Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Because many people in the league believe that Price is a potential franchise goalie. Fewer people believe this to be true of Halak, although Halak is the better goalie right now. In effect, teams are willing to pay for potential; or so runs the theory.

I have no idea if this is true, but somehow I think it is.

Here is where the argument is consistently lost on the fans and media.

They think in the present, not the future. Comparing Halak to Price for this season, I would start Halak in the playoffs.

I constantly argue that Price has had the tougher opposition, lack of goal support etc, but at the end of the day this is about

the Montreal Canadiens and if they are winning more games with Halak in net than not, go with it.

If Halak falters in any way in the playoffs, Price gets his shot to pull a Cam Ward.

My problem is the assessment in regards to the future. Assuming Halak is going to be the better goaltender moving forward

is akin to assuming that a 14 year old will be a taller adult than a 12 year old because he is at the moment. The 12 year old has

not hit puberty and could spring right past the 14 year old.

Right now NOBODY knows how this is going to play out and the best course of action is MORE INFO!

Is it wise to deal a goaltender with franchise potential at the age of 22?

Is it wise to keep a goaltender and give him big bucks when he has never started more than 50 games in an NHL season?

I think the answer to both of these is NO. The right move is to sign them both and let them slug it out for another season.

Right now the fanbase is entrenched behind Jaro because he is the new flavour of the month, but Price was that flavour

just over 1 year ago. If Halak struggles in the playoffs and Price has a strong start next season the tide will shift again.

It is the m.o. of the Canadiens fanbase.

So projecting about Price "zoning out" is just as absurd as "Sergei Kostitsyn is gone, he will sign with the KHL, he will never

play with the Habs again" nonsense. The fanbase can turn on ONE MOMENT and forget everything that happened in the past

(see Dec 2. 1995).

This debate will not be over until one is actually traded, and the media will continue to stoke the fires because it means

web hits, tv ratings and newspaper sales.

Edited by Wamsley01

Here is where the argument is consistently lost on the fans and media.

They think in the present, not the future. Comparing Halak to Price for this season, I would start Halak in the playoffs.

I constantly argue that Price has had the tougher opposition, lack of goal support etc, but at the end of the day this is about

the Montreal Canadiens and if they are winning more games with Halak in net than not, go with it.

If Halak falters in any way in the playoffs, Price gets his shot to pull a Cam Ward.

My problem is the assessment in regards to the future. Assuming Halak is going to be the better goaltender moving forward

is akin to assuming that a 14 year old will be a taller adult than a 12 year old because he is at the moment. The 12 year old has

not hit puberty and could spring right past the 14 year old.

Right now NOBODY knows how this is going to play out and the best course of action is MORE INFO!

Is it wise to deal a goaltender with franchise potential at the age of 22?

Is it wise to keep a goaltender and give him big bucks when he has never started more than 50 games in an NHL season?

I think the answer to both of these is NO. The right move is to sign them both and let them slug it out for another season.

Right now the fanbase is entrenched behind Jaro because he is the new flavour of the month, but Price was that flavour

just over 1 year ago. If Halak struggles in the playoffs and Price has a strong start next season the tide will shift again.

It is the m.o. of the Canadiens fanbase.

So projecting about Price "zoning out" is just as absurd as "Sergei Kostitsyn is gone, he will sign with the KHL, he will never

play with the Habs again" nonsense. The fanbase can turn on ONE MOMENT and forget everything that happened in the past

(see Dec 2. 1995).

This debate will not be over until one is actually traded, and the media will continue to stoke the fires because it means

web hits, tv ratings and newspaper sales.

:clap: Very well put!

We are going to be ridiculed in the playoffs for such reasons; Poor and slow defence that can't even get the puck out of their zone-We have an offence that is small and cannot gel together no matter how often we keep changing the line ups and our offence is the worst of the legue five on five and lastly our offence cannot even score goals. On a good note our goaltending is decent and we still have to see if Halak will stand on his head for the platoffs. Now after we get ridiculed if we make the playoffs we should try to trade for Iginla as well as trading LaPierre or A. Kostytsin and Hamrlik and Mara or even Halak and get some sizable and character players if they should be available. :hockey:

We are going to be ridiculed in the playoffs for such reasons; Poor and slow defence that can't even get the puck out of their zone-We have an offence that is small and cannot gel together no matter how often we keep changing the line ups and our offence is the worst of the legue five on five and lastly our offence cannot even score goals. On a good note our goaltending is decent and we still have to see if Halak will stand on his head for the platoffs. Now after we get ridiculed if we make the playoffs we should try to trade for Iginla as well as trading LaPierre or A. Kostytsin and Hamrlik and Mara or even Halak and get some sizable and character players if they should be available. :hockey:

You must find a willing partner to make trades and the names you mention are probably not going to make another GM jump out of his skin. Except for Hamrlik all the others have only potential to offer, good potential but still just potential.

You know what really bothers me with this habs team is that they have no identity. For example they can take 15 sots in one period and the next period take 3 or 4 shots on goal, another example when the lead the game by a goal or 2 then they seem to change into a defence team and let the opposition gain momentum on them. makes no sense at all. We better get a point against carolina tonight because if we have to get it from playing toronto we can all say "hasta la vista baby!" :clap:

• 2 weeks later...
Habs are reportedly interested in free agent goalie Jussi Rynnas (4th paragraph).

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Finn...8063/story.html

In case anyone actually remembered this post, Rynnas has agreed to terms on a 2-year ELC with Toronto. The Habs were in the running though.

The Stars, Flyers, Canadiens, Coyotes and Leafs were all thought to be pursuing the young netminder.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=318903

No no no...

get rid of the K brothers, Lapierre, anyone else that isnt willing to sacrifice the body and able to fight one on one...

Enough of mid sized talented players.... Lets go for big sized and fast skating knuckle heads (less talented) players BUT WITH GUTS to complement the real talented mis sized we have... Look at phoenix play

IF Plek wants more than 4 mil bye bye.... save the 5 mil for 2 big 6.4+ younger centres or wingers that will crash the net and be able to win the puck in the corner!!!.. enough kidding ourselves.... Other Hockey teams are full of them why dont we go after them... arggggg

IF Plek wants more than 4 mil bye bye.... save the 5 mil for 2 big 6.4+ younger centres or wingers that will crash the net and be able to win the puck in the corner!!!.. enough kidding ourselves.... Other Hockey teams are full of them why dont we go after them... arggggg

According to Hockey Central @ Noon, Plekanec and the Habs are close on a 5 year, $27.5 M deal...if true, let the fire Gauthier talks begin.

Unfortunately Halak will be traded and if the habs can't trade Hamrlik they will buy out his contract to get more cap space. Regarding Pleks I think it's true that the habs are offering him around 5 million plus a season but I also believe that if another team offers him the same money or even a bit less that he will leave montreal. As for Laps I don't think that he really enjoys playing here any longer and may want to join his friend latandrese which is typical of most francaphone players these days. Please trade away spaced out Spacek along with Mara in order to free up more cash. NOW DURING THE OFF SEASON MONTREAL SHOULD TRADE OR DO ANYTHING TO ACQUIRE IGINLA FROM THE CALGARY FLAMES. NOW WOULD'T IGINLA AND CAMMELERI LOOK FINE PLAYING TOGETHER ON THE SAME LINE? :clap:

Unfortunately Halak will be traded and if the habs can't trade Hamrlik they will buy out his contract to get more cap space. Regarding Pleks I think it's true that the habs are offering him around 5 million plus a season but I also believe that if another team offers him the same money or even a bit less that he will leave montreal. As for Laps I don't think that he really enjoys playing here any longer and may want to join his friend latandrese which is typical of most francaphone players these days. Please trade away spaced out Spacek along with Mara in order to free up more cash. NOW DURING THE OFF SEASON MONTREAL SHOULD TRADE OR DO ANYTHING TO ACQUIRE IGINLA FROM THE CALGARY FLAMES. NOW WOULD'T IGINLA AND CAMMELERI LOOK FINE PLAYING TOGETHER ON THE SAME LINE? :clap:

Mara was on a one year contract, and once Hammer is gone then Spacek can move back to his natural side where he is more productive. The one player I would target would be Jordan Staal. He makes to much money and has too much talent to be wasted on the third line.

Edited by JacksonJ

According to Hockey Central @ Noon, Plekanec and the Habs are close on a 5 year, $27.5 M deal...if true, let the fire Gauthier talks begin.

*shrug*

Wouldn't be the end of the world.

What better option is left to us?

*shrug*

Wouldn't be the end of the world.

What better option is left to us?

What people forget is that Montreal always has to 'overpay' due to the tax situation. Quebecers' income is taxed provincially at about 25% (in addition to the federal tax). This is almost 10% more than the other provinces. So in practice you need to add about $500 000 to a $5 million salary just to compete with, say, the Vancouver Canucks, let alone the much lower taxed American and Albertan markets.

If as a general rule, you subtract $500 000 from most of our higher-end salaries, you see that the Habs are not really outside of market range. Adjusted for tax, 5 years at 27.5 mil amounts to paying Pleks $5 mil per. That's about as good as you can expect.

How'd that work out for the Flames? :unsure:

How'd that work out for the Flames? :unsure:

Iginla would look pretty sweet in the :hlogo: though. He is exactly the sort of player we need; but whether we need him on the back nine of his career, that's a legitimate question. Acquiring 35-year-old stars on the downside reeks a bit too much of the Leafs for my liking. Still, a 3-year deal and a package not involving Subban, I might be able to handle that.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

ESPN reports Price will be packing his bags. Don't have the Insider, so don't know what details

they have given.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/features/ru...atures%2frumors

Yikes!

Yikes!

It's under rumours. My bet is it revolves around him taking the penalty in Game 5.

You don't deal players at their lowest value, it never works.

Especially when he's going to cost very little next season due to a bad stretch and being an RFA. If players were going to be traded for taking penalties in Montreal...we've have back to back massive rebuilds :P

Especially when he's going to cost very little next season due to a bad stretch and being an RFA. If players were going to be traded for taking penalties in Montreal...we've have back to back massive rebuilds :P

I just updated my ESPN account and this is the nonsense within the rumour.

Here are some more signs that the Montreal Canadiens will deal Carey Price over Jaroslav Halak.

During Price's Game 4 start against the Washington Capitals, he: 1) threw the pucks at celebrating Caps' players after a goal and took cheap shots at Brooks Laich and Nicklas Backstrom.

Here's what the Montreal Gazette wrote about that: "What Price did was almost unbelievably bush-league. Something you might expect to see in the 'Q,' perhaps, but never in the National Hockey League and absolutely not from a goaltender for the Montreal Canadiens. ... But Price's play is not the issue here. His behaviour is -- big-time, in my view."

That said, there's already growing buzz that Halak is the goalie the Habs will keep, especially given his strong play in Game 5 against the Caps. There's some talk that Price would be a nice successor to Martin Brodeur in New Jersey, or he could help Philadelphia or St. Louis if they choose to trade for him this offseason.

So, like I thought. They are using Jack Todd's rant as their basis for the rumour.

4 days ago Halak was on the outs because of 8 goals on 30 shots, now the "GROWING BUZZ" is he is the goalie they will keep.

Nothing like looking into the salary situation or using a quote from a GM or upper management.

Edited by Wamsley01

What people forget is that Montreal always has to 'overpay' due to the tax situation. Quebecers' income is taxed provincially at about 25% (in addition to the federal tax). This is almost 10% more than the other provinces. So in practice you need to add about $500 000 to a $5 million salary just to compete with, say, the Vancouver Canucks, let alone the much lower taxed American and Albertan markets.

If as a general rule, you subtract $500 000 from most of our higher-end salaries, you see that the Habs are not really outside of market range. Adjusted for tax, 5 years at 27.5 mil amounts to paying Pleks $5 mil per. That's about as good as you can expect.

non-canadians are pretty much exempt from taxes in Quebec. they pay minimal taxes.