Fanpuck33

Permanent Rumour Thread

Trizzak    483
1 minute ago, dlbalr said:

If they have to retain something to get a late-round draft pick, I'd suggest they'd be better off just putting him on waivers (and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the outcome in the next day or two).  They may want those retention slots open until the deadline, especially with a lot of top teams nearly being capped out.

What 3 players would the Habs need to retain salary on this year? Pleks for sure, but after that...?

Does retained salary end July 1st or at the end of the regular season?

dlbalr    691
43 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

What 3 players would the Habs need to retain salary on this year? Pleks for sure, but after that...?

Does retained salary end July 1st or at the end of the regular season?

A lot depends on how capped out teams are.  Could someone like Morrow draw interest from the Washingtons of the world at 50% retained?  They probably won't have enough cap room to add even a minimum-salaried player but if someone retains on one, there may be a move to be made.  If they want to move Shaw, he's a candidate for retention.  If they make a really bold move with Pacioretty, his value would go up a fair bit if they were willing to retain and eat the cost next year as well. 

Retained salary comes off the books on July 1st so the three-retained limit is in effect until then.  Realistically, a team may want to keep at least one spot open for the offseason.

• Upvote 1

Trizzak    483

Wayne Simmonds is potentially available, as per the Saturday Headlines crew on HNIC.

dlbalr    691
49 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Wayne Simmonds is potentially available, as per the Saturday Headlines crew on HNIC.

I heard on the Flyers-Bruins broadcast today that he's playing through hip troubles.

Neech    85

Too bad Simmons isn't a C.  

Basically, if we use serious assets to acquire a good player, it better be a C.

• Upvote 3

Trizzak    483
13 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I heard on the Flyers-Bruins broadcast today that he's playing through hip troubles.

If that's true, and Philly is serious about trading him, then they might as well shut him down now to heal up. He'll be worth more with working hips. 

4 minutes ago, Neech said:

I wholeheartedly agree, but you know that Simmonds is a Bergevin kinda guy... except maybe with more skill than Marc is used to. 

• Upvote 1

Commandant    632
51 minutes ago, Neech said:

Agree 100%..  I'm a fan of Simmonds, but this team doesn't really need the help at Wing.  They need a top 6 C, and a top 4 LHD. 

• Upvote 1