Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Actually my comment was that you could use some of your pending RFA and UFA' s that are currently in Hamilton to compliment a package with a defenseman. I never said anyone of those guys would be the centerpiece. I was asked to name some of them. I sent most of the list. There is obviously names that aren't going to make the cut. I would add Darche, Wyman and Belle to aleast get consideration.

Actually my comment was that you could use some of your pending RFA and UFA' s that are currently in Hamilton to compliment a package with a defenseman. I never said anyone of those guys would be the centerpiece. I was asked to name some of them. I sent most of the list. There is obviously names that aren't going to make the cut. I would add Darche, Wyman and Belle to aleast get consideration.

I understand that, but do you really think a 33 year old journeyman AHL'er (Darche) or a former 1st rounder (Belle) whose been dealt 3 times in what, 4 years is going to provide any sort of extra incentive in a deal? Heck, a lot of teams are near the 50-contract limit, some would find tacking on a minor leaguer a disincentive to a trade. These are dime a dozen players that can be found anywhere in the offseason; a lot of teams already have these types of depth players already.

I understand that, but do you really think a 33 year old journeyman AHL'er (Darche) or a former 1st rounder (Belle) whose been dealt 3 times in what, 4 years is going to provide any sort of extra incentive in a deal? Heck, a lot of teams are near the 50-contract limit, some would find tacking on a minor leaguer a disincentive to a trade. These are dime a dozen players that can be found anywhere in the offseason; a lot of teams already have these types of depth players already.

Good to hear from you Dlbair. Your point is well taken. I thought Belle was really close. Most clubs have to fill out their rosters with cheap labour to compensate for the high end guys. Darche, yea, I going to give you that one.

Cogliano is a center, if they have to move Pleks he is a cheaper option. SK has been invisible in 90% of all of his games this year.

Arrrgh. I watch every Oilers game. We don't want this kid. Unless it's for nothing. He is small, get's pushed off the puck easily. He may have an upside later, but the Habs have enough little perimeter players. They don't need another. Cogliano has 13 points in 61 games and is a -8. SK has 10 points in 30 games. Really just ignoring the stats. I love th eway SK can play. My worry is that him and his brother tend to be a lttle lazy.

Edited by BCHabnut

Whatever the rumor, your safe to add SK in there. only because of the risk of losing him to the KHL next season. So unless the Habs are ready to give him a big 2 mil a season contract extension, then another team that has cap space can or he's off to the KHL

Whatever the rumor, your safe to add SK in there. only because of the risk of losing him to the KHL next season. So unless the Habs are ready to give him a big 2 mil a season contract extension, then another team that has cap space can or he's off to the KHL

A conspiracy theory on my part, but a part of me wouldn't be surprised if Sergei wound up in the KHL by about this time next week. He had to wait to sign that big offer in Russia so he could play in the Olympics - now he's there, will he bail right away? Just something that crossed my mind...

A conspiracy theory on my part, but a part of me wouldn't be surprised if Sergei wound up in the KHL by about this time next week. He had to wait to sign that big offer in Russia so he could play in the Olympics - now he's there, will he bail right away? Just something that crossed my mind...

Too many possible reprecussions for both player and team, IMO. The transfer period is over. He might sign the deal for next year, but not for next week.

Anyone see the latest nonsense for DickLands's site??

God if that lousy 3 way deal ever goes down, Gautheir is the second coming of Reggie Houle.

In a nutshell, we would be giving up draft picks, Price and a prospect and getting Smid, Cogliano and Dallas 1st next year and 2nd.

I can't believe people actually pay him to access his exclusive rumours. If there anyting like the one's on his regular site, people are paying an awful lot for utter nonsense! I don't go there often, other then to read Engel's blog, but everytime I do, I can't get over how dumb most of his trade proposels are!!

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Don't. Want. Cogliano.

Is Smid any good?

Smid is developing. Probably looks a bit better than O'Byrne. I like him, but I am also an Edmonton fan. I think he will be a solid #4 someday, but may end up a 6 or 7. It's sometimes hard to tell with defensemen.

If Eklund says that's the rumour then it's 100% NOT going to happen. I don't think the guy has ever been right. What a joke!!! I'd be curious to see how many people do pay for that nonsense. Maybe I'll start up my own trade rumour site with my own "sources" ;)

5 days and 21 hours and change to go until deadline. I've become so preoccupied with the Olympics that the time remaining didn't occur to me. Heh, our team and others are about to get a tweak or mini-overhaul possibly and all I can think about is the game tomorrow. :D

5 Days 21:40 :o

Anyone see the latest nonsense for DickLands's site??

God if that lousy 3 way deal ever goes down, Gautheir is the second coming of Reggie Houle.

In a nutshell, we would be giving up draft picks, Price and a prospect and getting Smid, Cogliano and Dallas 1st next year and 2nd.

I can't believe people actually pay him to access his exclusive rumours. If there anyting like the one's on his regular site, people are paying an awful lot for utter nonsense! I don't go there often, other then to read Engel's blog, but everytime I do, I can't get over how dumb most of his trade proposels are!!

If that trade happened. I would be out. Done as a habs fan. I forgave the ridiculous Roy trade,

I forgave the abysmal Leclair/Desjardins/Dionne/Recchi for Zubrus deal. I have no room left for the absurdity

of something like that.

