Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

The question then becomes, is a Bouwemeister-type player out there next year, even when teams are possibly trimming their rosters because of the cap? He's got fantastic potential, and we can compliment him with our players now; plus a d coach or better d strategy doesn't count against the almighty cap.

Conversely, do you believe (you in general, not specifically targeted at Wamsley) that after next year our d prospects will be matured enough that signing Boowmeister now is a panic move? He might not be all that many think he is, playing in a high-pressure environment night it, night out.

Glad I'm not the GM. But I'd take a strong look at him; and for sure I'd go hard after Beauchemin once the bidding for Komi reaches 5-per, which it will. Plus, I think building a rock-solid d corps now, whether Beauchemin, Bouwmeisster or both (assuming we lose Komisarek) will entice forwards to us next year, instead of them coming into a mess of a team with glaring weaknesses everywhere.

Anyway, by the time their four-year deals run out, PK 'Bobby Orr' Subban, Alexi 'Scott Stevens' Emelin and Ryan 'Larry Robinson' McDonagh should be ready to run roughshod over the league.

I like Bouwmeester but ONE time in the last 13 years has he guided a team to the playoffs. Is that a difference maker?

Has he really played on a 12 teams that were so poor that he could not make the playoffs?

I will pass on the UFAs this off season. Build from within and make your move next summer.

IMO

If Komi goes and we're looking for a cheaper replacement, apart from Beauchemin, I suggest Johnny Oduya.

If Komi goes and we're looking for a cheaper replacement, apart from Beauchemin, I suggest Johnny Oduya.

I'd sign him based on his name alone.

I like Bouwmeester but ONE time in the last 13 years has he guided a team to the playoffs. Is that a difference maker?

Has he really played on a 12 teams that were so poor that he could not make the playoffs?

I will pass on the UFAs this off season. Build from within and make your move next summer.

IMO

Not too many d-men under 25 are the reason their teams make the playoffs or not.

Yeah, apparently he's willing to leave money on the Florida table to coach us, and we are very interested - all according to RDS.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/275723.html

I know what you mean Wamsley; I'm thinking more potential than results, which of course can be countered with we have possible better potential in the minors.

Oduya is an ass-kicker I'd love to see with us.

was expecting that...

good things and bad things.

the good :

he can COACH and TEACH. If Ottawa crafted so many good players, it was not only because of luck and good drafting, teaching and coaching had a lot to do in that.

the bad:

he's a frikkin boring coach. games end up 1-0.

+ Oduya is swedish. It's a plus value these days. And he can skate and make a first pass in the same sequence.

Jacques Martin!?!

I can see the positives - French, long-established, good teacher, very strong systems/tactics guy; he will provide ALL the structure that our game has been missing and then some. I don't care about the 'boring' factor. I want WINS. He can provide those.

But I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the big, glaring negative here, which is his track record of horrendous playoff failure. Martin's biggest 'success' was with a talented, Euro-heavy team that evolved into a regular-season leader but was far too soft physically and psychologically to succeed in the playoffs. In fact it had a habit of playing heartless, gutless no-shows in pivotal games, perhaps partly due to his unemotional, systems-heavy coaching style.

Even the 2008-09 Habs showed unnerving signs of being the Ottawa Senators Redux. Do we really want to go further and hire the coach who masterminded the organizational identity of the Ottawa Senators?

Just asking.

This hiring could suggest one of two things. One is that Bob believes Martin has learned from his failures in Ottawa and now understands how to take a team to that next level. If so, great. The other is that Bob sees the Habs as still very much in a rebuilding phase - and therefore he is looking simply to establish a sound foundation and regular season excellence, and will worry about playoff excellence somewhere down the road. In other words, he sees our situation as something like that which the Sens faced when Martin took the helm there. If so, ouch!

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

The Sens were also chronically young in Martin's day. They were a low payroll team that was weak down the middle... Radek Bonk was their #1 centre. They also had no confidence in their goaltending. Alfredsson, Hossa, and Havlat have since excorcised some of their playoff demons, which I think mainly comes with age, not with no Martin.

Martin does seem to lack a personality at times, though.

I heard on the radio this Morning that apparently the asking price for the Habs is in the neighborhood of 600 million$!!!!!!

I wonder how much truth there is to that "rumour"??

Edited by Habsfan

High fives all around! This is awesome news. Hartley was a good candidate and has had more playoff success but Martin is a much better candidate IMO. His appointment would also probably do wonders for Price's confidence.

