C who can add some production, and forget about all that other stuff.

Cowan is banging the drum for Hall, who Dreger sees as quite happy to sign in a Canadian market and willing to embrace all the razzle-dazzle that entails. Habsworld, what say you? Do we want MB to go hard for Hall? Discuss.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I remember liking Drouin's contract at the time. The logic was, lock the kid up at a reasonable rate before he hits his full stride. That's good practice in a cap system. Unfortunately he had already hit "full stride" - i.e., a soft, inconsistent, one-dimensional #6 FW.  Oops.

Domi is certainly not a $5 mil player on a strong club, especially with the cap flat and revenues looking terrible. I will be surprised if he is not traded this summer. He needs to go to a weak team, because, I believe, that's the player he is: a guy who can be a top-6 C on a team that has sufficient holes that they don't mind that he can't win draws, is sketchy in his own end, and - perhaps - may not be particularly coach-able. On the latter point, it's telling to me that he started strong with two organizations and then progressively lost standing with them. 

It's a bit like the Habs with Desharnais...we were so weak at that position that we kinda just shrugged and accepted DD's weaknesses because he could at least produce respectable #2C offence. The Buffalo rumours seem to make sense; they fit the profile of a team that just needs a C who can add some production, and forget about all that other stuff.

Cowan is banging the drum for Hall, who Dreger sees as quite happy to sign in a Canadian market and willing to embrace all the razzle-dazzle that entails. Habsworld, what say you? Do we want MB to go hard for Hall? Discuss.

I think the gazette writers have been out of tune with reality since Fisher retired (although Cowan is probably the best of the remaining writers) and I dislike as Dreger more than any of the insiders (seemed McKenzie and Friedman always seemed to have actual insider information than Dregwrs spitballing).

now if love to have Hall if it’s under $8.5m - don’t think he’a as good as the share season, or as bad as this past season.  I just don’t see him signing here.  I think he goes either home to Calgary, or to a true contender. Heck, I could see him going back to Edmonton, before he would come here.  Who knows may get enticed with how Suzuki and KK looked I’m the playoffs, but I think he wants a more legitimate contender.

He is the type of player we need, is free (other than cap space), but we rally are not all that attractive to most free agents.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Buffalo rumours:

Ive long thought Ristolainen could be had out of Buffalo. There whole team is pretty much UFA/RFA so slim pickings except for big ticket players. Also, I believe our R side of the D is what needs re-enforcement.  We have an abundance of left d prospects and very few on the right. With Romanov and Mete battling it out for the 3 spot and a bunch more prospects on the left side pipeline. The right is top heavy with weber and petry no doubt. However, depth on the right is Fleury, Jules and Brooks and thats it!

As for Hall

a UFA signing of that calibre is long overdue. He would be a 100% upgrade to any player we currently dress on the left side but, is he the right choice /fit?

One thing is for certain, he has been saddled with some poorly structured teams. Could a well balanced Habs team give him room to truly flourish?

I believe if a NM clause can be avoided, certainly that would be a solid free asset acquisition. And allow us to still move out players via trade for another top 9 upgrade.

Tatar Dan Gallagher

Drouin Suzuki Armia

Hall KK ????? (currently Domi)

Byron Evans Lehkonan

I really think we need to make a splash now and leverage the CAP before big raises to Suzuki, KK, Petry (underpaid), Danault (underpaid), Gallagher (underpaid) etc.

17 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think the gazette writers have been out of tune with reality since Fisher retired (although Cowan is probably the best of the remaining writers) and I dislike as Dreger more than any of the insiders (seemed McKenzie and Friedman always seemed to have actual insider information than Dregwrs spitballing).

now if love to have Hall if it’s under $8.5m - don’t think he’a as good as the share season, or as bad as this past season.  I just don’t see him signing here.  I think he goes either home to Calgary, or to a true contender. Heck, I could see him going back to Edmonton, before he would come here.  Who knows may get enticed with how Suzuki and KK looked I’m the playoffs, but I think he wants a more legitimate contender.

