Fanpuck33

Permanent Rumour Thread

17349 posts in this topic

These Karl Alzner rumors keep persisting. Not sure how I feel about this one as I'm cringing as to the term and salary....somebody talk some sense into me, is this guy good enough to warrant a long term contract of 4.5/yr or more? The advanced statistics make him look pretty mediocre as he's usually at the middle or lower end for Washington's Corsi or Fenwich % but then he never gets hurt and doesn't give the puck away much compared to the ice time he recieves.

 

I suppose he'll be better than Emelin, but my gut is he might just be another one of MB's overpays for middling talent. I suppose if his addition allows MB to not use Galchenyuk as a trade piece and his salary is just low enough for us to retain Markov and another forward it could be considered a good thing.........

 

or not lol. What's the point where his cost is prohibitive to what we need to accomplish this summer?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, for Pete's sake said:

These Karl Alzner rumors keep persisting. Not sure how I feel about this one as I'm cringing as to the term and salary....somebody talk some sense into me, is this guy good enough to warrant a long term contract of 4.5/yr or more? The advanced statistics make him look pretty mediocre as he's usually at the middle or lower end for Washington's Corsi or Fenwich % but then he never gets hurt and doesn't give the puck away much compared to the ice time he recieves.

 

I suppose he'll be better than Emelin, but my gut is he might just be another one of MB's overpays for middling talent. I suppose if his addition allows MB to not use Galchenyuk as a trade piece and his salary is just low enough for us to retain Markov and another forward it could be considered a good thing.........

 

or not lol. What's the point where his cost is prohibitive to what we need to accomplish this summer?

Alzner is a steady defenseman but nothing more than that. I personally don't think he's what we need. He wouldn't hurt us but I'd be looking for someone capable of more offense than him otherwise our defense is worse than it was last year. This all changes if I underestimate Jerabek and Schlemko.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Yes, he is overpaid for a guy who on a good te is a 3rd liner making almost double what his production  warrants.  

 

He he also gave too much term and money to a washed up Briere (not a cup winner, but went to the finals).

Not massively overpaid, no one but you would claim that (another example of your endless inane whining) and one is not a trend.

 

Radulov to Isles? Do they have the caproom to toss huge contract t him?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Paul Byron to Preds? Never even considered Byron as  a trade target (but is just a Eklund rumour).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DON said:

Paul Byron to Preds? Never even considered Byron as  a trade target (but is just a Eklund rumour).

Has he ever been right on a trade? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Thornton is taking a trip to Montreal 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stogey24 said:

Has he ever been right on a trade? 

His early sources were all Philly based. Everything was BS unless it was connected to someone in Philly. Some have also figured out he had some contact connected to Danny Briere. When Briere was in Montreal his inside rumours skyrocketed. They died out about a year after Briere was traded. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

His early sources were all Philly based. Everything was BS unless it was connected to someone in Philly. Some have also figured out he had some contact connected to Danny Briere. When Briere was in Montreal his inside rumours skyrocketed. They died out about a year after Briere was traded. 

Ya, I remember that with Briere 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Byron has the best contract in the league, easy to coach and speed to burn. 

 

No way he gets moved

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chris said:

Byron has the best contract in the league, easy to coach and speed to burn. 

 

No way he gets moved

 

Depends on the return. That's about it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

 

Depends on the return. That's about it.

Byron and Weber for Subban 🙏

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Alzner stuff seems persistent. 

 

The goods:  can eat a ton of minutes, is never injured

 

The bad:  doesn't move the puck well, the advanced stats are not great when it comes to WOWY etc.

 

The whatifs:  do the negatives improve under the watch of a Weber and Markov?

 

In the absence of other rumours, this one almost seems a like a done deal.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Byron and Weber for Subban 🙏

I would add a decent prospect as well if that is what it takes...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soooo.  We get blessed by getting rid of Emelins contract and what will MB do? Sign a new bottom6 for over 4M/year....

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

Soooo.  We get blessed by getting rid of Emelins contract and what will MB do? Sign a new bottom6 for over 4M/year....

 

He already replaced half the salary with Schlemko.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

 

He already replaced half the salary with Schlemko.

 

Schlemko, by all accounts, is a solid player, and his contract is reasonable.  I'd rather fix our defense on the cheap and put our money up front.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

I would add a decent prospect as well if that is what it takes...

Sorry, we just sold our last one 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neech said:

 

Schlemko, by all accounts, is a solid player, and his contract is reasonable.  I'd rather fix our defense on the cheap and put our money up front.

 

I don't like the term...for one year, sure. We are the retirement home for middling journeymen. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Malkin was talking to Radulov and trying lure him into signing with Pitt on a short contract to win a cup. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supposedly Bob Mckenzie said this morning that Thornton to Habs simply aint ever happening.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Apparently Malkin was talking to Radulov and trying lure him into signing with Pitt on a short contract to win a cup. 

 

:angry:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DON said:

Supposedly Bob Mckenzie said this morning that Thornton to Habs simply aint ever happening.

Definetly unlikely 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Definetly unlikely 

Why would he want to? If he leaves SJS, it will be for either a really stupid contract offer by someone, or to win a cup.  I don't see us true contenders just by adding him and I can't see us having the cap space to offer him really stupid money 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised when his name was even rumoured with Montreal 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now