Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

IMO

this trade is good only if we get Brown. Penner has been a bust since EDM gave him that ridiculous contract. Seems to me there is an Alex Daigle syndrome with Penner that just can't be cured. Mind you Penner can't be worse then Blunden for now and maybe Blunden will be better next year but for this year....

That said, I prefer what Brown brings to the rink day in; day out then what Cammy brings. And I like the Idea of getting BIGGER on the wings since we can't seem to do it in the middle.

If Penner has to come this way with Brown and the trade has to be $ for $ or close to it. I would offer Cammy and Diaz or Weber. I think that is fair value. We get the sand paper; they get the dainty.

Yes, the last thing the habs need is another center. 5 isn't enough?

I do think they are probably looking, I don't what the habs have that the Kings want.

They can't trade offense for offense. Both teams can't score.

Rumeur's du jour.

1) Gauthier is looking for another big winger. (To which I said to my computer, "Huh?")

2) Staal will be a Canadien before the 19th, in exchange for Plex and Beaulieu.

3) Heated conversations with Columbus.

4) Habs have been talking about Turris

#2, while the most outlandish, was from a more reliable source, IMO. Now, that said, the only rumour here *I* put much stock in is #3. I believe the LA rumour still has legs.

Who was the reliable source?

I saw it from El_chouin.

I wouldn't call him reliable....

I said nothing about reliable. I said *more* reliable! I'm just passing out what I've heard. Most likely, it's almost all bunk. Just fun to talk about and read about. The only one I heard from my own source was the Cammi/Brown thing.

I said nothing about reliable. I said *more* reliable! I'm just passing out what I've heard. Most likely, it's almost all bunk. Just fun to talk about and read about. The only one I heard from my own source was the Cammi/Brown thing.

Fair enough, i just thought maybe you had seen it from a Dreger, or Lebrun, or someone who I hadn't seen.

Rumeur's du jour.

1) Gauthier is looking for another big winger. (To which I said to my computer, "Huh?")

2) Staal will be a Canadien before the 19th, in exchange for Plex and Beaulieu.

3) Heated conversations with Columbus.

4) Habs have been talking about Turris

#2, while the most outlandish, was from a more reliable source, IMO. Now, that said, the only rumour here *I* put much stock in is #3. I believe the LA rumour still has legs.

I don't think the LA one has any legs. For LA to give up their captain, on a team-friendly deal, for a guy they were happy to trade away just a few short years ago? If I was an LA fan and that happened, I'd want Dean Lombardi's head on a platter...more than now with the Sutter coaching decision.

The Staal 'rumour' was from a no-name on Twitter who, if I remember correctly, was proclaiming Martin would be fired on Sunday...after the announcement of his firing came today.

personally, if we were going to pick up any of those centres, i'd rather have rolled the dice on Turris, then the other choices listed. While Umbergher has been kryptonite to the habs, he really hasn't been all that great against the rest of the league and would be another over-priced contract for a guy who is really a number #3 center. We need a true Number 1 or 2. I also think giving up Pleks AND our top D prospect for stall - who really is a 75 point guy would be a mistake - not a gomez type mistake, but nevertheless a mistake.

I really wish PG had tried everything to try and snag Malkin or Stall before Crosby went down again. I think if we had thrown Cammy, Weber, campoli, Moen and a prospect like Bournavil or Leblanc along with a swap of #1 picks, the pens might have been enticed. Given that those guys together make about Malkin makes would give the Pens a lot of depth. I think Neil and Cammy would have made the Crosby line absolutely lethal. Now with Crosby out again, I can't see the pens parting with Stall or Malkin.

The cost for Turris was David Rundblad + a 2nd rounder.

Thats equivalent to trading

One of Tinordi/Beaulieu

and a 2nd rounder

I wouldn't touch that deal with a 20 foot poll. Bryan Murray paid a huge price for a kid with 46 points in 137 NHL games.

As for Malkin, he also can play wing... I didn't see him ever really being on the market for the Penguins. I don't think they are interested in trading quality for quantity.

• Upvote 1

The cost for Turris was David Rundblad + a 2nd rounder.

Thats equivalent to trading

One of Tinordi/Beaulieu

and a 2nd rounder

I wouldn't touch that deal with a 20 foot poll. Bryan Murray paid a huge price for a kid with 46 points in 137 NHL games.

As for Malkin, he also can play wing... I didn't see him ever really being on the market for the Penguins. I don't think they are interested in trading quality for quantity.

I think if Crosby does come back to stay, at some point they have to make a choice between Stall and Malkin. Stall is going to want more money and with Crosby and Malkin each making $8.7M - that is a lot of dough to have tied up in two players - even as great as they are. I think both Malkin and Stall are also going to be a UFA in i believe 2 years, so he is going to be hard to keep.

If they are forced to trade one of them down the road... the best thing about realignment is that we are no longer competing with the Penguins for a playoff spot... so we might have a chance.

However that news is also relatively recent, and I think that before it was made official, there was no chance they'd trade Staal or Malkin to another eastern conference team.

I really wish PG had tried everything to try and snag Malkin or Stall before Crosby went down again. I think if we had thrown Cammy, Weber, campoli, Moen and a prospect like Bournavil or Leblanc along with a swap of #1 picks, the pens might have been enticed. Given that those guys together make about Malkin makes would give the Pens a lot of depth. I think Neil and Cammy would have made the Crosby line absolutely lethal. Now with Crosby out again, I can't see the pens parting with Stall or Malkin.

