Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Sportsnet reports Habs sign Hal Gill, details to follow.

not the fastest cat but proved to be useful in the playoffs

Sportsnet reports Habs sign Hal Gill, details to follow.

where? I hate this guy. but maybe i could get to like him if he apologizes for killing Zednik.

where? I hate this guy. but maybe i could get to like him if he apologizes for killing Zednik.

That was McLaren.

2 years, $4.5 is what I'm hearing...

I guess Bob wanted to add some size to our D both because we lost Komisarek and because we got overpowered by the Bruins. 2.25M is average for a bottom pairing defenseman. Just a meh signing.

That was McLaren.

I guess Bob wanted to add some size to our D both because we lost Komisarek and because we got overpowered by the Bruins. 2.25M is average for a bottom pairing defenseman. Just a meh signing.

again, another replacement of our bottom Ds (Briser, Dandy, Cube)

sorry Cube, but that guy takes your spot and I don't feel sorry.

yes he is a cone. but ...

even Komi wise, he's "almost" an improvement... do you think Lucic will have fun in front of the net with Hal Gill towering there? 6'7" 250lbs.

So as of right now...

We lose:

Koivu

Kovalev

Tanguay

Komisarek

Higgins

Schneider

and gain

Gomez

Cammarlleri

Spacek

Gill

Saku = Gomez

Tanguay = Cammalleri

Gill < Komisarek

Spacek = Schneider

I'm happy Bob is the most active GM today but, Is it just me or do we need to replace Higgins and re-sign Kovalev?

So as of right now...

Spacek = Schneider

I'm happy Bob is the most active GM today but, Is it just me or do we need to replace Higgins and re-sign Kovalev?

Comon' there...

So as of right now...

We lose:

Koivu

Kovalev

Tanguay

Komisarek

Higgins

Schneider

and gain

Gomez

Cammarlleri

Spacek

Gill

Saku = Gomez

Tanguay = Cammalleri

Gill < Komisarek

Spacek = Schneider

We also lost Lang. I would put it this way:

Gomez > Koivu

Cammalleri = Tanguay

Gill < Komisarek

Spacek > Schneider (come on, he was Buffalo's #1 d-man, 45 points, that's better than Schneider at 40 years old)

I expect to see Kovalev re-signed, but if he isn't, our right side looks seriously weak. I guess Pacioretty will replace Higgins.

I am not so sure that gill<Komisarek after last year. At least Gill won't get bitch slapped by Lucic. I think Gill is big not fast but a stay at home guy who will really help carey price by keeping guys away from him. Komi could not do that.

I am not so sure that gill<Komisarek after last year. At least Gill won't get bitch slapped by Lucic. I think Gill is big not fast but a stay at home guy who will really help carey price by keeping guys away from him. Komi could not do that.

You are evaluating Komisarek at his lowest point. He is somewhere between the 2008 version and the 2009.

You are delusional if you think he is not better than Gill. Gill is a depth defenseman whose length helps on the PK

but who cannot make an outlet pass and for his size is fairly docile.

You are evaluating Komisarek at his lowest point. He is somewhere between the 2008 version and the 2009.

You are delusional if you think he is not better than Gill. Gill is a depth defenseman whose length helps on the PK

I sure didn't see Komi make too many good outlet passes this season. And how many of his shots were blocked. Gill brings better offensive stats to the table as well.

I'm happy with our moves today but this is true. You truly are deluding yourself into optimism if you consider Gill an upgrade on Komisarek.

We also lost Lang. I would put it this way:

Gomez > Koivu

Cammalleri = Tanguay

Gill < Komisarek

Spacek > Schneider (come on, he was Buffalo's #1 d-man, 45 points, that's better than Schneider at 40 years old)

I expect to see Kovalev re-signed, but if he isn't, our right side looks seriously weak. I guess Pacioretty will replace Higgins.

I wasn't listing it as who's better... just as a replacement for the like minded player.

Koivu the playmaker for Gomez the playmaker etc etc.

Schneider is the exact same as Spacek for the record. ^_^ Let's not forget Schneider had 17 points in 23 games for the habs, after having only 15pts in 44 games with Atlanta

and komi has offence? no. komi is a good passer?no. Komi is what? a good shot blocker yeah he is. Is he intimidating 1.5 years ago he was but not now. Wish him the best ( no I don't he a f ing leaf) but he is still being paid for potential that he has not lived up to. He is not scott stevenson lets be honest. Stay at Home big defence are not that big a deal. Would I rather have him at 3.5 mill rather than Gill absolutely but he ain't worth 5 million. sorry he has no NO offence capability.

I'm happy with our moves today but this is true. You truly are deluding yourself into optimism if you consider Gill an upgrade on Komisarek.

I never said he was better I said he may not be that much of a downgrade. see my other post I like Komi but he has no offence.

If you thought Komi was a pylon you are only a sometimes fan...Komisarek had very good mobility.

Just wait until you see Gill standing there poking his stick at the puck because he can't move...

I think it's also fair to say that Komisarek was never given a legit opportunity on the PP with Markov, Hamrlik and others taking that role. Without that PP time it's unlikley he would have the opportunity to put up big points. During Komisarek's development he was touted as having some upside to his offense...the team never really gave him that opportunity in the NHL.

If you thought Komi was a pylon you are only a sometimes fan...Komisarek had very good mobility.

Just wait until you see Gill standing there poking his stick at the puck because he can't move...

I think it's also fair to say that Komisarek was never given a legit opportunity on the PP with Markov, Hamrlik and others taking that role. Without that PP time it's unlikley he would have the opportunity to put up big points. During Komisarek's development he was touted as having some upside to his offense...the team never really gave him that opportunity in the NHL.

Good post. Too many fans on these boards seem to forget how great Komi was in 07-08. Too many conveniently forget that komisarek was injured for most of last season(whjich is why his game got worse). Too many seem to forget that he was tough(routinely dishing out hard bodychecks and taking guys out along the boards), was willing to sacrifice his body by blocking a shitload of shots, he was a good leader, would show up EVERY NIGHT and defend his team mates, and that he was drafted by the organization. If you aren,t willing to cough up and extra 500,000 or 750,000 to keep him around, then Bob, you are an idiot!

Good post. Too many fans on these boards seem to forget how great Komi was in 07-08. Too many conveniently forget that komisarek was injured for most of last season(whjich is why his game got worse). Too many seem to forget that he was tough(routinely dishing out hard bodychecks and taking guys out along the boards), was willing to sacrifice his body by blocking a shitload of shots, he was a good leader, would show up EVERY NIGHT and defend his team mates, and that he was drafted by the organization. If you aren,t willing to cough up and extra 500,000 or 750,000 to keep him around, then Bob, you are an idiot!

Komisarek is a good player, but so was Scott Hannan. He signed for $4.5m and switched teams after a poor year in San Jose, had some injury issues and hasn't been the same. When your game is physical, and not skill based, it's tough to get that back if your body has taken a beating. I understand being hesitant about making a commitment.

The Habs also lacked a lot of mobility and passing presence on the back end, and Spacek can provide it. We'll see if it was a wise decision. My biggest concern with Komi leaving is that he was a natural leader. I won't be surprised if the Leafs make him captain... and we could be lacking a captain as a result.

My biggest concern with Komi leaving is that he was a natural leader. I won't be surprised if the Leafs make him captain... and we could be lacking a captain as a result.

That is probably the biggest reason why I'm sad to see him go. Great leadership qualities and an all around good guy!

The fact that he's with the leafs just leaves me with a taste of puke in my mouth!

Edited by Habsfan

I like Komisarek a lot - can't wish him well now of course - but there was no way Bob should have paid that much for him. No way. And anyway, Bob says that Komi's agent didn't even bother calling back about the last offer he tendered.

But why why why not Beauchemin? Must be something up with that.

At this point I'd re-sign Plex, then deal him and a d-man and someone else, maybe Metropolit, and turn around and make an offer for Dubinsky. Figure the cap out later.

Komisarek is a good player, but so was Scott Hannan. He signed for $4.5m and switched teams after a poor year in San Jose, had some injury issues and hasn't been the same. When your game is physical, and not skill based, it's tough to get that back if your body has taken a beating. I understand being hesitant about making a commitment.