Edited by Wamsley01

If that trade happened. I would be out. Done as a habs fan. I forgave the ridiculous Roy trade,

I forgave the abysmal Leclair/Desjardins/Dionne/Recchi for Zubrus deal. I have no room left for the absurdity

of something like that.

Nice try - but I doubt it... I said the same thing many when Lafleur was forced out and when I heard what Houle got for Roy... but once a habs fan, always a habs fan :wacko:

Nice try - but I doubt it... I said the same thing many when Lafleur was forced out and when I heard what Houle got for Roy... but once a habs fan, always a habs fan :wacko:

I have never felt like that in 30 years. When they traded Roy, I rationalized it.

This is different, when apathy begins to set in, then it is a problem and if they made that deal

I would find other shit to do.

I've been wondering the same thing: if Gauthier turns out to be a blithering fool in the vein of Reggie Houle, would I abandon my life-long allegiance? Probably not. But I sure can see myself disengaging from the fairly high level of day-to-day intensity I bring to fandom nowadays. (E.g., this board is basically a pleasant hobby right now - but who needs to argue endlessly over, say, whether a piece of crap like Patrick Poulin is any good?). After a few bad trades and another descent into total mediocrity, I'd probably restrict my attention to box scores and occasional game-viewings for old time's sake, until I had some specific reason to renew basic hope.

The other option is to do what I did during the Houle years: give up any pretense of the Habs having a chance of doing anything, and instead focus on smaller things: e.g., tracking the development of a promising young player, following the career arc of player A or B, waiting to see if they can upset team X in such-and-such a game, etc.. Believe me, I have NO desire to revert to that pathetic form of fan existence. I just don't know how Leafs fans have done it all these years.

of something like that.

I don't think it's fair to include Recchi in the deal since he was traded straight up for Zubrus, a 2nd and another pick.

If you wanna say it like this, you have to say : Desjardins, LeClair and Dionne for Zubrus, a 2nd and another pick. Recchi was just the transit player and was one of our best player for many seasons. In fact, Recchi was really good with us, the deal was not that bad. Turned out that LeClair exploded in Philly...

I don't think it's fair to include Recchi in the deal since he was traded straight up for Zubrus, a 2nd and another pick.

If you wanna say it like this, you have to say : Desjardins, LeClair and Dionne for Zubrus, a 2nd and another pick. Recchi was just the transit player and was one of our best player for many seasons. In fact, Recchi was really good with us, the deal was not that bad. Turned out that LeClair exploded in Philly...

Yeah, we got three and a half very good seasons out of Recchi. At the time, the first trade was basically Desjardins for Recchi. Dionne has vanished by that point and LeClair couldn't even pass the 20 goal mark. Then when we traded him back to Philly three and half years later, we got a solid draft pick and a player similar to LeClair, a power forward who was struggling and would hopefully, like LeClair, become a star in a new environment. If LeClair doesn't become a star playing with Lindros, nobody remembers that trade.

Actually the ultimate bonehead trade was one year wonder Denis Savard at the end of his career for Chris Chelios who was a defense machine for about twenty years after the trade.

What's worse about that one is that Montreal added a 2nd round pick to Chelios to get Savard. Then 9 years later, Chelios was traded for Anders Eriksson (a young, recent 1st rounder at the time) and two first round picks.

Actually the ultimate bonehead trade was one year wonder Denis Savard at the end of his career for Chris Chelios who was a defense machine for about twenty years after the trade.

Horrible trade, and it has always been rumoured to have been demanded by Ronald Corey against the will of Serge Savard. In any case, Savard was, on the whole, an excellent GM, so the analogy fails there. Everyone makes mistakes! It takes an Houle to systematically dismantle an organization, or else to consign the team to years and years of outright mediocrity. This chronic badness, more than a specific bad decision, is what the more seasoned posters around here are terrified of.

After a few bad trades and another descent into total mediocrity

Okay, that got me giggling.

Horrible trade, and it has always been rumoured to have been demanded by Ronald Corey against the will of Serge Savard. In any case, Savard was, on the whole, an excellent GM, so the analogy fails there. Everyone makes mistakes! It takes an Houle to systematically dismantle an organization, or else to consign the team to years and years of outright mediocrity. This chronic badness, more than a specific bad decision, is what the more seasoned posters around here are terrified of.

Apparently, Chelly was sleeping with Corey's wife. Rumour, rumour.

still a terrible trade.

In the 93 playoffs you could see the player Leclair could become. Anytime you see a guy with hands like he had, you don't move him considering how many years he was in the league. I think Cam Neely should have taught people on giving up on a power forward to early. It's funny, when that deal was made, a Philly friend of mine in university came up to me pissed off that the flyers traded Recchi for a bunch of no names and was surprised when I was pissed at losing Leclair AND Desjardins. They were too of the main cogs for the 93 cup run.

Can you imagine, if the habs had hung onto Chelios, Desjardins, Leclair??? Would we have seen the bonehead Houle hiring??? To have had that D and a big guy like Leclair when Koivu came up, just makes you wonder what could have been :angry:

The Chelios trade for the washed up home town kid was the start of the fall of the habs. The Roy trade was the final nail in the coffin that sent the habs down to the Leaf abyss.