Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

We'll have some decent UFA money, but don't forget that with this young roster we need to keep some room for a few raises. Komi, for instance, is definitely going to need about 2 mil more per year pretty soon. I think a big reason that BG has spent much of his UFA money recently on 1 year K's for older players (e.g. Brisebois, Smoke) is to keep the cap room for RFAs.

Simonus is right. Not only will Komisarek expect a hefty raise next year, but so will Higgins, A. Kostitsyn, Latendresse, Plekanec. All these players can expect to double their salaries within the next 18 months.

:lol:

OMG so much for the lockout...

you dont say !! the only positive about the lockout was the lottery draft that gave us price !!

Pednault one time gave out pre-lim estimations during a Habs game and said next year it should go to like 55-57M$, the following season to like 60M$ and starting now in like 5 years he said the cap could hit 70M$!

SEVENTY FREAKIN' MILLION!

Pednault one time gave out pre-lim estimations during a Habs game and said next year it should go to like 55-57M$, the following season to like 60M$ and starting now in like 5 years he said the cap could hit 70M$!

SEVENTY FREAKIN' MILLION!

Sweet. So I guess tickets will be $1500 by then... for the nose-bleeds.

I've also heard the current estimate for next seasons Cap limit is $57 million...

I heard it was gonna be closer to 53.5 to 54 million$, not 57 million. That would be a 6.5 million$ increase in one year...it would be too much!

I heard it was gonna be closer to 53.5 to 54 million$, not 57 million. That would be a 6.5 million$ increase in one year...it would be too much!

Revenues are projected to top the number needed to increase the percentage the players get by 1% total (to I think 57 or 58% of revenues), so because of that extra bump the cap will go up significantly.

After that, who knows. The Canadian dollar rise has a fair amount to do with the cap rise. Some underperforming US markets might have to pick up the slack if the CDN dollar takes a downturn in that 5 year period to hit a $70m cap.... namely Los Angeles, Chicago, St. Louis, and Boston. Getting Detroit and Colorado back to 100% capacity would help stabalize revenue growth as well.

Expansion to some new US markets would actually likely decrease the cap under the current CBA terms.... which is another reason owners might vote for that.

Here's a cap stat for you... if the cap does go above $55m, the cap floor will be pretty much equal to the original cap ceiling of $39m... which was a grossly underestimated cap number, like how governments now practice the art of underestimating their own revenues to announce large surpluses in the second half of the fiscal year.

Revenues are projected to top the number needed to increase the percentage the players get by 1% total (to I think 57 or 58% of revenues), so because of that extra bump the cap will go up significantly.

After that, who knows. The Canadian dollar rise has a fair amount to do with the cap rise. Some underperforming US markets might have to pick up the slack if the CDN dollar takes a downturn in that 5 year period to hit a $70m cap.... namely Los Angeles, Chicago, St. Louis, and Boston. Getting Detroit and Colorado back to 100% capacity would help stabalize revenue growth as well.

Expansion to some new US markets would actually likely decrease the cap under the current CBA terms.... which is another reason owners might vote for that.

Here's a cap stat for you... if the cap does go above $55m, the cap floor will be pretty much equal to the original cap ceiling of $39m... which was a grossly underestimated cap number, like how governments now practice the art of underestimating their own revenues to announce large surpluses in the second half of the fiscal year.

Didn't the players agree to a $45M hard cap but the owners pushed for $39M with linkage

Bettman locked the sport down for a year to protect his precious expansion franchises, and now with the Canadian dollar at par and his revenue/cap link

he will end up killing them.

But his arrogant ass will never admit any type of miscalculation.

Didn't the players agree to a $45M hard cap but the owners pushed for $39M with linkage

Bettman locked the sport down for a year to protect his precious expansion franchises, and now with the Canadian dollar at par and his revenue/cap link

he will end up killing them.

But his arrogant ass will never admit any type of miscalculation.

The players offered a $49m hard cap but no other details were really put forward so it's hard to know how sincere either offer (the NHL's or PA's) was back in Feb '05. Personally, I think a lot of it was PR and neither side was ready to seriously negotiate.

I think it was expected to rise this quickly, and was set low at first. The reason being the owners had no idea how much damage to attendance the strike had caused. The answer was not much if any. Could easily be wrong but think it is plausible. Great call on Detroit and Colorado needing to get back on track. Detroit needs a new rink out of downtown. Lived there, just off Michigan and Junction for any in the know. Hispanic war zone. I understand why suburban families won't take the family out. Tiger Stadium was a walking distance from my house, but I would drive for piece of mind. They moved and so should the Wings. What do you do with Jersey and Washington. If Brodeur or Ovechkin can't fill your building every night you have a serious problem. Hope they stablize attendance in the current markets before they expand. Unless of course it is into the Euro/Russian market.

What do you do with Jersey and Washington. If Brodeur or Ovechkin can't fill your building every night you have a serious problem.

No kidding, let's not forget that the Devils just openned a brand new state of the art Arena in Newark. What a waste. the building is still half empty!

The players offered a $49m hard cap but no other details were really put forward so it's hard to know how sincere either offer (the NHL's or PA's) was back in Feb '05. Personally, I think a lot of it was PR and neither side was ready to seriously negotiate.

When half your teams are going to struggle with the minimum how have you solved your problems? How many teams are actually maxed out on the cap?

I am sure that if Bettman had told the owners who were spending $25M a season that they would have to spend $15M more just to reach the floor they wouldn't have been thrilled.

Now they are relying on a CDN $ that has reached 30 year highs to prop up teams that are not supporting their franchises.

Who is to say that this is not just like the 90s where expansion money flowed in and owners spent like drunken sailors.

Unfortunately we will never know the real numbers and fortunately the Canadiens are one of those teams benefitting from the increased $$.

Edited by Wamsley01

No kidding, let's not forget that the Devils just openned a brand new state of the art Arena in Newark. What a waste. the building is still half empty!

Well, maybe if the Devils' games didn't induce narcolepsy.

When half your teams are going to struggle with the minimum how have you solved your problems? How many teams are actually maxed out on the cap?

I am sure that if Bettman had told the owners who were spending $25M a season that they would have to spend $15M more just to reach the floor they wouldn't have been thrilled.

Now they are relying on a CDN $ that has reached 30 year highs to prop up teams that are not supporting their franchises.

Who is to say that this is not just like the 90s where expansion money flowed in and owners spent like drunken sailors.

Unfortunately we will never know the real numbers and fortunately the Canadiens are one of those teams benefitting from the increased $$.

I don't know how much they get in revenue sharing, but those teams should be getting plenty of money to help them reach that $38-$39m cap floor. No doubt a situation like Nashville has been in puts them in danger of not being viable anymore, but hey... if they can't compete with these favourable terms then that's the way the market has turned.

Paul Kelly seems to have gotten his head around this with his mention of wanting, if the league were to expand, another franchise in a revenue rich market in Canada... because if the NHL were to expand into Kansas City and Las Vegas, two markets which would be revenue challenged at least in the short term (and I'd argue KC would be a long term drag because it's frankly not a very big market and already has 2 major league sports competitors) would lower the cap league wide. Plus, there are no provisions in the CBA that allow the PA to collect a share of expansion fees.

Anyways, yes, it's nice to be one of the rich teams finally. Thank God Gillett got this team turned around.

Paul Kelly seems to have gotten his head around this with his mention of wanting, if the league were to expand, another franchise in a revenue rich market in Canada...

If you were to ask me, the only other Canadian market that could handle and make an NHL team

prosper is Hamilton. And that's because of it's close proximity to Toronto. Winnipeg might have been able to pull it off, but the idiots over there decided to build an arena that is 3,000 seats short of the minimum required to make some real money!

Québec City might have been able to pull it off as well, but they would have to build a brand New Colisée(at 200 million$ that they aren't willing to spend) and the corporate copmmunity in Q.C is almost non-existant. Sure they could sell out the seats to average's Joe's, but they'd be hard pressd to sell those Skyboxes at 150,000$-200,000$ per year.

Let's not forget that when the Jets and the Nords were still in the league, the average price of a ticket in Winnipeg and Q.C was probably around 40$. The average price of a ticket has more than doubled since then, would these two small cities still be able to comfortably support an NHL franchise?

Random thoughts on expansion:

I actually think that Ontario could support two more teams under current conditions...Hamilton and Kitchener-Waterloo. That's a rich, heavily-populated market full of hockey-crazed lunatics. The problem of course is the Toronto Badbeyondbeliefs, with their swinish insistence on monopoly, inexplicably catered to by what is laughably called the NHL braintrust.

Winnipeg and Quebec are dodgy bets because they're government towns with insufficient private capital to pay for all those luxury boxes. Especially if the dollar drops again. It's not the population numbers, but the big business-to-population ratio that's wrong there.

I wish someone would explain the logistics of a possible expansion to Europe. How many European markets are really viable NHL cities? How on earth would the travel schedule be made to work, without absolutely killing the teams involved?

And Jokinen? Don't hold your breath. And hell, we're #2 in the Conference. Who needs him ? :lol:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber