Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Patrice Brisebois!!

Would high end talent help? Sure it does, but this team needs to stop playing selfish hockey and understand that

the chain is only as strong as the weakest link. Martin's job will be to place people in positions where they can have success.

That is his job, it is a job that Carbo failed miserably at last season.

When Carbo threw his hands in the air, it was essentially the end of him as coach.

Before you blame individuals, start looking at the whole play, see where the original breakdown occurred. Then watch the decision

making after the initial breakdown. You will see players forced to make a decision, a second wrong decision leads to an even bigger

opening, and the decision's left become gamble's. The way people lay it on the feet of one individual is assinine.

If somebody is holding a bolder at the top of the hill and releases it and after 10 feet the opportunity exists to stop the boulder

at 1/4 speed and somebody doesn't, then 40 feet later with the boulder at 3/4 speed another cannot stop it, why blame the guy

at the bottom who cannot stop the boulder from barreling into a car at top speed?

Scapegoating and base level thinking always lead to simple answers.

No, no, I completely agree. I'm just saying that I'd rather have a great team game AND high-end talent, and that I don't fully accept the Devils analogy because we're so far behind where the Devils were when they lost Niedermeyer and Stevens. I don't see us being a top-4 team without players on the level of Komisarek, that's all.

No, no, I completely agree. I'm just saying that I'd rather have a great team game AND high-end talent, and that I don't fully accept the Devils analogy because we're so far behind where the Devils were when they lost Niedermeyer and Stevens. I don't see us being a top-4 team without players on the level of Komisarek, that's all.

The post wasn't a direct response to you, just a general response.

The Devils analogy was used to show that systems can create NAMES. Some people are pushing

Oduya, but how would he have appeared in the disaster of a system last season?

It happens all the time, GMs not paying attention to the individual and attributing their success to talent

and not support. It is like looking at models when they are photographed after airbrushing, perfect angles

and the magic of photoshop. What you see is not exactly what you are going to get.

The post wasn't a direct response to you, just a general response.

The Devils analogy was used to show that systems can create NAMES. Some people are pushing

Oduya, but how would he have appeared in the disaster of a system last season?

It happens all the time, GMs not paying attention to the individual and attributing their success to talent

and not support. It is like looking at models when they are photographed after airbrushing, perfect angles

and the magic of photoshop. What you see is not exactly what you are going to get.

ain't that the truth! :hlogo: :lol:

There are many sketchy rumours on the net that Lecavalier is a Canadien.

This is driving me batty :blink:

I try not to think about it - if it happens, it happens, if not, perhaps something else will. My gut tells me nothing will happen until Friday at the earliest, so I'm not getting too worked up yet.

My gut tells me they will put some offers together and nothing will happen. They'll take a centre with there pick.

They will make a couple of big guns some UFA deals.

The only they land is Neil.

Wind up resigning Koivu and Tanguay.

I don't want that to happen but that is what my gut tells me. The only thing that seems to change is coaching staff's.

Boy i hope i'm wrong.

I read in today's Globe that the league is taking action to try and strengthen Tampa's ownership. How that might ramify on any attempt by Gainey to land Lecavalier, I don't know...

Lecavalier has good and bad points, so I won't work myself into a tizzy either way.

I've said all along that Ohlund and Neil would be the most 'Gaineyish' UFA signings. Also that Ohlund is an unacceptable drop-off in talent compared to Komisarek.

However, Bob has somewhat surprised me with the aggressiveness of his attack on the coaching staff, and that suggests to me that he's moved into a different mode - no longer Bob the Builder, but Bob the Demander of High-End Results. Further major surprises really shouldn't be ruled out. I think he learned some hard lessons about his players last season and may well be on the warpath.

i agree bobs making a big move this year no matter what because he dont belive in the guys on the team...i really think he what them to pull it out last year but they couldnt, and he lost his faith...now its time to blow things up and start with new faces, and new attitude...i really think komi is over rated at 6 mil a year...he really dont bring that much to the table and if most people look pass there man crush on him they see it..he got the worst shot, cant fight, and get caught trying to lay big hits, which as become a one trick pony and most guys see him coming now..

and if he really what to stay in montreal and wear the c some day he would.....but he whats the money, so he going to pack his bags and move on..it takes a great person to stay with a team no matter what, the good times and the bad, that leadership and i dont think he got it...because a player likes to talk to the media dont mean his a good leader...it means he like to talk...montreal fans loves to build players up way better then they are and i think this is the way it is with komi, we vote him in to the allstar game and it gone to his head...he is in no way a allstar player....so if his gone i wish him the best of luck and if he stays i hope its for a fair price and dont hurt the team in years to come..

