Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Do some posters here have an allergy to offense? Tanguay has been a PPG player, and probably would still be one this season if Keenan weren't coaching the Flames. I'll take that on Koivu's wing any time.

Do some posters here have an allergy to offense? Tanguay has been a PPG player, and probably would still be one this season if Keenan weren't coaching the Flames. I'll take that on Koivu's wing any time.

I'm afraid I'm with you on this on Trizz.

Tanguay cannot hurt this team at all (maybe in cap space) he would balance out some true scoring voids and allow younger guys to develop with actual forwards instead of Dandy and Striet. If you can do all this for Ryder ad maybe a mid level prospect or pick ...then why the hell are we still waiting?

(I'm sure Ryder would love to play with his brother some day anyway)

I agree that Tanguay is a no-brainer. A point-per-game guy...on a team that has none of those. A natural centreman...on an organization that desperately needs an elite-level centreman option going forward as Koivu declines. An effective winger...on a team that needs a good offensive winger. A relatively young veteran...on a team that could use a veteran. A French Canadian...on the Montreal Canadiens.

I don't buy this 'cancer' stuff. Remember Mike Comrie? Universally agreed to be a 'cancer?' He only served effectively as Ottawa's second-line C last season and the Islanders' main man this season. Remember Ribeiro? Cancer, cancer, cancer! Except that he's now dominating Dallas' offence. I love the way fans propound upon a player's personality based on sixth-hand rumours.

Overpaid? Probably, but we have the cap room, and all these UFA fantasies are about as likely as Guy Lafleur strapping 'em back on and leading us to four straight Cups. Take the bird in the hand.

The REAL problem with this rumour is that if other teams are interested, then we're going to have to give up more than a desperately struggling Michael Ryder - UNLESS the cap calculations work in Ryder's favour over all other options, and/or Keenan has one of his patented bees in his bonnet about Ryder (maybe he sees someting he likes. What the hell, this is a man who thought Bertuzzi was worth Luongo).

Do the Habs really want Tanguay and his 5.250 cap hit next year?

What does he offer that truly helps this team?

Why are you saving GG's money for?!

This season, 5.75M = Ryder + Smolinski + Briser

Here is my assumption:

Ryder, Briser and Smokes are gone this summer

Tell me what else could Gainey do with 5.75M in 2008-2009?

I would rather have Tanguay than those 3.

And no, Gainey won't be able to pry a better FA with 5.75M... and surely not a better forward (unless SJ decides to give us Marleau... even then, it's arguable... Tanguay has always put up more pts than Marleau)

I agree that Tanguay is a no-brainer. A point-per-game guy...on a team that has none of those. A natural centreman...on an organization that desperately needs an elite-level centreman option going forward as Koivu declines. An effective winger...on a team that needs a good offensive winger. A relatively young veteran...on a team that could use a veteran. A French Canadian...on the Montreal Canadiens.

I don't buy this 'cancer' stuff. Remember Mike Comrie? Universally agreed to be a 'cancer?' He only served effectively as Ottawa's second-line C last season and the Islanders' main man this season. Remember Ribeiro? Cancer, cancer, cancer! Except that he's now dominating Dallas' offence. I love the way fans propound upon a player's personality based on sixth-hand rumours.

Overpaid? Probably, but we have the cap room, and all these UFA fantasies are about as likely as Guy Lafleur strapping 'em back on and leading us to four straight Cups. Take the bird in the hand.

The REAL problem with this rumour is that if other teams are interested, then we're going to have to give up more than a desperately struggling Michael Ryder - UNLESS the cap calculations work in Ryder's favour over all other options, and/or Keenan has one of his patented bees in his bonnet about Ryder (maybe he sees someting he likes. What the hell, this is a man who thought Bertuzzi was worth Luongo).

I don't agree with that per se, because those guys did in fact have well documented attitude problems. The difference is that in the last few seasons they grew up and matured. The Ribiero case was exactly that and he may have never matured enough as a person in Montreal to get where he is today (I'm sure being a father helped though) On the Tanguay side, there is no proof of him ever having issues in the dressing room or off the ice (maybe Keenan now , but his own mother hates him :) )

The bottom line here is that IF Tanguay can be pried away from Calgary for a reasonable return....it should be done.

Edited by Habitforming

Ive gotten too excited over rumours like these before.... so im going to take the wait and see approach. However.. I would LOVE to see a player of Tanguays ability on the Habs lineup!

