Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

As long as we're trading for older Habs, can we convince Desjardins out of retirement? John Leclair? I'm sure they'd do better than a couple of the stiffs we have now.

When the trade happened, I did think to myself... why couldn't Desjardins be the one that's still playing? Carbo, Damphousse, Muller and Desjardins were huge favs of mine from that era. I also liked Schneider, and was a huge Chelios fan, but we have our favourites.

Desjardins was actually courted by Gainey back in 2006 but he decided to retire instead. I guess his revenge on Montreal was not only all the success he had post-trade (coupled with Montreal's misery), but making Bob think he needed to acquire Janne Niinimaa.

Higgins + Plekanec + Kovalev would free 7.5M

Just enough to clear some room for Lecavalier.

let's get it done Bob

Lecavalier with some AHLers as wingers is 3 x as good as that whole underachieving line we'd be shipping. :P

you all must think I'm joking... and you are partly right.

yes this is a whole lot.

yes those are cheap players who might be the future of this franchise... but we've got a ton of players in the same mold. Maxwell is a Plekanec in the making, D'Agostini is not worse than Higgins. Max Pax projects to be better or at least more complete than both players, etc.

yes, those guys have done a lot for us in the past...

but picture this :

Wouldn't :

A

Tanguay Lecavalier A. Kost

d'Agost Koivu Max Pax

S. Kost Lapierre Latendresse

(or something like that, it could vary)

be way way way way way better than :

B

Higgins Koivu Tanguay

A. Kost Plekanec Kovalev

Max Pax Lapierre Latendresse / d'Agost / S. Kost

Even if we have to add a 1st rounder and a guy like David Fischer or what not... AT one time, a franchise must stop piling up prospects and 2nd line players... and go for the Homerun!!

DO IT BOB

DO IT

EDIT : I'd even throw Halak and a dozen of Theodore's Upper Deck rookie cards with team Canada, graded Mint by a non-official grader.

I wouldn't object to that trade, but the problem is that Tampa (reportedly) is shopping for a top pair NHL dman who is at that level now. (we're talking markov or komisarek). so the question is whether you want Vinny so bad that you'd give up one of those two.

Whatever BG does or doesn't do by the trade deadline, may not be a key to next year's season. VL no trade clause starts July 1st i beleive.

Plus BG has a huge amount of UFA's he doesn't have to resign. Arguably Kosto has earned another deal. Komi i am up in the air about, if no Komi means Boumeester, i will get over it.

So he can pick and chose his roster as he wants it. Pacioretty, D'Agi, Kosty bros, Laps, Lats will still be around.

Tanguay is younger and on a pretty good point pace before his injuries.

The D has Gorges, Markov, Hamrlik O'Byrne signed i beleive, Emelin coming over i hope.

So in reality he has alot of trade options for the stretch run and the offseason.

On a side note, does anyone have the NHL package? They just changes soem of the viewing now i don't get any canadien only feeds. It's just the amarican teams and hockey night in canada saurday nights. I didn't get the Vancouver habs game. Anyone having the same problem?

Whatever BG does or doesn't do by the trade deadline, may not be a key to next year's season. VL no trade clause starts July 1st i beleive.

Plus BG has a huge amount of UFA's he doesn't have to resign. Arguably Kosto has earned another deal. Komi i am up in the air about, if no Komi means Boumeester, i will get over it.

So he can pick and chose his roster as he wants it. Pacioretty, D'Agi, Kosty bros, Laps, Lats will still be around.

Tanguay is younger and on a pretty good point pace before his injuries.

The D has Gorges, Markov, Hamrlik O'Byrne signed i beleive, Emelin coming over i hope.

So in reality he has alot of trade options for the stretch run and the offseason.

On a side note, does anyone have the NHL package? They just changes soem of the viewing now i don't get any canadien only feeds. It's just the amarican teams and hockey night in canada saurday nights. I didn't get the Vancouver habs game. Anyone having the same problem?

Sidenote answer: I got the "Canucks TV" feed on C e n t e r Ice here. I think it was on channel 490 (Comcast) and not the normal 460 level channels.

As far as who is being moved and where...I have no clue. Never have when it came to Gainey making moves. He acquired Schneider, has sent down O'Byrne and SKost. Who knows what'll happen next. probably be another anti-climactic ride to the trade deadline.

I'm not going to get too excited until Koivu gets his walking papers...

