Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

5 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Ekholm can be done it just depends if we are willing to pay the price. 

can we not leave Byron on taxi and save his cap hit? Perhaps Mete as part of the deal?

As for prospects, is Guhle plus picks enough?

The Habs only get $1.075M in cap relief with Byron on the taxi squad, not the full $3.4M.  A deal centred around Guhle would probably be enough to get a discussion going but it would depend on what the pluses would be.

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

can we not leave Byron on taxi and save his cap hit? Perhaps Mete as part of the deal?

If I’m Nashville, I insist on Caulfield, who seems to be basically the only blue-chip prospect in our system right now. 

13 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

If Habs only trade for Ekholm and include Chiarot then no other contract need move out for cap purposes ... leaving Byron on the taxi squad saves $1.075 ($2.35 still on cap), so not enough to offset Ekholm, but it it could create some cap space for other moves.

TALK is that Preds want a first (I would gladly give up the Habs 2021 1st) and two legit prospects ... I am certain Guhle would be VERY interesting to Nashville, but I would hope MB might be able to shift them to Struble or Norlinder (ideally not Harris either), plus, plus

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

If I’m Nashville, I insist on Caulfield, who seems to be basically the only blue-chip prospect in our system right now. 

If that's their demand for every team then they won't have any trading partners. They appropriately gauged the market by leaking to the reporters they want The Muzzin Deal: first round pick, 2 decent prospects. No bluechippers present, just magic beans and prospects outside (most) teams' top 5 in the prospect pool.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I would too if I were them ... and while I would trade ANYONE in the right deal , I wouldn't deal CC for a top 4 D with only one more year on his deal ... 

53 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Given the weak trade market (many teams cant add salary) and the required 14 day quarantine... no chance im giving up caufield.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

The Habs only get $1.075M in cap relief with Byron on the taxi squad, not the full $3.4M.  A deal centred around Guhle would probably be enough to get a discussion going but it would depend on what the pluses would be.

I forgot that taxi had the same rules as minors. 

Chairot I would prefer to keep if we could because he would be perfect for Romanov

If the Muzzin comparison is apt then Surely a Guhle and similar plus first would get it done. 

The question is how much do we need to pay to dump salary and who that is. 
We could live without Mete and Lehkonen maybe there are legit takers. 

I agree that after Caufield’s ridiculous performance we can’t give him up. No idea if he can do it at NHL level but we’d be fools not to find out

Bergevin should do this if at all possible. We are close to going over the top

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think a first is a given in terms of the puck, not sure what prospects Nashville would want. Mete may interest them, from a cap and years of controls perspective,  but I’m pretty sure they would want to get some offensive forwards - they’ve done a damn good job of drafting and developing dmen.

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That’s the one guy I would not move.  You need someone better than Ekholm and more years of control to conisider moving Caufield.

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yeah, in what sense are we “poised” to make a big deal? I’m not seeing it. Maybe if we had cap room...

Maybe this means that Friedman is hearing that Caulfield is in play. But even if he is (God forbid), we can’t take back a roster player under the cap, so there’d have to be a contract going back the other way.

I’m a skeptic.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/video/maple-leafs-look-acquire-defenceman-ahead-trade-deadline/

1:50 mark of the video is about the Habs. How are they "poised?" A bit unclear in the segment, but the insinuation appears to be that the Habs have the assets at all levels to make it happen. Bergevin can outbid the other Canadian team GMs in a trade offer if you combine: playoff aspirations, quality of NHL players, draft capital, and strength of prospect pool. Add in a dash of "GM unafraid of big moves" spiced with a pinch of "GM who doesn't want to lose his job," and there you have Friedman's reasoning. 

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Assuming the habs don't want to use LTIR with Chiarot, Ben's trade wouldn't subtract from the immediate lineup ... Lehkonen& Byron (even Armia possibly), that **could** also be moved to balance cap hits ...

Are you suggesting one of the above three? Or all three? Because if we move more than one forward, we'll need to (1) have a suitable replacement and (2) use cap space to pay that forward. I don't think Frolik would be a one-for-one replacement for any of the three -- otherwise he would have been playing already.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Are you suggesting one of the above three? Or all three? Because if we move more than one forward, we'll need to (1) have a suitable replacement and (2) use cap space to pay that forward. I don't think Frolik would be a one-for-one replacement for any of the three -- otherwise he would have been playing already.

I was suggesting one ...although,  from a Habs perspective, it would IMO be less of an issue moving both of Lehkonen and Byron ... there may not be an equivalent replacement in Laval but if the trade is important enough then playing an AHLer on the 4th line might be a worthwhile risk ... or a legit 4th liner could come back

I don't see the same applying with Armia as he plays a more significant role than the other two, which is why I described it as:   (even Armia possibly)  ...  the trade would have to be a significant upgrade to tempt me to move Armia, and it would be by himself in terms of with other forwards ... but, I could see Mete or Chiarot going somewhere with Joel in a deal.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I think the price for Ekholm is too high

They want the same price that the Kings got for Muzzin.  It's the same situation, only with a slightly better player on a cheaper contract.  Their asking price (1st, good prospect, and another interesting piece) seems more than justifiable.

13 hours ago, dlbalr said:

They want the same price that the Kings got for Muzzin.  It's the same situation, only with a slightly better player on a cheaper contract.  Their asking price (1st, good prospect, and another interesting piece) seems more than justifiable.

What would be the ‘good prospect’ the Habs could plausibly throw in (besides Caulfield)? I’d be happy to give them the 1st and an ‘interesting piece,’ assuming it’s not *too* interesting.

On 3/26/2021 at 3:04 PM, Trizzak said:

With more to come:

The "more to come" looks like it will involve Lehkonen. In his 31 Thoughts blog, Elliotte Friedman says he thinks Lehk is primed to be dealt, but Bergevin needs to wait for an "all-clear" to their Covid situation. 

A deal as soon as tonight, then?

3 hours ago, Trizzak said:

The "more to come" looks like it will involve Lehkonen. In his 31 Thoughts blog, Elliotte Friedman says he thinks Lehk is primed to be dealt, but Bergevin needs to wait for an "all-clear" to their Covid situation. 

A deal as soon as tonight, then?

A lot will also depend on Toffoli's situation.  He's not skating tonight so Lehkonen may be needed a bit longer.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

A lot will also depend on Toffoli's situation.  He's not skating tonight so Lehkonen may be needed a bit longer.

Lehkonen, Armia, Tatar, whoever ... we need a decent forward for now. It appears somebody will be gone, which one it will be will depend on the deal and what the other team is looking for. I expect that Bergevin would be willing to deal any one of the above three, provided that he's getting what he's looking for in return.

I would expect Bergevin to wait until closer to the trade deadline to make a move. I would be uneasy trading Lekhonen, but ok seeing Byron or Armia go. The team’s recent play has to have MB thinking about retaining Tatar and Danault so the money has to come from somewhere.