Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

37 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Happy happy. :gohabsgo:

Looking at what CBJ got for Dubois, I am more convinced than ever that trading for him would not have made the Habs a stronger team. Not because he isn’t good but the impact on the rest of the team.

Agreed. Columbus got an excellent return. To match Laine/Roslovic the Habs would have to give up Suzuki +, or KK ++,  very relieved it didn't happen. 

Would have been nice to add a big young center to the lineup but i glad we didn't give up Suzuki, KK, or Romanov.

If KK was the main piece Habs would have to include salary plus a top prospect and high pick as well IMO.  I like the way KK is looking and he could turn out to be a better player then PLD.

Had no problem if Danault was the centerpiece going back but knew it was unlikely being much older and a year away from being UFA.  No way they take Drouin as the main piece as well.  Habs have lotsa futures they coulda sent, but probably not enough without the top 3 guys mentioned.

I like the Habs lineup right now and wanna see how it progresses.

This was the one rumoured PLD trade I didn't want to happen ... Scheifele, PLD and Stastny as their 1C-3C is true DEPTH at centre.

25 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

This was the one rumoured PLD trade I didn't want to happen ... Scheifele, PLD and Stastny as their 1C-3C is true DEPTH at centre.

That is an excellent group at centre, certainly one of the best.  A lot better than their group of wingers. 

Yikes! That’s a big price to pay for PLD.

Now that he’s been traded, who’s the next name moving that we can post about? If Buffalo falls out of it maybe Taylor Hall again?

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Winnipeg it is:

Have been offline, so totally missed this!

I don’t get this deal for either team.

deal makes sense for the Jets IF PLD has no issue playing for Winnipeg. I like Laine better, but it’s obvious he doesn’t want to be there and it’s a good holiday return IF PLD is willing to sign an extension at the end of the year.  But if PLD also doesn’t want to resign with Winnipeg, they just exchanged one problem for another in the long-term.  They also are hurt in the short-term, given its a condensed season, and they will have to wait until PLD completes quarantine requirements.

on the Columbus side, they get a local boy AND the best player. However, I don’t see Laine wanting to stay in Columbus long-term.  Very marginal step up location wise over Winnipeg.  Columbus is certainly not where I’d want to live if I could pretty much choose where to live in another two years!!  For a team that has trouble retaining players, you would think they’d want either someone who is signed long-term, or that they have more years of control over.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Not disagreeing, but to pass on acquiring Dubois because of a hot start seems like crazy logic to me.  

If

1. Dubious develops into a legit top-5 NHL C and Suzuki doesn’t; OR

2. CBJ was interested in KK, we refused, and KK then fails to become an impact C;

THEN we will live to rue the day.

If Dubious never becomes more than a 70-point C capable of dominating for some stretches, then we won’t rue anything, assuming that either Slick Nick or KK fulfill their potential.

SO, just asking, what is your guess how will play out? Will Dubois be a superstar in winnipeg? And maybe  help take them to promised land.

It will be interesting to revisit this in 2-3 years and see whether we regret passing on Dubois. But for now, sure, I’m OK with all this. If CBJ was insisting on Suzuki then it would be folly to make that deal.

100% agree.  Even if PLD ends up scoring Suzuki by a wide margin 3-4 years from now, I still will not regret on passing on trading Suzuki+ for PLD. PLD has not shown enough, and if anything PLD is showing the same petulant behaviour as the other young Francophone local boy we traded for - and that trade looks bad.  

Suzuki on the other hand, looks like an extremely skilled, consummate dedicated pro with huge upside.  I wouldn’t have minded trading a Poehling, Danault and Drouin, but no way do I want to trade Suzuki and Romanov. They are the type of prospects we’ve been lacking for a long time.  I disagree with you on the willingness to trade KK.  If I’m picking up player with baggage, I want to clearly be on the winning side of a Roy type deal (ie not willing to give up a lot for a disgruntled player having an issue with coach - we should have fired the coach and if I was the Columbus GM, I would have seen if that would have addressed the issue in signing PLD to a longer extension, but indigress). Unlike Roy, PLD had not yet shown himself to be a dominant player in his position- let alone a proven multiple conn smythe winner like Roy did. So I’d be unwilling to trade KK for a guy, who is a couple of years ahead on the development curve, but may not be a significant long-term upgrade.  

Not disagreeing, but to pass on acquiring Dubois because of a hot start seems like crazy logic to me.  

If

1. Dubious develops into a legit top-5 NHL C and Suzuki doesn’t; OR

2. CBJ was interested in KK, we refused, and KK then fails to become an impact C;

THEN we will live to rue the day.

If Dubious never becomes more than a 70-point C capable of dominating for some stretches, then we won’t rue anything, assuming that either Slick Nick or KK fulfill their potential.

I can’t see him being a top 5 centre.  If he does, yeah, we missed out.  But does anyone think that PLD is going to be better than the following:

1. McDavid 

2. MacKinnon 

3. Mathews

4. Draisaitl 

5. Eichal

6. Scheifele

7. Barkov

8. Point

9. Aho

10. Pettersson 

and this list is only the young players and doesn’t even include the older centre that would be in the top 10.