He is the type of player we need, is free (other than cap space), but we rally are not all that attractive to most free agents.

I think the playoff drive flipped the script on the Habs a bit around the NHL. We're now suddenly perceived as a team which combines up and coming stud young C with the kinds of vets anyone would be happy to play with. Since (as I've long argued) NHL players operate by reputation rather than independent analysis, Hall might well be interested in that.

That said, i'll concede that I have never been one of those who believes Montreal is axiomatically unattractive to top UFAs. I think the problem we've generally had is not Montreal per se, but that the team has had minimal positive buzz around it. We have a bit of that buzz now. If Hall is the kind of guy who wants to be where the action is, in a market that loves hockey, then maybe we can get him inked - especially now, with so many teams likely to be hyper-conservative due to flat cap and dead revenues.

It's almost sure to be a contract that sucks on the back end, however. There's no getting around that: you sign an elite UFA, you are in for an overpay, especially in the twilight of the contract. That's just the way it is.

38 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Buffalo rumours:

Ive long thought Ristolainen could be had out of Buffalo. There whole team is pretty much UFA/RFA so slim pickings except for big ticket players. Also, I believe our R side of the D is what needs re-enforcement.  We have an abundance of left d prospects and very few on the right. With Romanov and Mete battling it out for the 3 spot and a bunch more prospects on the left side pipeline. The right is top heavy with weber and petry no doubt. However, depth on the right is Fleury, Jules and Brooks and thats it!

As for Hall

a UFA signing of that calibre is long overdue. He would be a 100% upgrade to any player we currently dress on the left side but, is he the right choice /fit?

One thing is for certain, he has been saddled with some poorly structured teams. Could a well balanced Habs team give him room to truly flourish?

I believe if a NM clause can be avoided, certainly that would be a solid free asset acquisition. And allow us to still move out players via trade for another top 9 upgrade.

Tatar Dan Gallagher

Drouin Suzuki Armia

Hall KK ????? (currently Domi)

Byron Evans Lehkonan

I really think we need to make a splash now and leverage the CAP before big raises to Suzuki, KK, Petry (underpaid), Danault (underpaid), Gallagher (underpaid) etc.

I honestly think Hall will not sign in Montreal for the same reason that Radulov didn't: taxes

Coming from a low tax state like Arizona, and looking for a big pay rise: why would he want to sign in a place where half his salary would be taken away?

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think the playoff drive flipped the script on the Habs a bit around the NHL ...

Not certain it entirely flipped the script around the NHL, but I think pages were turned for some players who previously mighty not have looked at the Habs ... but it may not be entirely positive for MB ... many/most fans likely have much higher expectations, and that may apply to Geoff Molson as well.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... That said, i'll concede that I have never been one of those who believes Montreal is axiomatically unattractive to top UFAs. I think the problem we've generally had is not Montreal per se, but that the team has had minimal positive buzz around it. We have a bit of that buzz now ...

Agree that it is not axiomatic that UFAs won't sign with Montreal ... and the lack of success has absolutely been a factor, the Habs play in the Tournament is definitely a start to turn that around ... but only a start ... a few weeks doesn't easily overturn 19 of 26 seasons of not making the playoffs (11) or only winning one round (8) ... and as good as KK and NS looked, they are not yet proven commodities in terms of being UFA magnets.

Taxes, language" and the MMM (Montreal media microscope) have been factors as well ... taxes are what they are (and there are other high tax cities around the NHL), the French Fact of Montreal is a negative for some, an attraction for some and (IMO) not a major issue for most ... as for the MMM, it is more intense than in that vast majority of other NHL cities, but if that is an issue then best the players don't come

On 9/5/2020 at 1:22 PM, Habsfan89 said:

It sucks that his the odd man out, like him as a player and a hab.

Agreed. I still don't understand why he suddenly became the odd man out...especially after having an incredible 72 point season in 2018-19!