Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Conor McKenna on Twitter: "Elliotte Friedman says there are teams circling around monitoring the Victor Mete situation in Montreal." / Twitter

If I were MB I'd listen but would only want to move Mete if it was with another roster player for a cap-equivalent upgrade (or an equivalent with a lower cap hit) for the other player ... no hurry ... Mete is very a nice 7D

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s another case of having great depth. Why trade him? One injury on the blue line and he slots right in.

Totally agree, the don't need another 3rd round draft pick and they don't need any more depth at forward. Depth at defence is a good thing. They play a lot of games in a short period of time. 

22 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It’s another case of having great depth. Why trade him? One injury on the blue line and he slots right in.

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Totally agree, the don't need another 3rd round draft pick and they don't need any more depth at forward. Depth at defence is a good thing. They play a lot of games in a short period of time. 

Which is why I put pretty specific restrictions on when I would deal him ... no 3rd round pick ... only to upgrade on an existing forward or maintain the forwards structure with a worthwhile cap-hit savings

4 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

If your a pro athlete make good money and have the ability to have live where you want, would Columbus, be in the among the top 25 cities you’d want to spend a chunk of your life in?? I know I sure the hell wouldn’t want to live there. I’d want nothing to do with Raleigh, Columbus, Edmonton, Winnipeg, or Ottawa.  Nothing to do with management of hockey teams, just not placed I’d want to live. I’d say the same for Nashville, given that I can’t stand country music.  And this is just considering the city - nothing that to do with the quality of the team or the hockey operations departments.  

On the flip side, if Phoenix wasn’t such a shit show of hockey team and had constant instability l, it’s a city/region I’d love to live in.

Absolutely! I don't want any part of living it a city with a population over 1 million or a metropolitan area population over 2.5 million. So Pittsburgh is about the biggest city I would want to live in.  Then lets talk weather. I'd rule out anywhere that has an average summer temperate of over around 85 or a winter average under 20.  I want someplace that has all four seasons, but is still fairly temperate. Phoenix? My gosh. How could you possibly want to live where the average temperature is over 100 and doesn't even drop below 80 at night? Dry heat is still crazy heat!

Plus, an NHL salary gets you a lot nicer place to live in a moderately sized city. You can live like an NBA player on an NHL salary!

1 hour ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Absolutely! I don't want any part of living it a city with a population over 1 million or a metropolitan area population over 2.5 million. So Pittsburgh is about the biggest city I would want to live in.  Then lets talk weather. I'd rule out anywhere that has an average summer temperate of over around 85 or a winter average under 20.  I want someplace that has all four seasons, but is still fairly temperate. Phoenix? My gosh. How could you possibly want to live where the average temperature is over 100 and doesn't even drop below 80 at night? Dry heat is still crazy heat!

Plus, an NHL salary gets you a lot nicer place to live in a moderately sized city. You can live like an NBA player on an NHL salary!

I’m into photography and that northern Arizona/southern Utah region is my favourite region in North America.  And I’ll take the heat to the deep freeze in Winnipeg or Edmonton any day.

37 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I’m into photography and that northern Arizona/southern Utah region is my favourite region in North America.  And I’ll take the heat to the deep freeze in Winnipeg or Edmonton any day.

I totally agree about Utah, started going there every October 7 years ago to play in a slo-pitch tournament and fell in love with the state. So many beautiful parks. been through a lot of the US and Utah is definitely my favourite place. 

I do not believe for one minute that the City of Columbus is the main reason the Blue Jackets bleed talent. I have a friend who lives there, she loves it, and a lot of people who have spent time there have only good things to say.

More to the point, there are a number of middling “blah” markets in the NHL. There is nothing especially great about St. Paul, but we don’t hear players from the Wild always barking to escape. Calgary is not exactly NYC, but there is no tradition of exodus. Even l’il old Edmonton has been able to lock up McDavid and Dreiseitl.

So I’m not buying it. That aforementioned friend has a contact in the Jackets organization - admittedly a low-level guy, I forget his title - but he told her that there is a toxic culture there which starts with ownership. While this is second-hand “information” from a peon, some such explanation to me is a more reasonable one. If it’s an environment where people don’t feel valued, then no wonder everyone wants out all the time.

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I totally agree about Utah, started going there every October 7 years ago to play in a slo-pitch tournament and fell in love with the state. So many beautiful parks. been through a lot of the US and Utah is definitely my favourite place. 

I went in 2001 and 2004 and then every year from 2007-2011, as part of annual photography road trip though Yellowstone, the Tetons, arches, canyonlands, arches, Zion national parks, monument valley slot canyons and Sedona . That southern Utah, northern Arizona region is a hiker and photographers dream region.  

only made 4 trips in last 10 years a d was planning one for last fall, before Covid hit.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I went in 2001 and 2004 and then every year from 2007-2011, as part of annual photography road trip though Yellowstone, the Tetons, arches, canyonlands, arches, Zion national parks, monument valley slot canyons and Sedona . That southern Utah, northern Arizona region is a hiker and photographers dream region.  

only made 4 trips in last 10 years a d was planning one for last fall, before Covid hit.

I hiked in Zion 2 years ago, stunning, did Bryce Canyon before that, incredible, a lot more I have  to see. The Huntsman Games should be back on this October so will be out there again in October. It is a dream region for hiking and photography. I had no idea it was so beautiful down there. I need to get out more.  I am getting a little off topic. My apologies. 

24 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I hiked in Zion 2 years ago, stunning, did Bryce Canyon before that, incredible, a lot more I have  to see. The Huntsman Games should be back on this October so will be out there again in October. It is a dream region for hiking and photography. I had no idea it was so beautiful down there. I need to get out more.  I am getting a little off topic. My apologies. 

Actually, my fault for the tangent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I do not believe for one minute that the City of Columbus is the main reason the Blue Jackets bleed talent. I have a friend who lives there, she loves it, and a lot of people who have spent time there have only good things to say.

More to the point, there are a number of middling “blah” markets in the NHL. There is nothing especially great about St. Paul, but we don’t hear players from the Wild always barking to escape. Calgary is not exactly NYC, but there is no tradition of exodus. Even l’il old Edmonton has been able to lock up McDavid and Dreiseitl.

So I’m not buying it. That aforementioned friend has a contact in the Jackets organization - admittedly a low-level guy, I forget his title - but he told her that there is a toxic culture there which starts with ownership. While this is second-hand “information” from a peon, some such explanation to me is a more reasonable one. If it’s an environment where people don’t feel valued, then no wonder everyone wants out all the time.

I think ownership, for sure is part of it.  Although, Davidson was supposedly the ideal team president- even though he had some pretty harsh comments about RFA rights and contract negotiations, that would probably rub players the wrong way.  I just see Columbus as a town that too many young players would be attracted to. I think as players get closer to the end of their careers, they may appreciate it more, but for me personally, that part of the USA puke gold zero appeal to me, ditto, with Saskatchewan, Manitoba and the Maratimes in Canada.  

I think Minnesota is a different case.  Again, I would have zero interest in going there, but a lot of USA players are from there, so they’ve been successful in signing guys like Suter and Parise who wanted to go home.  It’s also probably in the top two hockey hotbed markers along with Boston.

I think McDavid signing the long-term contract probably had more to do with security, and uncertainty over the next CBA. He gave up 3 UFA years to become the highest paid player in the league and his contract was before the Marner huge deal that takes him into free agency sooner.  Wit Draisaitl also signed a much better contract than MacKinnon and Tavares did, so I think it was more about the amount of money being offered than the city itself.  On the flip side, Edmonton is not really a big UFA destination unless they really overpay for one hit wonders (Souray), or guys clearly entering the downside (Lucic).

Calgary has not really been a UFA target city either.  They finally got a goalie this year, but it was a depressed market, and it’s not like markstrom took a big discount in selecting Calgary.

The main reason why many players want out of Columbus is quite simple. Torts!!! Remove Torts, and you keep your star players!

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Doug MacLean and Scott Howson were TERRIBLE GMs.... since they left, Torts has been coach. 

All three would lead to bleeding talent. 

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think ownership, for sure is part of it.  Although, Davidson was supposedly the ideal team president- even though he had some pretty harsh comments about RFA rights and contract negotiations, that would probably rub players the wrong way.  I just see Columbus as a town that too many young players would be attracted to. I think as players get closer to the end of their careers, they may appreciate it more, but for me personally, that part of the USA puke gold zero appeal to me, ditto, with Saskatchewan, Manitoba and the Maratimes in Canada.  

I think Minnesota is a different case.  Again, I would have zero interest in going there, but a lot of USA players are from there, so they’ve been successful in signing guys like Suter and Parise who wanted to go home.  It’s also probably in the top two hockey hotbed markers along with Boston.

I think McDavid signing the long-term contract probably had more to do with security, and uncertainty over the next CBA. He gave up 3 UFA years to become the highest paid player in the league and his contract was before the Marner huge deal that takes him into free agency sooner.  Wit Draisaitl also signed a much better contract than MacKinnon and Tavares did, so I think it was more about the amount of money being offered than the city itself.  On the flip side, Edmonton is not really a big UFA destination unless they really overpay for one hit wonders (Souray), or guys clearly entering the downside (Lucic).

Calgary has not really been a UFA target city either.  They finally got a goalie this year, but it was a depressed market, and it’s not like markstrom took a big discount in selecting Calgary.

You sound like a complete douche.

13 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

This is not the venue for these sort of personal attacks. Bad form bud. Argue the content. Avoid name calling.

Well said.

I don’t even know what was so terrible in the content of Habs29’s post. He is offering his views on how certain cities are perceived by both himself and by 25-year-old millionaires. If some of those views are negative, well, I don’t know why we have to make believe that every city in the NHL is golly-gee-whiz just AWESOME. NYC is a much cooler, more exciting place than Calgary. Get over it.

On 1/24/2021 at 10:43 AM, hab29RETIRED said:

From a players standpoint I believe McDavid signed the big contract for money and not security.  If he signed a bridge deal he wouldn’t of got this kind of money for a short 2-3 year deal.  At the same time he will be in his prime for his next deal, barring something catastrophic happening, he will sign another max year deal for even more money than now.  For a player his caliber this was smarter financially.

As for Canadian markets being attractive for UFAs, other than Toronto and maybe Vancouver, none of the markets are particularly attractive to UFAs.  Between the weather, taxes and travel there’s very little to offer for players to want to sign in Canada.  

7 minutes ago, TurdBurglar said:

From a players standpoint I believe McDavid signed the big contract for money and not security.  If he signed a bridge deal he wouldn’t of got this kind of money for a short 2-3 year deal.  At the same time he will be in his prime for his next deal, barring something catastrophic happening, he will sign another max year deal for even more money than now.  For a player his caliber this was smarter financially.

As for Canadian markets being attractive for UFAs, other than Toronto and maybe Vancouver, none of the markets are particularly attractive to UFAs.  Between the weather, taxes and travel there’s very little to offer for players to want to sign in Canada.  

There's a difference between "not being particularly attractive to UFAs" and having a clear pattern of your own players wanting out of the organization and city. Columbus has not been able to hold onto its own talent - which is not a problem that other "middling" markets have experienced to the same degree. So something distinctive is going on there.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

There's a difference between "not being particularly attractive to UFAs" and having a clear pattern of your own players wanting out of the organization and city. Columbus has not been able to hold onto its own talent - which is not a problem that other "middling" markets have experienced to the same degree. So something distinctive is going on there.

Absolutely agree with you there. 

55 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree too, a lot of it has to do with the organization. In everyday life one of the main reasons people leave their job is because of their boss and whether they feel the organization is a good fit. I don't think the city itself plays a big part in players decisions although it likely  does with some players.  

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Well said.

I don’t even know what was so terrible in the content of Habs29’s post. He is offering his views on how certain cities are perceived by both himself and by 25-year-old millionaires. If some of those views are negative, well, I don’t know why we have to make believe that every city in the NHL is golly-gee-whiz just AWESOME. NYC is a much cooler, more exciting place than Calgary. Get over it.

Disagree. NYC is right up there with LA as the last places I would want to live. Cool to visit, horrible to live.

6 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

Disagree. NYC is right up there with LA as the last places I would want to live. Cool to visit, horrible to live.

To each their own, but numerous UFA NHL players have clearly shown they want to live in these cities. 

Others won't. 

5 minutes ago, Fanpuck33 said:

I think players look for different things when it comes to the city they want to live in. Cities like NYC and LA might seem exciting to some but not so exciting to others. For a kid that grew up in a small town on the prairies, Edmonton might seem like a cool place. For a kid that grows up in the US, Edmonton might be perceived as a cold wasteland. Most players make enough money that they can live in a good part of whatever city they live in which makes it easier. A guy who is married with kids might also look at it differently.