Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 minute ago, DON said:

If he was signed long term, would be a different story.

Maybe ... but after searching for a top-end centre for so long I would still hesitate to move either KK or Suzuki ... no guarantee that both of them will become legit first line/top 6 quality centres (technically no guarantee that either will) ... with the luck Habs have had at centre in recent years/decades they would trade the wrong one.

56 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Hockey30 speculates it is because the Jets asked for

1. KK or Suzuki; and
  2. Romanov or Caufield; and
  3. the Habs #1 (16th overall)

That is not an unreasonable ask for a elite goal scorer ... but I wouldn't make that trade

It might not be unreasonable. Maybe. But if we made that trade, we'd have Laine, yes, but gaping holes elsewhere.

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It might not be unreasonable. Maybe. But if we made that trade, we'd have Laine, yes, but gaping holes elsewhere.

Agreed ... hence "I wouldn't make that trade"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Hockey30 speculates it is because the Jets asked for

1. KK or Suzuki; and
  2. Romanov or Caufield; and
  3. the Habs #1 (16th overall)

That is not an unreasonable ask for a elite goal scorer ... but I wouldn't make that trade

Laine is an elite goal scorer but that is too much to give up. If you give up Suzuki then who would pass Laine the puck?

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Laine is an elite goal scorer but that is too much to give up. If you give up Suzuki then who would pass Laine the puck?

6 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Substitute Domi in #1 add any other prospect for #2 and add another first rounder, if we can agree on the extension.

2 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Wow thank god your not Gm. If any of our prospects are untouchable first one would be Caufield he reminds me of ZACH PARISE. Also if Jets do trade Laine it's going to be for a D.

Caufield May turn out to be a great player.  What he is right now is a player looking great in non-professional hockey.  He has barely any professional hockey experience and the little he does have is in the IIHF World Juniors, on one of the top 4 teams in the world, playing teams that are worse than his college team.  The last World Juniors tournament, I watched a few USA games to see how good this highly regarded player was.  He didn’t look spectacular to me, he looked ok, not like a sure-fire 40 goal scorer.  Didn’t Justin Shultz look like a cant miss prospect when he was playing in college and wouldn’t sign with the Oilers?  

Forgive me for suggesting an unproven player is worth trading for a proven goal scorer.  I may eat my words about him in a couple of years, but this is what I see now.

Absolutely. There is significant risk attached to any player who has yet to play an NHL game. Caufield has played only college, not SHL/Liiga/KHL, so the risk is even higher. And because of this risk, you cannot value him as highly as someone like Laine, who has demonstrated that he can play (and score!) at the NHL level.

It's possible that Caufield might turn out to be as good as Laine. But it's also possible that I can buy a winning lottery ticket tonight. Neither one is guaranteed, though.

21 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

Caufield May turn out to be a great player.  What he is right now is a player looking great in non-professional hockey.  He has barely any professional hockey experience and the little he does have is in the IIHF World Juniors, on one of the top 4 teams in the world, playing teams that are worse than his college team.  The last World Juniors tournament, I watched a few USA games to see how good this highly regarded player was.  He didn’t look spectacular to me, he looked ok, not like a sure-fire 40 goal scorer.  Didn’t Justin Shultz look like a cant miss prospect when he was playing in college and wouldn’t sign with the Oilers?  

Forgive me for suggesting an unproven player is worth trading for a proven goal scorer.  I may eat my words about him in a couple of years, but this is what I see now.

Right now we don't know what Laine is either in the NHL. He started strong then fell off, which is why he maybe traded. Do the Jets know something no on else does when it comes to him?  What if you take that gamble and Caufield out score's Laine the rest of his career? Not taking the gamble. 

We don't know the issue with Laine. When he got less ice time and wasn't playing on the top line did he just stop caring, since he didn't get his way? If so is that the kind of player you want on your team? We just traded a guy who had pour work ethic in galchenyuk a few years ago. 

Could Laine be a great player yeah when he wants to be. So do we want to take that on? could be kvoy 2.0 with laine 

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Absolutely. There is significant risk attached to any player who has yet to play an NHL game. Caufield has played only college, not SHL/Liiga/KHL, so the risk is even higher. And because of this risk, you cannot value him as highly as someone like Laine, who has demonstrated that he can play (and score!) at the NHL level.

It's possible that Caufield might turn out to be as good as Laine. But it's also possible that I can buy a winning lottery ticket tonight. Neither one is guaranteed, though.

I wish my chances of winning the lottery tonight were greater than Caufield being a 30-40 goal scorer.

3 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

I agree that I want the proven player and I would give up Caufield to get him. 

However, Domi plus Caufield, plus a first is simply too much given the contract situation for Laine. 

All that said, judging players by one tournament is stupid. 

