Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

According to Marc-Antoine Godin of LaPresse, Pierre Gauthier contacted Don Meehan to start negotiations to extend MArkov's contract!

I don't know how much truth there is to this story, but if it's true, that's what I call being proactive!!

I don't doubt that they'd like to start talks, however, by rule, extension talks cannot begin until July 1. (Of course, there are those informal ways of negotiations...)

I don't doubt that they'd like to start talks, however, by rule, extension talks cannot begin until July 1. (Of course, there are those informal ways of negotiations...)

I just hope they get it done ASAP. Although Markov hasn't been as effective in the playoffs, he is still the Best d-man this team has had since Chelios.

If he performs well in the playoffs this year, give him whatever he wants!

Obviously, that would mean we would have to send Hamrlik somewhere else...but hey, that's the price to pay to keep your best d-man!

Edited by Habsfan

I don't know how it's worded, but I think that no offers can be tabled until July 1. Talks can happen.

We should not kiss ass! Trade Markov if his demand is too high or too long. trade Hamrlik and Mara and free up some cap room in order to acquire a significant defenceman this summer or via trade. We should also trade Price or package him because I'll be damned if he still wants to play here under the current conditions. Now if we do all this we will have freed up over12,000,000 dollars of cap space and do some shoppiong this summer. :clap:

We should not kiss ass! Trade Markov if his demand is too high or too long. trade Hamrlik and Mara and free up some cap room in order to acquire a significant defenceman this summer or via trade. We should also trade Price or package him because I'll be damned if he still wants to play here under the current conditions. Now if we do all this we will have freed up over12,000,000 dollars of cap space and do some shoppiong this summer. :clap:

lol noob :wacko::lol::rolleyes: :puke:

You must be smoking some funny pcp or something dude. No real disrespect from that last assumption but fe real wtf????

And this is coming from a guy who has said a few things to rub some the wrong way.

Just a tip... drop that dealer of yours and I don't know... grow your own or something and again... WTF are you on? fe real, it ain't healthy, change that $..t!!!!

You must be smoking some funny pcp or something dude. No real disrespect from that last assumption but fe real wtf????

And this is coming from a guy who has said a few things to rub some the wrong way.

Just a tip... drop that dealer of yours and I don't know... grow your own or something and again... WTF are you on? fe real, it ain't healthy, change that $..t!!!!

No better yet ehjay... maybe he is a Leaf in disguise who's high on Habsworld... trading Markov yeah right!

That's the way to increase the membership and popularity of the boards! Butcher any thought from a new poster which doesn't fall in line fast enough! :P

C'mon guys, you may not like it, but it *does* have some merit. I'm not fond of the idea of moving Markov either, but a good GM will consider *all* options carefully. Never know when you find that diamond idea in the rough.

That's the way to increase the membership and popularity of the boards! Butcher any thought from a new poster which doesn't fall in line fast enough! :P

C'mon guys, you may not like it, but it *does* have some merit. I'm not fond of the idea of moving Markov either, but a good GM will consider *all* options carefully. Never know when you find that diamond idea in the rough.

All right I will admit I did not notice this comment is from a new postee.

that said...

I still stand in my state of confusion and re-state Were (TF) is this comming from????

Maybe CoRvInA is right and this fellow 'fan' is high on the freedom of this site :blink:

So in that respect, I should fall in line and give a tip of the hat to all involved in keeping this site up. Thank you :clap: is is truly appreciated.

Yet Colin I must be honest and disallow my justment to entertain thoughts of Markov leaving this team, cuz it wouldn't be as they say in french... f****n right. I fear someone may have far too much time with some game consol combined with some very unclean illicit subtance, again IMO.

I have watched (as most on tthis site) many games this season. This team without Markov would be battling I fear with EDM tittle this year. Mind you they did do 'ok' in his injury time out but I don't think they would have been able to hold such efforts over a full NHL season again IMO.

I have watched (as most on tthis site) many games this season. This team without Markov would be battling I fear with EDM tittle this year. Mind you they did do 'ok' in his injury time out but I don't think they would have been able to hold such efforts over a full NHL season again IMO.

Now, if they trade Markov for something like a Doughty kid, what then? Is Markov maximized? Will he be going downhill from here? All legit questions. I'm of the opinion that we should keep Markov - but not at *any* price. If his demands are too high, then the asset must be turned over.

Now, if they trade Markov for something like a Doughty kid, what then? Is Markov maximized? Will he be going downhill from here? All legit questions. I'm of the opinion that we should keep Markov - but not at *any* price. If his demands are too high, then the asset must be turned over.

on the fear off putting both my feet in my mouth (and being thankful my job is not GM of the Habs).... I would cave :unsure: maybe not Max cap blah blahh cave, you know à la Kovalchuck, but I would go as far à la Campbell cave. this would work in french too cuz I'm sure there would some french media that would call this move.... cave :lol:

(edit)

Now if his eyes want to see a fa'r'ter wallet then that... yeah get something back *sigh*

Edited by ehjay

His demands will not be too high. He proved when he was RFA that he wants to stay here and will stay here as long as we give him a fair deal. Markov is the LEAST of our worries.

