Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

The Sedins are certainly worth $5+ mil per year, but 12 years is ridiculous for players about to turn 30. 8 years at $5.5 mil, now you're talking. I would do that without hesitation.

Crazy term-lengths seem to be the new flavour in the NHL. I understand players wanting that kind of security and wealth, but sooner or later teams are going to be forced to send name players down to the minors just to clear cap space. And I'm not sure a 38-year-old Daniel Sedin is going to be too happy riding the iron lung. And it won't be a pretty sight when this starts to happen regularly.

A truly wise player would think ahead and request long contracts but not ridiculous ones.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

The Sedins want 12 year, 63 million dollar contracts each.

I,m sure their playoffs credentials are enough for them to get that money :unsure:

I want that too. :clap:

:lol:

The Sedins want 12 year, 63 million dollar contracts each.

TSN is using a report that is awfully similar to the one they used for the "Kovalev getting $6m, captaincy" story... it's from a website in Sweden not known for extreme accuracy. There was a report out of Vancouver just a week or so ago that had the Sedins seeking shorter term, 5 year deals for an insane $40m each.

lappy is 35 y old.

on some nights lapierre laraque and neil could do bad ass !!!

:huh:

TSN is using a report that is awfully similar to the one they used for the "Kovalev getting $6m, captaincy" story... it's from a website in Sweden not known for extreme accuracy. There was a report out of Vancouver just a week or so ago that had the Sedins seeking shorter term, 5 year deals for an insane $40m each.

I heard a couple of weeks ago that the Sedins were rumoured to be after 5M x 10 years.

i hated neil with the sens. but put him on a line with bgl and maybe stewart, and you have a nice crash line. might open up the ice for the smaller dancers.i say forget the bobsy twins and their alleged ridiculous demands.

'Bobsy twins' would change the whole face of the team in one coup.

But an insanely overpriced coup from the sounds of it.

sofl, any half-decent players on Florida that liked Martin and we could poach? What is Horton's contract status? Nice 2nd-line ctr it seems.

Frankie B, come on down!

'Bobsy twins' would change the whole face of the team in one coup.

But an insanely overpriced coup from the sounds of it.

sofl, any half-decent players on Florida that liked Martin and we could poach? What is Horton's contract status? Nice 2nd-line ctr it seems.

Frankie B, come on down!

horton was mentioned in trade talks throughout last season. its died down a bit.he's like corson used to be. needs to be coaxed into playing a power forward's game.every year he's supposed be a 40 goal scorer.

horton was mentioned in trade talks throughout last season. its died down a bit.he's like corson used to be. needs to be coaxed into playing a power forward's game.every year he's supposed be a 40 goal scorer.

Horton is a good idea if we can make it happen. He's 24, which means he still has 2-3 seasons to grow into a fully mature player, but the fact that he's been on the Panthers a while may mean that the organization is getting tired of being teased (just as Habs fans often seem willing to give up on Latendresse, who is even younger). It could conceivably be one of those situations where an organization loses patience with a guy and another club profits. Nice thought, anyway.

Not sure this is a rumor, it was mentioned on local radio. Komisarek has already emptied his condo. Mr. Gainey, go ahead and start emptying yours. You just can't lose Souray, Streit, Ryder and Komisarek for NOTHING.

Why would BG lose his job because he didn't resign those guys?

Do you really think Souray is worth 5+ mill?

Streit isn't worth that much either.

Komi is 4 mill tops, if he takes the money and runs that is on him, BG i'm sure made him a good offer, Komi wants more.

Now making an arguement that he should have moved Souray, i agree with that.

Streit, The way the habs played last year no way he makes a move.

Did you want to move Komi down the stretch last year? I would have completed a fire burning sale but alot of other posters including BG himself had confidence in those players to make a run, the players let him down and alot of them won't be back.

The habs still have several real good D prospects, including Pateryn (spelling) who is a clone of Komi at Michigan.

Komi is 4 mill tops, if he takes the money and runs that is on him, BG i'm sure made him a good offer, Komi wants more.

Did you want to move Komi down the stretch last year? I would have completed a fire burning sale but alot of other posters including BG himself had confidence in those players to make a run, the players let him down and alot of them won't be back.

The habs still have several real good D prospects, including Pateryn (spelling) who is a clone of Komi at Michigan.

I didn't say we keep them all, we all know you can't with a salary cap. The fact that we got nothing for them is the problem. The Komisarek loss might be the biggest, he's a high draft pick, home grown talent who supposedly was captain material. I love Bob Gainey, but it might be time to go. The new ownership might see to that anyway.

I don't think he should be fired, but the controversy lies with his philosophy of waiting to the last minute to negotiate with UFAs. The proof's in the pudding. If Komi does walk, then apart from the case of Markov, then his strategy has proven to be a costly bust. Add to that Bob's reluctance to get value back by TRADING impending UFAs (quite possibly because he is in the dark as to their seriousness about staying in Montreal) and the gravity of the situation becomes clear.

And you'll pardon me if I find small consolation in prospects who won't even be NHL regulars for years, and who - if current trends continue - will simply go elsewhere just as they enter their prime, just like Komi. That is a recipe for endless mediocrity, the Montreal Expos of hockey. At some point you either have to commit to your own UFAs or sign new ones. Period.

I don't think he should be fired, but the controversy lies with his philosophy of waiting to the last minute to negotiate with UFAs. The proof's in the pudding. If Komi does walk, then apart from the case of Markov, then his strategy has proven to be a costly bust. Add to that Bob's reluctance to get value back by TRADING impending UFAs (quite possibly because he is in the dark as to their seriousness about staying in Montreal) and the gravity of the situation becomes clear.

And you'll pardon me if I find small consolation in prospects who won't even be NHL regulars for years, and who - if current trends continue - will simply go elsewhere just as they enter their prime, just like Komi. That is a recipe for endless mediocrity, the Montreal Expos of hockey. At some point you either have to commit to your own UFAs or sign new ones. Period.

:clap:

At this point, it is not about signing Komisarek for his right value, it is to SIGN KOMISAREK !!!!

To keep his job, in my opinion, Bob's gotta have one hell of a summer, I mean, he's gotta hit a grand slam. Free agency, trade, move up the draft. The Molson's won't stand for the asleep at the wheel approach.

I have to disagree again, why overpay for a player coming off a really bad year. What if he stinks next year, then the same people will say "why the hell did we pay 5 mill on a stay at home Dman". There isn't a reason to.

I want the team to win but my idea goes with starting over with a younger, bigger, faster team. The D was horrible at best last year. What would be the purpose of resigning Bouillon, Dandy, Schneider? We have all seen what they can do and it wasn't pretty.

Same for Kovalev, Koivu and the forwards, i've seen what they can do, it isn't much. Why overpay for the same old players. The team hasn't made it out of the 2nd round in like 15 years.

My first choice was Hartly, but now seeing and thinking they are moving younger i am liking the Martin hiring alot, it may take a few years to get a good product on the ice but it will be woth it.

It sure beats watching the same crap i have been watching for years.

I have to disagree again, why overpay for a player coming off a really bad year. What if he stinks next year, then the same people will say "why the hell did we pay 5 mill on a stay at home Dman". There isn't a reason to.

I want the team to win but my idea goes with starting over with a younger, bigger, faster team. The D was horrible at best last year. What would be the purpose of resigning Bouillon, Dandy, Schneider? We have all seen what they can do and it wasn't pretty.

Same for Kovalev, Koivu and the forwards, i've seen what they can do, it isn't much. Why overpay for the same old players. The team hasn't made it out of the 2nd round in like 15 years.

My first choice was Hartly, but now seeing and thinking they are moving younger i am liking the Martin hiring alot, it may take a few years to get a good product on the ice but it will be woth it.

It sure beats watching the same crap i have been watching for years.

We we're first in conference a year ago, what crap are you talking about? If you continue to lose players for nothing, and dream about younger, bigger, faster that are all unproven, what have you got?

I agree about the team 1 year ago, GC had them going, i think the stars and moon aligned for the perfect season. EVERY PLAYER had his best year, this year proved that there is very few who wil step up. Only Lats and Lapierre improved in my opinion. Everyone else went backwards.

Theyhave fought for an 8 seed every year for the last 15 years with 1 exception. That is the crap i'm talking about.

A younger, bigger faster team will at least compete, something the habs did very little of last year. Thye were soft and easy to play against.

I agree about the team 1 year ago, GC had them going, i think the stars and moon aligned for the perfect season. EVERY PLAYER had his best year, this year proved that there is very few who wil step up. Only Lats and Lapierre improved in my opinion. Everyone else went backwards.

Theyhave fought for an 8 seed every year for the last 15 years with 1 exception. That is the crap i'm talking about.

A younger, bigger faster team will at least compete, something the habs did very little of last year. Thye were soft and easy to play against.

I agree with you but I want Komi to stay and Im happy as long as its not more than 5-5.5/year. If Hamrlik is worth it then Komi is MORE than worth it.

I agree with you but I want Komi to stay and Im happy as long as its not more than 5-5.5/year. If Hamrlik is worth it then Komi is MORE than worth it.

i dont think komi is worth 5.5 mil long term....................i like the guy and i like to keep him, but just not at the price he whats...he as no scoring, cant fight and his hitting is over rated by us...it just sucks that we lose him for nothing..the cap is going down and we really got to be smart with the cash and a long term deal for komi is out, if we what to bring in some fire power up front..with some strong def coming up soon i think it be crazy to waste our money there, i think it be better to spend up front because it seems we got less high end young guys up front ready to make the move to the nhl..

Right on ! Why pass on a guy that could hurt us badly when he'll get back to his best game ?

Also, why would we have to fix a player salary in consideration of his worst season ? Would everyday people accept to have their salary fixed by their performance of a bad week/month ?

Let's say you have to get a new contract at your job and you are in a good year, performing normally. Then, 1 month before, you divorce with your wife and lose your kids/house/half of your money and get depressed.

Would you let your boss go with a "Sorry, your performance for the last month were awful, so you won't get a salary raise this season" ? You would get the ###### out of this company no ??

We all know that Komisarek will get massive offers despite his crap season. And in a weird way that makes sense; in a cap system you need to pay a guy based on what he WILL do, not on what he HAS done.

Now I'd venture to say that Komi is expected by many teams to perform as a top-5-in-the-NHL shutdown defenceman for the next 6-8 years. Remember, he is only now coming to the age where players typically mature (27).

So, what's that worth? More than $5 mil is a stretch, for sure, but in the range of $5 mil for 8 years is what I *expect* him to sign for. Of course some numbnuts may come out of left field with a totally ridiculous offer (although Philly and the Rangers, two traditional candidates for this role, are out of the running due to hilarious self-inflicted cap wounds).

I don't know. To me, Komisarek, unlike Streit or Souray, is a "core" young player, a high-quality leader developed from within the system: one of the guys you build around. I keep coming back to the fact that in a cap system teams MUST identify core players and lock them in, then supplement the rest with cheap youth. If the Habs' young D are so promising, then it actually makes sense to "overpay" (i.e., pay market value) for a Komisarek and graudally ease in cheap young'uns in slots 5-6-7 to compensate for that salary. That seems to me to be closer to the winning recipe than endlessly letting everyone walk who isn't named Markov.

We all know that Komisarek will get massive offers despite his crap season. And in a weird way that makes sense; in a cap system you need to pay a guy based on what he WILL do, not on what he HAS done.

Now I'd venture to say that Komi is expected by many teams to perform as a top-5-in-the-NHL shutdown defenceman for the next 6-8 years. Remember, he is only now coming to the age where players typically mature (27).

So, what's that worth? More than $5 mil is a stretch, for sure, but in the range of $5 mil for 8 years is what I *expect* him to sign for. Of course some numbnuts may come out of left field with a totally ridiculous offer (although Philly and the Rangers, two traditional candidates for this role, are out of the running due to hilarious self-inflicted cap wounds).

I don't know. To me, Komisarek, unlike Streit or Souray, is a "core" young player, a high-quality leader developed from within the system: one of the guys you build around. I keep coming back to the fact that in a cap system teams MUST identify core players and lock them in, then supplement the rest with cheap youth. If the Habs' young D are so promising, then it actually makes sense to "overpay" (i.e., pay market value) for a Komisarek and graudally ease in cheap young'uns in slots 5-6-7 to compensate for that salary. That seems to me to be closer to the winning recipe than endlessly letting everyone walk who isn't named Markov.

My thoughts exactly. The 5 mil$ range is what I think Komisarek would earn WITH the HABS. If he signs away, I think it would turn more around 6 mil$.

IMO, what could be interesting for the Canadien would be to lock Komi for only 4 seasons at 5 mil$ instead of a long and potentially costly 8-10 years deal.

To keep his job, in my opinion, Bob's gotta have one hell of a summer, I mean, he's gotta hit a grand slam. Free agency, trade, move up the draft. The Molson's won't stand for the asleep at the wheel approach.

Why??????