Permanent Rumour Thread

Fanpuck33

I'd be totally open to Morrow on a 2 year deal. Don't see the need to switch him to the RW. The habs would defiantely need to move a body or 2 for roster space.

Having good players and competition is a good thing. No one should be guaranteed ice time or a spot. I know that's not reality, but competition makes you better.

Guest Stogey24

Morrow finished the season in Pittsburgh with 14pts in 15 games. Ill take that "washed up" left wing all day.

I'd be totally open to Morrow on a 2 year deal. Don't see the need to switch him to the RW. The habs would defiantely need to move a body or 2 for roster space.

Having good players and competition is a good thing. No one should be guaranteed ice time or a spot. I know that's not reality, but competition makes you better.

Morrow also had 4 points in 14 playoff games. Not exactly suggestive of a guy ripping it up - and if he'd had those totals on a Habs playoff team everyone would be running him out of town on a rail as a washed-up has-been.

But that's not what troubles me; we'd be signing him as a bottom-6 guy anyway, who can maybe do stints in the top-6. What still confuses me is that at LW we've got

-Patches

-Bourque

-Galyenchuk

-Prust

Of those guys, the only one I'd see moving is Bourque...but he brings tools (size, at least occasional willingness to drive the net, some scoring) that this team really needs. He's also 3 years younger than Morrow. Now maybe you can move Galchenyuk to C at some point, but not just to accommodate a 34-year-old UFA Morrow, surely?

You can talk about "moving a body to clear up roster space," but who, exactly, are you planning to move to do that? Not trying to be a gadfly here, I just honestly have trouble seeing where Morrow fits.

Morrow also had 4 points in 14 playoff games. Not exactly suggestive of a guy ripping it up - and if he'd had those totals on a Habs playoff team everyone would be running him out of town on a rail as a washed-up has-been.

He was playing with a cracked kneecap in the playoffs.

Bourque can play either wing. Probably should move him to avoid that silly contract and because he's really not good enough for this team moving forward. Prust, as I had to be reminded about, can play any position at forward comfortably. Morrow wouldn't create that much of a logjam.

Bourque was arguably one of the better forwards on the team before and after his injuries. He also has size. There are plenty of underachievers with bad contracts to move.

Bourque was arguably one of the better forwards on the team before and after his injuries. He also has size. There are plenty of underachievers with bad contracts to move.

He hardly uses his size the way he should and his contributions were overrated because people expected him to be outright terrible. He wasn't better than Pacioretty, Plekanec, Gionta, Gallagher, Eller or Ryder.

I understand that Bourque has a history of being erratic, but I agree with Chris. When healthy he played very well last season and was exactly what the doctor ordered up front. Now, that's no guarantee that he won't lapse back into old habits, but the fact remains.

The thing about supplanting Bourque with Morrow is that Morrow is three years older. Maybe not a big deal. Or maybe it is, depending on what you make of our LW prospects. Nonetheless, I tend to agree that Bourque would be the guy to move out - although it'd be a shame not have both his and Morrow's physical edge on the squad at the same time.

I don't get the need to move Bourque out; at at $3.33M cap hit he's affordable, will likely put up 40-50 pts and can contribute physically. If it was the Bourque we saw the year he was traded to us, then YES, he should be moved.... but I thought he was a valuable contributor last year, and if he continues in such a fashion, I think he's well worth it at that price.

bourque plex jagr

patches briere DD

galchenyuk eller gallgher

morrow white prust

moen

parros

gio**(injured)

bold= not small

seems to me like a pretty damn good offense... a little mix of everything and a team that could with stand even a few injuries.

as long as both jagr and morrow can be signed with no perks like NM clauses we should spend the 4.8 on the 2 guys... why not? its like buying draft picks

No to Jagr, Yes to Morrow.

Gally Eller Gally

Briere Pleks Patches

Bourque DD Gionta

Prust Morrow White/Parros/Moen

... or trade something to St.Louis for Stewart!!!!!!!!!

No to Jagr, Yes to Morrow.

Gally Eller Gally

Briere Pleks Patches

Bourque DD Gionta

Prust Morrow White/Parros/Moen

... or trade something to St.Louis for Stewart!!!!!!!!!

