Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I'm going to test Mike Komisarek's face with my fists.

Watch out... you might be in for an awful bear-hugging after the whistle...

Or he could pound the crap outta ya... It could go either way... ^_^

i think bob is going to make a big trade at the draft..i think the trade is all ready done but he wait for the draft to make it because he going to lose our first pick, so the draft being in montreal he need somthing to happen there and get the fans pump for the season after the booing bullshit of the last game of the year..bob wants a new face for the team...a new start...that why he wont sign anyone til after we get the new face of the team..

or maybe iam just drunk and wish something cool is going to happen

i think bob is going to make a big trade at the draft..i think the trade is all ready done but he wait for the draft to make it because he going to lose our first pick, so the draft being in montreal he need somthing to happen there and get the fans pump for the season after the booing bullshit of the last game of the year..bob wants a new face for the team...a new start...that why he wont sign anyone til after we get the new face of the team..

or maybe iam just drunk and wish something cool is going to happen

Would make sense. I wish I was drunk, but I'm working...

This new development definitely adds credibility to the Vinny angle but I'm still not holding my breath. In any case, I strongly feel Bob is working the phones right now for either him and/or Heatley. Not saying we could get either of them without gutting the franchise though. If I had my choice, I'm not sure who I would choose. Obviously Vinny would address our immediate needs but Heatley's contract would be far less damaging in the future.

Edited by ForumGhost

i really think bob is fit up with everything and just what a new face left for the team and if that means dumping everyone..then so be it

Heatly, I'd be absolutely shocked if we even went for him. The last, absolute last thing the team needs are more character issues, substantiated or not. Plus Ottawa can't be so dumb as to let a star player settle inside the division again.

Komisarek's move is predictable, as I said a few days back, prepare to un-stitch your #8's from your shirts. For the price he'll command we can do better. If we had traded him during the season we would have had very, very little in return, who knows if he would have passed a physical even. If we re-sign him it will be way overvalued, I'd rather gamble like that on Vinny's monster contract and his guaranteed 80+ points a year if it came to that.

Wonder if Bob is considering trading up in the draft, after taking away a lot of choices for Timmins.

And if you want to fight Komi, maybe wearing a Lucic jersey might help? Of course, letting that filthy shitrag touch your skin would probably give you something nastier than swine flu...

Heatly, I'd be absolutely shocked if we even went for him. The last, absolute last thing the team needs are more character issues, substantiated or not. Plus Ottawa can't be so dumb as to let a star player settle inside the division again.

Komisarek's move is predictable, as I said a few days back, prepare to un-stitch your #8's from your shirts. For the price he'll command we can do better. If we had traded him during the season we would have had very, very little in return, who knows if he would have passed a physical even. If we re-sign him it will be way overvalued, I'd rather gamble like that on Vinny's monster contract and his guaranteed 80+ points a year if it came to that.

Wonder if Bob is considering trading up in the draft, after taking away a lot of choices for Timmins.

And if you want to fight Komi, maybe wearing a Lucic jersey might help? Of course, letting that filthy shitrag touch your skin would probably give you something nastier than swine flu...

That's where I bug. Who we gonna have next season for the same price that will be better than Komisarek in his role ??? NO FREAKING ONE !!!

Beauchemin will bring a better all-around game and for less money. Remember what the Isles will potentially offer Komisarek. IO agree, no-one now can step up and take his role. We'll have to look elsewhere though. He'll make more than Markov, Hamrlik, without being in the same offensive stratosphere as they are. For the record, I'd love to have him back...only only only at the right price.

Obviously there is nothing wrong with Heatley's goal-scoring pedigree. Obviously it would be great to have that aspect of him on board. Obviously my post was not in reference to his on-ice abilities. Ever heard anything about him off-ice? I guess if you think the organisation is adept at babysitting, like they showed last year, hell, go for it. And obviously if it is us asking, Ottawa won't mind driving the price up that much more.

Beauchemin will bring a better all-around game and for less money. Remember what the Isles will potentially offer Komisarek. IO agree, no-one now can step up and take his role. We'll have to look elsewhere though. He'll make more than Markov, Hamrlik, without being in the same offensive stratosphere as they are. For the record, I'd love to have him back...only only only at the right price.

Obviously there is nothing wrong with Heatley's goal-scoring pedigree. Obviously it would be great to have that aspect of him on board. Obviously my post was not in reference to his on-ice abilities. Ever heard anything about him off-ice? I guess if you think the organisation is adept at babysitting, like they showed last year, hell, go for it. And obviously if it is us asking, Ottawa won't mind driving the price up that much more.

Well, for my part, I'd definitely try to sign Komisarek even with an overpayment + Beauchemin and try to trade Hamrlik and his salary. I prefer Markov-Komi-Beauchemin than Markov-Hamrlik-Beauchemin.

Yes, I understand all the points you're making BTH. Moving Markov to get Lecavalier relocates our weakness on D. No pain no gain. But it's worth it IMHO because:

1- We've gone nowhere with Markov on the roster. What I mean is: although his absence was always hard-felt, his presence also didnt get us over the edge. He's not a franchise player, doesnt have the impact or character of one.