I'd trade him for Doughty. But that's like asking if you'd trade a 31-year-old Lafleur for a 20-year-old Yzerman. No duh. Other that, Markov is the engine that makes this team run and he will lost likely be our Gonchar or Zubov, a guy who anchors our D until he becomes too physically broken down to do it any more. Trading him is basically out of the question.

His demands will not be too high. He proved when he was RFA that he wants to stay here and will stay here as long as we give him a fair deal. Markov is the LEAST of our worries.

I'd trade him for Doughty. But that's like asking if you'd trade a 31-year-old Lafleur for a 20-year-old Yzerman. No duh. Other that, Markov is the engine that makes this team run and he will lost likely be our Gonchar or Zubov, a guy who anchors our D until he becomes too physically broken down to do it any more. Trading him is basically out of the question.

Markov was an UFA in 2007, not a RFA. It was around that time that he even acquired Canadian citizenship, I believe.

Markov was an UFA in 2007, not a RFA. It was around that time that he even acquired Canadian citizenship, I believe.

There's no way we would ever get equal value if we decided to trade Markov. Being able to get Doughty is a pipe dream.

Having said that I am worried that a guy like Ovechkin (who Markov is supposed to be friends with and who has called Markov the toughest Dman to play against), will try and get him to go over t the Caps. Know he stayed last time, but I hope Gauthier signs him this summer and doesn't leave t until the end of next year.

There's no way we would ever get equal value if we decided to trade Markov. Being able to get Doughty is a pipe dream.

Having said that I am worried that a guy like Ovechkin (who Markov is supposed to be friends with and who has called Markov the toughest Dman to play against), will try and get him to go over t the Caps. Know he stayed last time, but I hope Gauthier signs him this summer and doesn't leave t until the end of next year.

Caps would have to move mountains to make that happen. They will probably lose Semin by that time, but it won't be to acquire Markov. Backstrom will probably be making $6-7m, Green will need a new deal right away and they do have two very good young D in Carlson and Alzner coming up. Plus, one doesn't know how good of a goalie they'll have at that point in Varalamov.

It's only obvious that Thomas Plekanec will test the free agent market this summer which means that we will need to pay close to $6,000,000 per season (probably more) with a 5 or 6 year contract. Personaly I'm pretty sure that many teams will bid for his services and offer him a delightful and generous contract,therefore I don't feel optimistic about our chances of keeping Plekanec with the habs. We can all thank Mr. Bob gainey and his staff for it!!!! :clap:

Nikohab, have you heard all the reports that state the complete opposite of your opinion that Plek will test the market? If Gainey had of given Plek a longterm contract and than not have him pan out peeps would be wanting his head.

If a player wants more money than he's worth and another team gives it to him, I'm happy for him. This is a tough business, no one will feel sorry for the under paid players.

It's only obvious that Thomas Plekanec will test the free agent market this summer which means that we will need to pay close to $6,000,000 per season (probably more) with a 5 or 6 year contract. Personaly I'm pretty sure that many teams will bid for his services and offer him a delightful and generous contract,therefore I don't feel optimistic about our chances of keeping Plekanec with the habs. We can all thank Mr. Bob gainey and his staff for it!!!! :clap:

What are you basing this assumption on? So far all signs point to Pleks resigning before free agency.

I like Thomas Plekanec but i dont think he is a game changer..his playing good in the last year of a deal and he brings alot to the table but he still miss alot of things i would like to have in a top line C making top $...I thing this comes down to the gm and coach and if they thinks his the man to carry the habs for the next 5 year...

to me he as only play as good as the people around him and watching gomez,cammalleri, and gionta as show him how to work hard every night..The gomez trade as change this team attitude so much and could over been bob best move...

I like Thomas Plekanec but i dont think he is a game changer..his playing good in the last year of a deal and he brings alot to the table but he still miss alot of things i would like to have in a top line C making top $...I thing this comes down to the gm and coach and if they thinks his the man to carry the habs for the next 5 year...

to me he as only play as good as the people around him and watching gomez,cammalleri, and gionta as show him how to work hard every night..The gomez trade as change this team attitude so much and could over been bob best move...

sorry nothing personal but what happened to differentiating "has" and "as" seeing as u use them a lot, its painful to read my man!

sorry nothing personal but what happened to differentiating "has" and "as" seeing as u use them a lot, its painful to read my man!

sorry man...read it in newfie and it works..

What ever happened to should have instead of should of?

It's gone the way of the proper use of the semi-colon and the apostrophe, and now burns in whatever hell awaits a goodly portion of basic English grammar. :angry: