Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Wouldn't a $5.5m salary be based on a full year of service meaning he'd only earn half that if he signs at mid-season?

At this point, I'm pretty sure the money is not the primary motivation for Sundin...if he signs with a team mid-season there are very few teams with salary cap room AND a shot at winning which one would assume would be his primary goal if he returns to the NHL.

Yep, technically it'd be a $2.75m cap hit. So $1.9m current cap space + 1 roster player = room for Sundin at the mid-point.

Report: Canadiens interested in signing former Boston prospect Sergei Zinovjev

Because there's no transfer agreement, he can defect similar to the way Valentenko left for Russia.

Original Article

Translated Article

He's been very successful in Russia over the years, but a conflict with the coach has him on the bench now.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=51178

Boston just lost his rights this offseason as a Group III UFA.

Do you know anything else about him? How do those numbers stack up with the scoring leaders of the RSL?

That "trasnlation"'s very hard to make out.

last year he was 5th on AK-Bars, 21st in the RSL. Perezhogin was 10th, Yashin 9th.

He also played on last year's World Championship Russian team, scoring 6 points (1-5) with 12 PIMS in 9 games. The coaching staff must have had some confidence in him, as he played 16:31 per game; that ranked 4th on the team in forwards (ahead of players like Afinogenov and Kovalchuk.)

A couple of things would have to happen for any signing like this: Someone off the active roster would have to go (since they're carrying 23), and Zinovjev would have to clear waivers to join the team since he has played in Russia this season (Section 13.23 of the CBA.)

And as for the quality of the translation, what do you expect, it's Babelfish. :)

No chance he would start in Hamilton then? I don't see why we'd be interested in him unless it came after a trade.

He's 28, turning 29 in the new year. Can't see him looking at Hamilton as an option, even a temporary one, at all.

No chance he would start in Hamilton then? I don't see why we'd be interested in him unless it came after a trade.

There would be absolutely 0 chance of him going to Hamilton - the reason he's in Russia now is because he refused an assignment to Providence years ago - I don't think anything's changed.

Salary will also be a factor if and when this gets done. If he signs for the minimum or close to it, he'll never put on a Hab jersey as someone surely would scoop him off entry waivers. It'll need to be at least 1.5 (likely closer to 2) to make each party happy, and deter any other contending team from snagging him after the Habs do all the work. In that case, I'd look for a multi-year deal. Only thing I could see is that Zinovjev would become the 2nd or 3rd C and whoever's the odd man out is moved for a d-man. When you put it all together, seems to me it's a long shot at best.

Forget Zinovjev - bring on Sundin, between Kovalev and A Kost.

Gorges is our #4 d-man. Call up Weber (or Carle) to replace him at lower end of pairings.

O'Byrne and Plex traded for the cap room. To make money, you got to spend money.

if you trade pleks and O'Byrne, who's left when Bouillon, koivu, kovalev, tanguay, komisarek, kostopoulos, dandenault, brisebois, begin and Lang all leave ???

LOL! You expect all 10 unrestricted free agents to leave? ROTFL!

you expect all of them to stay ??

on that list so far I only want Kostopoulos and komisarek amd Tanguay to stay. the others I can do without.

Edited by marky_and_komi

Latendresse sur le marché? - CKAC radio link - Français

According to announcers at CKAC, Latendresse is currently being shopped for potentially a 4th d-man.

Hmmm? Sorry that there is no tranlation.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Forget Zinovjev - bring on Sundin, between Kovalev and A Kost.

Gorges is our #4 d-man. Call up Weber (or Carle) to replace him at lower end of pairings.

O'Byrne and Plex traded for the cap room. To make money, you got to spend money.

Plekanec is only a 1.6 million dollar cap hit and it would be dumb to trade him. Sundin, Koivu and Lang are all near the end of their careers and contracts, we'd be left with Chipchura, Maxwell, Lapierre and White down the middle. If anything - and this is also stupid - move Koivu to open up the capspace, but trading Plekanec will cripple us for years.

Latendresse sur le marché? - CKAC radio link - Français

According to announcers at CKAC, Latendresse is currently being shopped for potentially a 4th d-man.

Hmmm? Sorry that there is no tranlation.

It depends what they mean by #4 defenseman. If it means another Gorges then I say no, even though Gorges has far more value to our team for the present than Lats does. But if it means getting Ohlund or Bouwmeester as a rental than I am at least intrigued... but ultimately, no - Lats is playing well and is are only fourth line guy that has the offensive upside to play on the top 2 lines when we need him to. I don't think Gainey is all too serious about shopping him around.

Plekanec is only a 1.6 million dollar cap hit and it would be dumb to trade him. Sundin, Koivu and Lang are all near the end of their careers and contracts, we'd be left with Chipchura, Maxwell, Lapierre and White down the middle. If anything - and this is also stupid - move Koivu to open up the capspace, but trading Plekanec will cripple us for years.