The Habs also lacked a lot of mobility and passing presence on the back end, and Spacek can provide it. We'll see if it was a wise decision. My biggest concern with Komi leaving is that he was a natural leader. I won't be surprised if the Leafs make him captain... and we could be lacking a captain as a result.

I agree. People always compared him to Scott Stevens because of the highlight reel hits, but Stevens was a COMPLETE defenseman.

Scott Hannan is a great example, I like to use Craig Ludwig. Komisarek is a great 4-6th d-man on a great team, somebody who if you give

him simple tasks and don't force him to do to much can look great and will get the accolades from Cherry/Millen/Neal/Simpson because he

does the things nobody else wants to do.

But the second he starts to do to much he is exposed as the limited player he is. When he tried to step up and show the Bruins you can't push

us around, he was DESTROYED by Lucic. When you dump the puck into his corner, he does not have the anticiaption nor hands to make the proper

decisions and panic dumps up the boards under pressure. He does not have the passing skills to hit forwards in stride coming out of his own zone

with time. That is HALF a defenseman.

I liked him when he was here, and would have paid $4.5M to keep him because of continuity, but he is not irreplaceable. Cut through the crap you

will have to listen to now that he is a a member of the Leafs, he is limited in his abilities.

I agree. People always compared him to Scott Stevens because of the highlight reel hits, but Stevens was a COMPLETE defenseman.

Scott Hannan is a great example, I like to use Craig Ludwig. Komisarek is a great 4-6th d-man on a great team, somebody who if you give

him simple tasks and don't force him to do to much can look great and will get the accolades from Cherry/Millen/Neal/Simpson because he

does the things nobody else wants to do.

But the second he starts to do to much he is exposed as the limited player he is. When he tried to step up and show the Bruins you can't push

us around, he was DESTROYED by Lucic. When you dump the puck into his corner, he does not have the anticiaption nor hands to make the proper

decisions and panic dumps up the boards under pressure. He does not have the passing skills to hit forwards in stride coming out of his own zone

with time. That is HALF a defenseman.

I liked him when he was here, and would have paid $4.5M to keep him because of continuity, but he is not irreplaceable. Cut through the crap you

will have to listen to now that he is a a member of the Leafs, he is limited in his abilities.

I hope you guys are right. I think the Leafs are getting full value for that salary, and it really hurts to lose this guy; but if he turns out to be just another 'limited' 4th-defenceman, then we will certainly turn the page and be just fine. I do think Spacek looks like a splendid (and affordable) under-the-radar signing who will hugely help our PP and transition game, but without Komi, are we going to be capable of containing forwards down low?

Anyway. Having him play elsewhere will help me get a better fix on a guy who was one of my favourite Habs of the sadly aborted rebuild. What really stings is the betrayal of the implicit narrative we (or I) had built around Komisarek. He was going to be one of the Rocks on which our resurgence was built: developed within the system, huge leadership and character, tough nut, 'core' - he was supposed to be with us for the entire journey. I'm thinking like a fan here, not an analyst, but part of me is in mourning. It's like he's a symbol of the failure of the rebuild into which I'd invested so much hope.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I hope you guys are right. I think the Leafs are getting full value for that salary, and it really hurts to lose this guy; but if he turns out to be just another 'limited' 4th-defenceman, then we will certainly turn the page and be just fine. I do think Spacek looks like a splendid (and affordable) under-the-radar signing who will hugely help our PP and transition game, but without Komi, are we going to be capable of containing forwards down low?

Anyway. Having him play elsewhere will help me get a better fix on a guy who was one of my favourite Habs of the sadly aborted rebuild. What really stings is the betrayal of the implicit narrative we (or I) had built around Komisarek. He was going to be one of the Rocks on which our resurgence was built: developed within the system, huge leadership and character, tough nut, 'core' - he was supposed to be with us for the entire journey. I'm thinking like a fan here, not an analyst, but part of me is in mourning. It's like he's a symbol of the failure of the rebuild into which I'd invested so much hope.

I said the same thing to a Leaf fan who thought my assessment was harsh for somebody who would have overpaid him.

I said it is called sentimental attachment. When you see your team gutted of every significant player from the last 5 years you cling to familiarity.

He may only be a $3M defenseman. But he was a habs his whole career.