:hlogo:

I never heard anyone in the hockey world wever say that Tanguay had an attitude problem. I don't know where this fellow poster came up with this crazy story.

AS far as those who think that Tanguay is over paid...take a look at his career numbers. He makes 500,000$ more than Koivu, and has put up way better numbers than our Captain. he has 4 season's with at least 77 points, which is better than Koivu has ever done in his career.

Let's not forget that with Ryder gone(3 million$) and next year with Smolinski gone(2 million) you have just created wnough room for Tnaguay's 5.25 million$ salary. Problem solved.

In any case....I'm not sure we'll see this deal happen?

Colorado fans didn't like that he used to be a very tough player to sign, the same reason why we'd think Ryder has an attitude problem.

You'd put a 1st line talent on the 3rd line?

As opposed to calling our most productive line the "third" line? Or using Koivu on the third? Tanguay is a better player than Koivu, but I don't know if Cabro would want to take the captain out of the top 6. If we are going to use Tanguay at centre, it seems like he would go on the 3rd, an offensive third line though.

Where did you hear Tanguay is a locker room cancer? I'd love to get him for Ryder. And like BTH says I'd put him at centre too. I'd make one switch to the lines BTH suggested though - I'd put Koivu between Latendresse and Lapierre instead. Tanguay is too much of a point producer to put him on a "3rd" line.

Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev

Higgins-Tanguay-Kostitsyn

Latendresse-Koivu-Lapierre

Begin-Smolinski-Dandenault

I'd love to see THAT.

I'm perfectly fine with that too, I just don't think Carbo would demote Koivu for the new guy.

One poster even further clarifies that Tanguay has waived his NTC, not only agreed to... so that it's not only in talks but it's being agreeing on as we speak?! I guess :blink:

He has waived his NTC. It's basically fact that he's going to be traded, it's just not a guarantee that it'll be to Montreal.

pros:

-real offensive upsides, could draw attention from poosing teams and give eevn more space to kovalev.

-natural centre that could replace koivu when he's moved next year.

-youth

-stanley cup experience

-stanley cup clutch performer...3goals in game 7 ??!! cant be more clutch without being named markmessier.

-he's french...could take pressure off guillaume

-learned to play the game with sakic, forsberg, blake, bourque, roy...

-never heard anything bad about his attitude.

cons:

-salary...at least 1M overpaid

- not big, not gritty, not mean.

-he's french: that means the english media will be pissed at the club for bringing another frenchman and the french media will kill him as soon as he gets in a 2-3 games scoring slump.

I'm sorry, but that comment about the english media is way off base. They have no problem whatsoever with francophone players. What they don't want is a team called Les Francophones de Montreal. Everybody that has a clue would love to have a Simon Gagne or Vincent Lecavalier. What the english media questions is the french medias insistence on filling the roster with every scrub that has QC on their birth certificate. If anything, I think the media, and me, for that matter, would love to see Tanguay join the team. If only to shut the french media up for maybe a week.

No way do we trade Chips.

For Tanguay, it's a real dilemma. Ryder has very little value, so we'd have to throw a prospect in. Can we sacrifice a guy like Chipchura? We've got plenty of prospects at C in the system.

BTW, Darryl Sutter (Flames' GM) is in Montreal tonight...

For Tanguay, it's a real dilemma. Ryder has very little value, so we'd have to throw a prospect in. Can we sacrifice a guy like Chipchura? We've got plenty of prospects at C in the system.

BTW, Darryl Sutter (Flames' GM) is in Montreal tonight...

I don't think so. To me, Chips is untouchable. I can see how CAL would want a prospect to go with Ryder, but pick someone else. I wouldn't even trade Chips straight up for Tanguay.

I don't think so. To me, Chips is untouchable. I can see how CAL would want a prospect to go with Ryder, but pick someone else. I wouldn't even trade Chips straight up for Tanguay.

Untouchable, Chips?

He's a future checking center. As long as Koivu and Plex are in Montreal, the higher Chips can go is 3rd line; and that's if he leaps over Lapierre which isn't a given.

You wouldn't sacrifice that for a 1st line LW?

Untouchable, Chips?

He's a future checking centre. As long as Koivu and Plex are in Montreal, the higher Chips can go is 3rd line; and that's if he leaps over Lapierre which isn't a given.

I wouldn't. I know what you're getting at, and in most cases trading a a 3rd line C for a 1st line LW/C is a no-brainer. But I think Chips is more than that, and it's possible that Tanguay is on the decline. It's just a gut feeling for me that makes me think it would be a bad trade. I could be wrong, but that's how I feel.