2- We dont have a Vinny coming in the system; or anyone close. But we have 3-4 defensemen prospects who could one day compare to Markov.

Off course, that is the worse case scenario. I'm sure Bob's trying his best to get the deal done without Markov included. Lawton acquired a bunch of D's last season, it's up to Bob to sell him someone else.

As for the cap hit per dlbalr's calculations, we'd still be left with 4M$ for 2 spots. Considering all the players we've got out of the NHL (Pacioretty, Chipchura, Maxwell, Subban, Fisher, McDonagh, Fortier, Emelin, Kristo, Trunev, etc.) I would bet right now that by then we'd have cheap youth to fill those spots. If we dont, Timmins will need to be tarred and feathered.

It'd take another season or two (or three or four in some cases) until McDonagh, Fischer, Carle, Weber, O'Byrne and Subban can become top 4 d-men. Until then, the D isn't really NHL calibre - we may have the space to bring in one UFA like Beauchemin. Let me project the roster:

Tanguay-Lecavalier-Kostitsyn

Higgins-Plekanec-D'Agostini

Latendresse-Lapierre-Kostopoulos

Pacioretty-Metropolit-Kostitsyn

(Laraque, Chipchura)

Hamrlik-Schneider

Beauchemin-Gorges (is Beauchemin a LD or RD?)

O'Byrne-Weber

(Subban, Carle, maybe a guy like Brisebois)

Price

Halak

That isn't horrible but I think it's definitely a downgrade on what we had going into last season (which I think is unavoidable). It also depends on us re-signing Tanguay (or a similar replacement) and Beauchemin (or another comparable D).

Next year, Schneider goes to accommodate Price's raise. Can a team function with that D? A team playing under Jacques Martin?

I don't think the above roster is going to make us any better. If anything, we're in the same 6th-10th range that we already were. Except I can't see us maintaining that while all our D prospects are being trained on the job, and 80% of the players on the team's salaries are only going to go up. (Look at the roster, almost all players 25 and under.)

So yeah, I'm fine with Lecavalier but not if it means losing Markov or Price. Can't see it getting us anywhere.

hamrlik seemed to be fighting his game all season and never looked quite right. as for komi, if he thinks he's worth what he's asking, then let him walk.as for all the propects, lets get them up here. the 86 habs, of which gainey was a member, had a large contingent of rookies who in a large way,helped them win the cup. while i am not suggesting the same scenario, its time to groom some of them. the defense seemed very slow last year.

Well, for my part, I'd definitely try to sign Komisarek even with an overpayment + Beauchemin and try to trade Hamrlik and his salary. I prefer Markov-Komi-Beauchemin than Markov-Hamrlik-Beauchemin.

Hell yeah I am down with that, except...

1) Hamr's contract and performance and age render him untrade-able. We have to eat it for another year with him and hope he regains form (not impossible by any stretch: pair with with an ultra-responsible, physical defensive d-man who can pass and we have something there)

2) Depends what you overpay Komi by. Nit-picking of course, but potentially a lot to be won or lost in the margins of the salary-cap era.

Anyway looks like he wants out of the circus and nothing we can do about it. Forward, march!

The Devils lost Stevens and Niedermayer and continued to put up 100 pt seasons.

Those guys made them Stanley Cup contenders, but the rest of the cast were capable of replicating

regular season success.

THe Montreal D looked a hell of a lot better in 2008 then 2009, because they

were insulated with proper spacing and with defensive commitment from their forwards.

As far as I am concerned, this team is not a Cup contender in 2010, it is a bridge season until

the youth matures and the defensive prospects are ready. But that does not mean that with

structure, health and a couple of significant moves that the Canadiens cannot be a top 4 team in the East.

Everybody wrote of the Devils after Brodeur went down, yet they finished with 106 points behind

Kevin Weekes, Scott Clemmensen and a D of Paul Martin, Johhny Oduya, Bryce Salvador, Mike Mottau etc.

This is not fantasy. It is about clearly defining roles, it is about getting players to play within their capabilities,

it is about insulating, not exposing players deficincies.

Tim Thomas looked like a sieve when he was exposed, and won the Vezina when the Bruins played to his strengths

and covered his weaknesses. So I don't get caught up in the name value of a defenseman. I saw Kevin Haller,

JJ Daigneault and Donald Dufresne look like solid players in a great system.

There is much more than meets the eye, and stressing about what is happening behind the scenes when you have

ZERO access is folly. If Komisarek walks, so be it. The guys who will bemoan the fact that he walked are likely the

same ones who will complain that $5.5M was to much for him if he had resigned.

Wait for the Draft and July 1st before you write off the potential of the defense and this team.

The Devils lost Stevens and Niedermayer and continued to put up 100 pt seasons.

Those guys made them Stanley Cup contenders, but the rest of the cast were capable of replicating

regular season success.

THe Montreal D looked a hell of a lot better in 2008 then 2009, because they

were insulated with proper spacing and with defensive commitment from their forwards.

