Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Im sure they will in september. But why not now as well? Look at the russians and the finnish and the canadian teams. They play for their national teams because they know its an honor to wear their nations colours. But not the swedes.

I'm sure plenty of people declined invites for Canada, they do every other year. There's a bit of a carrot to dangle this time with the World Cup (which isn't a 'real' tournament either, let's call it what it is, an NHL/NHLPA money grab) which gave Canada some better forwards. They still couldn't get a goalie or much in the way of defence though. Russia seems to do well getting their players year after year but I'd suggest they're the only ones who really can consistently get their top players to commit.

Stubbs tweeted, that Pacioretty said the teammate he has been in touch with most since seasons end is a certain d-man, who he supposedly dosent get along with.

Stubbs tweeted, that Pacioretty said the teammate he has been in touch with most since seasons end is a certain d-man, who he supposedly dosent get along with.

Montreal Media Translation: P.K. and Max have been arguing via telephone all off-season.

Ugh that guy.

Ain't nothing like being in an abusive relationship and being blamed for it. Can't tell you how many guys have told me he should have been a man and decked her. I'm sure that would have shown character.

Was Galchenyuk inconsistent at times on the ice? Yes. Was he also the best option for the second centre position since 14-15? Yessir. You let a player of his skill to work through it.

If Therrien was our coach instead of Martin, would Pacioretty gone back to the third line after his AHL stint?

MaxPac on this very subject: https://twitter.com/Dave_Stubbs/status/731222421596975104

I'm not sure I agree with this "there's no market like Montreal" stuff. I think that can translate very subtly into an excuse for losing or for being less than fully successful - as in, "well, we didn't get the result we wanted, but we did pretty well considering that no other franchise faces the hurdles we do."

On the other hand, it's clear that Max is 100% supportive of the approach they took to #27.

MaxPac on this very subject: https://twitter.com/Dave_Stubbs/status/731222421596975104

I'm not sure I agree with this "there's no market like Montreal" stuff. I think that can translate very subtly into an excuse for losing or for being less than fully successful - as in, "well, we didn't get the result we wanted, but we did pretty well considering that no other franchise faces the hurdles we do."

On the other hand, it's clear that Max is 100% supportive of the approach they took to #27.

But, Pacioretty wouldn't be openly critical of Mgmt even if had some doubts.

But, Pacioretty wouldn't be openly critical of Mgmt even if had some doubts.

That's true. I doubt that he would elaborate at this length, though, if he strongly disagreed with it.

Like I say, what I find really interesting there is this "Montreal is different" approach, one that clearly reflects a dominant assumption within the organization. It troubles me a bit because it can so easily turn into a very subtle excuse for losing (not unlike Harry Sinden's many years of whining about how the Habs get all the breaks - which Dryden, in his book, later excoriated as 'having given his team an excuse for losing').

Well, with narrow minded/bigoted media, local fans and politicians, Habs are at a disadvantage..simply a fact.

We can complain or call it an excuse and it bothers many people but what you gonna do when a prominent mayor is calling for a player to be traded, because he isn't playing well, or locals are calling for a boycott of Molson simply because he promoted an english speaking interim coach.

So putting Galchenyuk front and centre to sink or swim might of been the wrong way to go.

So putting Galchenyuk front and centre to sink or swim might of been the wrong way to go.

Okay. So what's the excuse of not making him the second line centre? Of his even strength minutes being nearly identical to "third line centre" David Desharnais? Of playing centre at even strength but wing on powerplay? Of why he would continually be taken off centre at any moment's notice? Why did it have to be first line centre or nothing?

Why does he even need to play centre? What difference does it make if he plays 2nd line centre or wing? I say little and wing is a more sheltered spot which is good fro a kid.

He started at 2nd line centre and didn't pan out, but you want to keep beating dead horse go nuts. Why are you so fixated on him having to play centre and only centre? He played centre at end of year and was no difference, team still lost at same rate and Galchenyuk was pumping in the goals at wing before Desharnais got hurt.

And as all Habs people (we know you know more of course) are singing same tune about Galchunyuk maturing throughout the year, am sure you will explain that away somehow. :bonk:

Why does he even need to play centre? What difference does it make if he plays 2nd line centre or wing? I say little and wing is a more sheltered spot which is good fro a kid.

He started at 2nd line centre and didn't pan out, but you want to keep beating dead horse go nuts. Why are you so fixated on him having to play centre and only centre? He played centre at end of year and was no difference, team still lost at same rate and Galchenyuk was pumping in the goals at wing before Desharnais got hurt.

And as all Habs people (we know you know more of course) are singing same tune about Galchunyuk maturing throughout the year, am sure you will explain that away somehow. :bonk:

Because positions matter. Especially to the player. Also, players play on a team and don't lose as individuals but as a team. If certain players are doing everything to help you win and you lose, they are not part of the problem. I thought you knew hockey?

