Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I'd want Thornton on this team next season as much as I wanna see Bourque still around.

Pax XXXXX Cole

XXXXX Plek XXXXX

XXXXX Eller Leblanc

Moen XXXXX White

This is what I see. Unfortunately lol

You must plan on cleaning house? Whereas i see only 1 swap of centreman for Plekanec.

With Stastny centering Pacioretty at the world's and both piling up the points, he seems like would be a nice fit and Aves may be into acquiring Thomas?

Last time there were Stastny rumours, I think the Avs wanted a kings ransom for him.

Also, I wouldn't buy into too many rumours of the Avalanche trying to acquire a goalie. They need better defence and more scoring.

I can see the Avs moving him but it'll be a partial salary dump while also trying to improve defence and scoring. I'm guessing they'll want a first rounder and a prospect since Duchene, O'Reilly and Johnson are all up for new contracts.

You must plan on cleaning house? Whereas i see only 1 swap of centreman for Plekanec.

With Stastny centering Pacioretty at the world's and both piling up the points, he seems like would be a nice fit and Aves may be into acquiring Thomas?

Clearly, I have expectations or a particular mindset at looking at chemistry and what a playoff team should look like. I dont have faith in Gionta, and think we should Cammalleri him before he Gomez'. Guys like Geoffrion, Bourque & Palushaj are too one dimensional. I'd love to see a Stajan Hagman etc for Phaneuf type deal. Essentially, a bunch of able and affordable above average interchangable nhlers for an intangible. How's that for a sentence! pff

I like the idea of adding Statsny. Mostly because you can add right handed power forward in Chris Stewart or David Jones, And have instant chemistry. Another interesting player is Wolski. Whom old pal Tallon happens to be in posession of in FLA.

I like Stastny and all, but is he actually better than Pleks? 57 and 53 points in his last two seasons. Granted, he had a number of PPG seasons earlier in his career...but is there an explanation for this drop-off and any hard reason to believe Montreal would fix it? Pleks, meanwhile, was basically a one-man line all season and still got as many points as Stastny. Personally, I'm in no rush to get rid of what seems to be a hard working C with good skills and character, and I'd want some assurance that his replacement is a significant and genuine upgrade.

• Upvote 1

I like Stastny and all, but is he actually better than Pleks? 57 and 53 points in his last two seasons. Granted, he had a number of PPG seasons earlier in his career...but is there an explanation for this drop-off and any hard reason to believe Montreal would fix it? Pleks, meanwhile, was basically a one-man line all season and still got as many points as Stastny. Personally, I'm in no rush to get rid of what seems to be a hard working C with good skills and character, and I'd want some assurance that his replacement is a significant and genuine upgrade.

I prefer Plek to Stastny, due to both cap and defensive play.

What I really want is a coach to handle Plekanec like the player he is.

Stastny is an upgrade in every catagory, cept PK maybe??

Stastny is 12th in league on face offs (which is one achilles heal of habs) Thomas is 54th and has been his whole career sub 50%.

Stastny has him in size, he is a NHL average 6'0" and 205lb, Thomas is not even average size.

Stastny has bout same points in over 100 fewer games.

Stastny is 3 years younger.

Stastny has 3 years with 70-80 points out of his 6 years in league on a shitty team.

I am not saying Stastny would be a cure-all and the guy to go after; and i also love Thomas's play and his has an affordable (undervalued maybe) contract; but if Bergevin is too reshape the team i see having 2 small forwards as top 2 centres as the first place to start a retooling.

But a Stastny-like centre, could be JoeThorton/Marleau/O Reilly/Stall/Getzlaf or any of a number of all-star centres would fit between Cole and Pacioretty nicely, and Stastny seems to have some chemisty with Max.

And many other GMs might see Plekanec as a nice fit for an underperforming/stagnant team.

Stastny is an upgrade in every catagory, cept PK maybe??

Stastny is 12th in league on face offs (which is one achilles heal of habs) Thomas is 54th and has been his whole career sub 50%.

Stastny has him in size, he is a NHL average 6'0" and 205lb, Thomas is not even average size.

Stastny has bout same points in over 100 fewer games.

Stastny is 3 years younger.

Stastny has 3 years with 70-80 points out of his 6 years in league on a shitty team.

I'd respectfully submit a great big "who cares" for most of those stats.

Yes, Stastny's FO% was 6 points better last season. At an average of 20 face-offs per game, that translates into one additional face-off won each game. While it's nice that Stastny wins 11 out of 20 face-offs, I can live with Pleks winning merely 10 out of 20.

Stastny is one inch taller and 7 pounds heavier. Oh my.

As CC pointed out, their point stats have been very similar for the last 3 years, which seems more relevant than their career numbers

Pleks scores his points while also anchoring an excellent penalty kill. Stastny does not.

Pleks is also significantly cheaper.

Beyond the fact that Stastny is 3 years younger, I don't see the value.

I prefer Plek to Stastny, due to both cap and defensive play.

What I really want is a coach to handle Plekanec like the player he is.

Absolutely! And keep him with steady line mates. They put Desharnais in a position to succeed, and he did. And Plek? How many different combinations?

I'd respectfully submit a great big "who cares" for most of those stats.

Yes, Stastny's FO% was 6 points better last season. At an average of 20 face-offs per game, that translates into one additional face-off won each game. While it's nice that Stastny wins 11 out of 20 face-offs, I can live with Pleks winning merely 10 out of 20.

Stastny is one inch taller and 7 pounds heavier. Oh my.