As far as I am concerned, this team is not a Cup contender in 2010, it is a bridge season until

the youth matures and the defensive prospects are ready. But that does not mean that with

structure, health and a couple of significant moves that the Canadiens cannot be a top 4 team in the East.

Everybody wrote of the Devils after Brodeur went down, yet they finished with 106 points behind

Kevin Weekes, Scott Clemmensen and a D of Paul Martin, Johhny Oduya, Bryce Salvador, Mike Mottau etc.

This is not fantasy. It is about clearly defining roles, it is about getting players to play within their capabilities,

it is about insulating, not exposing players deficincies.

Tim Thomas looked like a sieve when he was exposed, and won the Vezina when the Bruins played to his strengths

and covered his weaknesses. So I don't get caught up in the name value of a defenseman. I saw Kevin Haller,

JJ Daigneault and Donald Dufresne look like solid players in a great system.

There is much more than meets the eye, and stressing about what is happening behind the scenes when you have

ZERO access is folly. If Komisarek walks, so be it. The guys who will bemoan the fact that he walked are likely the

same ones who will complain that $5.5M was to much for him if he had resigned.

Wait for the Draft and July 1st before you write off the potential of the defense and this team.

excellent comment.

Wamsley makes a terrific point.

All the same, talent does make a massive difference. Haller, Desfresne, etc., were playing on teams that had guys like Eric Desjarins and Mathieu Schneider (I forget who else) as part of the defence corps - not to mention dedicated and elite forwards like Kirk Muller and Vinny Damphousse as well as checkers supreme like Carbo, Skrudland Keane up front. If you want to see the difference talent makes, consider Florida's track record of missing the playoffs despite having solid systems and hard-working teams. So I don't think we can just bleed personnel and repose in the sure knowledge that Martin's undoubtedly excellent coaching will save us. This is doubly so, given that the Devils have had their system instilled for years and years and everyone on the team has internalized it. Martin will be starting from scratch and will be more successful if he has high-end raw talent to work with.

Consider, too, the Price situation. He is the future of the franchise and needs to be insulated, not by a makeshift defence corps stitched together by a system, but *also* by rock-solid defencemen who play the position at a high level. At least, that would by my goal were I the GM: no further unnecessary risks with Carey Price's development.

The real wisdom in Wamsley's post, in my opinion, is the reminder that the season doesn't start on July 1. Only by October will we have some really finalized idea of what the team will look like, but you just know that fans will be panicking if things don't look amazing by June 30. :rolleyes: (Hell, some of them are already panicking because Don Lever was fired over the telephone :lol: )

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

It's so close you can almost taste it. Any minute, any hour or any day now. The UFA and signing and trading madness will soon begin.

:clap:

I always feel like a kid at Christmas... The draft and free agent period can never come soon enough.

I always feel like a kid at Christmas... The draft and free agent period can never come soon enough.

+1

Wamsley makes a terrific point.

All the same, talent does make a massive difference. Haller, Desfresne, etc., were playing on teams that had guys like Eric Desjarins and Mathieu Schneider (I forget who else) as part of the defence corps - not to mention dedicated and elite forwards like Kirk Muller and Vinny Damphousse as well as checkers supreme like Carbo, Skrudland Keane up front. If you want to see the difference talent makes, consider Florida's track record of missing the playoffs despite having solid systems and hard-working teams. So I don't think we can just bleed personnel and repose in the sure knowledge that Martin's undoubtedly excellent coaching will save us. This is doubly so, given that the Devils have had their system instilled for years and years and everyone on the team has internalized it. Martin will be starting from scratch and will be more successful if he has high-end raw talent to work with.

Consider, too, the Price situation. He is the future of the franchise and needs to be insulated, not by a makeshift defence corps stitched together by a system, but *also* by rock-solid defencemen who play the position at a high level. At least, that would by my goal were I the GM: no further unnecessary risks with Carey Price's development.

The real wisdom in Wamsley's post, in my opinion, is the reminder that the season doesn't start on July 1. Only by October will we have some really finalized idea of what the team will look like, but you just know that fans will be panicking if things don't look amazing by June 30. :rolleyes: (Hell, some of them are already panicking because Don Lever was fired over the telephone :lol: )

Patrice Brisebois!!

Would high end talent help? Sure it does, but this team needs to stop playing selfish hockey and understand that

the chain is only as strong as the weakest link. Martin's job will be to place people in positions where they can have success.

That is his job, it is a job that Carbo failed miserably at last season.

When Carbo threw his hands in the air, it was essentially the end of him as coach.

Before you blame individuals, start looking at the whole play, see where the original breakdown occurred. Then watch the decision

making after the initial breakdown. You will see players forced to make a decision, a second wrong decision leads to an even bigger

opening, and the decision's left become gamble's. The way people lay it on the feet of one individual is assinine.

If somebody is holding a bolder at the top of the hill and releases it and after 10 feet the opportunity exists to stop the boulder

at 1/4 speed and somebody doesn't, then 40 feet later with the boulder at 3/4 speed another cannot stop it, why blame the guy

at the bottom who cannot stop the boulder from barreling into a car at top speed?

Scapegoating and base level thinking always lead to simple answers.