...which should definitely happen if they get Lecavalier, because lord knows the masses will want Vinny to be captain :D

I'm not going to get too excited until Koivu gets his walking papers...

...which should definitely happen if they get Lecavalier, because lord knows the masses will want Vinny to be captain :D

The captain is not the coward who left the boat because his skills alone cannot make the difference

on the ice.

The captain will be on the ice in Washington fighting for the Habs hopes for playoffs, the artist will watch the game at home.

Still no player on that team is an untouchable.

I did not believe the Lecavalier talks at first but now i would be willing to

Let Kovy go for a high draft pick hopefully a first rounder.

Include that draft pick in the Markov- Price -Plekanek deal.

I would insist on having (G)Mike Smith as a part of the deal.

Sending Markov AND Price? And Plekanec + a 1(2)st rounder? No offence to Vinny but he is soon 30 years old. For that package I want someone of the same caliber but at least 5 years younger.

A second rounder is the most we can get for Kovalev.

Lecavalier, Smith and hopeful wish Artyukin.

Schneider was put on waivers before he was traded and you think he has the same value as Kovalev? As bad as Kovy has been, he's still got a lot more trade value than Schneider.

Kovalev definitley has more trade value, and another thing that other GMs like.......an expiring contract.

Incidentally, we probably shouldn't get too down ok Eklund quite so often since he called both Schneider to Montreal late last calendar year and indicated that there were talks of Lecavalier to Montreal as well. Spot on with both rumours.

Incidentally, we probably shouldn't get too down ok Eklund quite so often since he called both Schneider to Montreal late last calendar year and indicated that there were talks of Lecavalier to Montreal as well. Spot on with both rumours.

Yeh, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. I think they were fairly safe rumours to circulate.

Schneider was put on waivers before he was traded and you think he has the same value as Kovalev? As bad as Kovy has been, he's still got a lot more trade value than Schneider.

Same value as when we got him, if not more

cause since then, he's got a 82 pts season and has proven he can get it going in playoffs.

when we got him, we gave up our "BEST" prospect (Sather had the choice between almost anywho on our farm and chose Balej, he could have picked Plekanec among others ) along with a 2nd rounder.

So, IF IF IF IF IF we are to trade him (doubtful IMO, BG wanna see how it goes... and hopefully, Kovalev is gonna be shocked and if he plays Saturday, will wanna prove something... -> which will also prove that Gainey was right to sit him :P)

I'm thinking we get a kind of d'Agostini or Maxwell along with a pick... which we can redirect towards something helpful right now :)

Burke last night on tv said he wasn't going to move Kaberle or Schenn. Everyone else was up for grabs.

Unless someone offered him 10 first rounders or something crazy like that.

Bah, Burke has no credibility with comments like this IMO. The guy is a windbag who likes to hear his voice in the media.

Bah, Burke has no credibility with comments like this IMO. The guy is a windbag who likes to hear his voice in the media.

yeah he really has a huge crush on Brian burke !!

Here's Spector's note on the Kovalev soap opera. I love that guy (spector). I may secretely have a mancrush on him.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: I doubt very much that sending Kovalev home - which was better than banishing him to the press box - would affect any trade value he has. Everyone with eyes who've followed the Canadiens knew Kovalev wasn't producing so this move by Gainey does absolutely nothing to impact his trade value.

It seems unlikely Gainey will find any takers for Kovalev if he is/was shopping him, but then again he did manage to move an underachieving overpaid Jose Theodore three years ago, so anything is possible. If Kovalev is dealt between now and March 4th I wouldn't expect the Canadiens to get much back in return, probably at best a second round draft pick. At this point I think most Habs fans would be thrilled with that.

One thing is certain: Gainey isn't done shaking up this roster, not by a long shot. Telling Kovalev to go home, banishing an underachieving Sergei Kostitsyn to the minors and acquiring veteran blueliner Mathieu Schneider is just the beginning. More moves are in store if this team continues to struggle as it has over the past month.

Appearing on other numerous boards - Kovy traded to Columbus. Keep your ears open. PECA & PICARD FOR KOVALEV AND PROSPECT

BEWARE IT IS A RUMOUR

I just got out of a chat with a Jackets beat writer and he hadn't even heard Kovalev's name mentioned in Columbus. Kovalev for Peca and Picard is not good return, and no way the Habs have to add anything in such a deal. How absurd.