Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

If Dandy is getting traded, then yes we will need another d-man up. Bouillon is out for 4 weeks so if Dandy was dealt we would be short a d-man.

Sucks for O'Byrne. If it's a serious injury, maybe another guy will come available via waivers or a small trade. What's Todd Simpson up to these days? :lol:

Daniel Trajnqvist, maybe? Someone with a low cap hit as a just in case/guy that might be better than Breeze.

For a playoff run, you should be able to go 9-10 deep on D in a pinch. Anything beyond that and you're probably screwed anyways (remember Buffalo v. Carolina in the 2006 ECF where Buffalo had 5 regular D injured?).

If you want to go deep in the playoffs, having some extra D with NHL experience is key. Guys are going to be sacraficing their body more often in the playoffs (e.g. blocking shots). Chances of injuries occuring on the back end are certainly increased by this. So I have to agree that we need 9-10 defensemen available.

Okay guys well Dandenault to Detroit for a 5th is supposed to be confirmed by today.

Meanwhile, Team 990's claiming we're hot on the pursuit of Morris but their trade proposal doesn't really make no sense so I don't trust it (I do think we're after Morris though).

Okay guys well Dandenault to Detroit for a 5th is supposed to be confirmed by today.

Meanwhile, Team 990's claiming we're hot on the pursuit of Morris but their trade proposal doesn't really make no sense so I don't trust it (I do think we're after Morris though).

What is Morris' cap hit?

What is Morris' cap hit?

3.95M, UFA after the season.

The rumour on Team 990 was O'Byrne + a 2010 2nd but that's a lot to give for a guy that's publicly holding out for a trade. I don't really believe it.

I'd love this as well as others who have posted. Imagine this D?

Markov-Schneider

Morris-Komisarek

Hamrlik-Gorges

Bouillon-Brisebois.

I prefer Pronger but Morris should be easier to get.

yeah, but one thing, Morris < Gorges < Harmlik

Source?

Where did you hear/read that Dandenault was taded to Detroit for a 5th?

It's an interesting situation when a team adds two (arguably) top-4 defencemen at the deadline. It amounts to a confession that the team wasn't a contender at the start of the season, despite all the hype.

Morris would be a good pickup, I guess, but - not to be obsessive or anything - Jokinen solves all sorts of problems, not just for this season but going forward. IF Pheonix moves him and it's not to us, I will be very disappointed.

It's an interesting situation when a team adds two (arguably) top-4 defencemen at the deadline. It amounts to a confession that the team wasn't a contender at the start of the season, despite all the hype.

You could see it that way, or you could see it as a confession that O' Byrne's development was a little slower than expected, that one of your injured d-men (Komisarek) is struggling after his return, that you have injuries (Frankie B and now O' Byrne) and that your insurance policy (Dandy) wants out of town. Besides, it doesnt really matter if the team was contender at the start of the season or no; it matters if they are a contender in the playoffs.

I don't understand all of this "we are no longer a contender, this season is a wash" crap all of a sudden. Last I checked, we are on a 4 game winning streak, firmly in a play off spot and one point out of home ice advantage. What's wrong with that?

I don't understand all of this "we are no longer a contender, this season is a wash" crap all of a sudden. Last I checked, we are on a 4 game winning streak, firmly in a play off spot and one point out of home ice advantage. What's wrong with that?

Well, you're right, I may just be demoralized. It's the fact that we're giving up 40+ shots a night and being dominated for long stretches, which did NOT routinely happen before the slump, that's got me down. That and the awful slump itself of course, along with the Lang injury.

Of course, there's lots of time to straighten things out. The return of Tanguay and (yes) Latendresse will be huge for our overall game. Hammer and Komi getting healthy would be huge too, although it can't be taken for granted that that will happen before the playoffs. Honestly, though, can you look at a team on which Plekanec and Koivu are your key tandem at centre, your star goalie has been temporarily usurped after looking like a beer-league reject for a sustained period of time, where your main shutdown D-men (Hammer and Komi) have been substandard all season, and where you're counting on the ineffable duo of Kovalev and Kostitsyn for substantial offence in the clutch - can you look at all that and say: contender? Do you really see us beating Boston, or (gulp) New Jersey, let alone Detroit or San Jose, in a seven-game series? Why?