I try not to think about it - if it happens, it happens, if not, perhaps something else will. My gut tells me nothing will happen until Friday at the earliest, so I'm not getting too worked up yet.
I hear ya. I try not to get the hopes too high. I definitely was not going to post the rumours since it was from "insiders" amongst 3 boards that I don't go to. I'm somewhat psyched though. Can't help it. Maybe there is a plan B or something we haven't considered. Imagine if all of a sudden it's not Vinnie arriving but someone we never expected and it's awesome? Couple this with the fact that Gainey won't sign players until the draft. The elements are ripe for a move on Friday. The draft might be a huge D-Day for sure. Vinnie or not, we just might see the Habs current lineup change very much.

:popcorn:

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

My gut tells me they will put some offers together and nothing will happen. They'll take a centre with there pick.

They will make a couple of big guns some UFA deals.

The only they land is Neil.

Wind up resigning Koivu and Tanguay.

I don't want that to happen but that is what my gut tells me. The only thing that seems to change is coaching staff's.

Boy i hope i'm wrong.

I feel the same way.

This is how things have happened in Montreal for a long time. Not for lack of effort on Bob's part though.

I hope I'm wrong but the only way I see Bob doing something really big is if the Molsons/Savard force him to - regardless of over payment.

I see Gainey resigning Koivu, Kovalev and maybe Tanguay and when losing Komi he signs Johnny Oduya to a 5year 5M/year deal and then some of us wants his head and some praise him as a god.

Not for lack of effort on Bob's part though
BOb is often amongst fans criticized for not turning trying into results. That's a fair criticism. But, I'll defend his failed attempts. If it wasn't for Sakic, I believe Smitty would have signed with us. He attributed it to BOb and it was publicly known at the time.

Name me a GM who could potentially bring Smitty to the Habs? That's BOb's dilemma. He's so glass half full/half empty that we almost have a de facto civil war regarding him amongst the fans.

I trust! Hopefully It turns out that I'm right to do so! The clock is ticking.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

re lecavalier

from Mathias Brunet blog :

Vincent Lecavalier, lui, se demande bien ce que l’avenir lui réserve. Il sera fixé cette semaine, ou la semaine prochaine au plus tard. Je persiste à croire que Montréal est dans le coup.

he believes the Habs are still trying to get Lecavalier

re lecavalier

from Mathias Brunet blog :

he believes the Habs are still trying to get Lecavalier

Well, if CKAC has any credibility, SOMETHING huge is definitely in the works and is the principal reason why no UFAs have yet been re-upped:

http://www.corussports.com/canadiens/koval...25-1621621.html

Fun times!

As per RDS, Tallon is shopping Havlat, although Havlat would want to stay in Chicago.

Humph. Havlat would hardly be the answer to my prayers. Good player, but I can see his salary better spent elsewhere given the make-up of our team.

Humph. Havlat would hardly be the answer to my prayers. Good player, but I can see his salary better spent elsewhere given the make-up of our team.

CENTER should be our priority. Face it, we SUCK at center. no matter how much we can love Saku and Pleks, we do suck at center.

Then, add whoever you want.

but if we don't get a center, I'll snob the habs for AT LEAST one game. :)

Kost is 10X the player he was last season if given a real #1 center.

I keep reading that Marleau might be available from SJ. If Lecavalier isn't available could he be an option? My problem with Marleau is that the guy seems wildly inconsistent from season to season.

Yeah, he seems like only a slight upgrade on Koivu. Better size and a his ups are better than Koivu's ups. Also, you gotta wonder about his leadership given San Jose's repeated busts. That being said, I would take him over Koivu, give the team a new look.

I keep reading that Marleau might be available from SJ. If Lecavalier isn't available could he be an option? My problem with Marleau is that the guy seems wildly inconsistent from season to season.

I will not spit on ANY center that is not Saku Koivu nor Plekanec. (not that I will spit on them... but they are insufficient as a combo)

Marleau IS an extremely good center.

Yeah, he seems like only a slight upgrade on Koivu. Better size and a his ups are better than Koivu's ups. Also, you gotta wonder about his leadership given San Jose's repeated busts.

35 goals a couple of times. that's not slight, that's worlds better than.

Remember how people were dissing Arnott... IMO, he's the main reason for their consistent overperforming of the last couple of seasons.

no, he's not a Lecavalier. No he might not win the conn smythe.

YES YES YES he is better than ANYTHING we have at center.

RDS is reporting that only 5 of the 10 UFA's will be priorities and receive offers in the near future from the Habs - Koivu, Tanguay, Schneider, Kovalev, and Komisarek. The latter of those is the only one to receive an offer as of yet.

Le défenseur Francis Bouillon ne sera pas de retour à Montréal la saison prochaine et Bob Gainey a confirmé à RDS que Mike Komisarek s’avère le seul joueur autonome du Canadien qui a reçu une offre de contrat, mais il entend discuter avec un groupe de cinq joueurs prioritaires.

Gainey discutera avec Saku Koivu, Alex Tanguay, Mathieu Schneider, Alex Kovalev et Komisarek après le repêchage.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/277159.html (Although the way they keep changing what's in that article, you never know what'll be in there when you click it).

A pair of surprises there, Kostopoulos I thought would get an offer as would Lang potentially, but things can change a lot between now and then.