Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

Is there any way Pittsburg chooses to move Kris Letang?? While we're waiting for the fun times this weekend to arrive someone posted that Pittsburg may be looking at moving Kris Letang. Do you think there is any truth to this at all? If there is could we ever afford him?? Could he be a replacement for Markov?

At first I thought going after him was a good idea but really isn't he just a suped-up version of Marc-Andre Bergeron?

That is not what we need, we need strength and physicality on our blueline.

Also do you think we might dangle Markov to the Canes for that 5th overall pick that has been rumoured to be shopped for a veteran d-man?

He didn't say that he is good now he said he could be in the future.

Sure.

And i hope so.

Beaulieu has lots of skill and talent, but defense will likely never be his strong suit.

I might even try the opposite of a Markov move and put Beaulieu on the wing? Wont happen, but just a thought.

Sure.

And i hope so.

Beaulieu has lots of skill and talent, but defense will likely never be his strong suit.

I might even try the opposite of a Markov move and put Beaulieu on the wing? Wont happen, but just a thought.

His defense will never be better than his offense, so indeed it won't ever be his strong suit...

But his defense isn't awful. He's learning in the AHL that superb skating ability won't cover his mistakes like in junior. He's not a pushover physically, and will only get stronger. How a guy is in junior doesn't necessarily reflect how he'll be in the NHL. Heck, PK's defense was equally as unheralded but he's now a franchise defenseman.

At first I thought going after him was a good idea but really isn't he just a suped-up version of Marc-Andre Bergeron?

That is not what we need, we need strength and physicality on our blueline.

Also do you think we might dangle Markov to the Canes for that 5th overall pick that has been rumoured to be shopped for a veteran d-man?

That's about the only scenario that i'd be willing to move Markov. I think its a pipe dream, but if the Canes were willing i'd make that move in a second.

Yeah, it is a pipe dream most likely. But I think we could add our 1st and maybe a young forward (Leblanc) and sweeten the deal.

Sasha Barkov if he slips past Nashville or Nichuskin would be amazing for us.

Yeah, it is a pipe dream most likely. But I think we could add our 1st and maybe a young forward (Leblanc) and sweeten the deal.

Sasha Barkov if he slips past Nashville or Nichuskin would be amazing for us.

Markov, Leblanc and our 1st is too much for the 5th overall pick. If we're shelling that out to move up, I would want it to be for a top-3 pick, so we can walk away with Drouin or Jones, seeing as Colorado is saying their not taking Jones #1 overall, instead probably taking MacKinnon.

Guest Stogey24

Letang has a STEEP asking price, the scoring that would come from our D would out match any team. That's a dangerous thing.

Markov, Leblanc and our 1st is too much for the 5th overall pick. If we're shelling that out to move up, I would want it to be for a top-3 pick, so we can walk away with Drouin or Jones, seeing as Colorado is saying their not taking Jones #1 overall, instead probably taking MacKinnon.

I'd make the trade for 5th overall.

Keep in mind that Calgary offered #6, #22, and #28 to move up to #1 and were turned down. Markov + #25 would probably be a starting point to move up to #5, we'd probably have to throw a in second rounder as well as Leblanc. Even then, I'd be surprised if Carolina made that deal.

I'd personally make the trade, you'd get whoever's still there out of Lindholm, Barkov, Nichushkin, Monahan or Nurse that Timmins thinks has the best potential - should be a game changing player for years to come.

Not hearing any rumors.. but any chance Montreal takes a run at Skinner out of Carolina.. him and Subban are friends (I think) and Carolina could keep the 5th while still acquiring Markov...

Not hearing any rumors.. but any chance Montreal takes a run at Skinner out of Carolina.. him and Subban are friends (I think) and Carolina could keep the 5th while still acquiring Markov...

The 'Canes just locked Skinner up long-term, I can't see them looking to move him at this point.

From Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun:

Why do we keep hearing Habs GM Marc Bergevin has been sniffing around to see what he can get for Tomas Plekanec on the market? He has a no-trade clause and three years at a cap hit of $5 million per-season

Garrioch is rarely right but there isn't much in the way of rumours at the moment...

From Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun:

Garrioch is rarely right but there isn't much in the way of rumours at the moment...

Thats probably just hot steam generated by Vinny L. rumors

I've read all the blogs and rumour sites.. And I can tell you this..

Montreal is going to somehow acquire the 14th or 15th pick to draft Anthony Mantha.

I could see a player (DD or Markov plus the 25)

I really can't see the team moving a roster player to move up 10 spots. That's not worth it.

They could, however, try to use one of their 2nd rounders to move up a bit...

LIke many teams, Habs would like to move up in first round. They have 3 2nd-round picks... May wait until draft commences to make their move

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/statuses/350991758617882625

I really can't see the team moving a roster player to move up 10 spots. That's not worth it.

They could, however, try to use one of their 2nd rounders to move up a bit...

Using a player instead of picks makes sense if you have to open roster spots for free agent signings... (Dreams of Bickell and Lecavalier)

Using a player instead of picks makes sense if you have to open roster spots for free agent signings... (Dreams of Bickell and Lecavalier)

You're right, but you'd have to have a pretty good indication you're going to get the guy when you have to trade the player first before getting the replacement.

My gut tells me that Timmins has his eye on a player that will probably be drafted around #14. I bet MB offers our #25 and #34 pick to move up to #14 or #15.

After that, I could see MB making a big trade to land a top 6 forward & then perhaps a signing of either Bickell or Horton.

I still say the Habs need a veteran defenseman to bridge the gap until Emelin returns.

Any truth to the rumours that Montreal is interested in Kris Letang?

I suspect it would take at least:

- 1st round pick

- Markov

- Beaulieu

.. to get him. Does this makes sense? While the thought of Subban, Letang, and Tinordi anchoring our blue line for years is a dream come true - that'll cost a lot of dough in 2014 to have both Subban and Letang signed for probably $7M/year each.

I suspect it would take at least:

- 1st round pick

- Markov

- Beaulieu

.. to get him. Does this makes sense? While the thought of Subban, Letang, and Tinordi anchoring our blue line for years is a dream come true - that'll cost a lot of dough in 2014 to have both Subban and Letang signed for probably $7M/year each.

I really believe in building from the back end, but that deal seems like horrible cap management. If Beaulieu projects to become, say, a #2 defenceman, you're depriving yourself of his many affordable years in favour of a guy who is cashing in big. We'd be carrying two $7-mil-plus defenders and a $6.5 mil goalie (how come no one ever attacks MB for that cap hit?)...unless you expect the cap to rise substantially, that has to make you nervous, no?

I hope not. No one seems to notice that he isn't exactly a defensive force, and quite frankly I think he gets most of his points passing to Malkin and Crosby...

On a related note, is there a website where you can filter boxscores by team and when a player got a point?