Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

1 hour ago, TurdBurglar said:

Read that the Habs were in on Hoffman but couldn’t work out a number that fit under the cap.  Sounded it it was around the time of the Toffoli deal, so Toffoli may of been the backup plan to that.

I think I would rather have Toffoli anyway,  4.5 million/year is a great deal in my opinion.

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think I would rather have Toffoli anyway,  4.5 million/year is a great deal in my opinion.

With the caveat that we haven't seen a single game yet, I tend to agree. And Toffoli is flexible enough to be able to play both wings.

It came from Elliot Freedman, so it's much more credible than than an Eklund.

Pierre LeBrun also reported that Montreal was among the teams in on Hoffman although his report suggested it was more keeping tabs than aggressively pursuing.  It was noted that they did have exploratory talks about what it'd cost to clear salary to make it happen.

I would do KK and Mete in a heartbeat, I would throw in a 1st to sweeten the pot.  I'm not sure I would do Suzuki.  The kid looks like he's capable of putting up more points than PLD.  PLD and Suzuki as our top 2 centers would be formidable in a couple of years.

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's what's in the tweet you quoted, yes.  Of course, that would put the Habs well over the cap so any deal wouldn't be that simple.

KK, Mete, Byron for PLD would be about $600K increase for the habs.  Which isn't an unfair deal, 2, possibly 3, roster players, 2 of which still have potential to be impact players.

21 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

KK, Mete, Byron for PLD would be about $600K increase for the habs.  Which isn't an unfair deal, 2, possibly 3, roster players, 2 of which still have potential to be impact players.

Not for the Habs ... but CBJ would never do that deal ... KK yes, potential impact player ... but Mete is an undersized 5/6/7 defenceman and Byron a useful, but overpaid in a flat cap era, 3rd line veteran who turns 32 before the playoffs ... both are useful but not valuable in a trade for a player player like PLD.

37 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

That still doesn't work on the cap though as two players have to be brought up still.  Even if it's Perry and let's say Ouellet for simplicity, that's another $1.5M or so being added to the roster.  They don't have that much in banked space yet.

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

It might need some cbj retained salary.

I'm not one to get into optics too much but how bad would it look if they had to retain on the contract on top of giving in to his trade request?  If something with Kotkaniemi would be the core of the deal, the Habs would either have to move a second roster forward (on top of potentially Byron) while taking a cheaper one in return or wait until closer to midseason when they may have been able to bank enough cap room to be able to do the trade.  Could they bank enough to be able to do it a month from now when they have their bye week?  (They have 6 days off from Feb. 14-19.)  They'd have to really get aggressive with their cap shuffles and stay perfectly healthy to have a shot at that.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Not for the Habs ... but CBJ would never do that deal ... KK yes, potential impact player ... but Mete is an undersized 5/6/7 defenceman and Byron a useful, but overpaid in a flat cap era, 3rd line veteran who turns 32 before the playoffs ... both are useful but not valuable in a trade for a player player like PLD.

I was thinking the same thing. To get PLD outta Columbus is gonna cost us alot!

KK, Caufield and Byron?? Would that do it?   If not, i'd be willing to throw in a 2nd rounder as well...maybe even a 1st rounder.

In terms of cap space, we would be sending about 4.2 million in salary to Columbus and we'd be taking on PLD's 5 million$

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

The something else would probably need to be Byron or someone making around that much money. 

No friggin way would I trade Suzuki 

• Like 1

I would do KK and Mete in a heartbeat, I would throw in a 1st to sweeten the pot.  I'm not sure I would do Suzuki.  The kid looks like he's capable of putting up more points than PLD.  PLD and Suzuki as our top 2 centers would be formidable in a couple of years.

I don’t know. When you look at KK’s shot and how he growing into his body and factor in controlled years. Don’t think I’d do this. Three untouchables fir me are Suzuki, KK and Romanov.  We already mad a boneheaded move of trading a young dman.  Don’t need to trade anymore youth.  

Id try Drouin and Danault, but can’t see Columbus going for that.

Another deal I’d be willing to pull the trigger on, but  I’m sure no one else would do, and with the emergence of there young players, I doubt if Columbus would be willing is, Price and Drouin for one of their young goalies and PLD.  Of course I can’t ever see Price agreeing to that either.

3 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t know. When you look at KK’s shot and how he growing into his body and factor in controlled years. Don’t think I’d do this. Three untouchables fir me are Suzuki, KK and Romanov.  We already mad a boneheaded move of trading a young dman.  Don’t need to trade anymore youth.  

Id try Drouin and Danault, but can’t see Columbus going for that.

Another deal I’d be willing to pull the trigger on, but  I’m sure no one else would do, and with the emergence of there young players, I doubt if Columbus would be willing is, Price and Drouin for one of their young goalies and PLD.  Of course I can’t ever see Price agreeing to that either.

I agree that I don't want to see KK go, but you can be sure Columbus is not going to accept anything from us if one of Suzuki or KK are not included in the deal. Let's not forget that PLD is only 22 years old. It's not like he's old and unlike KK, had last year been a full 82 game season, PLD would have three 20-goal seasons under his belt.

1 minute ago, Habsfan said:

I agree that I don't want to see KK go, but you can be sure Columbus is not going to accept anything from us if one of Suzuki or KK are not included in the deal. Let's not forget that PLD is only 22 years old. It's not like he's old and unlike KK, had last year been a full 82 game season, PLD would have three 20-goal seasons under his belt.

Samsonov’s first couple of years were more productive than Joe Thornton.  I’d be hesitant to trade a 20 year old (21 now?). His and Suzuki’s play in the playoffs has me pumped. I’d love to have PLD. But would not want to trade 4 if the following young players.  Suzuki, Romanov, KK and Caufield. We’re a team that has $15m tied up in goalies.  We need to to have some lower salaries $ value contracts and more control.  I really think if we offered any other two prospects with Drouin and Danault that MAY get things done, depending on how confident the jackets are on being able to sign Danault to an extension.

we already gave away a young player in Sergechev. Don’t need to give up other high picks that look like they are going to be good players.