When was the last time a team did a 6 for 1 deal as you've proposed? And how do we know the Habs didn't inquire about those guys, it can't automatically be assumed he didn't. Even when Crosby returned, one would think that their GM would've been cautious at first in case a repeat instance occurred. That would be akin to the Habs trading Gorges and Emelin two games after Markov came back since he's healthy and ready to go.

Look at me in the eyes and tell me without laughing that you would trade Evgeni Freakin' Malkin for

An aging slightly overpaid Cammy

A 6th-7th dman than can't crack MTL's roster (Weber)

A 5th-6th dman with more offense than defense in him (Campoli)

An aging 4th liner (Moen)

A prospect that will most likely play on their 3rd line fo' life (Bournival or Leblanc)

and a swap of 1st when Malkin will probably help the Habs to improve their ranking

Hey, I've been proposing trading a pacakge that included Cammy and weber to the Pens since last year when the Pens were trying to find a winger for Crosby.

As far as how deal like this can go down - do you not remember the return the Bruins got for Joe Thornton??? Or the return the sens got for Heatley???? Or what Mad mike gave up for Yashin??? Or the biggest deal of all time - the Gretzky trade (which admitadly included a ton of cash), or the highway robbery Quebec pulled in dumping Lindros (which also included cash).

In today's NHL, there is even more of a chance that due to cap constraints, you to pick up the best player for lessor players.

In Cammy the the Pens could get a trigger man with finsih for Crosby that has a successful playoff resume, In Weber/Campoli, they get reasonable defensive depth and I still think Weber has a huge upside to be a #4 Dman. He is only 22 or 23 and at what 26, 27, Streit didnt loook much better then Weber on defense.

Moen replaces some of the grit they lost in Talbot and gives them more depth in the playoffs - he is also a cup winner.

The point is that both Stall and Malkin are going to be UFA's and I can't see the Pens being able keep them both. Cammy should be able score 40-50 goals playing with Crosby and for an offensive minded coach and would be nearly $3M cheaper then Malkin.

Look at me in the eyes and tell me without laughing that you would trade Evgeni Freakin' Malkin for

An aging slightly overpaid Cammy

A 6th-7th dman than can't crack MTL's roster (Weber)

A 5th-6th dman with more offense than defense in him (Campoli)

An aging 4th liner (Moen)

A prospect that will most likely play on their 3rd line fo' life (Bournival or Leblanc)

and a swap of 1st when Malkin will probably help the Habs to improve their ranking

In dealing a star guy for lesser players for cap reasons, the package usually involves a couple pieces going back. Not 6. Campoli could've been had for free earlier and considering he was hurt at the time of which you said Gauthier should've got a deal done, had even less than zero value to them. If I were Ray Shero, I'd have hung up the phone without question as that package is not worthy of a Malkin, not even close. He has 2 years left (Staal 1), so UFA status isn't a factor, especially when the key piece in your proposal (Cammalleri) expires at the same time anyway.

I've been saying since last year the habs should try and sign a bona-fide #1 centre and suggested Malkin last year when he was "struggling" and injured. There may not be any 6 for 1 deals, but really, when you break this down, its a 3 for 1 + 3 prospects for future considerations.

Do you not remember the Flyers trading Peter Forsberg, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, a 1st round selection (Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993, a 1st round selection (later traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs, later traded to the Washington Capitals - Nolan Baumgartner) in 1994, and $15,000,000 cash to the Nordiques for Eric Lindros???

That isn't much different then the Gretzky trade, where the Oilers did add two other guys to LA but only got Jimmy Carson and bunch of picks and cash. Mad mike traded for Yashin, and gave up Chara, Spezza (pick) and one or two other guys I can't remember. SJ traded a second liners and some 4th liners for Joe Thornton.

It pains me to mention what we got for Roy. WHy is it that since the Sam Pollak days, no Habs GM has been able to commit highway robbery (and no, I don't consider the Kaberle trade highway robbery), or even the Kovolev deal (he was a UFA whom no one really thought we would be able to resign), or the GOrges/MaxPac draft pick for Rivet as significant as the SJ's robbery of THornton and HEatley.

When was the last time a team did a 6 for 1 deal as you've proposed? And how do we know the Habs didn't inquire about those guys, it can't automatically be assumed he didn't. Even when Crosby returned, one would think that their GM would've been cautious at first in case a repeat instance occurred. That would be akin to the Habs trading Gorges and Emelin two games after Markov came back since he's healthy and ready to go.

Didn't Cammy sign a 6 year deal? In any event, Cammy does represent a savings of nearly $3M. I through in Campoli right now as an example, but even last year, I was pushing for moving Cammy to the Pens and said at that time, that as much as i love Subban, Malkin is one guy I would be willing to move Subban for. Yes usually, there are only three peices going back - however, the Lindros deal is an example of a lot more PLUS a ton of cash ($15M). I'd be willing to move those guys for a guy like do that to get a Malkin - a guy we are never in a position to draft.

Didn't Cammy sign a 6 year deal?

In any event, Cammy does represent a savings of nearly $3M. I through in Campoli right now as an example, but even last year, I was pushing for moving Cammy to the Pens and said at that time, that as much as i love Subban, Malkin is one guy I would be willing to move Subban for.

Nope, only Plekanec is on a 6 year pact. Cammalleri and Gionta were both 5 year ones. Cammalleri and Subban for Malkin? That'd be something they'd probably consider more than Cammalleri and a collection of depth guys, possible future decent guys, and prospects/picks.