Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

OK let's get back to rumours, Edmonton apparently want to trade 4 th pick, what do we give them? Reway and Emelin? And may a lower 2nd round pick?? I would love to have 2 1st round top 10 picks.

OK let's get back to rumours, Edmonton apparently want to trade 4 th pick, what do we give them? Reway and Emelin? And may a lower 2nd round pick?? I would love to have 2 1st round top 10 picks.

You aren't getting the 4th pick without giving up at least one of the following

9th pick

Carey Price

PK Subban

Max Pacioretty

Alex Galchenyuk

Brendan Gallagher

Yes the oilers would have to add more and it would be 4th + something to get any of the players... but there is no package we can make to get a 4th overall pick without giving up 9th, or one of those guys. Its not happening.

9th pick

Carey Price

PK Subban

Max Pacioretty

Alex Galchenyuk

Brendan Gallagher

Yes the oilers would have to add more and it would be 4th + something to get any of the players... but there is no package we can make to get a 4th overall pick without giving up 9th, or one of those guys. Its not happening.

Exactly.

9th pick

Carey Price

PK Subban

Max Pacioretty

Alex Galchenyuk

Brendan Gallagher

damn But I can still dream . right?

Hmm. What about Pleks in a package - ?

I don't know why people think Edmonton wants Plekanec so bad. They need wingers and defencemen. If they traded for him they'd get what, two years out of him? He'd play third line at $6m with no powerplay time behind McD and RNH. It's not realistic at all.

I don't know why people think Edmonton wants Plekanec so bad. They need wingers and defencemen. If they traded for him they'd get what, two years out of him? He'd play third line at $6m with no powerplay time behind McD and RNH. It's not realistic at all.

Fair enough. I think the thought is that EDM seriously needs responsible, intelligent, accomplished veterans who can help to solidify their two-way game and who play the game 'the right way,' as Pleks does. But the positional consideration is legit. In a way, RNH as a return for 'Pleks +' might be more realistic given their team needs. But we're only one of 29 fan-bases fantasizing about siphoning away Edmonton's surplus of young and young-ish talent, so any scenario is probably a long-shot.

• Upvote 1

Gord Miller had interesting(I thought anyways) comments on Euro players like Reway, Shipachev, Sekac coming over to North America and needing to adapt.

He mentioned Euro players tend to not use dump and chase as NHL players do, whereas they tend to either try and beat player one on one, or stop and curl once crossing blueline. Which he noted was a favourite Gretzky move, that dosent work as well anymore as NHL players backcheck aggressively moreso now, unlike 80s-90s.

He said Panarin struggled until coaches got him to dump puck and use give and go with linemates more and he adapted well. Sekac never did and Reway is doing little due to tighter checking than normal (and he may be one of few offensive weapons on team).

I cant say I agree or disagree, but seems plausible that may be partly why some Euro-stars flop in the NHL?

Hmm. What about Pleks in a package - ?

A guy i have 7 years of cost control over, vs a 6 million centre on the wrong side of 30 with 2 years of control?

I take the 4th overall pick.

Gord Miller had interesting(I thought anyways) comments on Euro players like Reway, Shipachev, Sekac coming over to North America and needing to adapt.

He mentioned Euro players tend to not use dump and chase as NHL players do, whereas they tend to either try and beat player one on one, or stop and curl once crossing blueline. Which he noted was a favourite Gretzky move, that dosent work as well anymore as NHL players backcheck aggressively moreso now, unlike 80s-90s.

He said Panarin struggled until coaches got him to dump puck and use give and go with linemates more and he adapted well. Sekac never did and Reway is doing little due to tighter checking than normal (and he may be one of few offensive weapons on team).

I cant say I agree or disagree, but seems plausible that may be partly why some Euro-stars flop in the NHL?

Analytics has shown that controlled zone entries are far more successful at creating offense than dump and chase, so I don't think this is the reason

Panarin did anything but struggle for a rookie player in the NHL, the real difference is time and space, players who can think the game in a split second and make the right play 75% of the time in very little time are the ones who will come over and be impactful right away in this league or any league. Guys who thrive in the Euro league based off having time and space to become dangerous will come here and flop because you have less space and in the nhl, you have a player all over you in less than 2 seconds of handling the puck. You don't have the time and space here to Become dangerous on the ice, you have to make the quick decision everytime you have the puck that CREATES a dangerous situation on the ice for your opponent, that is the true difference at its core.

Some players have a skill set that lets them be very productive if they can swim around the ice freely and have multiple looks at the best option to become a scoring threat, but if you suffocate them and force them to make a hockey decision in a very uncomfortable amount of time they are not nearly as effective. It is important to try and figure out what makes a player so productive in the Euro leagues before really being to see if he has what it takes to transition to the NHL effectively.

I was listening to TSN690 in Montreal this week and Tony Marinaro stated quite emphatically that Jonathan Drouin for Max Pacioretty is a trade the Habs should definitely make. I have not watched any of the playoffs this year so I don't know Drouin at all, but doesn't that trade seem risky?

I was listening to TSN690 in Montreal this week and Tony Marinaro stated quite emphatically that Jonathan Drouin for Max Pacioretty is a trade the Habs should definitely make. I have not watched any of the playoffs this year so I don't know Drouin at all, but doesn't that trade seem risky?

It's a big risk. I know I wouldn't even remotely consider it if I were Bergevin.

Trading an automatic 30+ goal scorer who is also the captain and locked up for a bargain 4.5 million per year for anyone is crazy, let alone an unproven young player that might have an attitude.

Ha... in year one of a rebuild, if Tampa threw in 2 1st round picks, then maybe...

Naw, I've changed my mind, forget it~!

I will say that Drouin is impressive at times this post season, quite a smart player, with great skill and vision.

I think that if MB thinks that is a fair trade just like the Tony then maybe he (MB) should do radio too. As the Habs GM he would be as bad as Peanut with a trade of the sort.

Drouin has a higher ceiling and I wouldn't be surprised if he averages a higher PPG over the next five years than Patches. That said it's not the type of trade we make at this stage with this roster.

I think that proposal is nice example of the twisted logic of fan hysteria, especially during losing seasons. It works like this:

1. Patches is named captain.

2. For completely unrelated reasons, the team starts losing.

3. Patches' leadership comes into question.

4. Patches is therefore identified as a 'disappointment,' even a 'problem.'

5. Therefore trading Patches for a fashionable hotshot becomes attractive.

The big mistake in this chain of reasoning is (4). Pacioretty is very much like PK Subban, in that he is IN NO WAY a problem, and in every way part of the solution.

We should have nabbed Drouin when his value was low. Tossed our first rounder (lottery protected) plus when the Bolts were shopping him. Instead everyone was so worried about winning games or the French Canadian having too much pressure or his attitude.

Eh I won't criticize Bergevin when nobody else did. Just felt like a missed opportunity at the time which so many felt it wasn't a good idea.

Guest Stogey24

I question that too.

I'm not going to lie, I'm getting a little tired of Bergevin. I still have faith, but it's running low