Jump to content
Fanpuck33

Permanent Rumour Thread

Recommended Posts

Zowpeb    7

Just a thought and this is digging into the cob-webs of my aging memory from when Streit first came to Montreal a number of years ago.  There was a time when Mark Streit was toyed with as someone who could play some LW - as a depth wing option on a defensive line.  I'm wondering if that might not be possible still...it's a way to carry an extra d-man through the season without really hampering productivity and line-up flexibility (quite the opposite if he can fill the role adequately).   Would open the door a little wider to bringing in Butcher if he'd sign...and I really like the idea of a d-man named The Butcher.   Even if he's not a physical kill first meathead. LOL

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    645
9 hours ago, BlueKross said:

Rookie camp is probably a month away. Do you have the exact date/ Do you know of any more pending invites?

 

The rookie tournament starts September 9th so I imagine the camp would start a few days before that.  As for pending invites, there aren't any new ones I'm aware of yet (it doesn't sound like Tyanulin is accepting the invite either).  They filled their development camp roster with players that are pro-aged and I imagine they'll look to bring a lot of those players back and use rookie camp and training camp as a tryout competition for a couple of AHL deals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlueKross    26
2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

 

The rookie tournament starts September 9th so I imagine the camp would start a few days before that.  As for pending invites, there aren't any new ones I'm aware of yet (it doesn't sound like Tyanulin is accepting the invite either).  They filled their development camp roster with players that are pro-aged and I imagine they'll look to bring a lot of those players back and use rookie camp and training camp as a tryout competition for a couple of AHL deals.

God, it can't come fast enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    645

They're citing an interview where the person being interviewed admitted that he wasn't sure which team Jagr's agent talked with.  That's not really anything newsworthy.  And boy, that site really believes in click bait headlines, wow...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    599
1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

They're citing an interview where the person being interviewed admitted that he wasn't sure which team Jagr's agent talked with.  That's not really anything newsworthy.  And boy, that site really believes in click bait headlines, wow...

 

That site is the absolute worst for clickbait.... every article. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Link67    95

I really think if they wanted to sign Jagr, they would have went that route before they signed Hemsky.

 

At this point I think the cap space will be used to try and trade for a big salary player in the top 6 forward position or top 4 D,  which ever scenario presents the player who will bring us the biggest step forward, for a package we can afford to give up.

 

or maybe that is just what I would do if I was GM, and I am in for a rude awakening one of these days :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    645
7 hours ago, Link67 said:

I really think if they wanted to sign Jagr, they would have went that route before they signed Hemsky.

1

 

When they signed Hemsky, I imagine they were expecting to re-sign Markov and eat of most of the remaining cap space.  Jagr's going to cost more than Hemsky so back in early July, they probably figured they wouldn't be able to afford him whereas now they could if they wanted to sign him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Link67    95
4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

 

When they signed Hemsky, I imagine they were expecting to re-sign Markov and eat of most of the remaining cap space.  Jagr's going to cost more than Hemsky so back in early July, they probably figured they wouldn't be able to afford him whereas now they could if they wanted to sign him.

 

 

that is a good point, but sooner or later, Bergevin needs to spend the resources and allocate the cap required to make this roster better. Whether that means signing Jagr and Markov in July, and going over the cap by a million, followed by a move to lower the cap, Mitchell on waivers or whatever the case maybe. If all you do is maneuver to fit the perfect scenarios inside your bubble of cap space without the willingness to extend yourself and make the adjustments after the fact, more often than not, you will be caught staring at the moment as it passes you by rather than reaching out and grabbing it.

 

At this point, I would have rather give Markov 6.5mill for 1 year and Jagr 3.5mill for 1 year, go over the cap a little and spend the next couple months working on getting back under the cap. Like I said, either Mitchell on Waivers, Davidson traded for a late pick, there is a variety of ways it could be handled, and I would feel much better about a roster right now that Had both Markov and Jagr on it. We would actually be saving the money on Hemsky and Streit because they wouldn't have been needed in that scenario,. So it might not have even put us over the cap at all, Don't know the math exactly off hand but I think it would just fit or just barely go over in this instance.

 

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Drouin

Lehkonen - Danault - Jagr

Byron - Plekanec - Gallagher

Hudon - McCarron - Shaw

 

Markov - Weber

Alzner - Petry

Schlemko - Benn

 

I could have easily got behind this roster, it would have left me with a lot less question marks and doubts for the upcoming season compared to what I feel now. Time will tell what the cap space will turn into, but that scenario would have been fine by me, and gave us a chance to be competitive next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    221

Jagr is the game changer in your eyes? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scott462    54
2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Jagr is the game changer in your eyes? 

 

 

 

Yeah im not too sold on going after Jagr. Their are rumours he might be retiring anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
habs rule    392

I wouldn't give Jagr 3.5 million, more like 1.5 to 2 mill. He is not in high demand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xXx..CK..xXx    125

I'd be fine with Jagr on the squad. I don't know why it's him or Hemsky though. I see them as two different types of players. Both are right wingers but we'd be able to pencil them both in. I don't see it happening though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Link67    95
8 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Jagr is the game changer in your eyes? 

 

 

 

Game changer no, I never suggested that anyway, what I do know is Drouin + Jagr would easily make up the production of Radulov, so there is a production upgrade there to be happy about if they were in the lineup. Also Markov's loss on the back end would be non existent and our D core could slot back in to the spots they belong in, and the small upgrades made at various positions there could remain as such because Markov being gone isn't forcing a 1 step forward 2 steps back scenario on our D. That, as a whole, is bit of a game changer, at the very least it would have ensured us of an upgraded roster on paper, and Like i said I could get behind that.

 

4 hours ago, habs rule said:

I wouldn't give Jagr 3.5 million, more like 1.5 to 2 mill. He is not in high demand.

 

In context, We were talking about early July, there is no way Jagr coming off a 46 point season takes less than 3 mill for 1 year in the opening days of July.

 

3 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I'd be fine with Jagr on the squad. I don't know why it's him or Hemsky though. I see them as two different types of players. Both are right wingers but we'd be able to pencil them both in. I don't see it happening though.

 

While you are right to a certain extent, we could fit both under the cap, Is there really a point to signing Hemsky just to play on the 4th line? Our RW situation would get weird, Drouin replacing Radulov as the top RW, followed by Jagr and Gallagher and Hemsky. I am not sure Hemsky would enjoy the role nor do I think it necessary to acquire him if he is not a top 9 RW for the team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zumpano21    38

There's rumour of discord in BOS with the Pastrnak deal.

 

While I don't think he could be traded to MTL directly, at least BOS will suck a little more if he gets moved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xXx..CK..xXx    125
7 hours ago, Link67 said:

 

While you are right to a certain extent, we could fit both under the cap, Is there really a point to signing Hemsky just to play on the 4th line? Our RW situation would get weird, Drouin replacing Radulov as the top RW, followed by Jagr and Gallagher and Hemsky. I am not sure Hemsky would enjoy the role nor do I think it necessary to acquire him if he is not a top 9 RW for the team.

 

I agree that Hemsky should not be a 4th line player. That's just a personal opinion of mine though. In reality, I've seen him suggested on the 4th line quite often on these boards, as well as elsewhere. I have him penciled in with Plekanec, ideally on the 3rd line, but it's not that far fetched an idea to see Hemsky on the 4th based on his recent past. I'm hoping we don't though. It will mean worse things than better.

 

With that being said, there are also ways acquiring Jagr may work without forcing Hemsky to the 4th line. Looked at in isolation it may not be smart, but there have been suggestions of trading Gallagher for our center. If that happened, all of a sudden we'd have some space for Jagr as a temporary fill in as well as Hemsky. I don't want to trade Gallagher myself, it's just a scenario that might fit a reason to make the move, especially since we have the cap space.

 

Also, if we do sport a fourth line based on speed, it's truly not that far fetched to have Hemsky play on the the 4th line with players like say Mitchell and Hudon. This is another thought based not on personal opinion but theory. 

 

I have a 4th line of Martinsen-Shaw-McCarron but it could just as easily look like Hudon-Mitchell-Hemsky.

 

The last reason it could work is by moving Drouin to center. It's funny because this is another move I wouldn't personally make. I think Drouin is nice coming in on his off wing. On the other side of the coin, there could be positives from it because it could allow us to have Galchenyuk and Drouin as our top 2 centers.

 

Pacioretty-Drouin-Jagr

Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

 

Finally, I guess I'd just like to use the cap space one way or the other. I think having the cap space is reason enough to justify making the move whether or not Hemsky is on the team. It may not be a homerun move but it wouldn't be detrimental either. With this much cap space left over, I may have to go into the season thinking that management may be looking 2 years ahead, and I've never gone into a season with that mentality in my young life.

 

In the end, I seem to believe the rumors that Jagr may be less likely to come here because of his past history with Bergevin, even though I don't believe Jagr has made personal

calls to Bergevin. Unlikely to happen, but not the worst idea in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    221

Let the kids play.

 

Don't waste cap, just because you have it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
C-Love    2

Jagr put up almost 50 pts last year playing on the top line in Florida and the top PP unit most of the year.  If we slotted him in on our 2nd line and 2nd PP unit, he would be playing against slower players and less talented players all the time.  There is no reason to believe he couldn't put up 60 pts for us.  If the money was right, this seems like an absolute no brainer to me.  If he'd take a 1 year deal at 3 million, Bergy should be jumping all over him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    9
4 hours ago, C-Love said:

  There is no reason to believe he couldn't put up 60 pts for us.

And Gallagher could get 40goals, but neither scenario is realistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlueKross    26
4 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Let the kids play.

 

Don't waste cap, just because you have it. 

Exactly. I have been an advocate of keeping much more cap space if at all possible than we normally do; since the cap started. Teams have been rewarded some nice prospects and/or picks if you can help a team in cap purgatory. There is not truth to the rumor that you have to spend to the cap to be successful. We do know that you can spend to the cap and be unsuccessful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xXx..CK..xXx    125
37 minutes ago, BlueKross said:

Exactly. I have been an advocate of keeping much more cap space if at all possible than we normally do; since the cap started. Teams have been rewarded some nice prospects and/or picks if you can help a team in cap purgatory. There is not truth to the rumor that you have to spend to the cap to be successful. We do know that you can spend to the cap and be unsuccessful.

With my previous post in mind, it's very true that a team doesn't need to spend all their cap space to be successful.

 

Teams that I am surprised to see with so

much free space left also include the Bruins and San Jose. I expect especially San Jose to be quite competitive and they have more room than us at this point. In addition, teams like the Maple Leafs and Rangers probably spend up to the ceiling on a yearly basis and it hasn't done much for them.

 

With that being said, in a specific view, I still

would't be able to understand why we would have a limit for spending on a player like Markov (Radulov:longer term) on a one year deal, if we didn't intend on using much of it somewhere else.

 

The Habs had options this off season and chose not to spend it on player(s) who certainly could have still been serviceable to us.

 

In addition most of the teams who are expected to be competitive next season are in the top half of spending. There are teams like Vegas who will be higher on spending without the results but it seems only natural to spend when you can. 

 

The Habs still have a few voids in the lineup and we still have money to spare. If there's nothing better out there, then I would try to sign one of the available vets. If nothing else, it may give us the option to place one of our elite winger-centers purely at center and hope they begin to flourish there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    221

Why a vet? Hudon, Mccarron, De La rose are at a point in their careers where taking the next step is a serious posssiblitly. Let them fill any voids on this roster.

 

Save the cap space for something that's actually needed. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
C-Love    2

I think Jagr is simply a better option than anything we have in our system.  Jagr put up more points last year in the NHL against top line players (in most cases, best defensive players on each team) than Hudon did in the AHL playing against bums.  Why should we assume he'd put up more points in a tougher league against tougher competition?  I believe the grave reality is that we simply don't have anything in our system to help us now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    9
19 minutes ago, C-Love said:

I think Jagr is simply a better option than anything we have in our system.  Jagr put up more points last year in the NHL against top line players (in most cases, best defensive players on each team) than Hudon did in the AHL playing against bums.  Why should we assume he'd put up more points in a tougher league against tougher competition?  I believe the grave reality is that we simply don't have anything in our system to help us now.  

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Dan-Spiegel/Tallon-Proven-Right-On-Jagr/93/86923

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    221
1 hour ago, C-Love said:

I think Jagr is simply a better option than anything we have in our system.  Jagr put up more points last year in the NHL against top line players (in most cases, best defensive players on each team) than Hudon did in the AHL playing against bums.  Why should we assume he'd put up more points in a tougher league against tougher competition?  I believe the grave reality is that we simply don't have anything in our system to help us now.  

Who said Hudon is going to put up more points than Jagr? 

 

I wasn't even going to touch this, because it's completely irrelevant, but Jagr put up 46 pts and Hudon put up 49pts, so I don't know what your talking about. 

 

Anyways...The top 6 winger situation is fine and basically set. Money needs to spent on a top 6 centre. Maybe that deal doesn't happen today, but I can promise you that having cap space will make things a hell of a lot easier, if something does arise. 

 

The goal is to basically have young players on cheap deals filling the less prominent voids, so you have room to land big names when players become available. That's basically the way a well run team has success in the cap era. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×