It depends what they mean by #4 defenseman. If it means another Gorges then I say no, even though Gorges has far more value to our team for the present than Lats does. But if it means getting Ohlund or Bouwmeester as a rental than I am at least intrigued... but ultimately, no - Lats is playing well and is are only fourth line guy that has the offensive upside to play on the top 2 lines when we need him to. I don't think Gainey is all too serious about shopping him around.

Well, I've long warned against giving up on Lats too soon - he is years away from his prime. If Bob decides to move him, I'll trust the judgement of him and his people, but I'd still be nervous that we're tossing away a future top-6 power forward - that rare commodity that we've needed so badly for so long.

The good news, if this rumour is true, is that Bob agrees with most people around here about the team's need for a 4th defenceman. I know this has come up before, but Minny has such a surplus on the back end that they're playing Brent Burns as a forward. Marc-André Bergeron has a cannon of a shot - or at least he used to - and when used on the PP seems to deliver. He might make a nice Streit-replacement...but not in return for Lats.

Life would be much simpler if we just sign Sundin, though. ^_^

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

you expect all of them to stay ??

on that list so far I only want Kostopoulos and komisarek amd Tanguay to stay. the others I can do without.

How do you expect to replace all those guys? 7 guys is A LOT to replace via free agency and upcoming prospects. They'd essentially be entering yet another rebuilding process if they let that many guys go.

I listened to the audio clip, it is only Michele Villeneuve the host of the show speaking to Bergeron and Demers and claiming he has information that Latendress is being shopped around the league. I do not have any reason to believe this guy, in my opinion he has zero credibility. He is angry that Latenderess is not playing on the first line with Koivu so he throws this rumor out there to get people to talk. So Bergeron and Demers talk about the use of Latendress by his coach and ask the question is he being shopped. Demers said if he was being shopped he would have been placed on the Koivu line to showcase his talents.

Plex is one of the last guys I'd trade.

If Koivu and Lang leave at the end of the season, we have Laps, Chips, UFA/Prospect, UFA/Prospect up the middle.

Ouch...

I'd say keep Plex and Koivu, let go Lang and then save money for a good Dman. So you have Koivu Plex, Laps, Chips and...........

Lehoux? Anyone see him play?? 25pts in 22GP +6, and few PIM.

Edited by MMPL

OK, don't trade Plex then. I'm still not sold on him being a #1 ctr, though. Like Koivu, should be a #2 - unless you roll 3 solid attacking lines and the 4th can chip in as well (like how the team is set up now). My Plex trade was just a Sundin-fitting move, more video game stuff.

But give Gorges a run as the 4th D, irregardless of other moves / non-moves. Bump O'Byrne down to the last pairing.

Of this list

Bouillon, koivu, kovalev, tanguay, komisarek, kostopoulos, dandenault, brisebois, begin and Lang

I'd try to bring back Tanguay, Komi, Kosto and Lang, maybe Begin too, hoping that either D'Agostini or someone else (Pacioretty?), plus an improved showing by the Kost bros and Latendresse, can alleviate Kovalev.

don't forget that next year we can hope to see Pacioretty get a cup of coffee in the NHL. Also, Fischer and McDonagh (and maybe Emelin?) might be in Hamilton and Weber will probably make the pro roster.

Yeah I agree with all of those. Maybe add Chips to the pro club and Missaen (that huge goalie) to hamilton.

I'd also give Stewart a good shot at cracking the Habs 4th line, he leads the dogs in PIM and has 6 goals. Pretty good grinder.

Edited by MMPL

OK, don't trade Plex then. I'm still not sold on him being a #1 ctr, though. Like Koivu, should be a #2 - unless you roll 3 solid attacking lines and the 4th can chip in as well (like how the team is set up now). My Plex trade was just a Sundin-fitting move, more video game stuff.

But give Gorges a run as the 4th D, irregardless of other moves / non-moves. Bump O'Byrne down to the last pairing.

Of this list

Bouillon, koivu, kovalev, tanguay, komisarek, kostopoulos, dandenault, brisebois, begin and Lang

I'd try to bring back Tanguay, Komi, Kosto and Lang, maybe Begin too, hoping that either D'Agostini or someone else (Pacioretty?), plus an improved showing by the Kost bros and Latendresse, can alleviate Kovalev.

You'd bring back Lang over Koivu?

How do you expect to replace all those guys? 7 guys is A LOT to replace via free agency and upcoming prospects. They'd essentially be entering yet another rebuilding process if they let that many guys go.

Well it could very well happen if Gainey doesn't sign a few guys early.

I feel that some players may want to become free agents. I fear that montreal becomes the montreal Bulldogs next year.

some players are becoming older and I think it'd be time to go younger.

Lang=chipchura

Begin=Stewart or some free agent pluggers.

Brisebois=carle/weber

Bouillon: could be signed at a lower price or maybe Emelin

Dandenault=D'Agostini

Kovalev: free agent

Tanguay-koivu-komisarek: sign them if price is good but I doubt it.

Let's remember that the reason we draft players is to take place of overaged/expensive players.