Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Spilled milk! Fair enough. The issue is less that we suck (we don't - in fact we are underrated) than whether our asset management has been all it could be. But no, this wasn't meant as yet another 'sky is falling'-type post. I've been pretty clear that I like our team as a whole and believe us to be fairly close to contending. Didn't mean to come off as whiny.

What I think is that the Habs have continued to produce a lot of NHL talent from the draft. It isn't always top level talent, but they are always rated highly when it comes to NHLers developed. With that being the case, how many of these guys can you keep and how amazing does an organization have to be to maximize on every single asset?

What did the Wings get for Avery? What did they get for Leino? What did they get for Kopecky? Kyle Quincey? They got a washed up Bertuzzi for Matthias.

Outside of Ribeiro and possibly Grabovski, I think the Habs have jettisoned most of the average assets and kept the right ones. I am always amazed that a franchise strong suit can be turned into a negative. If the mighty Red Wings can continually receive little in return for their depth assets, why is it that the Canadiens are inept for letting mediocre NHLers like Hainsey and O'Byrne walk. The jury is out on LAtendresse and Kostitsyn.

Bingo. A really intelligent assessment of the Habs' player development and asset management would have to proceed by a very fine-grained comparison with other teams' results in the same areas. The question is whether every team can point to a comparable list of 'ones that got away.' That'd be a huge undertaking - if someone had the energy, it'd be interesting.

Wamsley makes a good point that we must be doing something right if we can lose quality NHLers in a steady trickle and yet be competitive and, indeed, improve from where we were 5 years ago...still, without that close comparative assessment, it ultimately remains an open question.

Avery was traded as part of the package for Mathieu Schneider, so they got quite a bit for him, but all the others were lost for little/nothing. I was floored when they put Quincey on waivers and kept Meech instead, as an example.

Add Streit to that list Wamsley and I'm with you, though obviously McD is looking good early in NY. I'm not overly concerned about the other players we lost. I'd still bring some of the others back (I'd take Higgins back) as free agents, but I'm quite happy we got Pacioretty, Gorges, and Eller in the deals we made.

I just think Carbo screwed up big time the pre-2009 team. That's where my anger lies... we could've been a much better team with the right guy leading the show. But its in the past now. And that's all I'm commenting on whenever I bring it up.

Apparently Maxime Talbot is interested in the Canadiens: an English translation of the article posted on the HW front page for the unfortunately unilingual of us-- courtesy of Google

French to English translation

As all hockey players, forward of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Maxime Talbot, achieved a childhood dream when he won the Stanley Cup in 2009.

This victory, celebrated Quebeckers in particular with young patients who, through the Children's Wish Foundation, had also achieved their greatest wish.

"When I played with the Penguins, I was looking for a way to celebrate," says Talbot. My cousin was involved in the foundation, so we thought it was a good idea to organize a day with the Cup. "

Talbot has met the children along with the coveted trophy, at a party in Saint-Bruno-de-Montarville. A defining moment, obviously, because for two years, Talbot was also an ambassador for the foundation during its annual golf tournament. There was also Tuesday at the seventh presentation of the classic, held at Club de Golf Le Mirage.

"It's special because the children I meet, they have lived their dream, he says. I remember a little girl. It was the captain of his hockey team and she was able to start playing, because she was healed. "

It remains unclear

Spring is long for a player of 27 years. Not only did the Penguins were eliminated in the first round, but Talbot is still unclear whether endorse their uniform again next season.

Unrestricted free agent July 1, Quebec's claims to have discussed with the organization. Of course, what they expect is a good offer. Unless he also hopes the Penguins, the team with which he lives for six years, finds their account.

"I really do not know what will happen," he confirms. Obviously I would stay there, but I want it to be good for everybody. "

Talbot said many times: it would not close the door to the Montreal Canadiens if ever an offer presented itself, during the summer. "Except as Pittsburgh, it's still my first choice ..." he reiterated.

Since it is now on leave, said the attacker does not follow too closely the Stanley Cup Finals between the Boston Bruins and Vancouver Canucks.