I wouldn't. I know what you're getting at, and in most cases trading a a 3rd line C for a 1st line LW/C is a no-brainer. But I think Chips is more than that, and it's possible that Tanguay is on the decline. It's just a gut feeling for me that makes me think it would be a bad trade. I could be wrong, but that's how I feel.

Well Tangs is just 28, drafted the same year as Lecavalier, Gagné, Ryder, Markov, etc. I doubt he's on the decline. He just doesnt fit in Calgary.

And he can play any position, so he might be moved to the RW if necessary.

Either way, I'd be happy with trading for Tangs or keeping Chips... I dont really have any preference in this.

Well Tangs is just 28, drafted the same year as Lecavalier, Gagné, Ryder, Markov, etc. I doubt he's on the decline. He just doesnt fit in Calgary.

And he can play any position, so he might be moved to the RW if necessary.

Either way, I'd be happy with trading for Tangs or keeping Chips... I dont really have any preference in this.

I wouldn't trade Chipchura either. I am sure if that was the deal and Gainey wanted to it would already be done.

But that could just be a case of me falling in love with a prospect.

I wouldn't trade Chipchura either. I am sure if that was the deal and Gainey wanted to it would already be done.

But that could just be a case of me falling in love with a prospect.

I wouldn't want to give up Chipchura. He just seems like a guy that 15 years down the line he'll have been to a few Cup finals and be captain of a contending team and the announcers will make a remark of that clairvoyant deal that got him from Montreal. But that's probably a lot of prospect love and wishful thinking on my part.

I wrote this in the game thread, I guess it's better to discuss it here:

In the intermission they brought up a Koivu for Tanguay trade. Now I don't see why we should do this as the team is winning, and I don't see why Calgary would really want this because it doesn't solve their cap problem for next year, but purely on paper this would improve our team.

Untouchable, Chips?

He's a future checking center. As long as Koivu and Plex are in Montreal, the higher Chips can go is 3rd line; and that's if he leaps over Lapierre which isn't a given.

Exactly my thoughts. It's mere specualation, but Lapierre's play might have made them confident that they can trade Chip. Although Chip might one day be superior to Lapierre, it won't be enough to make up for the difference a guy like Tanguay can bring on the offensive side.

And BTW as for the Lapierre and Chip thing, Lapierre is twice the skater Chip is... Chip was my favorite hands down before the start of the season, but Lapierre has mixed the cards.

Exactly my thoughts. It's mere specualation, but Lapierre's play might have made them confident that they can trade Chip. Although Chip might one day be superior to Lapierre, it won't be enough to make up for the difference a guy like Tanguay can bring on the offensive side.

And BTW as for the Lapierre and Chip thing, Lapierre is twice the skater Chip is... Chip was my favourite hands down before the start of the season, but Lapierre has mixed the cards.

Chips is to me a better player

he seems to have some instincts that Laps does not

by the way how's it going Alex long time no talk

Chips is to me a better player

he seems to have some instincts that Laps does not

by the way how's it going Alex long time no talk

Hey Larek man! Been a while... I haven't logged on at habfans in more than a year I believe (do you still log on there at times? are the same old guys still there? cournoyer, the annoying bruins fan, KR, etc). I had to cut down on the message board thing and for a while wasn't active at all here aside from a fantasy league. I'm a bit more active lately because of the deadline approaching.

How are you doing?

I agree about the instinct. Chip also has more "pure skills" which translate into an offensive touch... Chip was able to produce twice as much as Lapierre with half the opportunities.

Still on the "checking role", if trading one means getting Tanguay... I'd be ready to do that.

Hey Larek man! Been a while... I haven't logged on at habfans in more than a year I believe (do you still log on there at times? are the same old guys still there? cournoyer, the annoying bruins fan, KR, etc). I had to cut down on the message board thing and for a while wasn't active at all here aside from a fantasy league. I'm a bit more active lately because of the deadline approaching.

How are you doing?

I agree about the instinct. Chip also has more "pure skills" which translate into an offensive touch... Chip was able to produce twice as much as Lapierre with half the opportunities.

Still on the "checking role", if trading one means getting Tanguay... I'd be ready to do that.

Yep still there some not a much though-- and yes KR Courney emb still around - Gap the Bruin fan is banned for i beleive life

And im doing fine

Im not as gung ho getting Tanguay-

i read where supposdly jolkinen has asked for a trade- now that would be interesting

Edited by larek