I'll grant that stranger things have happened. There's still talent there (although Lang was key). Still, I look at what I thought of this team going into this season, and where these players have taken it - it IS demoralizing. We've gone from being considered as likely as anyone to come out of the East to being a team that hangs on by the skin of its teeth, and the acrobatics of a hot goalie, to escape obliteration by Philly (!) and San Jose. We shouldn't be the underdogs going into games like that. We are. And that's a bummer.

umm, we are giving up 40+ shots a game and have had our goalie bail us out every one of those games. The defense has been useless to non-existant.

umm, we are giving up 40+ shots a game and have had our goalie bail us out every one of those games. The defense has been useless to non-existant.

I'll have to agree that we have not looked strong this year. I've watched every game and have to admit I've been looking for the team that looked so good on paper at the start of the year. With the way the NHL is now, it's about getting hot at the right time. With injuries I don't think we've iced that team we thought we had yet, running on all cylinders.

While I don't like what I've seen so far if we can get confident and a few teams like Florida can knock out The B's and have San Jose choke in the west we may put together a 93 type cup run. In hindsight many talk about what a power house the 93 team was. I disagree. It was a team much like this one. It had a few lucky eliminations and then got hot at the right time and very lucky while standing confidently on top of very hot goaltending.

This is what keeps my hopes alive that we can still do it this year. But for now we still might not even make the play-offs. Game by game for now boys and as Saku once said, "let's get to the play-offs and then anything can happen"

I'll have to agree that we have not looked strong this year. I've watched every game and have to admit I've been looking for the team that looked so good on paper at the start of the year. With the way the NHL is now, it's about getting hot at the right time. With injuries I don't think we've iced that team we thought we had yet, running on all cylinders.

While I don't like what I've seen so far if we can get confident and a few teams like Florida can knock out The B's and have San Jose choke in the west we may put together a 93 type cup run. In hindsight many talk about what a power house the 93 team was. I disagree. It was a team much like this one. It had a few lucky eliminations and then got hot at the right time and very lucky while standing confidently on top of very hot goaltending.

This is what keeps my hopes alive that we can still do it this year. But for now we still might not even make the play-offs. Game by game for now boys and as Saku once said, "let's get to the play-offs and then anything can happen"

86 the stars were also alligned. But even if we don't face a powerhouse, every game is tough in the playoffs. Gaffs like Komi and Hammer are making will cost us dearly. Koivu always shows up for the playoffs, soo I'm not worried about him.

Edited by BCHabnut

Well, you're right, I may just be demoralized. It's the fact that we're giving up 40+ shots a night and being dominated for long stretches, which did NOT routinely happen before the slump, that's got me down. That and the awful slump itself of course, along with the Lang injury.

Of course, there's lots of time to straighten things out. The return of Tanguay and (yes) Latendresse will be huge for our overall game. Hammer and Komi getting healthy would be huge too, although it can't be taken for granted that that will happen before the playoffs. Honestly, though, can you look at a team on which Plekanec and Koivu are your key tandem at centre, your star goalie has been temporarily usurped after looking like a beer-league reject for a sustained period of time, where your main shutdown D-men (Hammer and Komi) have been substandard all season, and where you're counting on the ineffable duo of Kovalev and Kostitsyn for substantial offence in the clutch - can you look at all that and say: contender? Do you really see us beating Boston, or (gulp) New Jersey, let alone Detroit or San Jose, in a seven-game series? Why?

I'll grant that stranger things have happened. There's still talent there (although Lang was key). Still, I look at what I thought of this team going into this season, and where these players have taken it - it IS demoralizing. We've gone from being considered as likely as anyone to come out of the East to being a team that hangs on by the skin of its teeth, and the acrobatics of a hot goalie, to escape obliteration by Philly (!) and San Jose. We shouldn't be the underdogs going into games like that. We are. And that's a bummer.

These are all things that have gone wrong mid-season. If they can be resolved by the playoffs, I definitely think we're a contending team.

Last season, we won the East and I considered us contenders then. I didn't think they'd win but they had a chance. Then we added Lang, Tanguay and Laraque and really looked like one of the Cup favourites for the 08-09 season. We were also hoping for some improvement from our younger players (which never came) and the same production from our PP (which left with Streit).