It's a two week sample size, where a player is playing with linemates he has never played with before.  People overrate the World Juniors so much in evaluating prospects and its really dumb.  Caufield scored 70 goals and set records for most goals ever by a player at the US NTDP.  That's huge, especially considering the players who have come through the US NTDP... phil kessel, auston matthew, Patrick Kane, Jack Eichel, etc... etc... he broke all their records for goal scoring.  He then went to Wisconsin, and on a bad NCAA team was one of the best freshmen in all of college hockey.  He's done everything he possibly could to be a top prospect and deserves his ranking.  A two week tournament, where a coach unfamiliar with him used him in weird ways.... meh, who cares. 

Just now, Commandant said:

... I agree that I want the proven player and I would give up Caufield to get him ...

Agree ... but all depends on the player and his contract

3 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Wow thank god your not Gm. If any of our prospects are untouchable first one would be Caufield he reminds me of ZACH PARISE. Also if Jets do trade Laine it's going to be for a D.

if he ONLY reminds you of zack parise then you make the trade for Laine.... If he reminds you more of Marty St.Louis with a better shot then maybe we second guess trading him?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

if he ONLY reminds you of zack parise then you make the trade for Laine.... If he reminds you more of Marty St.Louis with a better shot then maybe we second guess trading him?

Their is a reason Jets are shopping him.  Do you really want to give up what you need to give up to gamble on him? Smart trade for the jets would be with wild laine for dumba.

3 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Their is a reason Jets are shopping him.  Do you really want to give up what you need to give up to gamble on him? Smart trade for the jets would be with wild laine for dumba.

I think the Jets get fleeced in that deal. dumba is not nearly enough for Laine.

11 minutes ago, Habsfan89 said:

Don't believe the Jets are shopping him to get rid of him ... they are reportedly looking for a top pairing defenceman and know they need to give to get.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Commandant said:

I agree that I want the proven player and I would give up Caufield to get him. 

However, Domi plus Caufield, plus a first is simply too much given the contract situation for Laine. 

All that said, judging players by one tournament is stupid. 

It's a two week sample size, where a player is playing with linemates he has never played with before.  People overrate the World Juniors so much in evaluating prospects and its really dumb.  Caufield scored 70 goals and set records for most goals ever by a player at the US NTDP.  That's huge, especially considering the players who have come through the US NTDP... phil kessel, auston matthew, Patrick Kane, Jack Eichel, etc... etc... he broke all their records for goal scoring.  He then went to Wisconsin, and on a bad NCAA team was one of the best freshmen in all of college hockey.  He's done everything he possibly could to be a top prospect and deserves his ranking.  A two week tournament, where a coach unfamiliar with him used him in weird ways.... meh, who cares. 

Thanks for educating me on the US NTDP situation, I don't follow it myself. 

Romaov's value is clearly tied to his World Juniors accomplishments.  Outside of those, he's just ok.  He's not playing meaningful minutes in the KHL.  Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm going on whats being said on here about him.

6 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

Romaov's value is clearly tied to his World Juniors accomplishments.  Outside of those, he's just ok.  He's not playing meaningful minutes in the KHL.  Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm going on whats being said on here about him.

Obv. no expert here but have read reports from those who do this for a living that Romanov was underused in KHL as it was known he would not be back this year so his playing time was affected by that, but apparently increased as the stakes were getting higher.

Recall an interview with Markov where he had praised Romanov quite heavily as well, hard to argue with the general. (Was it general?)

interesting points all around though. I am quite excited to see how he performs as he appears to be highly competitive and has an edge.

my fearless prediction is that he is on top pair with Weber before too long next season. 
Hopefully Weber grooms him a la Josi given the high praise Josi had for the impact Weber had on his development.

9 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

He has done fine in KHL in his 12:53/gm, till playoffs and then down to 1/2 dozen shifts per game. But, played on strong team and think they play with 8 d-men.

Vs his peers he stood out, but will be big step up to NHL speed and seems odd that they all are saying he has already made team, when 25 minutes in AHL might be what he needs, if AHL operates. No pressure.

On 9/25/2020 at 12:20 PM, Habsfan89 said:

Not sure of the Zach Parise comparison.  Zach is 5"11' and 196 lbs.  I'm assuming that you are basing your comment on similar skills? 

40 minutes ago, Blazer said:

Not sure of the Zach Parise comparison.  Zach is 5"11' and 196 lbs.  I'm assuming that you are basing your comment on similar skills? 

Yes eye for the net and scoring goals, right place right time. All things Zach was great at. Maybe more of a Johnny hockey type of player in today's NHL.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, TurdBurglar said:

18 and 19 year old d usually dont play any minutes in the KHL and especially not for one of the best teams in the league (forwards do but d is rare) Thats the thing with romanov.  Hes at an age where he should be in a junior league and hes cracking the best defensive group in russia.