I agree with your last sentence. Morrow is too expensive for the 4th line,but put him on a line that needs someone to go to the net.

I agree with your last sentence. Morrow is too expensive for the 4th line,but put him on a line that needs someone to go to the net.

Unless one of DD, Plekanec or Gionta is moved, I don't see any UFA forward signing with us.

as long as both jagr and morrow can be signed with no perks like NM clauses we should spend the 4.8 on the 2 guys... why not? its like buying draft picks

They don't have that much money though. That would put them right at the cap line with no room to cover for injuries and would guarantee a cap penalty for next year because surely Galchenyuk and Gallagher will hit at least some of their bonuses. That's not the best of ways to head into next year. Realistically, the Habs have around $2.5-$3 M to spend and part of that is earmarked for White. (The difference would be an allowance for callups, bonuses, and saving space for a deadline acquisition.)

They don't have that much money though. That would put them right at the cap line with no room to cover for injuries and would guarantee a cap penalty for next year because surely Galchenyuk and Gallagher will hit at least some of their bonuses. That's not the best of ways to head into next year. Realistically, the Habs have around $2.5-$3 M to spend and part of that is earmarked for White. (The difference would be an allowance for callups, bonuses, and saving space for a deadline acquisition.)

ahh yes... but,

then MB would have to move moen,DD and or Gio for picks or a 2/3 for 1 trade in order to upgrade the lineup or get the salary cap down. we will be a team better situated. we would be sitting in a nice cap position going into next season with money to spend and gally and galchenyuk ready for top 3/ top 6 minutes! roster spots open.

UFA's like jagr and morrow on 1 or 2 year deals are no brainers in asset mangement

sign UFA briere, jagr, morrow. thats 3 definite no questions asked tradable assets.

opens door for trades to upgrade the team or sell back for more picks.

I think sometimes fans over rate the ability to 'just trade X,Y,Z, players for draft picks'. You cannot assume there is a market for players, especially this season when the cap has been lowered.

I think sometimes fans over rate the ability to 'just trade X,Y,Z, players for draft picks'. You cannot assume there is a market for players, especially this season when the cap has been lowered.

i think recent history shows that Jagr and Morrow are in fact tradeable, very easily i might add.

i think recent history shows that Jagr and Morrow are in fact tradeable, very easily i might add.

Jagr cost Boston a first round pick (conditional second that turned into a second because Boston made the ECF) and two prospects.

Morrow was him and a third for Joe Morrow and a fifth.

Veterans with credibility are always tradeable at the deadline. Heck, that's why Buffalo is so interested in Jagr. They don't want Jagr for a Cup run, they want Jagr to trade him at the deadline for a first round pick.

ahh yes... but,

then MB would have to move moen,DD and or Gio for picks or a 2/3 for 1 trade in order to upgrade the lineup or get the salary cap down. we will be a team better situated. we would be sitting in a nice cap position going into next season with money to spend and gally and galchenyuk ready for top 3/ top 6 minutes! roster spots open.

UFA's like jagr and morrow on 1 or 2 year deals are no brainers in asset mangement

sign UFA briere, jagr, morrow. thats 3 definite no questions asked tradable assets.

opens door for trades to upgrade the team or sell back for more picks.

Moen, Desharnais, and Gionta aren't exactly in high demand though; the latter may not be ready to start the season even. I agree with you that the older UFA's are a great way to manage assets for that exact reason, I just don't see teams lining up to trade non-NHL assets (prospects/picks) for these guys right now, not with the free agents that are still out there.

Moen, Desharnais, and Gionta aren't exactly in high demand though; the latter may not be ready to start the season even. I agree with you that the older UFA's are a great way to manage assets for that exact reason, I just don't see teams lining up to trade non-NHL assets (prospects/picks) for these guys right now, not with the free agents that are still out there.

agreed, we dont need to move those guys today! what we need to do is sign morrow and jagr then we'll worry about the cap tomorrow ;)

agreed, we dont need to move those guys today! what we need to do is sign morrow and jagr then we'll worry about the cap tomorrow ;)

Would both fit under the offseason cap ($64.3M + 10%)? The formula is all one-way contracts plus pro-rated two-way guys relative to their amount of time spent on the roster (and there's a lot of them). I don't think they could get both signed and stay under that number to be honest.