How would his appointment be good for Price?

5 new defensemen would probably help him out more then a coach.

Martin really hasn't accomplished anything, i hope that rumor isn't true.

Man, his teams in Florida were painful to watch.

How would his appointment be good for Price?

5 new defensemen would probably help him out more then a coach.

Martin really hasn't accomplished anything, i hope that rumor isn't true.

Man, his teams in Florida were painful to watch.

On paper our D is great. But our team defense and defensive system is awful - maybe bottom 3 in the league last year. No goaltender is going to succeed under those conditions. A defensive coach like Lemaire or Martin is exactly what a young, struggling goaltender like Price needs. It might not make him better. But I bet his stats will be better, that he'll regain some confidence and that the team will win more games.

I bet right now that if we hire Martin, we'll be able to downgrade Komi to Oduya or Beauchemin and our D will improve drastically next season.

On paer the D is great? Only markov resembles an NHL Dman.

I don't care what Komi did 2 years ago, last year he sucked. Same with Hamrlik.

Gorges is fine on the bottom pairing.

Schneider has a good shot but he was minus 19 or something in 6 weeks with the habs.

The D is slow, soft and can't win any battles. You may be correct that coaching may help, but winning battles comes from inside.

Of course it matters what they did two years ago. Hamrlik and Komisarek have had great careers up until last season and now they can be judged solely on their most recent performance? At the very least, they're both second pairing d-men. Schneider (if he's back) and Gorges are solid for the bottom pairing. Really, we're just one top 4 d-man short.

Well we can agree to disagree. I just don't see it.

I think you are the only one! To completely negate what a player has done throughout his entire career just because of one season is short-sighted of you. There's no reason why Komi can,t come back even better(especially seeing as that he's approaching his PRIME years!) and Hamrlik can also get back to the simple yet effective game he played for us in 07-08. Ad Markov and you are only missing 1 top 4 d-man.

Are you guys talking about the dman selected on the first All-Star team this year? ;)

Komi is a great team player and has a lot of character. He'll rebound and continue his progession. It's not because Lucic has his number than Komi is a loser. Kudos to Lucic. Komi is an elite dman nonetheless, and would be very difficult to replace.

Would love to see next year Markov, Bouwm, Komi, Hamrlik, Schneider, Emelin/Weber

Anyone who doesn't think Komi is a major top-4 defenceman is out of their minds. The question isn't that, it's whether we should get into a bidding war to keep him. And the answer to that is almost certainly 'no.'

What we really need on D is a second Markov - our own equivalent to the Lidstrom-Rafalski one-two punch on Detroit. That's why I go cowabunga over the idea of Bouwmeester, but that, too, is likely to prove ridiculously expensive. (I still think that might be a rare case of a UFA being worth the money, though. He's not even 27, and his offensive numbers have likely been artificially delfated by the near-total lack of offensive talent in Florida. Nonetheless, those like Wamsley who argue for the Habs toughing out 2010 and pouncing when teams start to shed salary under a shrinking cap make a good point).

Much also hinges on Hamrlik. His poor season last year was an absolute key to the dismal team performance. One good thing about the Martin hiring is that players like him are apt to look a whole lot better. Even if we re-sign all the same players, I would not be shocked if we find ourselves asking whether these were the same guys who looked like decapitated chickens in 2009.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Anyone who doesn't think Komi is a major top-4 defenceman is out of their minds. The question isn't that, it's whether we should get into a bidding war to keep him. And the answer to that is almost certainly 'no.'

What we really need on D is a second Markov - our own equivalent to the Lidstrom-Rafalski one-two punch on Detroit. That's why I go cowabunga over the idea of Bouwmeester, but that, too, is likely to prove ridiculously expensive. (I still think that might be a rare case of a UFA being worth the money, though. He's not even 27, and his offensive numbers have likely been artificially delfated by the near-total lack of offensive talent in Florida. Nonetheless, those like Wamsley who argue for the Habs toughing out 2010 and pouncing when teams start to shed salary under a shrinking cap make a good point).

Much also hinges on Hamrlik. His poor season last year was an absolute key to the dismal team performance. One good thing about the Martin hiring is that players like him are apt to look a whole lot better. Even if we re-sign all the same players, I would not be shocked if we find ourselves asking whether these were the same guys who looked like decapitated chickens in 2009.

Does anyone know how the relationship between Bouwmeester and Martin was during his tenure in Florida? If they had a good relationship, it might give us the inside track in signing him...