As CC pointed out, their point stats have been very similar for the last 3 years, which seems more relevant than their career numbers

Pleks scores his points while also anchoring an excellent penalty kill. Stastny does not.

Pleks is also significantly cheaper.

Beyond the fact that Stastny is 3 years younger, I don't see the value.

CC wanted some assurance of upgrade over Plekanec and tried to keep it simple, you can say who cares and may not mean dick-all, but i would see as a super change-up.

And the face-off % is a killer to PP/PK and last minute defensive zone face offs, not many star centres are below 50% as Plekanec/Desharnais and Eller all are. Desharnais and Eller still can learn and improve Plekanec has been the same for years with zero improvment.

PLekanec if good on the PK, but Habs #1 PK guy is Price, followed by Gorges, so is easily replaceable, by maybe Eller/Leblanc (heard same about Gill, but PK almost improved once Gill was gone)

And like i say Stastny is but one of several who might reshape the forward group up the middle, Joe Thorton would be another whose team is maybe looking to shake up roster? $7/year is acceptable and he brings alot to table, but may be costly to pry away.

Am very curious to see what Bergevin does to put his stamp on team?

Plek is a core piece if this team is to be competetive and rebound. He's one of the best 2nd line centers in the league. Like Koivu before him. He needs some insulation and we'll see a serious impact.

I still erk at the thought of Plek and DD 1-2. Or 2-2, really.

Question. Of Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, and Filip. Who would, if any, would be ready for a top six role?

Hard to say, at this point, I think its likely that all 3 are sent down (2 to junior and Forsberg to Sweden), however I thought that about RNH at this time last year, I also thought that about Jeff Skinner the year before. You never really know. A kid can come in and knock socks off at training camp, earn the 9 game tryout, and then if he still plays well really take off from there.

Handicapping it though... Most likely to be in the NHL to least likely: Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Forsberg.

Question. Of Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, and Filip. Who would, if any, would be ready for a top six role?

Grigorenko is most ready. Forsberg second, because he plays with some sandpaper, nhl ice surface would take an adjustment period. But, Galchenyuk, if completely recovered and healthy, could out score the others and be the more effective top 6er. Period. But, most ready.. doesnt mean ready ready. Read me?

Grigorenko is most ready. Forsberg second, because he plays with some sandpaper, nhl ice surface would take an adjustment period. But, Galchenyuk, if completely recovered and healthy, could out score the others and be the more effective top 6er. Period. But, most ready.. doesnt mean ready ready. Read me?

That was what I was thinking as well! thx

Well, I wouldn't make 'NHL readiness' part of my drafting calculus anyway, unless the players are all of comparable potential. No way would I trade off future potential for immediate help. It's an interesting question on its own terms, though.

Well, I wouldn't make 'NHL readiness' part of my drafting calculus anyway, unless the players are all of comparable potential. No way would I trade off future potential for immediate help. It's an interesting question on its own terms, though.

Agreed, you take the player who projects to have the best career, not rookie season.

Since coaching interviews havent happened yet, when is it expected, or when is a coach being named really needed? July/Aug? or just after a 2nd AGM is hired?

Since coaching interviews havent happened yet, when is it expected, or when is a coach being named really needed? July/Aug? or just after a 2nd AGM is hired?

They've quietly started, at least in the preliminary stages.

They've quietly started, at least in the preliminary stages.

And i guess is pretty safe to assume Flames and Caps are drawing from a different pool altogeather than Habs and not much worry of being scooped for a francophone coach by either of those teams eh?

And i guess is pretty safe to assume Flames and Caps are drawing from a different pool altogeather than Habs and not much worry of being scooped for a francophone coach by either of those teams eh?

If i'm the caps/flames, i'm waiting to see what happens with Phoenix (i.e. if the deal to keep them there falls through again, Tippet may be available, assuming that Quebec is the logical relocation choice.

Hard to say, at this point, I think its likely that all 3 are sent down (2 to junior and Forsberg to Sweden), however I thought that about RNH at this time last year, I also thought that about Jeff Skinner the year before. You never really know. A kid can come in and knock socks off at training camp, earn the 9 game tryout, and then if he still plays well really take off from there.

Handicapping it though... Most likely to be in the NHL to least likely: Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Forsberg.

I say it doesn;t even matter who's the most ready. I am more interested in who'll be a bigger impact player. Unless of course Bergevin cleans house and then goes with a serious youth movement.

I say it doesn;t even matter who's the most ready. I am more interested in who'll be a bigger impact player. Unless of course Bergevin cleans house and then goes with a serious youth movement.

Ryan Murray will be chosen at #3 and he is ready for NHL, but too young for AHL, so as soon as he is drafted, Bergevin will likely have to make room on roster at #6 d-spot for the kid.

Which may only ential Weber and Diaz being dealt and maybe Beaulieu tossed in as well, in a Plekanec package deal for a top centre?

Ryan Murray will be chosen at #3 and he is ready for NHL, but too young for AHL, so as soon as he is drafted, Bergevin will likely have to make room on roster at #6 d-spot for the kid.

Which may only ential Weber and Diaz being dealt and maybe Beaulieu tossed in as well, in a Plekanec package deal for a top centre?

Noooooooooooooooooooooo not DIaz or Weber

If i'm the caps/flames, i'm waiting to see what happens with Phoenix (i.e. if the deal to keep them there falls through again, Tippet may be available, assuming that Quebec is the logical relocation choice.

Isn't Greg Jamison purchasing the Coyotes to keep them in Phoenix?