"Yeah, I love centre," Galchenyuk said as we chatted on Thursday. "It's a different game. You have the puck more. I love to be with the puck. I think that's my game to have the puck on my stick. I love it."

There's a guy Habs fans want and he too has been dealing with a coach who doesn't want to play him at the position he prefers:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/lightning-preparing-for-all-stamkos-possibilities/

But according to a couple of sources, there are other things at play. The first is role.

Stamkos prefers to play centre, which creates a top-six logjam with Valtteri Filppula and triplet Tyler Johnson. It sounds like the Lightning would prefer Stamkos to play on the wing to ease that issue. From what I’ve been told, the discussions were professional, but both organization and player remain searching for common ground.
So basically, you can either play him where he doesn't want to be and have an unhappy player who will then consider leaving (or say he'll stay at full dollar) and then have to search for another third overall pick quality player to fill a top six role, or you can treat him like one of the best offensive players on an offensive strapped team has and play him where he prefers.

I've got to admit, I'm not sure where all the anger of Habs fans is coming from, really. Galchenyuk was our clear-cut #1 C by year's end. Mission accomplished. So it happened a few weeks or months more slowly than it would have in the absence of management's "Montreal is different" philosophy (as per Pacioretty's comments above). What's the big deal? It's not like Galy at C in December would have salvaged the season.

Why does he even need to play centre?

Are you seriously trolling again Don?

Because Don, the stronger the team at C position, the better. It's really stupid to have a player that is capable to be a #1 C, at wing because he is also your best(or 2nd best)winger, or your team is just weak on the wing.

A good team's strength is most often down the middle, and you know this...This team is almost devoid of C's that are what you would consider "strong" or capable at C.

Only Plek is a "strong" or efficient NHL C on this particular team, and he isn't getting any younger.

Are you seriously trolling again Don?

Because Don, the stronger the team at C position, the better. It's really stupid to have a player that is capable to be a #1 C, at wing because he is also your best(or 2nd best)winger, or your team is just weak on the wing.

A good team's strength is most often down the middle, and you know this...This team is almost devoid of C's that are what you would consider "strong" or capable at C.

Only Plek is a "strong" or efficient NHL C on this particular team, and he isn't getting any younger.

Don just loves to stir the pot. :)

Don't necessarily disagree with anything KORP noted.

If a player is capable to play #1 C, then dandy and Galchenyuk's play during exhibition games was encouraging for sure.

Don't necessarily disagree with anything KORP noted.

If a player is capable to play #1 C, then dandy and Galchenyuk's play during exhibition games was encouraging for sure.

OUCH!

Rather than moan about the delay in Galy getting to C, I prefer to see it as a fait accompli and therefore not worth arguing about; but this rebuttal cuts.

That is it and didn't intend to cause more grief, but just pointing out the last month or two was glorified no-pressure hockey; but cant wait to see the 16-17 version of #27.

However, if someone still wants to chime in on the delay as idiotic or moronic, I still wont agree.

That is it and didn't intend to cause more grief, but just pointing out the last month or two was glorified no-pressure hockey; but cant wait to see the 16-17 version of #27.

However, if someone still wants to chime in on the delay as idiotic or moronic, I still wont agree.

I think what's so hard to stomach is the proposition that DD is a BETTER option than #27. This may well have been the case when Galy was young and fragile. But surely he's been around long enough that he can be reasonably asked to ride out the slumps, like any other player. I'm not gonna argue over whether we waited too long to move him to C, because I think it's a moot point and overblown by most fans - as though a few weeks such an earth-shattering big deal. But unless he is absolutely getting eaten alive on a nightly basis, he HAS to be the best option we've got at that position going forward, assuming no changes to the roster down the middle.

I think what's so hard to stomach is the proposition that DD is a BETTER option than #27. This may well have been the case when Galy was young and fragile. But surely he's been around long enough that he can be reasonably asked to ride out the slumps, like any other player. I'm not gonna argue over whether we waited too long to move him to C, because I think it's a moot point and overblown by most fans - as though a few weeks such an earth-shattering big deal. But unless he is absolutely getting eaten alive on a nightly basis, he HAS to be the best option we've got at that position going forward, assuming no changes to the roster down the middle.

Sounds like his off-off actions or immaturity likely had part to do with his play and usage as well.

Sounds like his off-off actions or immaturity likely had part to do with his play and usage as well.

Off ice maturity??? getting abused by his girlfriend is his off-ice maturity??? What would have been more mature - smacking her back and seeing how that played out in the media??

stirring stirring stirring. How's that pot Don? :popcorn: