Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

28 minutes ago, titanfan said:

No rose coloured glasses here.  We have done worse with $1 million.  If we tried it, and it didn't work - Then move on.  If it did - it is worth the gamble.

We've paid more money for players NOT to play!

Three words that make a lot of sense on a message board like this:  Optimism, Pessimism and Skepticism.  Don't be blinded by any of the three. 

How bout realistic, unbiased and objective?:D

And, would just be sad to see the pylon-version of Markov one on one against McDavid or even any above average skating forward.

This is about Karlsson. His wife is apparently home sick from Ottawa. 

"While the two-time Norris Trophy winner is expected to be the most coveted free agent available when the market opens on July 1, a well-connected source says that he hopes to receive competitive offers from two teams in particular — the Senators and the Montreal Canadiens" 

1 hour ago, Habber31 said:

This is about Karlsson. His wife is apparently home sick from Ottawa. 

"While the two-time Norris Trophy winner is expected to be the most coveted free agent available when the market opens on July 1, a well-connected source says that he hopes to receive competitive offers from two teams in particular — the Senators and the Montreal Canadiens" 

Who is saying it?

24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Who is saying it?

Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun, not sure how reliable this is

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, EMELINATOR said:

Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun, not sure how reliable this is

Hes no bob mckenzie.

Hes also no eklund.

So its possible i guess.  

I mean his wife has been through a lot in the last year and is local to ottawa, i can see her wanting to be close to family.

I can see karlsson wanting tampa.  But how does that work cap wise.

40 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

31 Thoughts podcast:

Friedman has Matt Duchene's top destinations as Nashville and Montreal.

Habs might be in on Jake Gardiner, but Friedman isn't sure.

We surely can't afford all three of Duchene, Gardiner and Karlsson. Maybe not even two of them. We'll be in cap trouble two years from now even with just one.

So I really hope that Bergevin is prioritizing defence and working on Gardiner and Karlsson as the priority.

If Karlsson wants to come to Montreal, I would look at trading Petry. Other wise that's too much money on the back end. Trade Petry and add Karlsson and Gardiner.

41 minutes ago, Metallica said:

If Karlsson wants to come to Montreal, I would look at trading Petry. Other wise that's too much money on the back end. Trade Petry and add Karlsson and Gardiner.

and beg someone to take Alzner

2 hours ago, Metallica said:

Weber, Karlsson and Gardiner, plus the youth movement to supplement them, would be a mighty improvement on this year's D corps. It's more than I dare to hope for, though.

1 hour ago, titanfan said:

and beg someone to take Alzner

One more year of Alzner, then he becomes much more tradeable. He has a $1 500 000 signing bonus due next July, then after than he's only paid 5 million over 2 years. Much easier for an internal cap team to take on Alzner at that price than the $11 125 000 over 3 years he's owed right now.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say, if we can get Karlsson to come here, it should be to play on his offside, on a top pair with Weber, and to play the minutes he will be paid to play. I don't want him playing on a second pair, I don't want Gardiner if we get Karlsson to then have to trade Petry, who is a better version of Gardiner while not costing us the same kind of cap and term Gardiner would. Karlsson, for me, is the main target, Gardiner is the consolation prize, but I honestly doubt he wants anything to do with another fishbowl market that will start social media raging every time he turns it over.

A top 3 of Karlsson, Weber, and Petry is the stuff dreams are made of, handedness be damned, if anyone can handle playing his offside along side of Weber, it would be an elite defender like Karlsson. I've said it earlier in the offseason and i'll say it again, Karlsson should be target #1 on the UFA market, it doesn't mean we are going to get him, but anything else should be plan B.

• Upvote 2

He's arguably the only UFA i would want to spend top dollar on besides maybe Panarin. Other then that i would prefer to not over pay on any middle of the pack/ aging UFA's and grow this young team. Im 100% positive  any of Petry/ Weber/ Karlsonn can play their off side of defence. And why would we want to trade Petry who is far superior to Gardiner in my honest opinion?

We would be CRAZY to not jump on arguably the best Dman in the NHL without giving up assets while gaining a monster! Whenever a legit NHL superstar is available and wants to come to MTL we should jump on it. You would have to believe we'd be a contender if Price continues on his upward trajectory from the 2nd half of last season and the youth continues to progress

Karlsson Petry

Mete Weber

Kulak Frolin

Reilly Juulsen

Leskonen Brook

Fleury

Price

Could you imagine finally having a PP QB who's a righty on the point feeding weber's slapper properly? Or his offence from the back 60/70 pts guaranteed. Or roling him out 3on3... sign this guy before he changes his mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a no brainer...

offer 11 million and another 5 million in endorsements from Provigo, dejardins, molson... anyone or anything 

4 hours ago, tomh009 said:

We surely can't afford all three of Duchene, Gardiner and Karlsson. Maybe not even two of them. We'll be in cap trouble two years from now even with just one.

So I really hope that Bergevin is prioritizing defence and working on Gardiner and Karlsson as the priority.

We aren't getting all three. 

Its likely only 1 of them. 

But have your lines out to multiple free agents, if you swing and miss on one of them, you have your plan B and plan C.  Nothing wrong with that. 

3 hours ago, Metallica said:

How is it too much money to have like 24 million in 3 defencemen... when the rest (Kulak, Mete, Juulsen, are all going to be cheap). 

The issue is who plays on the Left side... not the amount of money in defence. 

And if Petry or Karlsson is willing to move to LD, then you are set. 

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

How is it too much money to have like 24 million in 3 defencemen... when the rest (Kulak, Mete, Juulsen, are all going to be cheap). 

You forgetting Alzner especially if he is a buy out this year.

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Exactly! If this Karlsson rumour is true and his wife does want to get closer, then Montreal could be a huge play and he would be a huge, huge upgrade on D. Could you imagine a 1-2-3 punch of Karlsson-Weber-Petry? I'd split them and have one on the ice for 50 minutes of each game.

We could worry about the log jam on the right and who plays off-side once he's signed.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Do you blow the cap space on Karlsson alone? You don't know what he is wanting. If he wants Doughty type money that's 11mil a season. I would trade Petry to free up cap space. So that way we can bring in Karlsson and someone else if we wanted to. If we can hopefully get Karlsson for around 9mil then I would be ok with keeping Petry. That Alzner contract is really back firing on us now isn't it.

It's just a feeling, but EK was pretty embedded in Ottawa. I find it believable that his family wants back. 

Habs could be in an excellent position if they want him. 

I love offensively gifted d-men and would like to see it happen. It would bring the added bonus of putting paid once and for all to the myth that UFAs won't sign here.

• Upvote 1