"I watch quietly. I'm not surprised if the course because I knew that Boston was a good team. But I dare not comment on the final outcome of the seventh game. "

http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?12478

Wouldn't it be great if we got Talbot, I'd love to see him in a habs jersey.

OOPs; I missed this when I posted the english translation. It is good news that he is interested in the CH but who does he replace? Halpern?

What I think is that the Habs have continued to produce a lot of NHL talent from the draft. It isn't always top level talent, but they are always rated highly when it comes to NHLers developed. With that being the case, how many of these guys can you keep and how amazing does an organization have to be to maximize on every single asset?

In this instance of Pouliot's worth, many fans seem ready to accept that him not being qualified and allowed to walk away for free is worth the cap space and roster spot gained.

With that I disagree wholeheartedly. He's worth more. I hope Gauthier feels the same.

Did we the Montreal Canadiens win a playoff ticket on the second last game of the season and won three of seven in the opening round OR are we the team that took potentially the Stanley Cup Champions to seven games before being eliminated? It depends on which brush you are using. Where are we in reality?

In this instance of Pouliot's worth, many fans seem ready to accept that him not being qualified and allowed to walk away for free is worth the cap space and roster spot gained.

With that I disagree wholeheartedly. He's worth more. I hope Gauthier feels the same.

I too, think that Pouilot should be qualified. Given the price and his age, he's worth giving another shot

It's funny, the fans who think he shouldn't be qualified are the same ones who will complain that we got nothing for him.

Other than the dumb penalties he takes, he has all the parts of a quality player.

But Martin has stuck him in his doghouse since last spring and he hasnt seen much ice time since. He hits, can skate and has a great shot and for the amount of ice time he gets he has adequate #s/production for his 2nd full time NHL season.

but either play him, axe Martin (for Muller maybe, i know would be a cold day in hell before that, but..) or get something for him, 2nd/3rd round pick maybe? Palushaj can fill his roster spot,or maybe even Trotter?

I would keep him over Pyatt, who just seems unable to find the net ever (even though he does work hard every shift).quote name='PMAC' timestamp='1308144264' post='419810']

I too, think that Pouilot should be qualified. Given the price and his age, he's worth giving another shot

Pouliot should certainly be qualified. He's talented, he's cheap - what does it hurt to take a flyer on him? But blaming Martin for his hapelessness is just silly. He is a perimeter player/head case who will not succeed until he resolves whatever mental issues are dragging him down, whether they be work ethic, courage, or self-confidence. There is a reason Minny cut him loose and Mario Tremblay, his former coach, oozes total contempt for him.

Pouliot should certainly be qualified. He's talented, he's cheap - what does it hurt to take a flyer on him? But blaming Martin for his hapelessness is just silly. He is a perimeter player/head case who will not succeed until he resolves whatever mental issues are dragging him down, whether they be work ethic, courage, or self-confidence. There is a reason Minny cut him loose and Mario Tremblay, his former coach, oozes total contempt for him.

Mario's opinion may not be all that relevant, he hated patrick Roy as well. Just saying. :rolleyes:

Mario's opinion may not be all that relevant, he hated patrick Roy as well. Just saying. :rolleyes:

Hee hee - well, to me the Mario who ran out team (into the ground, mostly) is different from the Mario who studied under Jacques Lemaire in Minnesota. The second guy actually has some credentials. Anyway, nothing about Pouliot's tenure in Montreal has suggested a player with a winning mentality.

Pouliot has skill, but lacks in hockey sense. That's why he isn't a top 6 forward right now. It's not attitude, its just a lack of hockey smarts.

He can still be useful, but he's a luxury item for us. He's a guy that can be let go to pinch pennies if need be.

Markov/Trotter tidbits:

CANOE.CA: reports Andrei Markov's agent, Don Meehan, said a new contract for his client with the Montreal Canadiens won't be signed this week, but it's possible a new deal could be in place before the entry draft, which is slated for June 24-25.

RDS.CA: reports former Habs Brock Trotter has been released from his contract with Dynamo Riga and has apparently re-signed with the Canadiens, though the club has refused to confirm the news.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: The Canadiens evidently intend to re-sign Markov, but it remains to be seen for how long and for how much. Hopefully we'll know for certain by the end of next week. As for Trotter, if he is brought back by the Habs, he'll probably spend next season in the minors unless he steps up to earn a regular spot.

I've also added a link on the site about Markov and the negotiations from La Presse. As for Spector's note on Trotter and Hamilton, just bear in mind he'd have to clear waivers. I'm not saying he wouldn't but just keep it in mind.

Hee hee - well, to me the Mario who ran out team (into the ground, mostly) is different from the Mario who studied under Jacques Lemaire in Minnesota. The second guy actually has some credentials. Anyway, nothing about Pouliot's tenure in Montreal has suggested a player with a winning mentality.

Like his credindentials for being able to declare Crosby will retire and won't be back next year.

There are six guys who i don't want to see, here from or listen to again - milbury, cherry, mcquire,Tremblay, houle and corey.

I know it's only an Eklund rumor, but Markov to Toronto scares me, since Burke does tend to load up dman and has money to play with.

The habs really need to lock up Markov, because he won't have any shortage of suitors, even at $6m+. Detroit would also love a guy like Markov.

Btw, why would Trotter have to go through re-entry if he resigned in the off season?

I know it's only an Eklund rumor, but Markov to Toronto scares me, since Burke does tend to load up dman and has money to play with.

The habs really need to lock up Markov, because he won't have any shortage of suitors, even at $6m+. Detroit would also love a guy like Markov.

Bah. Every summer Habs fans quake with fear that Toronto is going to plunder all our players. Markov wants to play here and wants to win. Why would he go to Toronto?

Like his credindentials for being able to declare Crosby will retire and won't be back next year.

There are six guys who i don't want to see, here from or listen to again - milbury, cherry, mcquire,Tremblay, houle and corey.

I am with you on that one buddy. They are all a bunch of blowhards

being that it is a pkrhead rumor I feel we can be pretty confident that he will sign in Montreal. No reason for pkrhead to suddenly be right. :habslogo:

All signs point to a Markov deal getting done before the draft. Probably doesn't leave enough time for Wiz, unless Goats is planning on making a double announcement.

I hope so - come July 1, I think Detroit would be willing to through $6M+ at Markov

Btw, why would Trotter have to go through re-entry if he resigned in the off season?

Didn't mean it as re-entry, just that he'd need waivers to go to Hamilton, referencing the Spector note when he noted he expected Trotter to play in the AHL next year.

Also, Weber to sign 2-year deal? http://www.lematin.ch/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-weber-va-prolonger-avec-montreal

Didn't mean it as re-entry, just that he'd need waivers to go to Hamilton, referencing the Spector note when he noted he expected Trotter to play in the AHL next year.

Also, Weber to sign 2-year deal? http://www.lematin.ch/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-weber-va-prolonger-avec-montreal

Ok- I can't see him being penciled in for montreal unless the don't bring back pouliot and I really think the need to.

I'd like to see a line of pouliot-Eller-desharnais

Having Trotter on the 4th line with Moen/darche is a waste and I'd like see White play everyday next year. So with Moen/darche/white/pyatt and a ufa centre or fro

Someone from Hamilton - where would trotter fit for the type of role he could succeed in?

Throwing in the Jagr rumour would mean moving down AK46 to the third line with Desharnais and Eller - I REALLY DON'T want to see Desharnais as a centre or any lower then the third line and I definitely don't want to see Eller any lower then the third line.

This is why I really hope that they move Moen - white is a cheaper, younger and more physical replacement. Also why I'm still HOPING they demote Gomez and get his cap hit of the books.

On D, nice to hear Weber is resigning, but I also REALLY hope they find a way to bring back both Markov and Wiz and dump Spacek. If PG can find a way to do that, we'd have the best defense we had since the late 80's/early 90's.