Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

51 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I was one of those Habs  fans that mindlessly got excited last season and I make no apologies for it. I am a Habs fan so I am excited to see them improving.  I am excited about the kids coming up. I don't get excited when we overpay for free agents. Does anyone really know how much it would have cost to keep Radulov? 

The Radulov off season was two years ago. We made some a terrible decisions and it was obvious that we didn’t have a chance at the cup because we left 8 million in cap space on the table. I’m not a negative fan, but I made posts on here about how that off season was the first off season in my life that I knew we didn’t have a chance to win the cup. Of course we haven’t won the cup in 26* years, but I had more hope in general until the off season of 2017. 

Last year we again left cap space on the table but I’ll admit that the team definitely improved from the season before. Last year’s off season which is the season you are referring to was not as bad as two years ago. 

I think letting both Markov and Radulov were mistakes individually, but letting Radulov walk was the bigger mistake. I use “mistake” loosely as I’ll admit Radulov chose to leave to a place with lower taxes as well. He’s one of the best Russians to ever play the game though, and we let him walk.

32 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I was one of those Habs  fans that mindlessly got excited last season and I make no apologies for it. I am a Habs fan so I am excited to see them improving.  I am excited about the kids coming up. I don't get excited when we overpay for free agents. Does anyone really know how much it would have cost to keep Radulov? 

Exactly. The complaints are all focused on missing the playoffs, they don't take into account the context. The young players on the team were a driving force in the improvement.  At the same time the prospect pool improved to top 5 in the NHL.  I'm happier with that, then if the Habs had been driven by older players, made the playoffs and got eliminated quickly. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Of course we haven’t won the cup in 16 years, but I had more hope in general until the off season of 2017.

Those decades go by faster than you might think! :D

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Those decades go by faster than you might think! :D

26* ?

27 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Why would they give him permission, if he is still under contract?

Wild should just go and hire Chiarelli already.

It wouldn't reflect very well on them if they denied Mellanby an opportunity to get a promotion.  He has interviewed with a few teams in the past for their GM job.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Why would they give him permission, if he is still under contract?

Wild should just go and hire Chiarelli already.

You always allow an AGM to interview for a GM job, so long as its off-season and doesn't effect the team right now.  Its just being fair to your employee... if he can get a promotion, you let him go.  If you become the team that doesn't do this, you then will have a hard time getting good talent going forward cause if they have a choice between you and someone else, they will go with the team that wouldn't hold back their career.

• Upvote 2

3. In most cases, the Oilers organization is comfortable with the depth they have built to cultivate competition. The one possible exemption: At Center. UFA Derick Brassard remains unsigned. And it’s August. The Oilers have some interest in him as a potential 3C. Problem is, Brassard’s camp has been asking for far in excess ($4m) of what the Oilers are willing to pay. Then again…no one else has stepped up, yet, either. Although I hear Montreal has some interest.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/jesse-puljujarvis-stubborn-streak-has-not-just-been-in-evidence-around-the-negotiating-table-9-things

• Upvote 1

Pominville's agent is asking the habs to make an offer. 

https://www.tsn.ca/agent-jason-pominville-would-listen-carefully-to-free-agent-offer-from-montreal-canadiens-1.1347317

I wouldn't do anything more than a PTO.  See if the Kids can beat him in camp.  If they dont beat him in camp, then sign him. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

https://www.tsn.ca/agent-jason-pominville-would-listen-carefully-to-free-agent-offer-from-montreal-canadiens-1.1347317

I wouldn't do anything more than a PTO.  See if the Kids can beat him in camp.  If they dont beat him in camp, then sign him. 

Yeah, at 36 it's not clear he can still do it.

His Corsi was pretty consistent still last season at 62.2, more or less flat since 2012. Points/60 also at 2.0, not bad in terms of career. But he got much less ice time in Buffalo than he did when he was playing for the Wild.

But we have a glut of bottom-six forwards already.

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

I don't mind Pominville on the 3rd line with Byron and Kotkaniemi. In fact I might even prefer him there over Armia.

There will be enough injuries over the season to get Poehling and Suzuki some NHL games, and I'd rather both get big minutes in the AHL for a bit than get 3rd or 4th line minutes from Julien. 

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

I don't mind Pominville on the 3rd line with Byron and Kotkaniemi. In fact I might even prefer him there over Armia.

There will be enough injuries over the season to get Poehling and Suzuki some NHL games, and I'd rather both get big minutes in the AHL for a bit than get 3rd or 4th line minutes from Julien. 

I think Armia and pominville's offense are trending in opposite directions, play different role, i will take Armia and we still have boat load bottom six players already signed.

23 hours ago, Commandant said:

It's hard to see what harm a PTO would do. Excluding the kids, he is competing with Dale Weise and probably represents an upgrade on him.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's hard to see what harm a PTO would do. Excluding the kids, he is competing with Dale Weise and probably represents an upgrade on him.

The AHLer Weise? How would he factor in to the Habs roster? He wasnt added to actually play, was just a contract they had to eat and bury in minors.

If the french guy wants to play in Laval and battle Weise for a spot there, that would be fine.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, DON said:

The AHLer Weise? How would he factor in to the Habs roster? He wasnt added to actually play, was just a contract they had to eat and bury in minors.

If the french guy wants to play in Laval and battle Weise for a spot there, that would be fine.

Ok, but - who is 4th on our depth chart at RW?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ok, but - who is 4th on our depth chart at RW?

Weal.

The battle for 13th forward is pretty much between Hudon, Peca, and Weise, with an outside shot to guys like Varone or Barber.

• Upvote 1

I see there’s another Markov article up on TSN. Hopefully the Habs offseason doesn’t wind up with the team adding Pominville and Markov. :1vomit:  

I remember about half of Pominville’s points last year came during an October/November stretch when he was playing with Skinner and Eichel.

I do want Markov for the season - maybe ala Plekanec deal last year, where he gets his 1000th game, plays only if he earns a spot in the lineup, and retires a Hab 

• Upvote 1

PTOs are literally no risk 

The fact is that if these guys are as old and washed up as Don claims then the kids will easily beat them in camp. 

If the kids don't beat them out, then the kids aren't ready and they have something more to give. 

• Upvote 2