Since then, tons of different things have gone wrong: injuries, slumps, scandals. But - we've added Schneider; the PP is fixed. Plekanec, Kostitsyn and Kovalev are coming out of their slumps; the totally useless offense is fixed (I believe it's 7th in the league actually). For the moment, the goaltending issue is fixed while Halak steals games but we're still waiting for Price to come back to form. All of our problems are things that went wrong in middle of the season, not holes that we started the year with. Now that we're breaking out of our slump, some of these problems are going away. If we can forget about everything that's happened and just remember where we were at the start of the year, we're in business.

Factor in the Begin for Metropolit and Janik trade, and the emergence of D'agostini, Pacioretty and Lapierre (and the emergence of some speed for Lats) and I think that, when players get healthy and slumps end, we're actually a better team than we were at the start of the year. And we were contenders then, weren't we?

And THEN remember that we still have three more days in which a significant addition is possible, if not likely.

On paper, we're set and can definitely take on the other good teams in the East. The question is whether we can get over all of our issues and remember that we're a top team.

I don't know if we're capable of winning a round or two handily. I think the winners have usually cruised through a round or two early that helps them a lot down the stretch (4 or 5 game series). After that, it's as much about health as it is execution, and of course goaltending.

We have a team that is capable, but unlikely to come out on top. It's why I advocate making moves that will help the team not just this year, but in future years rather than more pure rentals.

We can't tell, really.

Tanguay was our best player at the start of the season... he's out.

Lats Lapierre and Kosto was our best game for almost a dozen of games... Lats is out.

Komisarek is playing injured, I'm sure. His play is inconsistent during the game , which imo is related to feeling pain from time to time. I also noticed that when he's hit hard, he'll seem more shaken than usual and play a little like crap following that hit.

If he's back 100% for the playoffs, that could be cool.

Koivu and Kovalev always love the 1st round. They'll win us at least one round. For the rest, it depends on how focused the team is, and on the above mentionned factors + Price coming back to his godly status.

They haven't made the playoffs yet first of all. So it makes no difference what players do in the first round if they can't make the playoffs.

The habs will get crushed if they match up against the Bruins, Devils. If the D zone doesn't get any better the Capitals will bomb them as well.

So the players, who play on this team after Wed really need to step it up.

11 wins should be a lock. Do they have 11 in them is the question

They haven't made the playoffs yet first of all. So it makes no difference what players do in the first round if they can't make the playoffs.

The habs will get crushed if they match up against the Bruins, Devils. If the D zone doesn't get any better the Capitals will bomb them as well.

So the players, who play on this team after Wed really need to step it up.

11 wins should be a lock. Do they have 11 in them is the question

they cant miss the playoffs, only crap teams are from 9-15 this year... usually, there is a strong contender, but not this year.

Buffalo is totally depleted (Miller, Vanek)

To will deplete itself on its own by the deadline.

and Carolina sucks.

Koivu and Kovalev always love the 1st round. They'll win us at least one round.

Not if they play the Devils in the first round!

Carolina sucks? Aren't they only a few points behind the habs? The habs aren't that much better. They'll have there chance to prove they are a playoff team.

Don't let the 4 game win streak fool you, they were outplayed significantly in all of those games. Halak stole the show, the goalies won't last on 40 shots a night.

Not new thread worthy so I thought I would just pop it in here. During a skating drill today Komi and Laps got into it. No big deal of course, apparently Laps cooked Komi a well done steak when Komi asked for medium rare last night. Nice to see there is intensity at practice.

O.K back to rumors.

Not new thread worthy so I thought I would just pop it in here. During a skating drill today Komi and Laps got into it. No big deal of course, apparently Laps cooked Komi a well done steak when Komi asked for medium rare last night. Nice to see there is intensity at practice.

O.K back to rumors.

:blink:

:blink:

I know, but that was the answer Lappy gave the media when asked why they had a tussle. Oddly enough when Komi was asked the same question he sounded annoyed and then just seemed to walk away. I don't know if he walked away but you could just hear room chatter and he never really ended the interview. Anyways I'm sure it was no big deal.