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Domi gets a great winger. Not sure Laine and Torts will get along. 

Im happy that we didn’t pay the price 

I think Torts is close to his shelf life anyways. I just can’t see Laine wanting to live in Ohio!

Wow. So the Jackets do still manage to get Laine AND Roslovic without having to add major value to PLD. But will they just be in the same situation with Laine after this season?

Have never understood all the hate towards living in Columbus.

43 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I can’t see him being a top 5 centre.  If he does, yeah, we missed out.  But does anyone think that PLD is going to be better than the following:

1. McDavid 

2. MacKinnon 

3. Mathews

4. Draisaitl 

5. Eichal

6. Scheifele

7. Barkov

8. Point

9. Aho

10. Pettersson 

and this list is only the young players and doesn’t even include the older centre that would be in the top 10.

Not the top 5 ... maybe 6 ... has a shot at the rest ***IF*** he does all the work needed.

1 hour ago, TheDriveFor25 said:

Yikes! That’s a big price to pay for PLD.

Now that he’s been traded, who’s the next name moving that we can post about? If Buffalo falls out of it maybe Taylor Hall again?

Patrik Laine once he plays a dozen games for Torts ... the first few will likely be fine ...but, from what I've read Laine is not a prototypical Torts player

On 1/21/2021 at 10:38 PM, Helmethead said:

With Dubois getting a whopping 3:55 of ice time and benched after the 1st you can safely assume the rumor mill to run rampant tomorrow. 

Unless they can Torts.  Which they probably should do. 

I hate how Torts treats players, but Dubois was simply giving no effort.  Google his last shift as a blue jacket and watch it... laziest i've ever seen an NHL player play, ever.

I dont think either team solved their problems today.

PLD wants a bigger stage.  Hes not gonna be happy in Winnipeg.

Laine wants to play with good centres.  Columbus has Domi now as their number 1 C and no one close to Danault to help him.  They really have no #2 C on that roster.  So Laine is gonna play with Domi, not exactly what he wanted.  He's also not gonna be happy with Torts coaching and his lack of defensive game.  I see them clashing.

So they what, are both asking for trades again in less than a year?

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Laine wants to play with good centres.  Columbus has Domi now as their number 1 C and no one close to Danault to help him.  They really have no #2 C on that roster.  So Laine is gonna play with Domi, not exactly what he wanted.  He's also not gonna be happy with Torts coaching and his lack of defensive game.  I see them clashing.

I really agree with this as both players probably not overly happy with their new team and situation.  Kind of a short term fix for both.  However, Columbus gets short term help which they want and can easily trade Laine in the next few years if he still isn't happy.

If Dubois really wants to come to Montreal he can in less than 4 years i believe.

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

That’s why I don’t get the deal - unless they think Laine can bring a better return than PLD, when they eventually have to trade Laine, or that trading Laine won’t be as urgent as trading Laine. 

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I hate how Torts treats players, but Dubois was simply giving no effort.  Google his last shift as a blue jacket and watch it... laziest i've ever seen an NHL player play, ever.

Question is, would PLD have had that same screw your attitude that forced their hand, if it wasn’t for the comments Torts made before the season started?  Personally PLD’s performance made me even more resolute in my opinion that the habs shouldn’t trade KK (let alone Suzuki).  But o wouldn’t want anything to do with a dick like torts either. I think most sensible GM’s would have fired their coach for screwing them over and Columbus may still do that.  It would just be bad optics yo fire a coach because a player isn’t happy with him.  Having said that IF a coaching change would have helped in getting PLD signed long term, torts should have been fired in the off season.

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Wow. So the Jackets do still manage to get Laine AND Roslovic without having to add major value to PLD. But will they just be in the same situation with Laine after this season?

Have never understood all the hate towards living in Columbus.

If your a pro athlete make good money and have the ability to have live where you want, would Columbus, be in the among the top 25 cities you’d want to spend a chunk of your life in?? I know I sure the hell wouldn’t want to live there. I’d want nothing to do with Raleigh, Columbus, Edmonton, Winnipeg, or Ottawa.  Nothing to do with management of hockey teams, just not placed I’d want to live. I’d say the same for Nashville, given that I can’t stand country music.  And this is just considering the city - nothing that to do with the quality of the team or the hockey operations departments.  

On the flip side, if Phoenix wasn’t such a shit show of hockey team and had constant instability l, it’s a city/region I’d love to live in.

44 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Dubois can be UFA in 3 years.   Laine in 2.  (both include this year).

This is the key if neither player got what they wanted in this trade.  Without the team control of RFA, they both may be available for nothing but cap space.  If the habs really want PLD and PLD wants the habs, it's 3 years away and both can plan for it. 

Just now, Neech said:

I'm surprised CBJ was able to get two good players, as well as the best player in the deal, when it seems like their back was against the wall.

Winnipeg also had their back against the wall - with both players they moved.